Famous Quotes About Compelling
Browse 201 famous quotes and sayings about Compelling.
Top Quotes About Compelling
1. "Reason gains all people by compelling none."
Author: Aaron Hill
2. "I think the mystery of what's out there in the universe is just very compelling."
Author: Adam Riess
3. "Ultimately, physical resemblance isn't as important as whether this person can bring this character to life in a way that's compelling and makes me care about what happens to them."
Author: Alan Ball
4. "Being effective at social media, whether for business or personal use, means capturing people who have short attention spans. They're only a click away from a picture of a funny cat, so you have to make your thing more compelling than that cat. And that can be a high bar."
Author: Alexis Ohanian
5. "In and after 1964 when I began to concern myself with the biological issues, and particularly from 1967 onwards, the extent of the problems over which I felt uneasy increased to such a point that in 1968 I felt a compelling urge to make my views public."
Author: Andrei Sakharov
6. "The basic guarantees of our Constitution are warrants for the here and now, and unless there is an overwhelmingly compelling reason, they are to be promptly fulfilled."
Author: Arthur Goldberg
7. "Since we're keeping it primal, you smell good," he observed. "It's called a shower...," I began automatically, then trailed off. My memory snagged, taken aback by a compelling and forceful sense of undue familiarity. "Soap, shampoo, hot water," I added, almost as an afterthought. "Naked. I know the drill," Jev said, something unreadeble passing over his eyes."
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
8. "Sometimes the characters I find the most compelling are in independent movies. With independent scripts people can take more challenges."
Author: Brittany Snow
9. "She'd never encountered any stories as intricate or compelling as the stories he gave her, nor anything that made her sigh when she read it. She liked best the stories about people becoming other things. Stories where women became swans or echoes. In the evenings, when Finn disappeared into the mysterious recesses of the laboratory, Cat went out to the garden or down to the river and wondered what it would be like to be a stream of water, a cypress tree, a star burning a million miles away."
Author: Cassandra Rose Clarke
10. "Even now I try to make each page compelling for the readers to get absorbed in the book."
Author: Chetan Bhagat
11. "Quadruple crap. Why couldn't I control myself? Why did he have this effect on me? "Are you compelling me right now?"To my surprise, his smile held an edge of sadness. "That would give you a much needed excuse, but I am afraid I am not."Curse my body for reacting to his. As long as I kept him out of my heart, I would be okay."I think it a bit too late for that, my dear.""You're using old man speak again." I made a face. "It's creepy."He chuckled. "I'll try to remember that, but I haven't been around humans much in the past hundred years. It's hard to keep up with the changes in common dialect.""Let's keep on topic, Jett. You were going to teach me how to control my mind."
Author: Christie Rich
12. "Doubt is a question mark; faith is an exclamation point. The most compelling, believable, realistic stories have included them both."
Author: Criss Jami
13. "Does religious conviction provide a powerful reason for killing? Undeniably it often does. It also often provides the sole compelling reason for refusing to kill, or for being merciful, or for seeking peace; only the profoundest ignorance of history could prevent one from recognizing this. For the truth is that religion and irreligion are cultural variables, but killing is a human constant."
Author: David Bentley Hart
14. "If you feel driven and compelled to make your work and to be fiercely original and have something unique to say, in a compelling way, then chances are the helpers will be there for you the doors will open some, the ice will crack."
Author: David Knopfler
15. "It's like a piece of music; you never lose sight of the theme. Each scene pushes off to the next like music builds and you can almost hear the next chord progression, so it has a strict structure, which is very compelling."
Author: David Strathairn
16. "The heart of Dragon's Lair has always been its compelling story. With Dragon's Lair 3D, we think the team has really created an interactive animated movie."
Author: Don Bluth
17. "Our faith is stronger than death, our philosophy is firmer than flesh, and the spread of the Kingdom of God upon the earth is more sublime and more compelling."
