Famous Quotes About Choke
Browse 387 famous quotes and sayings about Choke.
Top Quotes About Choke
251. "[telegram to Grant]I have seen your dispatch expressing your unwillingness to break your hold where you are. Neither am I willing. Hold on with a bulldog grip, and chew and choke..."
Author: Abraham Lincoln
252. "Ambassador Winters, allow me to introduce my aunt Abby and her....boyfriend.' Townsed tensed. Abby glared. And Rebecca Baxter looked like she was going to choke on her chewing gum."
Author: Ally Carter
253. "Well, then she had to be tolchoked proper with one of the weights for the scales, and then a fair tap with a crowbar they had for opening cases, and that brought out red like an old friend. So we had her down on the floor and a rip of her platties for fun and a gentle bit of the boot to stop her moaning."
Author: Anthony Burgess
254. "The life we lead is a front for all which the frightful criminal filthymindedness of some of us has left us. A grotesque masquerade of acts & sentiments. Our ideas are only the leftovers of a breath, breath of our choked & trussed lungs."
Author: Antonin Artaud
255. "I coughed and choked, and drowned on moonlight, which tastes like butter and steel and salt and mist. And then, just like that, just when I thought she was going to kill me, suck the air out of my lungs and make me a ghost too, she lifted her hand, and... faded away."
Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
256. "There is another, grimmer history to the filibuster, though, one that carries special relevance for me. For almost a century, the filibuster was the South's weapon of choice in its efforts to protect Jim Crow from federal interference, the legal blockade that effectively gutted the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments. Decade after decade, courtly, erudite men like Senator Richard B Russell of Georgia used the filibuster to choke off any and every piece of civil rights legislation before the Senate, whether voting rights bills, or fair employment bills, or anti-lynching bills."
Author: Barack Obama
257. "Shouldn't you beworking instead of fraternizing with customers?" Ichoked.He smiled. "What are you doing Sunday night?"I snorted. By accident. "Are you asking me out?""You're getting cocky. I like that, Angel.""I don't care what you like. I'm not going out withyou. Not on a date. Not alone."
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
258. "Touch was funny like that. How one movement could choke you and kill you, but another meant nothing more than a caress and an invitation. How sex and rape were just a few motions apart."
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
259. "When I drive the freeways I see the soul of humanity ofmy city and it's ugly, ugly, ugly: the living have choked theheartaway."
Author: Charles Bukowski
260. "Sir," returned Mrs. Sparsit, " I cannot say that i have heard him precisely snore, and therefore must not make that statement. But on winter evenings, when he has fallen asleep at his table, I have heard him, what I should prefer to describe as partially choke. I have heard him on such occasions produce sounds of a nature similar to what may be heard in dutch clocks. Not," said Mrs. Sparsit, with a lofty sense of giving strict evidence, " That I would convey any imputation on his moral character. Far from it."
Author: Charles Dickens
261. "Their daughter scrunched up her hands and legs, waving them wildly in the air. He opened his palm, allowing the babe to kick his hand."Is she like a puppy?"Constance choked. "What!"He looked up. "Will she get her spots later?"Laughter bubbled up from within her as she playfully whacked him on the shoulder. "Yes. Yes, I'm afraid she will. As soon as the sun touches her skin, the freckles will appear."A delicious two-dimple grin spread across his face. "Good. I find I'm rather partial to freckled redheads."
Author: Deeanne Gist
262. "If she lives, she shall be my wedded wife. If she dies--mother, I can't speak of what I shall feel if she dies." His voice was choked in his throat."
Author: Elizabeth Gaskell
263. "Paul's story is good news for those of us who are tempted to put our trust in ourselves, in our own ability to work hard enough to merit God's favor. Grace is so surprising! It's surprising because while it may seem likely that a prostitute would recognize her need for rescue, the homeschooling, bread-baking, devotion-reading mom who attends her local church faithfully (while trusting in her own goodness) will choke on the humiliating message of gospel rescue. Rescue? Why would she need rescuing?"
Author: Elyse M. Fitzpatrick
264. "When I hug trees, the bark marks my cheek and reminds me I'm alive. Or that my nervous system is still intact. The trees breathe all the time and no one really notices. They take in all the air we choke on. They live and die in silence. So I hug them. Someone should."
