Famous Quotes About Cans
Browse 1913 famous quotes and sayings about Cans.
Top Quotes About Cans
1. "Montaigne said long ago: "Were I not to follow the straight road for its straightness, I should follow it for having found by experience that in the end it is commonly the happiest and most useful track." The doctrine of interest rightly understood is not then new, but among the Americans of our time it finds universal acceptance; it has become popular there; you may trace it at the bottom of all their actions, you will remark it in all they say."
Author: Alexis De Tocqueville
2. "You say your city the way some Americans say this is their country. You never feel right saying that - my country. For some reason looking Mexican means you can't be American."
Author: Ana Castillo
3. "New Rule: Americans have to come up with a better cheese to represent the nation than American cheese. I'm not even sure American cheese is cheese. I think it's aged Jell-O. And it doesn't need to be individually wrapped in plastic, either. You're thinking of condoms."
Author: Bill Maher
4. "(Americans think we Brits drink tea because we're polite and genteel or something, whereas we really drink it because it's a stimulant and it's hot enough to sterilize cholera bacteria.)"
Author: Charles Stross
5. "I live in Italy part time, and they're obsessed with what's happening in LA too. They make fun of Americans, but the world wants to know what's going on in Hollywood."
Author: Debi Mazar
6. "Our constituents paid into Social Security, and they want it paid back to them when they retire. Cutting Social Security benefits that Americans have earned should always be a last resort."
Author: Dennis Cardoza
7. "Americans are fighters. We're tough, resourceful and creative, and if we have the chance to fight on a level playing field, where everyone pays a fair share and everyone has a real shot, then no one - no one can stop us."
Author: Elizabeth Warren
8. "To see for themselves what the United States has been willing to undertake in the name of freedom. We should all visit Normandy. We should pay homage to those brave Americans who stormed ashore at Omaha Beach and gave their lives for the freedom of others."
Author: Fatos Nano
9. "Americans are overreaching; overreaching is the most admirable and most American of the many American excesses."
Author: George Will
10. "The Minister had a great respect for Pyle - Pyle had taken a good degree in - well, one of those subjects Americans can take degrees in: perhaps public relations or theatrecraft, perhaps even Far Eastern studies (he had read a lot of books)."
Author: Graham Greene
11. "There's a lot we can do to improve American's retirement security, but it's wrong to replace the guaranteed benefit that Americans have earned with a guaranteed benefit cut of forty percent or more."
Author: Harry Reid
12. "Death leaves cans of shaving cream half-used."
Author: Haruki Murakami
13. "After the war, historian Marilyn Young warned: The U.S. can destroy Iraq's highways, but not build its own; create the conditions for epidemic in Iraq, but not offer health care to millions of Americans. It can excoriate Iraqi treatment of the Kurdish minority, but not deal with domestic race relations; create homelessness abroad but not solve it here; keep a half million troops drug free as part of a war, but refuse to fund the treatment of millions of drug addicts at home. . . . We shall lose the war after we have won it."
Author: Howard Zinn
14. "Happy. Just in my swim shorts, barefooted, wild-haired, in the red fire dark, singing, swigging wine, spitting, jumping, running—that's the way to live. All alone and free in the soft sands of the beach by the sigh of the sea out there, with the Ma-Wink fallopian virgin warm stars reflecting on the outer channel fluid belly waters. And if your cans are redhot and you can't hold them in your hands, just use good old railroad gloves, that's all."
Author: Jack Kerouac
15. "In my case, I think my exile saved my life, for it inexorably confirmed something which Americans appear to have great difficulty accepting. Which is, simply, this: a man is not a man until he is able and willing to accept his own vision of the world, no matter how radically this vision departs from others."
Author: James Baldwin
16. "In a single moment, we witnessed the worst of human behavior. And in the next, the very best of human behavior. And even more, we witnessed the tremendous spirit of Americans."
Author: Jane D. Hull
17. "Americans are less selfish than some of our politicians believe and will respond with reason and resilience to passionate clarity."
