Famous Quotes About Aggression
Browse 123 famous quotes and sayings about Aggression.
Top Quotes About Aggression
1. "I have to say, passive aggression gets a bad rap these days. It may not be appropriate in all occasions, but it's a lot better than aggressive aggression."
Author: A.J. Jacobs
2. "The truth is often a terrible weapon of aggression. It is possible to lie, and even to murder, with the truth."
Author: Alfred Adler
3. "People can be so emotionally unintelligent. When I ask them how they're doing they just make brusque comments like "I'm good, thanks." After years of trying to get cashiers to talk about their feelings and having to deal with the bottled-up aggression of the customers behind me, I've lost all faith in humanity's ability to connect with each other at the checkout counter."
4. "A huge majority of parents use some form of physical or verbal aggression against children. Since women remain the primary caretakers of children, the facts confirm the reality that given a hierarchal system in a culture of domination which empowers females (like the parent-child relationship) all too often they use coercive force to maintain dominance. In a culture of domination everyone is socialized to see violence as an acceptable means of social control. Dominant parties maintain power by the threat (acted upon or not) that abusive punishment, physical or psychological, will be used whenever the hierarchal structures in place are threatened, whether that be in male-female relationships, or parent and child bonds."
Author: Bell Hooks
5. "But which is the State's essential function, aggression or defence, few seem to know or care."
Author: Benjamin Tucker
6. "Aggression is simply another name for government."
Author: Benjamin Tucker
7. "Ironically, although the Y-chromosome has become synonymous with male aggression, it is intrinsically unstable. Adam is as much cursed as cursing."
Author: Bryan Sykes
8. "His expression transforms, looking mean in a good way, promising me greed and aggression, things I'd never ask for but long to see."
Author: Cara McKenna
9. "In the different voice of women lies the truth of an ethic of care, the tie between relationship and responsibility, and the origins of aggression in the failure of connection."
Author: Carol Gilligan
10. "Slavery provides comfort to the oppressor. Even more than comfort, it provides power over those who witness. Slavery is, after all, a luxury. Slavery is a distraction, so long as the onlooker is not the victim. Slavery is cheap labor, an outlet for aggression, and, so we've learned over the years, a meaningless object to fulfill sexual desires."
Author: D'Andre Lampkin
11. "Testosterone may not be just a ‘sexual hormone'; it has a lot to do with the way men interact socially. It is indeed sad that testosterone – especially when used as a steroidal supplement – has been maligned beyond belief. So much so, that we tend to associate testosterone supplementation with ‘aggression' and 'doping' or 'cheating' more readily than 'truthfulness' or ‘prosocial' behaviour. In fact, a very small number of people have ever known (or would ever know) about the positive social influences of testosterone."
Author: Deepak 'The Fitness Doc' Hiwale
12. "Courage is often associated with aggression, but instead should be seen as a willingness to act from the heart."
Author: Donna Quesada
13. "Football changed my life and it gave me a platform to get out my aggression and it gave me a sense of value."
Author: Dwayne Johnson
14. "In short, Israel is the measure of our failings and our incompetence. We have waited for a great leader for years, but none came; we have waited for a mighty military victory, but we were defeated roundly; we have waited for outside powers (the US or,in its time, the Soviet Union), but none came to our aid. The one thing we have not tried in all seriousness is to rely on OURSELVES: until we do that with a full commitment to success there is no chance that we can advance towards self-determination and freedom from aggression.-1998"
Author: Edward W. Said
15. "Just as sex is a God-given instinct for the prolongation of the human race, so the desire for property as a prolongation of one's ego is a natural right sanctioned by natural law. A person is free on the inside because he can call his soul his own; he is free on the outside because he can call property his own. Internal freedom is based upon the fact that "I am"; external freedom is based on the fact that "I have." But just as the excesses of flesh produce lust, for lust is sex in the wrong place, so there can be a deordination of the desire for property until it becomes greed, avarice, and capitalistic aggression."
Author: Fulton J. Sheen
16. "Mystery is gone to the certainty of technological principles. So the real terror, the real aggression against life comes in the form of the pursuit of our technological happiness."
Author: Godfrey Reggio
17. "What had survived - maybe all that had survived of Trism - was Liir's sense of him. A catalog of impressions that arose from time to time, unbidden and often upsetting. From the sandy smell of his sandy hair to the locked grip of his muscles as they had wrestled in sensuous aggression - unwelcome nostalgia. Trism lived in Liir's heart like a full suit of clothes in a wardrobe, dress habillards maybe, hollow and real at once. The involuntary memory of the best of Trism's glinting virtues sometimes kicked up unquietable spasms of longing."
Author: Gregory Maguire
18. "As the war went on, opposition grew. The American Peace Society printed a newspaper, the Advocate of Peace, which published poems, speeches, petitions, sermons against the war, and eyewitness accounts of the degradation of army life and the horrors of battle. The abolitionists, speaking through William Lloyd Garrison's Liberator, denounced the war as one "of aggression, of invasion, of conquest, and rapine—marked by ruffianism, perfidy, and every other feature of national depravity . . . " Considering the strenuous efforts of the nation's leaders to build patriotic support, the amount of open dissent and criticism was remarkable. Antiwar meetings took place in spite of attacks by patriotic mobs."
