Famous Quotes About Dressing
Browse 348 famous quotes and sayings about Dressing.
Top Quotes About Dressing
1. "All of a sudden I'm in the major leagues and we're traveling from town to town. I see the other players dressing different every day. I've got only one suit and I keep wearing it over and over. I'm really embarrassed."
Author: Al Kaline
2. "I like to dress up but I'm not so concerned with looking very sexy, it's really more the art of dressing."
Author: Andrej Pejic
3. "Our holiday food splurge was a small crate of tangerines, which we found ridiculously thrilling after an eight-month abstinence from citrus.... Lily hugged each one to her chest before undressing it as gently as a doll. Watching her do that as she sat cross-legged on the floor one morning in pink pajamas, with bliss lighting her cheeks, I thought: Lucky is the world, to receive this grateful child. Value is not made of money, but a tender balance of expectation and longing."
Author: Barbara Kingsolver
4. "Nothing rekindles my spirits, gives comfort to my heart and mind, more than a visit to Mississippi... and to be regaled as I often have been, with a platter of fried chicken, field peas, collard greens, fresh corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes with French dressing... and to top it all off with a wedge of freshly baked pecan pie."
Author: Craig Claiborne
5. "Embalming was like . . . I don't know how to describe it. It was like playing with a giant doll, dressing it and bathing it and opening it up to see what was inside."
Author: Dan Wells
6. "New fathers, political prisoners, traumatised presidential aides, resolute schoolboys, MEPs addressing unfriendly chambers - we all find that Shakespeare has magically anticipated our precise circumstances. How he was possible, I still don't understand; but there isn't a day I'm not grateful that he speaks to me in my own language."
Author: Daniel Hannan
7. "Undressing him reminds me of trying to change a sleepy, uncooperative four-year-old into his pajamas."-Dom"
Author: Daria Snadowsky
8. "For these cultures, getting rid of the pain without addressing the deeper cause would be like shutting off a fire alarm while the fire's still going."
Author: David Foster Wallace
9. "The last swimmers have come in from the beach now and are dressing upstairs; the cars from New York are parked five deep in the drive, and already the halls and salons and verandas are gaudy with primary colours, and hair bobbed in strange new ways..."
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
10. "The Dandy is the highest form of existence attainable by the human form. His life is exclusively dedicated to dressing exquisitely, parading about the fashionable boroughs of splendid cities and and holding forth at his club, where he dispenses witticism as readily as the vulgaroisie utters its banal platitudes. The only species of 'work' this singular Chap might engage in would consist of discussing buttonhole stitching with his tailor and performing his ablutions until the morning has been well aired enough for him to step into it."
Author: Gustav Temple And Vic Darkwood
11. "His landlady came to the door, loosely wrapped in dressing gown and shawl; her husband followed ejaculating."
Author: H.G. Wells
12. "In addressing you I feel that I am not so much speaking to the representatives of diverse States of Europe and America as to the exponents of principles and hopes that are common to us all, and without which our life on earth would be a life without horizon or prospect."
Author: Henry Campbell Bannerman
13. "Look at us. We build giant highways and murderously fast cars for killing each other and committing suicide. Instead of bomb shelters we construct gigantic frail glass buildings all over Manhattan at Ground Zero, a thousand feet high, open to the sky, life a woman undressing before an intruder and provoking him to rape her. We ring Russia's borders with missile-launching pads, and then scream that she's threatening us. In all history there's never been a more lurid mass example of the sadist-masochist expression of the thanatos instinct than the present conduct of the United States. The Nazis by comparison were Eagle Scouts."
Author: Herman Wouk
14. "Today I am devoted to addressing all the little things about me and in my life that I have not mastered!"
Author: Iyanla Vanzant
15. "Muslim delegates concerned about rights in Palestine could have brought their enthusiasm closer to home by addressing the fate of black Christians being slaughtered and enslaved in the Sudan."
Author: Jack Schwartz
16. "The dance commonly begins about the middle of the afternoon or later, after sundown. When it begins in the afternoon, there is always an intermission of an hour or two for supper. The preliminary painting and dressing is usually the work of about two hours."
