Famous Quotes About Archetype
Browse 39 famous quotes and sayings about Archetype.
Top Quotes About Archetype
1. "I think vampires are a timeless powerful archetype that can tap into people's psyches."
Author: Alan Ball
2. "While the Giver archetype is celebrated in our culture, the Receiver is almost wholly unknown. The result? Busyness is a virtue. ~Amanda Owen"
Author: Amanda Owen
3. "The whole film is about people being convinced that they can reduce themselves to their archetypes."
Author: Atom Egoyan
4. "That's not the part of the story that I'm interested in, anyway. The part that I'm interested in is all the personal stuff. I tried to base the powers on family archetypes."
Author: Brad Bird
5. "That's what noir feels like to me. It feels like some kind of recurring dream, with very strong archetypes operating. You know, the guilty girl being pursued, falling, all kinds of stuff that we see in our dreams all the time."
Author: Brian De Palma
6. "I do so love my witches and wicked queens. I find myself drawn to feminine archetypes that previous generations have found threatening or dangerous: crones, oracles, madwomen, Amazons, virgins who aren't helpless, bad mothers. I love to give the vagina dentata voice. It so rarely gets to speak for itself."
Author: Catherynne M. Valente
7. "Activating is about changing people's perceptions of overlooked or invisible spaces. A building can become an archetype, invisible, like for a New Yorker, for example, the Statue of Liberty. You look at it, and it disappears into the thousands of times you've already seen it."
Author: Chris Jordan
8. "I've never read Joseph Campbell, and I don't know all that much about story archetypes."
Author: Christopher Nolan
9. "...Understanding as had the ancients that angels and demons were identical- interchangeable archetypes- all a matter of polarity: the guardian angel who conquered your enemy in battle was perceived by your enemy as a demon destroyer..."
Author: Dan Brown
10. "We all have the archetype inside us of the enlightened being."
Author: Dan Millman
11. "I drove all night, northeast, and once again I felt it was literature I had been confronting these past days, the archetypes of the dismal mystery, sons and daughters of the archetypes, images that could not be certain which of two confusions held less terror, their own or what their own might become if it ever faced the truth. I drove at insane speeds."
Author: Don DeLillo
12. "One of the pillars of 'Cyrano' is recreating a love story and, like any archetype, these great stories tend to be captivating , among other things, because they are made of those universal things that move us."
Author: Edgar Ramirez
13. "In a few decades of reconstruction, even the mathematical natural sciences, the ancient archetypes of theoretical perfection, have changed habit completely!"
Author: Edmund Husserl
14. "I keep trying to explain to people that the archetype of intelligence is not Dustin Hoffman in 'The Rain Man;' it is a human being, period. It is squishy things that explode in a vacuum, leaving footprints on their moon."
Author: Eliezer Yudkowsky
15. "…our aim has been to provide anyone who is seriously interested with an introduction to the world of the archetypes, and to make this introduction as simple as possible. For this reason we have included… a number of schemas, or diagrams, which as experience has shown, make things much easier for most people, though by no means for all." Erich Neumann, The Great Mother, p.xii."
Author: Erich Neumann
16. "I just watched so many Westerns as a kid that you end up using archetypes and sort of tropes of that genre, because there's a language there and you can twist it and turn it on its head or play to it or go sideways at any time."
Author: Gore Verbinski
17. "Any legend, any creature, any symbol we ever stumble on, already exists in a vast cosmic reservoir where archetypes wait. Shapes looming outside our Platonic cave. We naturally believe ourselves clever and wise, so advanced, and those who came before us so naïve and simple…when all we truly do is echo the order of the universe, as it guides us…"
Author: Guillermo Del Toro
18. "While the archetype of the tinker is generally the whipping person in classical bedtimes stories, this particular individual was a tinker by trade and just happened to be economically disadvantaged."
Author: James Finn Garner
19. "I look at the story, I look at the idea and just try to think of it in terms of that whole body of myth and see where the characters fit in and what they ought to be doing-all those archetypes are there to play with."
Author: John Boorman
20. "More often than not, however, the person who flatly states 'Elves aren't like that!' is hard pressed to describe how they really look.... as if Tolkien has summoned archetypes from so deep in our minds that we can only recall them incompletely."
Author: John Howe
21. "Many in business feel they have to live up to a machismo archetype of the big-swinging-dick business leader"
Author: Jon Miller
22. "You have to carry so many archetypes as an actor, especially as a blonde-haired, blue-eyed one."
Author: Kristin Lehman
23. "We like our archetypes and heroes to be what they are at face value. And life doesn't work out like that."
