Famous Quotes About David Hume
Browse 30 famous quotes and sayings about David Hume.
Top Quotes About David Hume
1. "I want to die or be trapped on a deserted island with David Wolfenbaker. One or the other, but I've got to get out of homeroom."
Author: Alecia Whitaker
2. "A philosophy professor at my college, whose baby became enamored of the portrait of David Hume on a Penguin paperback, had the cover laminated in plastic so her daughter could cut her teeth on the great thinker."
Author: Anne Fadiman
3. "Anytime James Carville, Paul Begala and David Axelrod hold hands and jump for joy, it's worth pondering how to turn their joy into tears."
Author: Ari Fleischer
4. "The late Mr. David Hume, in his posthumous works, places the powers of generation much above those of our boasted reason; and adds, that reason can only make a machine, as a clock or a ship, but the power of generation makes the maker of the machine; ... he concludes, that the world itself might have been generated, rather than created ; that is, it might have been gradually produced from very small beginnings, increasing by the activity of its inherent principles, rather than by a sudden evolution of the whole by the Almighty fiat."
Author: David Hume
5. "John Major put the 'er' back into Conservative, David Cameron's put the 'Con' into Conservative - and Norman Lamont put the 'vat' into Conservative!"
Author: David Miliband
6. "From David Niven's autobiography, Bring on the Empty Horses. Director Mike Curtiz to David Niven & Errol Flynn: "You lousy bums, you and your stinking language, you think I know fuck nothing, well let me tell you— I know FUCK ALL!"
Author: David Niven
7. "Last night, Good Friday night, at the bottom of the escalator at King's X tube, a weasel-faced man in uniform was sweeping up rubbish with a wide broom, drink cartons, cigarette packets with all the dust and filthy scraps of the day which he pushed towards an elegant long black glove that was lying there. I expected him to pick it up as I would have – I thought of picking it up, but was too late. He smothered it in a wide sweep. It seemed to me extraordinary and shocking that he had no feeling for it. Several images went through my mind, a symbolic hand, a dead blackbird, an ornamental bookmark fallen from a lectern Bible – any once-precious relic being tumbled in the dirt. As I went up the escalator I remembered the Tatterdemallion whom I haven't seen for months and thought of his body, if he were to die in the tube, being tumbled about with the rest of the thrown-away rubbish." David Thomson, In Camden Town"
Author: David Thomson
8. "Commitment in relationship, has today resurrected into an experienced Goliath, in a land where David is already dead and buried. Show me anyone who may be willing to face the new experienced Goliath?"
Author: F. Otieno
9. "But my mother loved The Elephant Man, and my father gave David Lynch a scholarship to study in Rome."
Author: Isabella Rossellini
10. "I like to extend myself as an actress and David really helped me."
Author: Isabella Rossellini
11. "Some libs took offense at my David Broder quip earlier. In my own defense, I was taught in college it's OK to disrespect dead white males."
Author: James Taranto
12. "When I was preparing for the film for tree weeks, with David Cronenberg, I had a lady friend come over."
Author: John Lone
13. "[On David Hume]Although he never admitted to being an atheist as such, he was clearly and unquestionably the most vividly elegant skeptic of them all."
Author: Jonathan Miller
14. "The press will naturally come and go as it has done with all artists, from David Bowie to Neil Young to U2."
Author: Kelly Jones
15. "In the '50s Morris Louis and I were not known, David Smith and Helen Frankenthaler were not much known."
Author: Kenneth Noland
16. "I wanted to go to Jupiter. That was my plan from day one, and David Lynch gave me the ticket."
Author: Laura Dern
17. "What's wrong?" he asked, and I motioned for him to take a seat.He listened quietly as I explained what had happened. By the timeI told him the whole sordid story, my heart was hammering in mychest and I couldn't meet his eyes. Was he angry? Would he lashout at me like he used to? David reached across the table and gentlytook my hand in his. I looked up and saw only tenderness and lovein his expression."What can I do to help?" he asked, and I burst into tears. Davidhad become my true partner in life."
Author: Mary Potter Kenyon
18. "Where would David Copperfield be if Dickens had gone to writing classes? Probably about seventy minor characters short, is where. (Did you know that Dickens is estimated to have invented thirteen thousand characters? Thirteen thousand! The population of a small town!)"
