Famous Quotes About Dressing Up
Browse 78 famous quotes and sayings about Dressing Up.
Top Quotes About Dressing Up
1. "Rather than campaigning to help women, feminists today are more likely to be picking fights on Twitter, or dressing up petty grievances as proof of rampant 'sexism'."
Author: Angela Epstein
2. "It's a question of discipline,' the little prince told me later on. 'when you've finished washing and dressing each morning, you must tend your planet. you must be sure you pull up the baobabs regularly, as soon as you can tell them apart from the rosebushes, which they closely resemble when they're very young. It's very tedious work, but very easy."
Author: Antoine De Saint Exupéry
3. "I held a brief debate with myself as to whether I should change my ordinary attire for something smarter. At last I concluded it would be a waste of labour. "Doubtless," though I, "she is some stiff old maid ; for though the daughter of Madame Reuter, she may well number upwards of forty winters; besides, if it were otherwise, if she be both young and pretty, I am not handsome, and no dressing can make me so, therefore I'll go as I am." And off I started, cursorily glancing sideways as I passed the toilet-table, surmounted by a looking-glass: a thin irregular face I saw, with sunk, dark eyes under a large, square forehead, complexion destitute of bloom or attraction; something young, but not youthful, no object to win a lady's love, no butt for the shafts of Cupid."
Author: Charlotte Brontë
4. "When it comes to dressing well, American culture is so self-fulfilled that it has not only disregarded this courtesy of self-presentation, but has turned that disregard into a virtue. "We are too superior/busy/cool/not-uptight to bother about how we look to other people, and so we can wear pajamas to school and underwear to the mall."
Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
5. "You're a punk?''What?''What do they call people from the eighties?' I asked.'Oh,' she laughed. It was a beautiful laugh. 'I'm my mother, actually. I mean, these are her clothes from High School. I guess I should tell people I'm Cyndi Lauper though, or something, because dressing up as your mother is pretty lame.''I almost dressed up as my mother,' I said, 'but I was worried what my therapist would say.'She laughed again, and I realized that she thought I was joking. It was probably for the best, since telling her the second half of my mom costume - a giant fake butcher knife through the head - would probably freak her out."
Author: Dan Wells
6. "Embalming was like . . . I don't know how to describe it. It was like playing with a giant doll, dressing it and bathing it and opening it up to see what was inside."
Author: Dan Wells
7. "It might be truly said, that now I worked for my bread; ‘tis a little wonderful, and what I believe few people have thought much upon, viz. the strange multitude of little things necessary in providing, producing, curing, dressing, making, and finishing this one article of bread.I that was reduced to a meer state of nature, found this to my daily discouragement, and was made more and more sensible of it every hour, even after I had got the first handful of seed-corn, which, as I have said, came up unexpectedly, and indeed to a surprize."
Author: Daniel Defoe
8. "I am a kid in the dressing-up box at heart."
Author: Dawn French
9. "Do you know,' he said again softly, addressing his hands, 'what it is to love someone, and never - never! - be able to give them peace, or joy, or happiness?'He looked up then, eyes filled with pain. 'To know that you cannot give them happiness, not through any fault of yours or theirs, but only because you were not born the right person for them?"
Author: Diana Gabaldon
10. "I love glamour and artificial beauty. I love the idea of artifice and dressing up and makeup and hair."
Author: Dita Von Teese
11. "I'm tired of the industry, tired of playing the whole game - the dressing up, the red carpet. I hate talking about myself."
Author: Drea De Matteo
12. "I can make dressing - or stuffing. Y'all call it stuffing up here, we call it dressing down there. It's really good dressing. That family recipe was passed on, and I love to make that."
Author: Edie Brickell
13. "I started out pursuing an acting career out of college when I lived in Los Angeles. When I got an entry into broadcasting, I preferred it. I liked being me, rather than dressing up to be someone else. Now I'm 30 and doing a career of my own and have been in this career for eight years."
Author: Eleanor Mondale
14. "I'd hate it to become style over substance, I'd hate people to start putting me in a magazine article about my style. I don't like dressing up in something I'm not necessarily comfortable in just to make it more of a show. I want the power to come from what I sing about and how I sing."
Author: Ellie Goulding
15. "The last swimmers have come in from the beach now and are dressing upstairs; the cars from New York are parked five deep in the drive, and already the halls and salons and verandas are gaudy with primary colours, and hair bobbed in strange new ways..."