Author: James Mooney
17. "I hate shopping for clothes," Kate said. "I liked when I was in the military and all I needed was camouflage gear.""Shopping can be fun. Especially when it's for a con. It's the first step in creating a character. Isn't there anything you enjoy buying? Lingerie? Shoes? Jewelry?""Shoes are okay. I don't have to take my clothes off to try them on.""You don't like to take your clothes off?""It's the lighting in the dressing rooms. It makes you look fat and anemic. And pulling clothes on and off wrecks my hair." Nick put his hand on her head and ruffled her hair. "Like this?"Kate jumped away. "Stop it! I have enough hair problems without you making it worse.""Maybe if you ran a brush through it once in a while.""Maybe if you'd keep your hands off it!"Nick grinned and hugged her into him. "Are we a team, or what? Stick with me and I'll get you to enjoy taking your clothes off.""You're flirting with me.""Stating a fact," Nick said."
Author: Janet Evanovich
18. "I remember going to Bob Preston's dressing room because I was losing a laugh - as you do in a long run. He said, 'Give me the script. That's where you're going off the road.' That's comedy. It's never the line itself; it's in the foundation."
Author: Jeffrey Tambor
19. "I also visited several healing meetings... and became angry with what appeared to be the manipulation of people for the material gains of the faith healer... Dressing like sideshow barkers. Pushing people over and calling it the power of God. And money - they were always asking for more, leading people to believe that if they gave they would be healed..." - John Wimber"
Author: John Wimber
20. "Because I write fiction, I don't write autobiography, and to me they are very different things. The first-person narrative is a very intimate thing, but you are not addressing other people as 'I' - you are inhabiting that 'I.'"
Author: Kate Atkinson
21. "I loved dressing for my pregnant body. A pregnant woman's body is so beautiful. Towards the end, it does get harder, and then it became all about flats and comfortable maxi dresses."
Author: Kourtney Kardashian
22. "As Marilee and I were dressing, I whispered to her that I loved her with all my heart. What else was there to say?'You don't. You can't,' she said."
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
23. "All that ever holds somebody back, I think, is fear. For a minute I had fear. [Then] I went into the [dressing] room and shot my fear in the face..."
Author: Lady Gaga
24. "Honestly, I've never questioned that part of me. I'm perfectly content with my adequate self. I like my hazel eyes, My size eight figure and I like dressing comfortably. I don't believe that it's necessary to fancy myself up for someone else. If I want to do that, I'll do it for myself. Not for some boy."
Author: Lauren Hammond
25. "In a sermon I heard recently, the minister claimed that the portrait of God as a storm god (a literary motif that he did not name) in Psalm 97 is based on allusions to the Exodus and is 'not mere window dressing,' that is, metaphoric. As I observed to this preacher later, he used a metaphor in his denigration of metaphor as "mere window dressing."
Author: Leland Ryken
26. "Every day things get better because politicians are addressing the fiscal challenges more aggressively."
Author: Meredith Whitney
27. "I have maintained a low profile throughout my career but have always done things in my own unique way, be it dancing or dressing up. On the dance floor, I had my own unique steps and often had to lead my choreographer."
Author: Mithun Chakraborty
28. "A teenager who pretends to be an adult is still a teenager. If you imagine that getting high at a party and sleeping around is going to propel you into a state of adulthood, that's like thinking that dressing up as an Indian is going to make you an Indian."
Author: Muriel Barbery
29. "She started life with a number, not a name. Class: S, No. 13295. She has them memorized by rote, though nobody ever calls her that. The Scientists feel foolish addressing her in long, bewildering strings of alphanumerics. They have told her so themselves. To save time, they simply call her "Snow."
Author: Nenia Campbell
30. "Javier opened her makeup kit, held it edge to edge with the dressing table, and swept everything--every vial, brush, tube, and bottle--into the kit with his forearm.Laura gaped at him. "That stuff is worth hundreds of dollars."He shrugged, then shut the kit. "That's how SEALs pack makeup."
