Famous Quotes About Ames
Browse 3000 famous quotes and sayings about Ames.
Top Quotes About Ames
1. "Is that love? It seems like a pale word, too easily tossed about by people who don't know the meaning of it, who twist it for their own ends. I'm afraid of it now, right up there with clowns, close spaces, and open flames."
Author: Ann Aguirre
2. "At a time when the GOP is playing games with the debt limit, a member of the Supreme Court is refusing to recuse himself from matters he has a financial interest in, and middle class incomes are stagnant, many want to change the subject. I don't. This was a prank, and a silly one. I'm focused on my work."
Author: Anthony Weiner
3. "You burned the city of London in our houses and we felt the flames."
Author: Archibald MacLeish
4. "I believe that a long step toward public morality will have been taken when sins are called by their right names."
Author: Billy Sunday
5. "But if people want to swim in the Thames, if they want to take their lives into their own hands, then they should be able to do so with all the freedom and exhilaration of our woad-painted ancestors."
Author: Boris Johnson
6. "Hugo attacked me." Clary tried not to wince as the astringent liquid stung her wounds.Hugo?" Luke blinked.Hodge's bird. I think it was his bird, anyway. Maybe it was Valentine's."Hugin," Luke said softly. "Hugin and Munin were Valentine's pet birds. Their names mean 'Thought' and 'Memory.'"Well they should mean 'Attack' and 'Kill,'" said Clary. "Hugo almost tore my eyes out."
Author: Cassandra Clare
7. "Wow," I said. "That story is disturbing on so many different levels. One thing that's mystifying about Indian mythology is how often the names change. The skin color changes – she's golden, she's black, she's pink. Her name changes – she's Durga, Kali, Parvati. Her personality changes – she's a loving mother, she's a fierce warrior, she's terrible in her wrath, she's a lover, she's vengeful, she's weak and mortal, then she's powerful and can't be defeated. Then there's her marital status – she's sometimes single, sometimes married. It's hard to keep all the stories straight."Ren snickered. "Sounds like a normal woman to me."
Author: Colleen Houck
8. "You really shouldn't have come," Lord Blackthorne said, his hand slipping across my faceto cup my jaw, fingers brushing my cheek. I shrieked, shrinking back and kicking at my captorwith stocking-covered feet. "Such a pretty child, in such an ugly place. Tell me, do you thinkyour dear husband would mind if I stole a kiss from the bride?"Kicking him in the shin, I spun, making him release me. I climbed off whatever I'd landedon, aiming my palms out and wishing that I could see what the heck was happening. Flamesfrom dozens of candles blinked at me as they lit with the power of my mind. Lord Blackthornetouched my shoulder, his other hand curving around the bodice of my gown, toying with thebeading along the neckline."
Author: Cyrese Covelli
9. "APD is primarily defined as a lack of empathy,' I said. I'd looked it up too, a few months ago. Empathy is what allows people to interpret emotion, the same way ears interpret sounds; without it you become emotionally deaf.'It means I don't connect emotionally with other people. I wondered if he was going to pick that one.''How do you even know that?' she said. 'You're fifteen years old, for goodness' sake. You should be ... I don't know, chasing girls or playing video games.''You're telling a sociopath to chase girls?"
Author: Dan Wells
10. "I didn't have a cell phone because I never needed to play video games or surf the Net, or exchange nude photos with a congressman. - Odd Thomas - Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz pg 137 chapter 19"
Author: Dean Koontz
11. "Because the biological mechanisms that affect our health and well-being are so dynamic, when people change their diet and lifestyle, they usually feel so much better, so quickly; it reframes the reason for changing from fear of dying to joy of living. Also, the support that patients give each other is a powerful motivator."
Author: Dean Ornish
12. "Patriotic'? Dear, dear me!" Scarlett covered her mouth in mock astonishment. "I didn't know that was 'patriotism.' I believe what you intended has ruder names, though no well-bred Georgia lady would admit to knowing them."
Author: Donald McCaig
13. "You know," he said, "every time a vampire says he doesn't believe in lycanthropes, a werewolf bursts into flames."
Author: Elizabeth Bear
14. "In Valdosta, Ga., during a mini-tour event, a player named James Black bet me $20 he could put five golf balls in his mouth and then close his mouth all the way. I tried it but could get only two in there."
