Famous Quotes About Bribes
Browse 23 famous quotes and sayings about Bribes.
Top Quotes About Bribes
1. "[I]n communism, you'd threaten a dog into compliance, while in capitalism, obedience is obtained through bribes."
Author: Adam Johnson
2. "Too late for that now," the Eldest Leprechaun said. "The damage is done. Give the thing a name, and it takes shape. They gave a name and a shape to the force that's always hated us. It's everything we're not. It's New Ireland, it's money for money's sake, brown paper envelopes stuffed full of bribes—the turn of mind that says that the old's only good for theme parks, and the new is all there needs to be. It's been getting stronger and stronger all this while.And now that it's more important to the people living in the city than we are, it's become physically real."
Author: Andrew M. Greeley
3. "Numbers of men are getting richer and greater numbers are getting poorer. Alas, both classes have higher expectations these days. In Short, sir, there has been a leap in bribes."
Author: Barry Unsworth
4. "Even the poorest House can be rich in loyalty. Allegiance that must be purchased by bribes or wages is hollow and flawed, and could break at the worst possible moment. Allegiance that comes from the heart, though, is stronger than adamantium and more valuable than purest melange."
Author: Brian Herbert
5. "FIRST MORALGood manners are not easyThey need a little care,But when we least expect itBring rewards both rich and rare.SECOND MORALBrute force or bribes of diamondsBend others to your will,But gentle words have greater powerAnd gain more conquests still."
Author: Charles Perrault
6. "Oh, it doesn't work at all. That's the problem! It's an endless, halting parade of inspections, bribes, and nonsense—but if you're aboard a Texas vessel, you'll find less inconvenience along the way." "It's because of their guns!" declared Mr. Henderson, once more escaping his reverie, bobbing out of it as if to gasp for air. "Concise, my love." Mrs. Henderson gave him a smile. "And correct. Texans are heavily armed and often impatient. They don't need to be transporting arms and gunpowder to create a great nuisance for anyone who stops them, so they tend to be stopped…less often."
Author: Cherie Priest
7. "Bribes are the glue that's kept teenagers and parents connected for generations"
Author: Gayle Forman
8. "They had been corrupted by money, and he had been corrupted by sentiment. Sentiment was the more dangerous, because you couldn't name its price. A man open to bribes was to be relied upon below a certain figure, but sentiment might uncoil in the heart at a name, a photograph, even a smell remembered."
Author: Graham Greene
9. "The cops watched me and the Georges and the other foreigners who worked the streets, and they knew exactly what we were doing. They reasoned, truly enough, that we caused no violent harm, and we were good for business in the black market that brought them bribes and other benefits. They took their cut from the drug and currency dealers. They left us alone. They left me alone."
Author: Gregory David Roberts
10. "Outsiders became keen to join an organization [European Community] that offered attractive bribes to the poor. Greece did so in 1981 and Spain and Portugal in 1986." - written before 2003."
Author: J.M. Roberts
11. "They say that it were great reproof to the king to take again what he has given, so that they will not suffer him to have his own good, nor land, nor forfeiture, nor any other good but they ask it from him, or else they take bribes of others to get it for him."
Author: Jack Cade
12. "It is to be remedied that the false traitors will suffer no man to come into the king's presence for no cause without bribes where none ought to be had. Any man might have his coming to him to ask him grace or judgment in such case as the king may give."
Author: Jack Cade
13. "A spy, like a writer, lives outside the mainstream population. He steals his experience through bribes and reconstructs it."
Author: John Le Carre
14. "Madness alone is truly terrifying, inasmuch as you cannot placate it by threats, persuasion, or bribes."
Author: Joseph Conrad
15. "Trent sighed, visibly bothered at my admittedly childish behavior, but I was hot, damn it, and needed money, and therefore I was vulnerable to his bribes and his air-conditioned car."
Author: Kim Harrison
16. "The white man hated to hear anything about spirits because spirits were already dead and could not be tortured and butchered or shot, the only way the white man knew how to deal with the world. Spirits were immune to the white man's threat...s and to his bribes of money and food. The white man only knew one way to control himself or others and that was with brute force."
Author: Leslie Marmon Silko
17. "In the month and a half since the Earl of Hargate's fourth son had arrived in Egypt, he had broken twenty-three separate laws and been jailed nine times. For what Mr. Carsington had cost the (England) consulate in fines and bribes, Mr. Salt (His Majesty's consul general) might have dismantled and shipped to England one of the smaller temples on the island of Philae.He now knew exactly why Lord Hargate had sent his twenty-nine-year-old offspring to Egypt. It was not, as his lordship had written, "to assist the consul general in his services on behalf of the nation."It was to saddle someone else with the responsibility and expense."
Author: Loretta Chase
18. "Bribes over two dollars are tax deductible"
Author: Melina Marchetta
19. "Bribes and boy bands. That's all you need to be a babysitter."
Author: Mindy Kaling
20. "In poor countries, officials receive explicit bribes; in D.C. they get the sophisticated, implicit, unspoken promise to work for large corporations"
Author: Nassim Nicholas Taleb
21. "Didn't we all grow up understanding that bribes and payoffs - - by whatever name or rationale - - were bad. And that people were supposed to be the focal point of society, not money?"
Author: Ray Bourhis
22. "Everybody does it!" Quirke burst out. "It's perks!""Everybody?" said Vimes. He looked around at the squad. "Anyone else here take bribes?"His glare ran from face to face, causing most of the squad to do an immediate impression of the Floorboard and Ceiling Inspectors Synchronized Observation Team."
Author: Terry Pratchett
23. "By reason of gifts and bribes the offices be given to rich men, which should rather have been executed by wise men."
Author: Thomas More
Quotes About Bribes Pictures