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
16. "How could you receive a member of the Male Sex in your bedroom, and in your dressing gown?Sir, I must request you to leave immediately1You don't mean to tell me that's a dressing gown? interrupted Mr Carlton, a dangerous gleam in his eyes. Well, it's by far the most elegant one I've ever been priviledged to see, and I suppose I must have seen scores of 'em in my time-paid for them too!"
Author: Georgette Heyer
17. "You take that walk from the dressing room to the ring and that's when the real man comes out. Then you climb up those four stairs and into the ring. Then finally, you can't wait for the bell to ring."
Author: Gerry Cooney
18. "The blame game is already a lost game, so don't attempt dressing up to play it! Blames create no change; winners don't apportion blames!"
Author: Israelmore Ayivor
19. "I like dressing up for dates and dissecting a dinner conversation with a new guy to determine if he might be The One."
Author: J. Courtney Sullivan
20. "Like at Halloween: I knew I'd arrived when I saw people dressing up on Halloween as my character."
Author: Jane Badler
21. "I can't wear this," she said from inside the dressing room. "It's too small.""Let's see," Nick said. "Come on out.""Get me a bigger size. A lot bigger."Nick opened the door and looked in at Kate. "Whoa," he said on a gush of air. His pupils dilated to the point where his brown eyes were almost totally black, and Kate decided the dress must look better than she'd first thought."Well?" she asked."I think I'm in love," Nick said. "But then my brain isn't completely engaged right now. That's not where the blood is flowing.""Too much information" Kate said. "It would have been enough to tell me I look okay.""Honey you look a lot better than okay.""You don't think I look slutty?""Not at these prices," Nick said."
Author: Janet Evanovich
22. "Acting is a really simple job - it's just hard to do. You just have to be that person with their background in that situation. That's all it is. My kids do it all the time when they're dressing up and playing games."
Author: Jason Isaacs
23. "You make all the fashion statements just by dressing up your mind."
Author: Jason Mraz
24. "Well you are fresh Your face is fabulous Don't forget you're one of a kind When nobody's checking the deeds you've done And nobody's hearing your cries You make all the fashion statements Just by dressing up your mind((Beauty in Ugly))"
Author: Jason Mraz
25. "We can either continue to collectively stand on the sidelines and debate what is causing autism and if it is an epidemic or we can get on the field and start addressing the real problem - a generation of children with autism. We are not focusing enough on prevention, treatments and support services."
Author: Jenny McCarthy
26. "I really enjoy dressing up. I'm pretty much a girlie girl."
Author: Joanne Froggatt
27. "Aren't you embarrassed undressing in front of a queer?" Leonard said. "All you know, I might be sizing up your butthole.""Just call me a tease."
Author: Joe R. Lansdale
28. "At any rate," she prattled on, awkwardness making her words run together, "I really can't get up to get my clothing, and my dressing gown appears to be just out of reach. I'm not exactly certain how this is so, but it is, so perhaps you ought to get up first, as I've already seen you—""Henry?""Yes?""Shut up."
Author: Julia Quinn
29. "By far the best dressing up outfit I ever had was a wonderful pair of clown dungarees, which my Granny made."
Author: Kate Middleton
30. "Damn, cher, you still smell like a blossom. Been so long since I've seen a flower that I'd nearly forgotten what they smelled like." He took a lock of my hair, rubbing it between his thumb and forefinger. "You're dressing up and using expensive perfume? Ole Jack senses a trap. Consider me snared."
Author: Kresley Cole
31. "He doesn't care that I cuss like a trucker. He doesn't care that I hate dressing up. Or that I don't look like someone who stepped off the cover of some fashion magazine. Adam would never want me to be something I'm not for his sake. Now I know without a doubt that I love him because of that."
Author: Lauren Hammond
32. "In comparison, young unmarried women in America were fortunate: They had a certain measure of sexual freedom. Eighteenth-century parents allowed their daughters to spend tie with suitors unsupervised, and courting couples openly engaged in "bundling," the practice of sleeping together without undressing, in the girls' homes. (Theoretically, that is, they were sleeping together without undressing: in fact, premarital pregnancy boomed during the period of 1750 to 1780, when bundling was nearly universal.) But by the turn of the century, in a complete reversal of previous beliefs about women's sexuality, the idea took hold that only men were carnal creatures; women were thought to be passionless and therefore morally superior."