Author: Howard Zinn
19. "Imperialism creates the illusion of wealth as far as the masses are concerned. It usually serves to hide the fact that the ruling classes are gobbling up the natural resources of the home territory in an improvident manner and are otherwise utilizing the national wealth largely for their own purposes. Eventually the general public is called upon to pay for all of this, frequently after the military machine can no longer maintain external aggression."
Author: Jack D. Forbes
20. "WHETHER IT'S A CHILD'S TOY OR A NATION'S OIL, IT'S ALL THE SAME, the Red Rider said. YOU FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU WANT. AGGRESSION. IT'S THE SPICE OF LIFE. War was right: people had to fight for what they wanted. Or maybe balance, as Famine has said -- strength matched with temperance. No, she thought. Not balance, Control. IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT CONTROL, War agreed merrily. [as in the meaning of why wars happen]"
Author: Jackie Kessler
21. "Most of the victims of Nazi aggression were before the war less well off than Germany. They should not be expected by Germany to bear, unaided, the major costs of Nazi aggression."
Author: James F. Byrnes
22. "It's amazing that a thin film of plastic wrap is enough to protect food against the aggression of hungry marauders. Or maybe the plastic cover doesn't act as a shield, but rather the starving mob is staved off by one simple word: Leftovers."
Author: Jarod Kintz
23. "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."
Author: Jeff Cooper
24. "Our capacity to retaliate must be, and is, massive in order to deter all forms of aggression."
Author: John Foster Dulles
25. "There was a very convincing argument made that the extremists have won and the aggression is now supported by the majority, therefore fighting until surrender was the only alternative."
Author: Joichi Ito
26. "In the case of Iraq, notwithstanding the violence there at the moment, the very fact that a hideous regime - responsible for genocide, for the use of chemical and biological weapons, aggression against two neighbors - has been removed in itself is a positive development."
Author: Jose Ramos Horta
27. "We can only win by giving everything and being ready to defeat the adversary with fiery aggression."
Author: Jurgen Klinsmann
28. "Everyone under the age of sixty called it the War Between the States, while everyone over sixty called it the War of Northern Aggression, as if somehow the North had baited the South into war over a bad bale of cotton.Read"
Author: Kami Garcia
29. "Hank was walking barefoot up the dock, carrying his sweatshirt over a freckled shoulder and his boots clamped between thumb and finger of that maimed hand. Lee marveled at the scamper of small muscles across the narrow white back, at the swing of the arms and the lift of the neck. Did it take that much muscle just to walk, or was Hank showing off his manly development? Every moment constituted open aggression against the very air through which Hank passed. He doesn't just breathe, Lee decided, listening to Hank's broken-nosed puffing, he gobbles the oxygen. He doesn't just walk; he consumes distance step by carnivorous step. Open aggression is what it is all right, he concluded. Yet couldn't help but notice the way those shoulders seemed to savor the swing of the arms, or the way those feel relished the feel of the dock. These people...am I one of these people?"
Author: Ken Kesey
30. "Pure unconditional aggression and pure unconditional capitulation are destined to fail as strategies of social exchange in a society of multiple interaction and mutual dependence."
Author: Kevin Dutton
31. "There are spiritual laws at work that most people know nothing about. So when others hurt us, our tendency is to strike back because we assume that we must defend ourselves, defend our name, our honor, our career, and so on. In reality we strike back at ourselves. ... What we consider as justifiable defense of our rights may in reality plunge us into a vicious cycle that can undermine our very spiritual foundation. By reacting to aggression with aggression we lose the opportunity to spiritually benefit from the experience. this law also explains why saints, when hit, often would literally turn the other cheek. (Fr. Maximos)"
Author: Kyriacos C. Markides
32. "Indeed, girls can be so in need of social approval that they confuse harassment for acceptance--thinking that any attention is better than none. Since many girls as well as boys buy the idea that sexual aggression and exploitation is normal masculine behavior, it may not even occur to them to demand to be treated as equals."
Author: Leora Tanenbaum
33. "Is it time for your period, or something?" With unerring instinct, he'd found a great big red button, and pushed it. Wyatt fights to win, which means he fights dirty. I understand the concept because that's how I fight, too, but understanding it didn't stop me from reacting. I could practically feel my blood bubbling with steam. "What?" He turned around, all controlled aggression, and damned if he didn't push the button again. "What is it about having a period that makes women so bitchy?" ... It was an effort, but I said as sweetly as possible, "It isn't that we're bitchier, it's that having a period makes us feel all tired and achy, so we have less tolerance for all the bullshit we normally SUFFER IN SILENCE." By the time the sentence ended the sweetness was long gone, my jaw was clenched, and I think my eyes were bugging out. Wyatt took a step back, belatedly looking alarmed."
Author: Linda Howard
34. "Aggression is inherently destructive of relationships. People and ideologies are pitted against each other, believing that in order to survive, they must destroy the opposition."