Author: Evan Roskos
265. "What is it that I especially find utterly unendurable? That I cannot cope with, that makes me choke and faint? Bad air! Bad air! The approach of some ill-constituted thing; that I have to smell the entrails of some ill-constituted soul!"
Author: Friedrich Nietzsche
266. "But think of how much worse it would be to sit here, not knowing. Until the Dead choke the Ratterlin and Hedge walks across the dry bed of the river to batter down the door."
Author: Garth Nix
267. "Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me." The fat man's fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. "My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home."
Author: George R.R. Martin
268. "Shreiking, slithering, torrential shadows of red viscous madness chasing one another through endless, ensanguinated condors of purple fulgurous sky... formless phantasms and kalaidoscopic mutations of a ghoulish, remembered scene; forests of monstrous over-nourished oaks with serpent roots twisting and sucking unnamable juices from an earth verminous with millions of cannibal devils; mound-like tentacles groping from underground nuclei of polypous perversion... insane lightning over malignant ivied walls and demon arcades choked with fungous vegetation..."
Author: H.P. Lovecraft
269. "A seed of hope caught a taste of moisture. Some wishful kernel buried deep, where he was loathe to acknowledge it lest it poison or choke him, began to sprout."
Author: Hugh Howey
270. "A shadow crossed Andrea's face. "I don't want to be his TWT-IHFB." "What does that mean?" "That Weird Thing I Haven't Fucked Before." I choked."
Author: Ilona Andrews
271. "Can you taste it Bruce? Can you taste the filth, the dirt, the oily blackness of that fossil fuel in our mouth as you choke and gag and spit it out? Do you still hear his voice in your head urging you to eat? Eat, eat eat. Your mother's cries. Do you hear them? You should be Bruce. Because I know that it's never left you alone. Now you can eat what you want to eat. For me, for you, for all the others. Now you can consume to your heart's content or your soul's destruction, whichever comes first. So eat."
Author: Irvine Welsh
272. "He gestured at me. "That's Belly.""Belly?" she repeated."Yup. She's my girlfriend."I think I choked out loud."
Author: Jenny Han
273. "I did the 'Tonight Show' once, and I choked up. I get intimidated."
Author: John Candy
274. "I always want to tell these young idealists that the world is not as dangerous as many in the older generation want them to believe...The [people] for whom I feel the greatest sadness are the ones who choke on their beliefs, who never act on their ideals, who never know the state of struggle in a decent cause, and never know the thrill of even partial victories."
Author: Jonathan Kozol
275. "You're a model? Never would have guessed," Jonah said in a lazy, teasing voice that caused Hamilton's head to swivel. He'd never seen Jonah flirt before.The girl tilted her head. The glossy hair spilled down one bare shoulder. "Un moment...you look familiar."Jonah grinned. "Yeah?""'Ave we met? Are you an 'airdresser?""A hairdresser?" Jonah choked out."Guys, we'd better get going," Hamilton said."The name is Jonah," Jonah said, pronuncing his name carefully. He waited for a sign of recognition."Nicole.""Jonah Wizard."Nicole squinted at him. "You are a wee-zhard? Like the Harry Potter, non?""I'm Hamilton," Hamilton said, even though nobody asked."
Author: Jude Watson
276. "Language is political. That's why you and me, my Brother and Sister, that's why we supposed to choke our natural self into the weird, lying, barbarous, unreal, white speech and writing habits that the schools lay down like holy law."
Author: June Jordan
277. "From the short story (and anthology containing it) DONNY DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE :Donny acted like he didn't hear me. "You can't send your mom off into eternity looking like that, Artie. She wouldn't like it." He reached into my mother's casket, shoved his fingers into her mouth like it was the most logical thing in the world.?"Donny, you can't --!"?"I'm just making her look right, Artie. It's what she would want." He tugged hard at my mom's lips. I knew they were cold because I had kissed them a few moments earlier, and for a moment I felt convinced my friend had completely lost his mind. But when I looked inside Mom's casket I knew Donny had done something only a best friend would think to do. My mother was smiling again. And she looked just the way I remembered her, the way I would always want to remember her. I got so choked up I couldn't talk for a few minutes. ?Finally I managed, "My mother always told me you could make her smile."