Author: Laura Dern
24. "When you hate women, you hate all the female elements of your own psychology. Jung believed that there were two primary anthropomorphic archetypes of the unconscious mind. The animus is the unconscious male, and the anima is the unconscious female. Because a man's anima, his more sensitive, feeling side, must so often be repressed, it forms the ultimate shadow self—a dark side that is hated and buried. Jung was a big believer in accepting the shadow, embracing it . . . or suffering the consequences in psychic pain."
Author: Lisa Unger
25. "The tricks of magic follow the archetypes of narrative fiction - there are tales of creation and loss, death and resurrection, and obstacles that must be overcome."
Author: Marco Tempest
26. "The smart and funny write Nathan Rabin coined the term Manic Pixie Dream Girl to describe a version of this archetype after seeing Kristen Dunst in the movie Elizabethtown."
Author: Mindy Kaling
27. "Mexico was conquered more by manipulation of myth and archetype."
Author: Norman Spinrad
28. "We live with our archetypes, but can we live in them?"
Author: Poul Anderson
29. "A year earlier, no company had been accorded more faith than Enron; by late November, none was trusted less. And so, a gasping gurgle, a desperate SOS: Enron, the emblem of free markets, the champion of deregulation, reached into its depleted treasury and forked over $100,000 to each of the major political parties' campaign war chests. Then, it shuttered its online trading unit - its erstwhile gem. On November 28, Standard & Poor's downgraded Enron to junk-bond level - which triggered provisions in Enron's debt requiring it to immediately repay billions of its obligations. This it could not do. Its stock was seventy cents and falling, and, now, no gatekeepers and no credit remained. Accordingly, in the first week of December, Enron, the archetype of shareholder value, availed itself of the time-honored protection for those who have lost their credit: bankruptcy."
Author: Roger Lowenstein
30. "In fiction, I searched for my favorite authors, women I have trusted to reassure me than not all teenage guys are total ditwads, that the archetype of the noble cute hero who devotes himself to the girl he loves has not gone the way of the rotary phone. That all I had to do was be myself (smart, hardworking, funny) and be patient and kind and he and I would find each other.As Bea would say, this why they call it fiction."
Author: Sarah Strohmeyer
31. "The feminist story, she reminded me, is a counternarrative, a narrative of disobedience, a chronicle of battle, nto of surrender. Women who do not fit the mold are too often maneuvered, manipulated, and mangled into some culturally safe archetype. The makers of history transformed perpetua intoa cold, unfeeling mother - a villan of sorts. But who is to say that becoming a mother didn't also push Perpetua to become a martyr, didn't cause her to passionatley uphold her religious ideals because she wanted to offer her son the greatest gift she could - an ideal? Maybe, in the end, Perpetua's maternal instincts were precisely what gave her the strength to confront the burliest Roman gladiator and the to lie down with dignity?"
Author: Stephanie Staal
32. "I'm the archetype of a disabled genius, or should I say a physically challenged genius, to be politically correct. At least I'm obviously physically challenged. Whether I'm a genius is more open to doubt."
Author: Stephen Hawking
33. "With the Black Company series Glen Cook single-handedly changed the face of fantasy—something a lot of people didn't notice and maybe still don't. He brought the story down to a human level, dispensing with the cliché archetypes of princes, kings, and evil sorcerers. Reading his stuff was like reading Vietnam War fiction on peyote."
Author: Steven Erikson
34. "Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existence is defined in terms of control."
Author: Terence McKenna
35. "Having already equated the objective psyche or field of immediate experience with the Tao of the I Ching, we might extrapolate further that the structural forms or archetypes are represented by the hexagrams."
Author: Testy McTesterson
36. "If you throw yourself into danger for no reason again, you will have become nothing more than a Dauntless adrenaline junkie looking for a hit, and I'm not going to help you do it." He spits the words out bitterly. "I love Tris the Divergent, who makes decisions apart from faction loyalty, who isn't some faction archetype. But the Tris who's trying as hard as she can to destroy herself... I can't love her."
Author: Veronica Roth
37. "I love Tris the Divergent, who makes decisions apart from faction loyalty, who isn't some faction archetype. But the Tris who's trying as hard as she can to destroy herself … I can't love her."I want to scream. But not because I'm angry, because I'm afraid he's right. My hands shake and I grab the hem of my shirt to steady them.He touches his forehead to mine and closes his eyes. "I believe you're still in there," he says against my mouth. "Come back."
Author: Veronica Roth
38. "Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power."
Author: William Moulton Marston
39. "Archetypes to symbols to thought-forms to emotions to motions to manifestations; that's how it flows. Everything and everyone originates in step one. Even me, you too."
Author: Yannis Karatsioris
Quotes About Archetype Pictures