Famous Quotes About Bono
Browse 41 famous quotes and sayings about Bono.
Top Quotes About Bono
1. "When the late Pope John Paul II decided to place the woman so strangely known as "Mother" Teresa on the fast track for beatification, and thus to qualify her for eventual sainthood, the Vatican felt obliged to solicit my testimony and I thus spent several hours in a closed hearing room with a priest, a deacon, and a monsignor, no doubt making their day as I told off, as from a rosary, the frightful faults and crimes of the departed fanatic. In the course of this, I discovered that the pope during his tenure had surreptitiously abolished the famous office of "Devil's Advocate," in order to fast-track still more of his many candidates for canonization. I can thus claim to be the only living person to have represented the Devil pro bono."
Author: “Mother” Teresa
2. "Other than his ex-wife and despite appearances with a series of cultivated blondes, Edward de Bono has never publicly aligned himself with a woman. 'I'm looking for a fat, cross-eyed hunchback,' he explains, stifling a giggle. 'A prosthetic hump would do.' His delight evaporates when asked about his three grandchildren. 'Am I a doting grandfather?' He pauses. 'I'm a … something grandfather, yes.' The fact that De Bono remains unperturbed by this lack betrays an emotionally austere childhood, and his passions for play, toys, and bad jokes tell of the same deprivation."
Author: Antonella Gambotto Burke
3. "Researchers like Vanessa believe that the key to [bonobos] pacifism and remarkable group tolerance and cooperation is a matriarchal society: Whenever a male starts to bully or attack a female, she cries out and other females band together and discipline the males, re-establishing calm and cooperation."
Author: Ashley Judd
4. "Lucius Cassius ille quem populus Romanus verissimum et sapientissimum iudicem putabat identidem in causis quaerere solebat 'cui bono' fuisset.The famous Lucius Cassius, whom the Roman people used to regard as a very honest and wise judge, was in the habit of asking, time and again, 'To whose benefit?"
5. "Once in a while, I like to polish my halo by taking on a case pro bono."
Author: Dana Stabenow
6. "There are few people who define the word, 'rock star' better than U2's Bono. He's revered the world over not just for leading one of the biggest bands ever, but for his very public work on behalf of the underprivileged in Africa."
Author: Daryn Kagan
7. "Simplicity before understanding is simplistic; simplicity after understanding is simple.- Edward De Bono"
Author: Edward De Bono
8. "Want u 2 suck my cockYou want U2 to suck your cock? Crikey! I had no idea you fancied Bono.No you numbskull I fancy bonINGAnd they say that romance is dead.Look Baldrick I'm treating you to dinner & a movie & u r supposed to put out.You didn't buy me dinner! We ate in Hall!Technically The Prince's Trust paid for that.Skinflint! No sex for you!Not fair. U r looking 2 fucking hot Merlin. Have raging hard on. All your fault. Cannot sit thru movie with erection size of Blackpool tower. Will distract everyone. Cast shadow on screen."
9. "Covjek može uciniti sudbonosni korak mimo svakog smisla, a možda i u inat svakome smislu, narocito ako je taj covjek žena."
Author: Fazil Iskander
10. "Being both more systematically brutal than chimps and more empathetic than bonobos, we are by far the most bipolar ape. Our societies are never completely peaceful, never completely competitive, never ruled by sheer selfishness, and never perfectly moral."
Author: Frans De Waal
11. "In a world divided by chimpophiles and bonobophiles, we all had a good laugh when Stephen peeled his banana. (62)"
Author: Frans De Waal
12. "Female bonobos form a strong sisterhood. They rule through female solidarity."
Author: Frans De Waal
13. "I sometimes try to imagine what would have happened if we'd known the bonobo first and the chimpanzee only later—or not at all. The discussion about human evolution might not revolve as much around violence, warfare and male dominance, but rather around sexuality, empathy, caring and cooperation. What a different intellectual landscape we would occupy!"
Author: Frans De Waal
14. "Male bonobos really don't fit the human male ideal."