Author: Gary McCord
15. "Curiously, only in sports do we agree to eschew technological advances, making rules, for example, to limit the power potential of baseball bats. We understand that technology will ruin our games, but we do not understand that it can also ruin cultures."
Author: Gene Logsdon
16. "Flames from the lips may be produced by holding in the mouth a sponge saturated with the purest gasoline."
Author: Harry Houdini
17. "I think knowing people by first names, not by what they do sexually, is really what it's about. Not being afraid. Fear is the enemy. I've always been comfortable with being gay."
Author: Herb Ritts
18. "When the ignorant have become numerous or powerful enough, they have been referred to by a special name. This names is 'the Wise'."
Author: Idries Shah
19. "You think I'm a fool?" demanded Harry."No, I think you're like James," said Lupin, "who would have regarded it as the height of dishonor to mistrust his friends."
Author: J.K. Rowling
20. "Blay:Better than the full bifta. Especially because Qhuinn was beautiful to watch when he had sex. Just….beautitful.Back when Blay had tried to do the hetero thing, the two had tag-teamed a number of human females – not that he could have recalled any of the women's faces, bodies, or names. It had always been about Qhuinn for him. Always."
Author: J.R. Ward
21. "Music is the language of all. It tames the savage beast and allows us to get over heartbreak. It helps us express what we really want to say and it has the power to lift hearts and awaken our souls…."
Author: James A. Murphy
22. "Anybody can call me Jamie, and you have to watch it when you call me James. Then there's going to be a problem."
Author: James Cromwell
23. "In framing a system which we wish to last for ages, we shd. not lose sight of the changes which ages will produce. [James Madison in the U.S. Constitutional Convention, June 26, 1787. The Records of the Federal Convention of 1787, ed. Max Farrand (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1966), 1:422.]"
Author: James Madison
24. "I tried to push down my anger. One thing I hated more than Daemon's douche-nozzle side was him telling me what to do. "You don't own me, Daemon.""It's not about ownership, you little nut.""Nut?" I glared at him. "I wouldn't call me names when I have a knife in my hand."
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
25. "His natural taciturnity was in his favour; nothing could be more calculated to give people, especially people with property (Soames had no other clients), the impression that he was a safe man. And he was safe. [...] How could he fall, when his soul abhorred circumstances which render a fall possible - a man cannot fall off the floor!"
Author: John Galsworthy
26. "...Or we can blaze! Become legends in our own time, strike fear in the heart of mediocre talent everywhere! We can scald dogs, put records out of reach! Make the stands gasp as we blow into an unearthly kick from three hundred yards out! We can become God's own messengers delivering the dreaded scrolls! We can race dark Satan himself till he wheezes fiery cinders down the back straightaway....They'll speak our names in hushed tones, 'those guys are animals' they'll say! We can lay it on the line, bust a gut, show them a clean pair of heels. We can sprint the turn on a spring breeze and feel the winter leave our feet! We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!"
Author: John L. Parker Jr.
27. "You are still you. The U.S. is still the U.S., held together by credit cards and Indian names"
Author: John Updike
28. "The afrit batted his eyelashes with a ostentatious lack of concern. "Indeed? Have you a name?""A name?" I cried. "I have MANY names! I am Bartimaeus! I am Sakhr al-Jinni! I am N'gorso the Mighty and the Serpent of Silver Plumes!"I paused dramatically. The young man looked blank. "Nope never heard of you. Now if you'll just-"
Author: Jonathan Stroud
29. "Dogs deserve proper names.""Cats, too?""Cats are entirely different. They catch mice."
Author: Julia Quinn
30. "You realize you've been duped by a fish," I said, watching the catfish grin at me before slipping into the dark waters, lost from view. Puck shrugged."Hey, it was going to name one of its grandfish after me," he said, tossing the line into the water again. "That's one of my rules, you know. I refuse to eat anything that names its kid after me."
Author: Julie Kagawa
31. "After everything happened, we all got super tight. I can't deny it. We all just love each other. James Garner and David Spade came on and we fell in love with them too. We've just become a family all over again. We don't want to lose anyone again."