Author: Dorothy Day
18. "Peace would always be less compelling than war. Perhaps that was why there was so little of it in the world. (p. 160)"
Author: Eknath Easwaran
19. "I call upon you to draw from the depths of your being — to prove that we are a human race, to prove that our love outweighs our need to hate, that our compassion is more compelling than our need to blame"
Author: Elizabeth Taylor
20. "I can relate to historical characters or imaginary ones. It doesn't matter if a story takes place in the future or in the present, as long as the story is compelling."
Author: Eric Stoltz
21. "If you have some magical chemistry that actually find the music you make compelling, that is a big bonus."
Author: Geddy Lee
22. "You must not imagine that Papa or I have the least notion of compelling you to marry anyone whom you hold in aversion, for I am sure that such a thing would be quite shocking! And Charles would not do so either, would you, dear Charles?"(Elizabeth Ombersley)"No, certainly not. But neither would I consent to her marriage with any such frippery fellow as Augustus Fawnhope!""Augustus," announced Cecilia, putting up her chin, "will be remembered long after you have sunk into oblivion!""By his creditors? I don't doubt it."
Author: Georgette Heyer
23. "What no one tells the young is to be careful of their childhoods. The memories from those days are the most compelling paintings in the mind--to which, with nostalgia or dread, you must ever return."
Author: Gregory Maguire
24. "Yet velvet curtains, soft cheese, compelling work and boys who can run full-tilt—it isn't enough. And if it isn't, it isn't. There's no living with that. The world is made from our imagination; our eyes enliven it, as our hands give it shape. Wanting makes it thrive; meaning is what you put in, not what you extract. You only see what you are inclined to see, and no more. We have to make the new."
Author: Hanif Kureishi
25. "A human resources personnel wearing the hat of legal personnel at certain corporate structures without internal legal departments nor alliance with legal professionals, tend to decide issues of labour law deviations sans legal interpretation skills,thus snowballing a spark conflict to a raging dispute compellingly to be referred to an adjudicatory mechanism."
Author: Henrietta Newton Martin B.Com LLB Goldmedalist LLM Goldmedalist MMS Etc Legal Consultant
26. "The natural consequence of our submission, even in part, to the system that looks to compelling the export of raw products, the exhaustion of the land, the cheapening of labour, and the export of the labourer."
Author: Henry Charles Carey
27. "What I've always done as an entertainer is try to come up with things that people will find interesting, or compelling, or humorous."
Author: James Taylor
28. "The villain of any story is often the most compelling character."
Author: John Hodgman
29. "Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seem good to themselves than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest."
Author: John Stuart Mill
30. "The writing seemed like the books that held it; crumbly and antique and bearing the stink of centuries. Still, it was compelling. His voice was smooth and kind, and once in a while an observation that would ring so true it vibrated like flicked crystal."
Author: Lauren Groff
31. "Without a compelling cause, our employees are just putting in time. Their minds might be engaged, but their hearts are not. Meaning precedes motivation."
Author: Lee J. Colan
32. "May be, Churchill had pointed out, I should stop trying so hard not to love Hardy, and accept the some part of me might always want him. "Some things," he said, "you just have to learn to live with.""But you can't love someone new without getting over the last one.""Why not?""Because then the new relationship is compromised."Seeming amused, Churchill said that every relationship was compromised in one way or the other, and you were better off not picking at the edges of it.I disagreed. I felt I needed to let Hardy go completely. I just didn't know how. I hoped someday I might meet someone so compelling that I could take the risk of loving again. But I had serious doubts such a man existed."
Author: Lisa Kleypas
33. "I hate to think of a day where a compelling book or a compelling authorial voice would be lost simply because that person doesn't have a Web site. But I think that, to use the Internet in a positive way, to turn people on to reading, is something that authors shouldn't really shy away from necessarily."
Author: Marisha Pessl
34. "We read literature for a number of reasons, but two of the most compelling ones are to get out of ourselves and our own life stories and - especially important - to find ourselves by understanding our own life stories more clearly in the context of others."