Author: Leora Tanenbaum
33. "Just listen," she said. "You can't kill him in cold blood." "Whyever not?" Ye gods grant me patience. "Because he'll be dead," she said as patiently as she could, "and Lady Clara's reputation will be stained forever. Do not, I pray you, do anything, Lord Longmore. Leave this to us." "Us." "My sisters and me." "What do you propose? Dressing him to death? Tying him up and making him listen to fashion descriptions?"
Author: Loretta Chase
34. "I like costumes. I am always dressing up - I'm very English like that."
Author: Lou Doillon
35. "I'm not a big fan of Halloween. Except for the dressing up part. I love picking out a costume. - Tory"
Author: Matthew Leeth
36. "Undressing her was an act of recklessness, a kind of vandalism, like releasing a zoo full of animals, or blowing up a dam."
Author: Michael Chabon
37. "...-compost is trucked in; some crops also receive fish emulsion along with their water and a side dressing of pelleted chicken manure. Over the winter a cover crop of legumes is planted to build up nitrogen in the soil."
Author: Michael Pollan
38. "I have maintained a low profile throughout my career but have always done things in my own unique way, be it dancing or dressing up. On the dance floor, I had my own unique steps and often had to lead my choreographer."
Author: Mithun Chakraborty
39. "A teenager who pretends to be an adult is still a teenager. If you imagine that getting high at a party and sleeping around is going to propel you into a state of adulthood, that's like thinking that dressing up as an Indian is going to make you an Indian."
Author: Muriel Barbery
40. "I was kind of a bully, even though I'm tiny, 5' 2". As a child, I'd boss other kids around and dress my little brother up, just putting on shows, singing and dressing up."
Author: Nicole Beharie
41. "Javier opened her makeup kit, held it edge to edge with the dressing table, and swept everything--every vial, brush, tube, and bottle--into the kit with his forearm.Laura gaped at him. "That stuff is worth hundreds of dollars."He shrugged, then shut the kit. "That's how SEALs pack makeup."
Author: Pamela Clare
42. "Dressing up is inevitably a substitute for good ideas. It is no coincidence that technically inept business types are known as 'suits'."
Author: Paul Graham
43. "A group of laughing girls, heads out the window, toasted passers-by with glasses full of champagne. ‘Yee ha, cowgirl!' one of the girls shouted from the limo window. For a second Emma was confused, before remembering what she was wearing. The Wild West outfits had been Lizzy's idea. And dressing up was compulsory, especially for the bride-to-be. She took off her cowgirl hat and held it under her arm. ‘We"
Author: Paul Pilkington
44. "STAY HOME FROM SCHOOL FAUX VOMIT:1 cup of cooked oatmeal1.2 cup of sour cream (or buttermilk ranch dressing or anything that smells like rancid, sour milk)2 chopped cheese sticks (for chunkiness)1 uncooked egg (for authentic slimy texture)1 can of split pea soup (for putrid green color)1/4 cup of raisins (to increase gross-osity)Mix ingredients and simmer over low heat for 2 minutesLet mixture cool to warm vomit temperatureUse liberally as neededMakes 4 to 5 cups"
Author: Rachel Renée Russell
45. "It is joyous for any actor to enter other grounds of consciousness and thought. At the end of the day, we just all like dressing up and playing around."
Author: Rhys Ifans
46. "I like to be comfortable, but I do enjoy being a British gent and dressing up a bit."
Author: Robbie Williams
47. "I love dressing up, though I have to hide my rubbish hair in a hat."
Author: Sophie McShera
48. "Do we believe, or are we just playing Dressing Up?"
Author: T.J. Bowes
49. "I'm not some sort of tormented soul looking for an identity in the roles I take. I became an actress because I just love dressing up and playing."
Author: Talulah Riley
50. "Historical Re-creation, he thought glumly, as they picked their way across, under, over or through the boulders and insect-buzzing heaps of splintered timber, with streamlets running everywhere. Only we do it with people dressing up and running around with blunt weapons, and people selling hot dogs, and the girls all miserable because they can only dress up as wenches, wenching being the only job available to women in the olden days."
Author: Terry Pratchett
Quotes About Dressing Up Pictures