Author: Jennifer Egan
18. "We are hopeful about the opportunities ahead, and stand ready to join this President in an open and honest dialogue about improving the state of our union for all Americans not the select few."
Author: Jim Clyburn
19. "Baseball has long been a national pastime that many Americans have cherished."
Author: Jim Sensenbrenner
20. "Every year thousands of Americans mistakenly refer to Cinco de Mayo as Mexico's Independence Day."
Author: Joe Baca
21. "In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian-Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."
Author: Joe Biden
22. "For eight years Republicans worked around the clock to delegitimize Bill Clinton. For the next eight years, Democrats tried to delegitimize Bush. Now Barack Obama is enduring the rage of his conservative opposition."
Author: Joe Scarborough
23. "More than three fourths of all Americans are vitamin D-deficient."
Author: John Cannell
24. "The Supreme Court has never ruled that Congress can use the Commerce Clause to require individuals to engage in an activity they have chosen to avoid. Yet that is precisely what Obamacare does: It forces Americans without health insurance to purchase coverage. Such a requirement is unprecedented and unconstitutional."
Author: John Cornyn
25. "Americans deserve an attorney general that will be honest with them, they deserve an attorney general who will uphold the basic standards of political independence and accountability."
Author: John Cornyn
26. "He said, "Americans look upon water as an inexhaustible resource. It's not, if you're mining it. Arizona is mining groundwater."
Author: John McPhee
27. "Most previous immigrants came to the United States to become Americans, with no intention of returning home. They relinquished their ties with their homeland. English was their key to prosperity, and they worked hard to master it."
Author: John Shadegg
28. "If the Bush Administration cannot ensure Americans that they will be safe from the flu, how will they protect our country against a possible bio-terror or chemical attack? The American people deserve better."
Author: Jon Corzine
29. "Algún recuerdo limitado y menguante de Herbert Ashe, ingeniero de los ferrocarriles del Sur, persiste en el hotel de Adrogué, entre las efusivas madreselvas y en el fondo ilusorio de los espejos. En vida padeció de irrealidad, como tantos ingleses; muerto, no es siquiera el fantasma que ya era entonces. Era alto y desganado y su cansada barba rectangular había sido roja. Entiendo que era viudo, sin hijos. Cada tantos años iba a Inglaterra: a visitar (juzgo por unas fotografías que nos mostró) un reloj de sol y unos robles. Mi padre había estrechado con él (el verbo es excesivo) una de esas amistades inglesas que empiezan por excluir la confidencia y que muy pronto omiten el diálogo. Solían ejercer un intercambio de libros y de periódicos; solían batirse al ajedrez, taciturnamente... Lo recuerdo en el corredor del hotel, con un libro de matemáticas en la mano, mirando a veces los colores irrecuperables del cielo."
Author: Jorge Luis Borges
30. "Americans, the eyes of the world are upon you. How can you expect the world to believe in you and respect your preaching of democracy when you yourself treat your colored brothers as you do?"
Author: Josephine Baker
31. "Democrats thinks and gets things wrong. Republicans don't do anything and blames everything on democrats"
Author: Keita Shimizu
32. "At least forty million Americans can't read and write, according to this morning's New York Times. That is six times as many illiterates as there are people of Armenian descent anywhere! So many of them and so few of us!"
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
33. "Toda criatura se cansa un día de cruzar ríos; entonces pide reposo. Pero no sé de ninguna criatura que se canse de amar, y pida odio"
Author: Liliana Bodoc
34. "Increasingly, Americans don't own America."
Author: Marcy Kaptur
35. "There, Clover found the "gardens and great trees and old cottages...so beautiful" that seeing them exhausted her. It was as if, she joked with her husband, "this English world is a huge stage-play got up only to amuse Americans. It is obviously unreal, eccentric, and taken out of novels."
Author: Natalie Dykstra
36. "Well, rather than to give you my impression on Los Angeles, per se, my older sister's husband is and American, therefore I have a pretty good idea of the, perhaps the characteristics of Americans in general."