Author: Nick Hornby
19. "I started in the club route. I did the alternative scene later on. When I lived in New York, I did the Luna Lounge and stuff, where Janeane Garofalo and David Cross and all those guys worked out of, but I came from a comedy club background. I'm proud of that background. I'm one of the people that really crossed over and did both."
Author: Nick Swardson
20. "I have to go. I'll just say goodbye to David and Theo." Pilar kissed Maddy lightly, absently onthe cheek, and made the girl's color come up. "See you later.""Yeah, okay. How come they're for me?" she asked Tyler."Because I hear you did good." He held them out. "You want them or not?""Yeah, I want them." She took them, noted the little flutter in her belly as she sniffed. A kind ofmuscle reflex, she supposed it was. A nice one. "Nobody ever gave me flowers before."
Author: Nora Roberts
21. "Since nothing we intend is ever faultless, and nothing we attempt ever without error, and nothing we achieve without some measure of finitude and fallibility we call humanness, we are saved by forgiveness. DAVID AUGSBURGER"
Author: Paul David Tripp
22. "We were doing it under the most extraordinary circumstances, but the first out of the tent in the morning would be David Lean. He said to me on the very first day of shooting, Pete, this is the beginning of a great adventure."
Author: Peter O'Toole
23. "David Hume, the greatest skeptic of them all, once remarked that after a gathering of skeptics met to proclaim the veracity of skepticism as a philosophy, all of the members of the gathering nonetheless left by the door rather than the window. I see Hume's point. It was all just talk. The solemn philosophers weren't taking what they said seriously."
Author: Philip K. Dick
24. "Is anyone serious about the politics of happiness? David Cameron dipped a toe in the water, using the word lightly, but denying the hard policies it implies. Labour shies away from it, but should take up the challenge."
Author: Polly Toynbee
25. "Spread your legs wider for me. That's right. In a minute I'm going to slide one finger inside you. Only one, but it will be enough to make you beg and promise me the world if I asked you for it. David Hollan in Requested Surrender"
Author: Riley Murphy
26. "David!" Xander yelled, because he had to yell something. His eyes snapped back to the figure in the upstairs doorway, but it was gone. "What do you want?" David asked."I...were you just upstairs?""I haven't looked up there yet." "But I just saw you up there."
Author: Robert Liparulo
27. "Alexander Smollett, master; David Livesey, ship's doctor; Abraham Gray, carpenter's mate; John Trelawney, owner; John Hunter and Richard Joyce, owner's servants, landsmen--being all that is left faithful of the ship's company--with stores for ten days at short rations, came ashore this day and flew British colours on the log-house in Treasure Island. Thomas Redruth, owner's servant, landsman, shot by the mutineers; James Hawkins, cabin boy--'And at the same time, I was wondering over poor Jim Hawkins' fate."
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
28. "List of Artists Who Created Fantasy Worlds to Try and Cure Bouts of Sadness1. Italo Calvino2. Gabriel Garcia Marquez3. Jim Henson and Jorge Luis Borges - Labyrinths4. The creator of MySpace5. Richard Brautigan6. J.K. Rowling7. The inventor of the children's toy Lite-Brite8. Ann Sexton9. David Foster Wallace10. Gaugin and the Caribbean11. Charles Schulz12. Liam Rector"
Author: Shane Jones
29. "Some have argued that because the universe is like a clock, there must be a Clockmaker. As the eighteenth-century British empiricist David Hume pointed out, this is a slippery argument, because there is nothing that is really perfectly analogous to the universe as a whole, unless it's another universe, so we shouldn't try to pass off anything that is just a part of this universe. Why a clock anyhow? Hume asks. Why not say the universe is analogous to a kangaroo? After all, both are organically interconnected systems. But the kangaroo analogy would lead to a very different conclusion about the origin of the universe: namely, that it was born of another universe after that universe had sex with a third universe."
Author: Thomas Cathcart
30. "Truth Is As Plan As The Inspired Words David Wrote In The Psalms: A future Awaits For All Those Who Seek Peace..But All EVIL Will Eventually Be Destroyed; There Will Be No Future For The Wicked."
Author: Timothy Pina
Quotes About David Hume Pictures