Author: Ken Goldman
278. "I opened the door and stepped in. Raw pain filled me at the sight of my painting. 'Show me what it looked like, before the fire.' His request surprised me, but I did as he asked. With eyes closed, I projected the exact details of the painting I had poured my soul into. Just as I had experienced his love of surfing in a visceral way, he shared not just the visual beauty of my work, but the love and passion with which I had dedicated myself to it. 'Thank you. Now, it will never truly be gone.' I choked back a sob and went to Mr. K's office."
Author: Kimberly Kinrade
279. "I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. It's always like that. You think you've blown something off and then you say it out loud and suddenly you're all choked up and pathetic."
Author: Kyra Davis
280. "These hands elate my life, choke me, broil my bosom, spank me, give fire to my words, my words, mother, my heart beats in my words."
Author: Laura Gentile
281. "Grief can choke you. It's dangerous, something else you have to beat."
Author: Lauren Kate
282. "Get me some Midol, all right?"Benjamin all but choked. Leon studies the ceiling with a great deal of interest, a smile twitching at the corners of his thin mouth. While Benjamin looked ready to sink into the floor, Leon looked highly amused. I decided I liked him. "I think you should pick your own Midol." Graves even said it with a straight face, but there was a ghost of a grin quirking his lips......"Cause, you know, there's different types."
Author: Lili St. Crow
283. "You should hate me," she said brokenly. "You should leave me—""Hush." His grip tightened, just short of bruising her. "Do you think so little of me? Damn you." He crushed his lips in her hair. "You don't understand anything about me. Did you think I wouldn't want to help you? That I would abandon you if I knew?""Yes," she whispered."Damn you," he repeated, his voice choked with anger and love. He forced her face upward. The hopelessness in her eyes caused a cold pressure to squeeze around his heart."
Author: Lisa Kleypas
284. "No. She will never be queen." She swayed toward him, and he felt like he was being encircled by a python, smothered and choked."
Author: Marissa Meyer
285. "Nikki "Brandon's never hurt anyone. He's competely sweet and adorable."I choked a little on the sip of sparkling water I'k just swallowed. If Brandon was sweet and adorable, I was Satan's bride."
Author: Meg Cabot
286. "But I will hold on hopeAnd I won't let you chokeOn the noose around your neckAnd I'll find strength in painAnd I will change my waysI'll know my name as it's called again"
Author: Mumford And Sons
287. "One hundred and fifty years ago, the monster began, this country had become a place of industry. Factories grew on the landscape like weeds. Trees fell, fields were up-ended, rivers blackened. The sky choked on smoke and ash, and the people did, too, spending their days coughing and itching, their eyes turned forever toward the ground. Villages grew into town, towns into cities. And people began to live on the earth rather than within it."
Author: Patrick Ness
288. "What about Myrnin?"Eve swallowed, almost choked, and Michael patted her kindly on the back. She beamed at him. "Myrnin? Oh yeah. He did a Batman and took off into the night. What is with that guy, Claire? If he was a superhero, he'd be Bipolar Man."
Author: Rachel Caine
289. "I usually make it a point not to cry in front of people, especially hot boys that I'd been totally crushing on before they'd tried to choke me.But for some reason, hearing that there was yet another thing I didn't know just sent me right on over the edge.Archer,to his credit, didn't look exactly horrified by my sobbing, and he even reached out like he might grab hold of my shoulders.Or possibly smack me.But before he could either comfort me or commit further acts of violence upon my person,I spun away from him and made my drama queen moment complete by running away.It wasn't pretty."
Author: Rachel Hawkins
290. "Leo, listen to me." Hazel gripped his hand. "I won't allow you to take the blame. I couldn't bear that after--after Sammy . . ."She choked up, but Leo knew what she meant. His bisabuelo had blamed himself for Hazel's disappearance. Sammy had lived a good life, but he'd gone to his grave believing that he'd spent a cursed diamond and doomed the girl he loved."
Author: Rick Riordan
291. "They have a baby grand piano, but no one in the family plays. They have shelves of books they've never read, and the tension between the couples was so thick it nearly choked us."