Author: Frans De Waal
15. "And I believe in the 13 years Judge Roberts was there, he never turned down a request to give some assistance on a pro-bono case, and this was no different."
Author: Fred Thompson
16. "Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo, sì perché le presenti osservazioni spogliano d'autorità i decreti de' passati scrittori, i quali se vedute l'avessero, avrebbono diversamente determinato. (For in the sciences the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason in an individual man. Besides, the modern observations deprive all former writers of any authority, since if they had seen what we see, they would have judged as we judge.)"
Author: Galileo Galilei
17. "La sangre es el mejor abono ofrecido a la naturaleza."
Author: Giovanni Papini
18. "Prudenta lui ii egala averea. Era de o umilinta excesiva. Niciodata orgoliul nu-l prinsese in capcanele sale. Acest negustor se facea atat de mic, de bland, de placut si de sarac la curte, in fata printeselor, regilor si favoritilor, incat aceasa modestie si bonomie ii pazisera afacerea."
Author: Honoré De Balzac
19. "Is it really 'pro bono' if a lawyer takes your case in exchange for explosives?-Captain Hartung"
Author: Howard Tayler
20. "Zazubila jsem se na nej. „Nedokážeš me porazit, Bono. Ale klidne to mužeš zkusit. Naznacuješ predem, kam uderíš, nehlídáš si porádne levé rameno a tvoje pistole pri magické vlne nestojí ani za hovno. Tak pojd. Ukaž mi, co v tobe je."
Author: Ilona Andrews
21. "Every game designer should make one explicitly world-changing game. Lawyers do pro bono work, why can't we?"
Author: Jane McGonigal
22. "Fucking pro bono work. Going to get me killed one day."
Author: Jennifer Estep
23. "Bono is my inspiration - not only as a rock star but as a humanitarian. We aren't just put on this earth to sell records. Maybe it's because of my upbringing, but I do consider myself a moral guy."
Author: Jesse McCartney
24. "Your dream might not be as extreme as Bono's, but like him you may meet yours before you're ready to run after it."
Author: Jon Acuff
25. "Bonobos, related to chimpanzees and native to the Congo, have been found to engage in French kissing."
Author: Karen Shanor
26. "My family tree spreads wide as well. I am a great ape, and you are a great ape, and so are chimpanzees and orangutans and bonobos, all of us distant and distrustful cousins.I know this is troubling.I too find it hard to believe there is a connection across time and space, linking me to a race of ill-mannered clowns.Chimps. There's no excuse for them."
Author: Katherine Applegate
27. "I spent 25 years clearly understanding that I'm not gonna meet Bono or the Edge. But then it happened at the Grammys when we were all backstage and I just about fell out of my shoes."
Author: Kristian Bush
28. "By the same token, I think news has more and more of a pro bono aspect to all the networks. When we do our election coverages throughout this coming year, it's not a money-maker for us. It is more of a public service situation."
Author: Leslie Moonves
29. "I don't know if watching Chaz Bono will turn your kids into transsexuals, but I'm pretty sure that letting them watch Keith Ablow will turn them into assholes"
Author: Lewis Black
30. "He held out the written pass. "This is what they want us to be," he said. "They want us to be nothing but a bill of sale and a letter explaining where we is and instructions for where we go and what we do. They want us empty. They want us flat as paper. They want to be able to carry our souls in their hands, and read them out loud in court. All the time, they're on the exploration of themselves, going on the inner journey into their own breast. But us, they want there to be nothing inside of. They want us to be writ on. They want us to be a surface. Look at me, I'm mahogany."I protested, "A man is known by his deeds.""Oh, that's sure," said Bono. "Just like a house is known by its deeds. The deeds say who owns it, who sold it, and who'll be buying a new one when it gets knocked down."
