Famous Quotes About Distract
Browse 826 famous quotes and sayings about Distract.
Top Quotes About Distract
1. "I write four books a year. I'm very fortunate that I write quickly; around 3,500 words a day. Being strict about delineating my writing time and personal life, as well as keeping distractions at bay, is the only way I can accomplish this."
Author: Alexander McCall Smith
2. "Life will throw everything but the kitchen sink in your path, and then it will throw the kitchen sink. It's your job to avoid the obstacles. If you let them stop you or distract you, you're not doing your job, and failing to do your job will cause regrets that paralyze you more than a bad back."
Author: Andre Agassi
3. "Even the straws under my knees shout to distract me from prayer"
Author: Augustine Of Hippo
4. "Night is a time of terror. Worries and anxieties are unleashed by the darkness, when the distractions and the busyness of the day can no longer keep them at bay." Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly"
Author: Bill O'Reilly
5. "It's also a more personal medium. It seems to go directly to one's brain. There are no pictures to distract."
Author: Bob Edwards
6. "Even in the midst of all this commotion she knows none of it really belongs to her, and marvels at the strange fact of her dearest wish: to be part of it, to give in to it's distractions, to find herself the owner of a life lived rather than a life endured. And then she looks into the face of Mother #3, worn smooth and almost featureless, with moist eyes that can't seem to settle on anything for more than a heartbeat at a time, and she knows this is a very dangerous wish."
Author: Brady Udall
7. "The author indicts "our culture's rush toward efficiency, speed, quantification, and distraction" and counters with the value of "the time and attention required to find the best words and images and then hold them together in ways that illuminate. This, she diagnoses, "is now wildly countercultural. It is inefficient. Its value is not readily quantifiable. Its utility is intangible."
Author: Cherie Harder
8. "Mother of mercy,"said Tovar."And that caused the riot?""It's the other way around,"said Kira sheepishly."We started the riot as a distraction for the jaibreak."Tovar whistled."You don't mess aroud."P303"
Author: Dan Wells
9. "When he was dry, he believed it was alcohol he needed, but when he had a few drinks in him, he knew it was something else, possibly a woman; and when he had it all -- cash, booze, and a wife -- he couldn't be distracted from the great emptiness that was always falling through him and never hit the ground."
Author: Denis Johnson
10. "I think when things linger, that's when they become a distraction. I don't want any distractions."
Author: Derek Jeter
11. "A mouse slid out from under his hat and scrambled down his sleeve, across his lap, and down to the floor.Nothing,' said Fenworth, 'should distract from a wizard's dignity."
Author: Donita K. Paul
12. "He never even thought of tenderness and emotion; his considerations about Durham remained cold. Durham didn't dislike him, he was sure. That was all he wanted. One thing at a time. He didn't so much as have hopes, for hope distracts, and he had a great deal to see to."
Author: E.M. Forster
13. "[Amy Carmichael's] great longing was to have a "single eye" for the glory of God. Whatever might blur the vision God had give her of His work, whatever could distract or deceive or tempt other to seek anything but the Lord Jesus Himself she tried to eliminate."
Author: Elisabeth Elliot
14. "I made sure that instead of people making fun of me, like every comedian probably says, I made fun of myself first so they would get distracted and just laugh. I was pretty brutally picked on for a while growing up. It was always the really pretty girls, the hot girls and then there was me. So I had to do something to get any sort of attention."
Author: Eliza Coupe
15. "At painful times, when composition is impossible and reading is not enough, grammars and dictionaries are excellent for distraction."
Author: Elizabeth Barrett Browning
16. "For a moment I was distracted. Books always did that to me... I liked the creamy pages, the smell of ink, all the secrets locked inside."
Author: Elizabeth C. Bunce
17. "The only way that I have seen to keep teenagers out of one another's arms is to give them a bigger, more wonderful goal to offset all the distractions common to their youth. For a young man, that goal should include preparing for a delightful and profitable career, doing something he really enjoys doing. For a young woman, it includes preparing to be the ideal wife, mother and administrative assistant such a passionate and goal-oriented young man will need"
Author: Gregg Harris
18. "This is why you shouldn't fall in love, it blinds you. Love is wicked distraction."
Author: Gregory Maguire
19. "The chronic fun of writing, the distraction of it, was not knowing."