Author: Nobuo Uematsu
37. "It was through the Declaration of Independence that we Americans acknowledged the eternal quality of man. For by it we abolished a cut-and-dried aristocracy. We had seen little men artificially held up in high places, and great men artificially held down in low places, and our own justice-loving hearts abhorred this violence to human nature. Therefore, we decreed that every man should thenceforth have equal liberty to find his own level. By this very decree we acknowledged and gave freedom to true aristocracy, saying, "Let the best man win, whoever he is." Let the best man win! That is America's word. That is true democracy. And true democracy and true aristocracy are one and the same thing. If anybody cannot see this, so much the worse for his eyesight."
Author: Owen Wister
38. "There is a funny story I always tell my students...when I came for the first time to the US. I didn't speak English (Only Spanish) & I saw on every door the word "exit" which in Spanish means Success = Exito. And then I said :"No wonder Americans are winners ,every door they take leads to success" ~smile :)"
39. "Whether we're Democrats or Republicans or independents, we have to learn to hang together or we're gonna hang separately."
Author: Parker Palmer
40. "Todo cansa en esta vida, hasta la felicidad, me dijeron una vez. Y no lo entendía. Parecía que hablaban mal de la felicidad, pero no era así.Y no lo entendía. Parecía que hablaban mal de la felicidad, pero no era así. Solo era una pequeña hipótesis de que el encanto en la vida es sufrir un poco para regresar a la paz y valorarla. Los momentos de infelicidad son el combustible de la felicidad. En lo personal, me gustan las relaciones largas con todos sus defectos y repentinas pero momentáneas faltas de adrenalina. Al final es lo mejor. El test del tiempo siempre arroja que es mucho más satisfactorio lo que obtienes de relaciones largas robustecidas a causa de los problemas y sus maravillosas reconciliaciones, que lo que te pueden dar los fragmentados y espaciados fogonazos de la soltería."
Author: Pedro Suárez Vértiz
41. "People are first and foremost Republicans, first and foremost Anarchists, first and foremost a man or woman, and that is a mistake. It hurts the individual and it hurts the whole."
Author: Peter Krause
42. "Television has greater power over the lives of most Americans than any educational system or government or church. It is the control center of most homes-more ubiquitous and more controlling than Orwell's Big Brother"
Author: R. Kent Hughes
43. "I've had opportunities before to run for office - the Republicans recruited me when I was surgeon general, to run for Congress, to run against Gov. Napolitano. But I didn't feel it was my calling... I felt, 'Well, I'm flattered, but I really would rather stay and be the doctor of the nation and stay as surgeon general.'"
Author: Richard Carmona
44. "I count myself as one of millions of Americans whose life simply would not be the same without the libraries that supported my learning."
Author: Scott Turow
45. "Chris: How do you know if a Frenchman has been in your backyard?Teddy: Hey, I'm French, okay?Chris: Your garbage cans are empty and your dog's pregnant.[Chris and Gordie laugh]Teddy: Didn't I just say I was French?"
Author: Stephen King
46. "They are the largest collection of freshwater lakes in the world. They border eight U.S. states and the Canadian Providence of Ontario and at time have supplied water to one-third of Canadians and one-seventh of Americans. They're vaster than the entire New England region and define beachfront to many people who have never seen an ocean."
Author: Susan Magsamen
47. "The next time some academics tell you how important diversity is, ask how many Republicans there are in their sociology department."
Author: Thomas Sowell
48. "For the next century, the Republicans have agreed that we will promote the dignity and future of every individual by building a free society under a limited, accountable government that protects liberty, security and prosperity for a brighter American dream."
Author: Todd Tiahrt
49. "My soul is ten thousand miles wide and extremely invisibly deep. It is the same size as the sea, and you cannot, you cannot cram it into beer cans and fingernails and stake it out in lots and own it. It will drown you all and never even notice."
Author: Ursula K. Le Guin
50. "Thank you for the sacrifices you and your families are making. Our Vietnam Veterans have taught us that no matter what are positions may be on policy, as Americans and patriots, we must support all of our soldiers with our thoughts and our prayers."
Author: Zack Wamp
Quotes About Cans Pictures