Famous Quotes About Detention
Browse 52 famous quotes and sayings about Detention.
Top Quotes About Detention
1. "I was a prefect at school, I never had a tattoo, got a detention or pierced my ears more than once."
Author: Amanda Holden
2. "He turned to Edwin. "You know, the stuff you just told me makes more sense than all the weird things the counselors and psychologist have told me in school and at the detention center."Edwin tapped Cole's shoulder with the broken stick. "That's because those people still think you can get rid of the left end of the stick."
Author: Ben Mikaelsen
3. "Once, I ordered two thousand lady bugs from the local garden center and set them loose in the atrium. I sprinkled marigold seeds in the ficus planters and put gold fish in the lobby fountain. These are things I did with no consequences, no repercussions. My nineteen detentions were for smart answers and missed homework. There is no equivalent punishment for making the world a stranger place."
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
4. "What do we do?" I asked. "I've never been in detention before."Gabriel smirked. "And you assume we have?"
Author: C. L. Stone
5. "You ever been in a fight?" he asked. "Not a proper fight...I got detention for kicking Shelly Walker in the butt with my muddy boot when I was in fourth grade."Flynn laughed. "What'd she do to deserve it?"She smiled down at her hand. "I think she badmouthed Joey McIntyre or something. I was a hardcore New Kids fan."Flynn made an amused, judging face. "I hope it was worth it.""Oh yes. Nobody puts Joey Mac down and gets away with it."
Author: Cara McKenna
6. "No, Mo," Miss Watkins said, turning to Nesta who was crying with laughter. "Nesta Williams, seeing as you clearly find it so funny. What do you think the name of God might be?""Er, not sure," said Nesta, looking caught out. "What do you think?""I don't think," said Miss Watkins."I know.""I don't think I know either," giggled Nesta. The whole class got detention, but it was worth it. I felt like i'd spent the whole morning laughing my head offWe never did get to know what God's name was."
Author: Cathy Hopkins
7. "Tell her I got detention for defending her honour," Alec shouted in the distance."Did he really?""Well, he got detention, but mostly for calling Akira a close-minded troglodyte," she said."
Author: Cecily White
8. "In my world death will come chasing. In your world it will start whispering in your ear to destroy yourself. I know this because it started whispering to me when I was in the detention center."
Author: Chris Cleave
9. "If there's another 9/11 or a major war in the Middle-East involving a U.S. attack on Iran, I have no doubt that there will be, the day after or within days an equivalent of a Reichstag fire decree that will involve massive detentions in this country."
Author: Daniel Ellsberg
10. "I had an uneventful few days," it told her. "The most exciting thing was an hour-long lecture from the headmaster on taking our studies seriously. He said next year's exam will arrive sooner than we think.""No, they won't," Valkyrie said, frowning. "They'll arrive next year, exactly when we expect them.""That's what I told him," the reflection nodded. "I don't think he's comfortable with logic, because he didn't look happy. He sent me to the Career Guidance counsellor, who asked me what I wanted to do after college."Valkyrie stowed her black clothes. "What did you say?""I told her I wanted to be a Career Guidance counsellor. She started crying, then accused me of mocking her. I told her if she wasn't happy in her job then she should look at other options, then pointed out that I was already doing her job better than she was. She gave me detention."
Author: Derek Landy
11. "He could have told George a writer creates a character as a way to reveal consciousness, increase the flow of meaning. This is how we reply to power and beat back our fear. By extending the pitch of consciousness and human possibility. This poet you've snatched. His detention drains the world of one more thimble of meaning. He should have said these things to that son of a bitch, although actually he liked George, but he'd never considered the matter in quite this way before and George would have said that terrorists do not have power and anyway Bill knew he'd forget the whole thing before much time went by."
Author: Don DeLillo
12. "Atticus had urged them to accept the state's generosity in allowing them to plead Guilty to second-degree murder and escape with their lives, but they were Haverfords, in Maycomb County a name synonymous with jackass. The Haverfords had dispatched Maycomb's leading blacksmith in a misunderstanding arising from the alleged wrongful detention of a mare, were imprudent enough to do it in the presence of three witnesses, and insisted that the son-of-a-bitch-had-it-coming-to-him was a good enough defence for anybody."
Author: Harper Lee
13. "Present company excluded, this looked to be the most pleasant detention ever experienced by mankind. Further proof that librarians should run the world-or a least be in charge of detention at Bathory High."
Author: Heather Brewer
14. "We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer."
Author: Hunter S. Thompson
15. "O be not anxious, comrades, fear ye not! The siuation here hath been controll'd. All merry 'tis in the detention block!....That conversation did my spirits bore! Now Luke, prepare thyself for company."