Author: Gregory Maguire
20. "I ate and drank slowly as one should (cook fast, eat slowly) and without distractions such as (thank heavens) conversation or reading. Indeed eating is so pleasant one should even try to suppress thought. Of course reading and thinking are important but, my God, food is important too. How fortunate we are to be food-consuming animals. Every meal should be a treat and one ought to bless every day which brings with it a good digestion and the precious gift of hunger."
Author: Iris Murdoch
21. "Hanging on by a nut hair, I search for a distraction."
Author: J.B. Salsbury
22. "Love makes you weak. It distracts you from the important things. It can make you lose sight of the objective.-Uncle Paolo"
Author: Jessica Khoury
23. "Follow the wandering, the distraction, find out why the mind has wandered; pursue it, go into it fully. When the distraction is completely understood, then that particular distraction is gone. When another comes, pursue it also."
Author: Jiddu Krishnamurti
24. "Examine your heart and put away any distraction so you can worship God freely."
Author: Jim George
25. "Chuck Parson did not participate in organized sports, because to do so would distract from his larger goal of his life: to one day be convicted of murder"
Author: John Green
26. "On February 14, I received a telegram from Buenos Aires urging me to return home immediately; my father was "not at all well." God forgive me, but the prestige of being the recipient of an urgent telegram, the desire to communicate to all of Fray Bentos the contradiction between the negative form of the news and the absoluteness of the adverbial phrase, the temptation to dramatize my grief by feigning a virile stoicism-all this perhaps distracted me from any possibility of real pain."
Author: Jorge Luis Borges
27. "My mother didn't believe in germs but I did. Germs are something they made up to distract people from what they should really be worried about, she said. Germs are natural. It's the things people do you have to worry about."
Author: Joyce Maynard
28. "Fine." I glared at him and shook my head. Stubborn idiot."But at least try to look a little more raider-ish, okay? We don't want to attract attention."Zeke's snort sounded suspiciously like laughter. "Allie, you're a beautiful, exotic-looking vampire girl with a katana. Trust me, if anyone is going to attract attention, it's not going to be me."I didn't answer as we crossed the flimsy, creaking bridge into the lair of the vampire king. If Zeke had asked, I would've said that I was thinking of how to find everyone, but that wasn't entirely true. I was thinking of the others and how I was going to get them out alive...but I kept being distracted by the thought that Zeke had called me beautiful."
Author: Julie Kagawa
29. "It doesn't even—" one word "hurt " was supposed to come out of my mouth. Instead, a string of obscenities to make a lifelong sailor proud shoot out. "What thefuck are you doing? Shit! You don't pour it on like that, you fucking jackhole! Fuck!" I'm seething in pain, the sting agonizing. Ashton isn't paying any heed, turning my hand this way and that to examine it closer. "Looks clean.""Yeah, because you just bleached the shit out of it!""Relax. It'll stop stinging soon. Distract yourself by staring at me while we wait for this to settle down. That's how you got yourself into this mess to begin with . . ."
Author: K.A. Tucker
30. "Besides," Gwen added, fluffing the dress folds, "this thing took forever, so you're wearing it.""Wait you made this?" Isobel asked, distracted."Altered it," she admitted. She shrugged. "Half off at the Nearly New Shop. By the way, you owe me twenty-five dollars."
Author: Kelly Creagh
31. "They turned a distracted gaze on the world, wide-eyed, somehow, and questioning."
Author: Kim Edwards
32. "All too easily, however, we can become distracted, scared, frustrated, gullible, cynical, or just plain inattentive. We suppress our natural questing spirit. We plow ahead without taking a good, hard look at what we're doing and why. And whether we realize it or not, we buy into ready made systems of thought, habit, and belief sold to us by our culture, families, friends, and associates. We fall into step with the herd and almost unthinkingly adhere to whatever cult(ure) we're brought up in, unconsciously living our received beliefs and assumptions, for the most part without question or examination."
Author: Lama Surya Das
33. "You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goal aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed."
Author: Larry Flynt
34. "Daniel murmured something like yes, he wouldn't miss it,but he was clearly distracted. He kept looking away from the woman. His eyes darted around the lawn, as if he sensed Luce behind the roses.When his gaze swept over the bushes where she crouched,they flashed the most intense shade of violet."