Author: M.T. Anderson
31. "Perché piangono gli uomini? Per colpa delle lotte e delle gesta e della maratona delle promozioni, perché vogliono la mamma, perché restano ciechi anche col passar del tempo, per colpa di tutte le erezioni che debbono inventarsi sul più bello dal nulla, per colpa di tutto ciò che hanno fatto. Perché non possono più essere felici o tristi – solo sbronzi o pazzi. E perché non sanno che pesci pigliare quando sono svegli.E poi c'è l'informazione, che arriva di notte."
Author: Martin Amis
32. "Bono: But you write. Why do you write?Michka: well, because I'm unable to express things in another way. I often believe that the words that come out of my mouth are not the ones I should be using. I can't cut things loose unless I'm really sure about them. It's good, but sometimes it's an excuse.Bono: That's often an excuse. You have to dare to fail. I think that's the big one: fear of failure. I've never had a fear of failure. Isn't that mad?Michka: that's the maddest thing, but at the same time I think that's the secret. Because you've never been afraid of making a fool of yourself, you've never been afraid of looking ridiculous."
Author: Michka Assayas
33. "[Professor Kinnerton] Has the fact that we have about 97 percent of our DNA in common with chimpanzees escaped you? How can you still argue we are special and have a soul when we are so obviously animals? ... [Al Gleeson] With due respect sir, the 97 percent is precisely the problem. Are chimpanzees 97 percent of the way to splitting the atom? Are they 97 percent of the way to writing their first sonnet? Someone tittered at the back of the room. Are bonobos 97 percent of the way to putting the first bonobo on the moon? Is there an orangutan somewhere with a simian Mona Lisa 97 percent finished?"
Author: Peter Kazmaier
34. "Bono met his wife in high school," Park says."So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers."I'm not kidding," he says."You should be," she says, "we're sixteen.""What about Romeo and Juliet?""Shallow, confused," then dead."I love you, Park says."Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers."I'm not kidding," he says."You should be."
Author: Rainbow Rowell
35. "Be the Mick Jagger of themailroom, the Warren Buffetof bookkeeping and the Bonoof stapler selling."
Author: Robin S. Sharma
36. "We in the revivalist tradition have viewed grace only in terms of privatized, individualized spirituality. Give people enough Jesus to save their souls, move them to an emotional decision, help them get their hearts right and acquire a more responsible morality, and that will be enough. But that is not enough. It is not even the beginning of enough. God was concerned about those living in dire suffering long before Bono, Angelina Jolie, or George Clooney turned into social activists."
Author: Ronnie McBrayer
37. "This is what songs do, even dumb pop songs: they remind us that emotions are not an inconvenient and vaguely embarrassing aspect of the human enterprise but its central purpose. They make us feel specific things we might never have felt otherwise. Every time I listen to "Sunday Bloody Sunday," for instance, I feel a pugnacious righteousness about the fate of the Irish people. I hear that thwacking military drumbeat and Bono starts wailing about the news he heard today and I'm basically ready to enlist in the IRA and stomp some British Protestant Imperialist Ass, hell yes, bring on the fucking bangers and mash and let's get this McJihad started."
Author: Steve Almond
38. "Bono has commented often that U2 did everything the wrong way around. Other bands started singing about girls and then found the issues in the cosmos and started singing about God; U2 started singing about God and eventually ended up doing a love album."
Author: Steve Stockman
39. "The Latin term pro bono, as most attorneys will attest, roughly translated means for boneheads and applies to work done without charge."
Author: Sue Grafton
40. "Bono is chairman and founding member of Over-Achievers Anonymous. He has an irrepressible drive to be great. He wants to achieve it all, which actually makes him very vulnerable."
Author: The Edge
41. "What was remarkable was that associating with a computer and electronics company was the best way for a rock band to seem hip and appeal to young people. Bono later explained that not all corporate sponsorships were deals with the devil. "Let's have a look," he told Greg Kot, the Chicago Tribune music critic. "The ‘devil' here is a bunch of creative minds, more creative than a lot of people in rock bands. The lead singer is Steve Jobs. These men have helped design the most beautiful art object in music culture since the electric guitar. That's the iPod. The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Author: Walter Isaacson
Quotes About Bono Pictures