Author: Kaley Cuoco
32. "Biju knew he probably wouldn't see him again. This was what happened, he had learned by now. You lived intensely with others, only to have them disappear overnight, since the shadow class was condemned to movement. The men left for other jobs, towns, got deported, returned home, changed names. Sometimes someone came popping around a corner again, or on the subway, then they vanished again. Adresses, phone numbers did not hold. The emptiness Biju felt returned to him over and over, until eventually he made sure not to let friendships sink deep anymore./The Inheritance of Loss"
Author: Kiran Desai
33. "Well, as much as I love kicking asses and taking names, it's way past curfew for you three"- Arriane"
Author: Lauren Kate
34. "We nurture the candle flames that show the way ahead. We are guerrillas of the word, unsung heroes breathing softly on the embers of the human mind, so that they might re-ignite the hearths around which we once found safe haven. The book is the Light and the Life."
Author: Mark Cantrell
35. "Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams - they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do - they all contain truths."
Author: Muhammad Ali
36. "I know a lot of famous people didn't do well at school, like James Brown; he dropped out in fifth grade to be an entertainer, I respect that... but that's not going to be me. I'm not going to be able to do anything but work as hard as possible all the time and compete with everyone I know all the time to make it."
Author: Ned Vizzini
37. "Vampires are fond of their games. But the games that They play are different than the variants that I'm familiar with. The rules were made to be bent, broken, shattered—and somebody always gets hurt.Always."
Author: Nenia Campbell
38. "The names of the twelve qualities reveal their natures. These names are not given to them until they are called to discipleship. They are: Simon, who was later surnamed Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Thomas, Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Canaanite, and Judas."
Author: Neville Goddard
39. "And, in nineteen seventy two Olympic Games I wasn't really going to be a star, and overnight I became a star."
Author: Olga Korbut
40. "Driving a cab is not really a nurturing type of relationship. You take people and they tip you, they may not tip you, you don't know their names, they don't care about you, you don't care about them."
Author: Pam Grier
41. "Whatever games are played with us, we must play no games with ourselves, but deal in our privacy with the last honesty and truth."
Author: Ralph Waldo Emerson
42. "Then they decided that the fleas that lived on Siamese cats would probably be more intelligent than the fleas that lived on just ordinary alley cats. It only made sense that drinking intelligent blood would make intelligent fleas."
Author: Richard Brautigan
43. "I went to James Monroe High School, a big school in the East Bronx. My first promotion was the first alumni reunion dance. I got all the names and addresses out of the yearbook. It came off very well."
Author: Sid Bernstein
44. "Who the hell is that?!Some call her Satan. Others, Beelzebub. She goes by many names."
Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
45. "There are much worse games to play."
Author: Suzanne Collins
46. "From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, [...] and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attilla and a pack of other lovers with queer names [...] I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest..."
Author: Sylvia Plath
47. "Video games and computers have become babysitters for kids."
Author: Taylor Kitsch
48. "(on cults) The pattern is classic. It is referred to by many names, milieu control and totalism, for example, but the method doesn't change. the essential element in this seemingly mysterious macabre is reclusion. The glasshouse flower of a dream cannot withstand the elements outside protected walls. Such a relationship and belief system cannot withstand a reality check. Therefore, the probability of conversion is much higher if the cult is able to gain control of the individual's environment and communication channels."
Author: Testy McTesterson
49. "So, Belle, what's new today?"Dad," I said, grasping his hands and looking directly into his eyes. "I'm in the deepest love that has ever occurred in the history of the world."Gosh, Belle. When someone asks you 'What's new?' the correct answer is 'Not much'. Besides, isn't it a little soon to cut yourself off from the rest of your peers, depending on a boyfriend to satisfy your social needs as opposed to making friends? Imagine what would happen if something forced that boy to leave! I'm imagining pages and pages would happen - with nothing but the names of the months on them."
Author: The Harvard Lampoon
50. "This has been the century of strangers, brown, yellow and white. This has been the century of the great immigrant experiment. It is only this late in the day that you can walk into a playground and find Isaac Leung by the fish pond, Danny Rahman in the football cage, Quang O'Rourke bouncing a basketball, and Irie Jones humming a tune. Children with first and last names on a direct collision course. Names that secrete within them mass exodus, cramped boats and planes, cold arrivals, medical checks. It is only this late in the day, and possibly only in Willesden, that you can find best friends Sita and Sharon, constantly mistaken for each other because Sita is white (her mother liked the name) and Sharon is Pakistani (her mother thought it best — less trouble)."
Author: Zadie Smith
Quotes About Ames Pictures