Author: Lauren Kate
35. "Now was the time to get everything back on track, to figure out who I was and what I wanted to do with the rest of my life before I got all distracted by a soul mate with a bod for sin."
Author: Madelyn Alt
36. "I think the older I get the more creative I get, I don't have the distractions that I had when I was younger."
Author: Marc Almond
37. "Do not waste what remains of your life in speculating about your neighbors, unless with a view to some mutual benefit. To wonder what so-and-so is doing and why, or what he is saying, or thinking, or scheming -- in a word, anything that distracts you from fidelity to the ruler within you -- means a loss of opportunity for some other task."
Author: Marcus Aurelius
38. "Every time we start thinking we're the center of the universe, the universe turns around and says with a slightly distracted air, 'I'm sorry. What'd you say your name was again?"
Author: Margaret Maron
39. "Any situation, circumstance or challenge is just a distraction and as you remain true to your goals and trust in God they will fall away"."
Author: Michele Woolley
40. "Everything distracted me, but most of all myself."
Author: Patti Smith
41. "No one ever tells us to stop running away from fear...the advice we usually get is to sweeten it up, smooth it over, take a pill, or distract ourselves, but by all means make it go away. (5)"
Author: Pema Chödrön
42. "I think standing and fighting and working alongside all of these people that raise their right hand and serve their nation... really wipes away the distractions of some of the petty things we think are important at home."
Author: Pete Hegseth
43. "Tukum is at times forgetful about his pigs, being readily distracted by other children, dragonflies, puddles of water, and wild foods.Nevertheless, Tukem is a very proud little boy, and since his nami lives Lukigin, where his mother has already gone, he has decided to go away for good. This morning he put on his thin neck the cowrie collar with its brief string of shells which is his sole belonging, he smeared his body with pig grease until it shone, in order to make a fine impression at Lukigin....Then he set off alone on the long journey in the sun across the woods and fields, a small brown figure with a flat head and pot belly. His back was turned on Wuperainma, his pigs and his friends, his childhood, and he clutched a frail stick in his hand."
Author: Peter Matthiessen
44. "The Internet is just bringing all kinds of information into the home. There's just a lot of distraction, a lot of competition for the parent's voice to resonate in the children's ears."
Author: Phil McGraw
45. "I have a constitutional weakness in which I am very easily distracted by flashing lights. If there is a TV on in the room, I can't have a conversation with you. I won't eat, I won't sleep, I'll just meld with my couch."
Author: Rachel Maddow
46. "So I am your distraction?""You," He said,his face coming within inches of mine, " Are my only hope."
Author: Rebecca Maizel
47. "She wuz depressed. Yeah, she wuz on stuff for it. Like me. Sometimes it jus' takes you over. It's an illness," she said, although she made the words sound like "it's uh nillness."Nillness, thought Strike, for a second distracted. He had slept badly. Nillness, that was where Lula Landry had gone, and where all of them, he and Rochelle included, were headed. Sometimes illness turned slowly to nillness, as was happening to Bristow's mother... sometimes nillness rose to meet you out of nowhere, like a concrete road slamming your skull apart."
Author: Robert Galbraith
48. "The old school of thought would have you believe that you'd be a fool to take on nature without arming yourself with every conceivable measure of safety and comfort under the sun. But that isn't what being in nature is all about. Rather, it's about feeling free, unbounded, shedding the distractions and barriers of our civilization—not bringing them with us."
Author: Ryel Kestenbaum
49. "I want Sam to stop liking Craig.Now I guess maybe you think that's because I am jealous of him. I'm not. Honest. It's just that Craig doesn't really listen to her when she talks. I don't mean that he's a bad guy because he's not. It's just that he always looks distracted.It's like he would take a photograph of Sam, and the photograph would be beautiful. And he would think the reason the photograph was beautiful was because of how he took it. If I took it, I would know that the only reason it's beautiful is because of Sam.I just think it's bad when a boy looks at a girl and thinks that the way he sees the girl is better than the girl actually is. And I think it's bad when the most honest way a boy can look at a girl is through a camera. It's very hard for me to see Sam feel better about herself just because an older boy sees her that way."
Author: Stephen Chbosky
50. "The distracted person, too, can form habits."
Author: Walter Benjamin
Quotes About Distract Pictures