Author: Margaret J. Wheatley
35. "Aggression only moves in one direction - it creates more aggression."
Author: Margaret J. Wheatley
36. "There's an Oriental saying I like: "If aggression meets empty space it tends to defeat itself."
Author: Matthew Reilly
37. "Violence is the tool of the barbarian; aggression is the method of the primitive; bloodshed is the way of the savage; cruelty is the manner of the brutish! To be called as a ‘civilised,' man must be peaceable!"
Author: Mehmet Murat Ildan
38. "A wonderful area for speculative academic work is the unknowable. These days religious subjects are in disfavor, but there are still plenty of good topics. The nature of consciousness, the workings of the brain, the origin of aggression, the origin of language, the origin of life on earth, SETI and life on other worlds...this is all great stuff. Wonderful stuff. You can argue it interminably. But it can't be contradicted, because nobody knows the answer to any of these topics."
Author: Michael Crichton
39. "King and Gandhi had found a way to use aggressive impulses to resist injustice without hurting others. Where did the aggression go? The answer, as King would later tell Poussaint, was this: into the courage needed to resist without fighting back physically..."
Author: Nassir Ghaemi
40. "Oh Jerusalem, the city of sorrowA big tear wandering in the eyeWho will halt the aggression?On you, the pearl of religions?Who will wash your bloody walls?Who will safeguard the Bible?Who will rescue the Quran?Who will save Christ, From those who have killed Christ?Who will save man??? ????? ?? ?????? ????????? ????? ?????? ????? ?? ????????? ????? ?????????????? ?? ?????? ????????? ???? ??????? ?? ?????? ?????????? ????? ?????????? ????? ????????? ????? ??????? ??? ????? ????????? ????? ????????"
Author: Nizar Qabbani
41. "But I shot the dog myself. I took him into the barn holding on to his collar. He knew something bad was going to happen, and he rolled over on to his back and showed me his puppy-pink tummy and widdled a bit, quite certain these devices for deflecting aggression would work. I tickled him behind his ear and said, 'Sorry, old son. I'm human-we're not like that."
Author: Pat Barker
42. "NOT CAUSING HARM obviously includes not killing or robbing or lying to people. It also includes not being aggressive—not being aggressive with our actions, our speech, or our minds. Learning not to cause harm to ourselves or others is a basic Buddhist teaching on the healing power of nonaggression. Not harming ourselves or others in the beginning, not harming ourselves or others in the middle, and not harming ourselves or others in the end is the basis of enlightened society."
Author: Pema Chödrön
43. "The root of humanly caused evil is not man's animal nature, not territorial aggression, or innate selfishness, but our need to gain self-esteem, deny our mortality, and achieve a heroic self-image. Our desire for the best is the cause of the worst."
Author: Sam Keen
44. "Mit Sicherheit weiß ich nur das eine, daß die Werturteile der Menschen unbedingt von ihren Glückswünschen geleitet werden, also ein Versuch sind, ihre Illusionen mit Argumenten zu stützen. Die Schicksalsfrage der Menschenart scheint mir zu sein, ob und in welchem Maße es ihrer Kulturentwicklung gelingen wird, der Störung des Zusammenlebens durch den menschlichen Aggressions- und Selbstvernichtungstrieb Herr zu werden."
Author: Sigmund Freud
45. "My dad has a lot of foresight and decided that I would not do any shows in Mumbai till I became a singer and got to sing my own songs. He knew that if I started earning money from shows, I would not have the time and aggression to rough it out to become a singer."
Author: Sonu Nigam
46. "Sorry, but I have to be who I am. Everyone else is taken... So be your self! Speak your truth - if there are people around you who tempt you with non-existence blast through that and give them the full glory of who you are. Do not withhold yourself from the world. Do not piss on the incandescent gift of your existence. Do not drown yourself in the petty fog and dustiness of other people's ancient superstitions, unbeliefs, aggressions, culture and crap! No! Be a flare! We were born that way. Born perfectly happy being inconvenient to our parents. We shit, piss, cry, wake up at night, throw up on their shoulders, scream... We are, in essence, in our humanity, perfectly comfortable with inconveniencing others. That's how we're born, how we grow and develop. I choose to inconvenience the irrational."
Author: Stefan Molyneux
47. "For to be poised against fatality, to meet adverse conditions gracefully, is more than simple endurance; it is an act of aggression, a positive triumph."
Author: Thomas Mann
48. "Those who blamed aggression formed Amity.'…‘Those who blamed ignorance became the Erudite.'…‘Those who blamed duplicity created Candor.'…‘Those who blamed selfishness made Abnegation.'…‘And those who blamed cowardice were the Dauntless."
Author: Veronica Roth
49. "Football is, after all, a wonderful way to get rid of your aggressions without going to jail for it."
Author: Woody Hayes
50. "Only the change on the international scene, the crisis in the gulf, and the strong, firm position of the United States against aggression between two Arab countries created realities that led to the Madrid Peace Conference."
Author: Yitzhak Rabin
Quotes About Aggression Pictures