Author: Ian Doescher
16. "DO NOT ACCEPT INJUSTICE-Russia's Investigative Committee today announced that it will apply for a three-month extension to the detention of the Arctic 30.The Arctic 30 took peaceful action to protect the Arctic on behalf of a 4 million - strong movement. Now they need your support more than ever! ACT now: ?Join the global day of action tomorrow: http://act.gp/HQgFAW?Put an end to injustice and demand the release of the Arctic 30: www.greenpeace.org/freethearctic30/?f...Global Day of Action Nov 16www.greenpeace.org"
Author: Isaac Asimov
17. "To his surprise he felt a moment of regret, of sadness that his quest for his mother and father would soon be over. As long as he searched for them he was prepared to be hungry and ill, but now that the search had ended he felt saddened by the memory of all he had been through, and of how much he had changed. He was closer now to the ruined battlefields and this fly-infested truck, to the nine sweet potatoes in the sack below the driver's seat, even in a sense to the detention center, than he would ever be again to his house in Amherst Avenue."
Author: J.G. Ballard
18. "We let off a Dungbomb in the corridor and it upset him for some reason—" "So he hauled us off to his office and started threatening us with the usual—" "—detention—" "—disembowelment—"
Author: J.K. Rowling
19. "Detention, Saturday night, my office," said Snape. "I do not take cheek from anyone, Potter . . . not even ‘the Chosen One.'"
Author: J.K. Rowling
20. "I used to spend every morning in detention at my old school."
Author: Jake Lloyd
21. "I was in detention a lot."
Author: Jake Lloyd
22. "You can give me detention. Oh, wait, that's right...you aren't the boss of me. So I guess you can just bite me. -Dean"
Author: Jeff Mariotte
23. "Less than an hour ago, all I'd wanted was detention. Now, I was nominated for homecoming court and going to the big dance with the hottest guy in school. Somewhere out there, God was laughing at me. I was sure of it."
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
24. "I'd sold my soul to get out of detention."
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
25. "Without territory, it does not even have the resources to provide detention facilities for prisoners, even if it were interested in holding captured POWs."
Author: John Yoo
26. "The actions we took in the aftermath of 9/11 were harsh but necessary and effective. These steps were fully sanctioned and carefully followed. The detention and interrogation of top terrorists like Abu Zubaydah, Khalid Sheikh Muhammed and Abu Faraj al-Libbi yielded breakthroughs which have kept this country safe."
Author: Jose A. Rodriguez Jr.
27. "As I detail in my new book: 'Hard Measures, How Aggressive CIA Actions After 9/11 Saved American Lives,' there are many myths surrounding the detention of a relatively small number of top terrorists at CIA-run 'black sites' from 2002 until they were sent to Guantanamo Bay in 2006."
Author: Jose A. Rodriguez Jr.
28. "It is good that these terrorists are now facing justice, but in the reporting of the case, it would be helpful if the media didn't help them with their propaganda mission by unquestioningly repeating false information about their detention."
Author: Jose A. Rodriguez Jr.
29. "Detention turned out to be code for slavery."
Author: Jus Accardo
30. "Somehow suspension sounded way worse than detention. Detention happens to everybody. Suspension, though - that's for the sociopaths.I wasn't a hundred percent sure I was ready to take that leap."
Author: Katie Alender
31. "So here's the deal: I speak up in class, I get sent to office. Megan speaks up in class, she's a "strong, assertive model student."I post a few flyers saying that the vending machines on school property are a sign that our school has sold out to corporate-industrial establishment, I get (what else?) Saturday detention. Megan starts a campaign to serve local foods in the lunchroom (oh, and can we please maybe get rid of the soda machines?) and the local newspaper does a write-up about her.She's like me, only not. Not like me at all. She's the golden girl and I'm...tarnished. So forgive me if I hate her a little."
Author: Katie Alender
32. "But we did it," said Alys. "We found Morgana and we helped her. How can you worry about detentions when life as we know it has just been saved?"
Author: L.J. Smith
33. "The same boys who got detention in elementary school for beating the crap out of people are now rewarded for it. They call it football."
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
34. "She didn't even know that he'd turned the shed in the back into a detention cell. Now that he thought about it, he really had made this house into a home. He just needed Charlie to pick out shit like curtains. Should he put curtains in his detention cell?Blake, Lexi (2013-10-01). Love and Let Die (Masters and Mercenaries) (Kindle Locations 3156-3158). DLZ Entertainment, LLC. Kindle Edition."
Author: Lexi Blake
35. "I was something of a prankster. One time I put a ski mask on my head and used a fake gun on the school secretary so that I could get some of my friends out of detention."
Author: Luke Perry
36. "I used to trip over my legs and get detention for my too-short shorts because none fit. I still trip, but now I like to show them off."
