Famous Quotes About Broken Hopes
Browse 8 famous quotes and sayings about Broken Hopes.
Top Quotes About Broken Hopes
1. "I tried to cheer her up, and apparently succeeded in some degree, before the walk was over; but in the very act my conscience reproved me, knowing, as I did, that, sooner or later, the tie must be broken, and this was only nourishing false hopes and putting off the evil day."
Author: Anne Brontë
2. "Men... are bettered and improved by trial, and refined out of broken hopes and blighted expectations."
Author: Frederick William Robertson
3. "After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely."
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
4. "Now he haunts me seldom: some fierce umbilical is broken,I live with my own fragile hopes and sudden rising despair.Now I do not weep for my sins; I have learned to love themAnd to know that they are the wounds that make love real.His face illudes me; his voice, with its pity, does not ring in my ear.His maxims memorized in boyhood do not make fruitless and pointless my experience.I walk alone, but not so terrified as when he held my hand.I do not splash in the blood of his sonnor hear the crunch of nails or thorns piercing protesting flesh.I am a boy again--I whose boyhood was turned to manhood in a brutal myth.Now wine is only wine with drops that do not taste of blood.The bread I eat has too much pride for transubstantiation,I, too--and together the bread and I embrace,Each grateful to be what we are, each loving from our own reality."
Author: James Kavanaugh
5. "In life man commits himself and draws his own portrait, outside of which there is nothing. No doubt this thought may seem harsh to someone who has not made a success of his life. But on the other hand, it helps people to understand that reality alone counts, and that dreams, expectations and hopes only serve to define a man as a broken dream, aborted hopes, and futile expectations."
Author: Jean Paul Sartre
6. "I did not know where I belonged or if there was a place on earth for children who had broken hearts and shattered trustI could not fathom a place where those who were not loved would feel safe from the hands of predators and the leering eyes of those who'd lost a love for innocenceI walked close to walls and never slept, held my breath during long nights of ticking clocks and creaking floors hoping that the monsters in the closet would be too tired to whisper secrets worse than nightmaresuntil a fragment of Truth unlocked the door to a kingdom with air so rarified and pure that demons cannot breathe there and monsters wither in the lightyou do not live in the world it promised you live in the space where God and men do meet, you live in a kingdom undivided, inviolate, a place where you can close your eyes and rest your hopes upon His Love... in this place there is only peace...rest sweet child rest,rest, rest..."
Author: Kate Mullane Robertson
7. "Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then all things are at risk. It is as when a conflagration has broken out in a great city, and no man knows what is safe, or where it will end. There is not a piece of science, but its flank may be turned to-morrow; there is not any literary reputation, not the so-called eternal names of fame, that may not be revised and condemned. The very hopes of man, the thoughts of his heart, the religion of nations, the manner and morals of mankind, are all at the mercy of a new generalization. Generalization is always a new influx of the divinity into the mind. Hence the thrill that attends it."
Author: Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. "Looking heavenward should be our lifelong endeavor. Some foolish persons turn their backs on the wisdom of God and follow the allurement of fickle fashion, the attraction of false popularity, and the thrill of the moment. Their course of conduct resembles the disastrous experience of Esau, who exchanged his birthright for a mess of pottage. And what are the results of such action? I testify to you today that turning away from God brings broken covenants, shattered dreams, and crushed hopes. Such a quagmire of quicksand I plead with you to avoid. You are of a noble birthright. Eternal life in the kingdom of our Father is your goal."
Author: Thomas S. Monson
Quotes About Broken Hopes Pictures