Author: Ruta Sepetys
292. "Asshole." "Just for that, I expect you to wrap that dirty mouth of yours around my cock tonight." He narrowed his eyes on me.I couldn't believe he'd just said that to me in a fancy restaurant where anyone might overhear. "Are you kidding?" "Babe," he gave me a look that suggested I was missing the obvious, "I never kid about blowjobs."Our waiter had descended on us just in time to hear those romantic words and his rosy cheeks betrayed his embarrassment. "Ready to order?" he croaked out."Yes," Braden answered, obviously uncaring he'd been overhead. "I'll have the steak, medium-rare." He smiled softly at me. "What are you having?" He took a swig of water. He thought he was so cool and funny. "Apparently sausage." Braden choked on the water, coughing into his fists, his eyes bright with mirth as he put his glass back on the table. "Are you okay, sir?" The waiter asked anxiously. "I'm fine, I'm fine."
Author: Samantha Young
293. "Jack stares at me blankly. ‘A what?' he asks. I choke back the laugh. ‘A boy. You know? A Y-chromosome holder? You don't seem to notice them as much as you do the X-carriers.' ‘What are you talking about?' Jack asks, ‘A boy? She's just a kid.' I hesitate, wondering how Jack is only just doing the maths on this one now. ‘She's seventeen. She's not a kid anymore.' Jack looks like he's about to go all Incredible Hulk and burst out of his clothes before rampaging through the bar. He jumps off the stool. ‘If any boy ever lays a finger on my sister, I'm going to kill him,' he says. Again I stare at him in silence, thinking of all the girls Jack has laid fingers and much more of his anatomy on besides. Poor Lila. If she ever wants to have a shot at a normal life, as in one that doesn't require a vow of celibacy, she needs to stay in London."
Author: Sarah Alderson
294. "Well, that's just a little hard, since I can't even talk her into sparing your life, huh? You haven't exactly endeared yourself to her. (Kat)Oh, excuse my utter lack of manners there. Should we call Mommy dearest and invite her over for tea? I promise to be on my best manners when I choke the life out of her. (Sin)"
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
295. "Most people, by the time they get old, have grown tough little shells around their hearts. Babies, like little Laila, start off with tender, loving, trusting hearts, but gradually, gradually, they learn to protect themselves and, as the years go by, grow tougher and tougher layers. Look at this! The outside layers of the artichoke are so tough they aren't even worth eating but they become more and more tender as you come closer to the heart. These tough outer layers stop you feeling so much, so people walk around with hard little hearts that no one can touch. Of course there are some people who don't have a choice – they just never learn to protect themselves...now that can be both a blessing and a burden."
Author: Sita Brahmachari
296. "I thought we had reached an understanding, the institution of marriage and I. Weddings are like the triathalon of female friendship: the Shower, the Bachelorette Party, and the Main Event. It's the Iron Woman and most people never make it through. They fall of their bikes and choke on ocean water."
Author: Sloane Crosley
297. "...so everyone knows they get to see Dr. Demon Slayer on a regular basis."Megan almost choked on her steak. "The who?" "The demon slayer. That's what the station specified we were to call you."
Author: Stacia Kane
298. "He pulled a Tupperware container out of the fridge and set it next to the carton of eggs. "Why do I get the feeling you weren't there to catch a Cubs game?" She ignored his question. "Are those prechopped peppers in that Tupperware container?" Troy cracked an egg into a bowl. "Yeah." "I'm not sleeping with you." "Jesus," he choked out. "How did we arrive here from prechopped peppers?" Ruby pushed back her chair and stood, the poster child for nervous energy. "You must cook for girls pretty often to chop up peppers in advance, that's all I'm saying. So if there are strings attached to that omelet, I don't want it. No matter how good it tastes, the answer is no."
Author: Tessa Bailey
299. "I choked out, my voice raw and painful, "I thought you'd leave. There's a lot of feeling tonight." His thumb brushed over my cheek. It was a tender gesture. "Not for you. You turned it off tonight, didn't you?"Then the tears came. I couldn't stop them. I didn't know what unleashed them, but they fell free like a waterfall."
300. "My heart stood still. "But why me?" I choked out. He dipped his head to murmur in my ear. "It was fated. I saw you once before—in Paris. You were surrounded by your panting lapdogs and would have none of them. It was then I knew that I alone would have you. The rest was Allah's will," he continued matter-of-factly. "You came to Biskra. You arranged a tour in the desert. You were bored and wanted adventure. I have granted that wish." He flashed a feral smile. "And now you will grant mine."
Author: Victoria Vane
Quotes About Choke Pictures