Author: Maggie Grace
37. "I mean you're cute, but not that cute. Would Rhea really risk life in a maximum security detention unit just so that she could press herself against your manly body?"
Author: Malorie Blackman
38. "Jenna walked in between desks and plonked herself down behind hers, noticing AGAIN that the teacher hadn't graced the class with his zitty presence. She thought Mr. Kennan needed to get fired, which said a lot, because she rarely paid attention to ugly teachers. She'd discussed this with the principal two weeks back when she'd been sent to his office after getting caught sleeping. She'd told him that if he employed more hot teachers like Mr. Daniels then maybe she wouldn't pass out from boredom. The principal gave her a week's detention because of that comment, saying that she needed to take things more seriously. But she WAS being serious.Jenna Hamilton from Graffiti Heaven (Chapter 28)."
Author: Marita A. Hansen
39. "I look at him."It's odious," he says."Detention?" I ask, confused."Huh?"We have no idea what the other is talking about."What's odious?" I ask."O.D.S," he says, pointing to his discman and obviously referring to some dropkick band.Like I really care."
Author: Melina Marchetta
40. "It's February, and the walls are halfheartedly hung with Valentine's Day decorations that are supposed to add a sense of festivity, but just seem sadistic, because in an all-boys' detention center, only a select few are finding romance this year."
Author: Neal Shusterman
41. "Ano pong ibig sabihin nitong preventive detention? The meaning of preventive detention is Mr. Marcos thinks that next month, you will commit a crime, he can now order you arrested so you will not be able to commit your crime. Anong klaseng batas iyan? Iniisip mo pa lang eh nabilanggo ka na eh. Aba'y hayop kako itong batas na ito. Eh kung totoo ito, eh lahat ng lalaking diborsyado na nag-iisip pa lang magliligaw, patay na sa asawa."
Author: Ninoy Aquino
42. "I've always had a penchant for dialects. I remember getting detention and being told, 'Have a think about where doing these funny voices might get you someday.'"
Author: Nolan North
43. "Arresting and detaining these dangerous people can make sense, at least until a final decision is reached on their deportation. However, such detention must always be subject to time limits and court review."
Author: Otto Schily
44. "Veronica ran out to tell Amber the shocking news - and returned in less than a minute with another message for Yo-Yoji: "Amber says she was watching and she knows you got in detention on purpose," she said breathlessly. "Because you have a crush on Cass!" Cass's ears instantly turned red.Max-Ernest looked like he'd been hit by a truck."
Author: Pseudonymous Bosch
45. "Just thinking. Man, Sophie, it's only your first day and you've already befriended the school outcast, pissed off the most popular girls at Hecate, and developed a full-blown thing for the hottest guy. If you can manage to get detention tomorrow, you'll be like, legendary."
Author: Rachel Hawkins
46. "Just keep moving! we're almost there." "almost where?" Juno chuckled. "all roads lead there child. you should know that" "detention?" Percy asked. "Rome, child, the old woman said. "Rome"
Author: Rick Riordan
47. "But they can rule by fraud, and by fraud eventually acquire access to the tools they need to finish the job of killing off the Constitution.''What sort of tools?''More stringent security measures. Universal electronic surveillance. No-knock laws. Stop and frisk laws. Government inspection of first-class mail. Automatic fingerprinting, photographing, blood tests, and urinalysis of any person arrested before he is charged with a crime. A law making it unlawful to resist even unlawful arrest. Laws establishing detention camps for potential subversives. Gun control laws. Restrictions on travel. The assassinations, you see, establish the need for such laws in the public mind. Instead of realizing that there is a conspiracy, conducted by a handful of men, the people reason—or are manipulated into reasoning—that the entire population must have its freedom restricted in order to protect the leaders. The people agree that they themselves can't be trusted."
Author: Robert Anton Wilson
48. "Guantánamo Bay's motto: 'Safe, humane, legal, transparent detention.' Four adjectives describing a sick joke."
Author: Rodney Ulyate
49. "In Boumediene v. Bush, the Supreme Court held that the United States' exercise of authority over Guantánamo gave the detainees a constitutional right to bring their habeas corpus claims in federal district courts. The Court also held that the procedures authorized under the Military Commissions Act, which called for military tribunals to look into the detention of the Guantánamo detainees, were not an adequate substitute for habeas. As the Court explained, "[t]he laws and Constitution are designed to survive, and remain in force, even in extraordinary times. Liberty and security can be reconciled; and in our system, they are reconciled within the framework of the law."17"
Author: Sandra Day O'Connor
50. "How much detention did you get?"Two weeks. One per arsehole."
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Quotes About Detention Pictures