Author: Maureen Corrigan
35. "Sometimes you're loved because of your weaknesses. What you can't do is sometimes more compelling than what you can."
Author: Melissa Bank
36. "A label is a mask life wears. We put labels on life all the time. "Right," "wrong," "success," "failure," "lucky," "unlucky," may be as limiting a way of seeing things as "diabetic," "epileptic," "manic-depressive," or even "invalid." Labeling sets up an expectation of life that is often so compelling we can no longer see things as they really are. This expectation often gives us a false sense of familiarity toward something that is really new and unprecedented. We are in relationship with our expectations and not with life itself."
Author: Rachel Naomi Remen
37. "A chair is the first thing you need when you don't really need anything, and is therefore a peculiarly compelling symbol of civilization. For it is civilization, not survival, that requires design."
Author: Ralph Caplan
38. "Okay, compelling chase or no, you still haven't told us what a nephilopopogus is."
Author: Richelle Mead
39. "Nostalgia is, by its very nature, bittersweet, the happiest memories laced with melancholy. It's that combination, that opposition of forces, that makes it so compelling. People, places, events, times: we miss them, and there's a pleasure in the missing and a sadness in the love.The feeling is most acute, sometimes cripplingly so, when we find ourselves longing for the moment we're in, the people we're actually with.That nameless feeling, that sense of excruciating beauty, of pained happiness, is at the core of "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)."
Author: Robert J. Wiersema
40. "I've come to feel that if I can't make something happen in under an hour and a half, it's not going to happen in a compelling way in a three-hour play."
Author: Sam Shepard
41. "This intimacy is not necessary; no one is compelling me to open my inmost self and lay it naked, undefended, against that of another – merely for the joy of the communion."
Author: Sebastian Faulks
42. "It is the writer's job to craft a story so compelling that strangers will pay to hear it."
Author: Seeley James
43. "Our senses and emotions are the great source of inspiration for creating compelling and interesting art pieces (books included). Each art piece, be it a book, a song, a painting, a photograph or a product should touch our senses and evoke emotions. Emotionless art lacks purpose and interest."
44. "He'd never seen one so vibrant, though, or so vividly compelling... those glowing green eyes sparkling with sunlight and curiosity and silent laughter, and when she glanced in Henry's direction, she held his gaze, a look that was both challenging and enigmatic... He was utterly certain that this was Eleanor of Aquitaine, and no less sure that the French King must be one of God's greatest fools."
Author: Sharon Kay Penman
45. "Our hope is to deliver an incredibly fun and compelling game that will give the fans more than what they've been waiting for, and show a whole new generation of gamers how much fun it is to live the life of a pirate!"
Author: Sid Meier
46. "This new consensus seemed so compelling that Ernst Mayr, the dean of modern Darwinians, opened the ashcan of history for a deposit of Geoffrey's ideas about anatomical unity."
Author: Stephen Jay Gould
47. "EnnuiTea leaves thwart those who court catastrophe,designing futures where nothing will occur:cross the gypsy's palm and yawning shewill still predict no perils left to conquer.Jeopardy is jejune now: naïve knightfinds ogres out-of-date and dragons unheardof, while blasé princesses indicttilts at terror as downright absurd.The beast in Jamesian grove will never jump,compelling hero's dull career to crisis;and when insouciant angels play God's trump,while bored arena crowds for once look eager,hoping toward havoc, neither pleas nor prizesshall coax from doom's blank door lady or tiger."
Author: Sylvia Plath
48. "The visual of Satan isn't one of a big red devil with horns. Even worse, it's the picture of something good, twisted enough to be compelling."
Author: Todd Stocker
49. "Sometimes it's like watching a train wreck. You're uncomfortable, but you just can't help yourself. Some of those so-called bad interviews actually turned into compelling television."
Author: Tony Danza
50. "A woman's life can really be a succession of lives, each revolving around some emotionally compelling situation or challenge, and each marked off by some intense experience."
Author: Wallis Simpson
Quotes About Compelling Pictures