Author: Pamela Clare
31. "As he took possession of it, he was overcome by a sense of something like sacred awe. He carefully spread his horse blanket on the ground as if dressing an altar and lay down on it. He felt blessedly wonderful. He was lying a hundred and fifty feet below the earth, inside the loneliest mountain in France - as if in his own grave. Never in his life had he felt so secure, certainly not in his mother's belly. The world could go up on flames out there, but he would not even notice it here. He even began to cry softly. He did not know who to thank for such good fortune."
Author: Patrick Süskind
32. "Dressing up is inevitably a substitute for good ideas. It is no coincidence that technically inept business types are known as 'suits'."
Author: Paul Graham
33. "Avoiding conflict isn't peacemaking. Avoiding conflict means running away from the mess while peacemaking means running into the middle of it. Peacemaking means addressing those issues that caused conflict in the first place. Peacemaking can never be separated from doing justice. They go hand in hand. Peacemaking means having to stir the waters on the way to peace. Peacemaking means speaking the truth in love, but speaking the truth nonetheless."
Author: Peggy Haymes
34. "I enjoy almost all of the game we kill. I only like to eat game that I have cleaned. I guess duck and dressing are still one of my favorites. We prefer fat green-winged teal or wood ducks for our dressing."
Author: Phil Robertson
35. "Dressing for yourself and not a man is definitely something I advocate."
Author: Rachel Roy
36. "I aim to be pretty - I gave up dressing to be sexy in the eighties."
Author: Sara Blakely
37. "Dressing badly has been a refuge much of my life, a way of compelling others to engage with my mind, not my physical presence. Page. 283"
Author: Sonia Sotomayor
38. "While addressing the Saints from this pulpit in 1948, the late President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., spoke concerning having a prophet and a listening ear. He had read a pamphlet stating, "We need a prophet." In answer he said, "No, we have had modern-day prophets for more than a hundred years, and they have given us the word of the Lord." He continued, "The trouble with the world is they do not want a prophet teaching righteousness. They want a prophet that will tell them that what they are doing is right, no matter how wrong it may be." A prophet has spoken--the prophet is speaking. We do not need another prophet. What we need is a listening ear. (See Conference Report, Oct. 1948, pp. 79-80).I pray that we may not only heed the words of President Clark, but that we may listen and follow the counsel that is now given as it comes by inspiration and revelation from the Lord himself to the prophets today."
Author: Spencer W. Kimball
39. "All the well-meaning advice in the world won't amount to a hill of beans if we're not even addressing the real problem."
Author: Stephen R. Covey
40. "The idea that boys want to sleep with their mothers strikes most men as the silliest thing they have ever heard. Obviously, it did not seem so to Freud, who wrote that as a boy he once had an erotic reaction to watching his mother dressing. But Freud had a wet-nurse, and may not have experienced the early intimacy that would have tipped off his perceptual system that Mrs. Freud was his mother. The Westermarck theory has out-Freuded Freud."
Author: Steven Pinker
41. "People send me CDs all the time because I love music. It's great. I listen to them in my dressing room or in my car."
Author: Ted King
42. "War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses."
Author: Thomas Jefferson
43. "Oh and I thought, as i was dressing, how interesting it would be to describe the approach of age, and the gradual coming of death. As people describe love. To note every symptom of failure: but why failure? To treat age as an experience that is different from the others; and to detect every one of the gradual stages towards death which is a tremendous experience, an not as unconscious, at least in its approaches, as death is."
Author: Virginia Woolf
44. "I sincerely hope I'll never fathom you. You're mystical, serene, intriguing; you enclose such charm within you. The lustre of your presence bewitches me. I like the unreality of your mind; the whole thing is very splendid and voluptuous and absurd. It is not mere words on paper, Mrs. Nicholson, it is both my mind and heart addressing you."
Author: Virginia Woolf
45. "They're dressing like in the 50's when they come out to the shows, and many of them have vintage cars."
Author: Wanda Jackson
46. "Football is made up of all kinds of conflict. In a dressing room, between players, between us and the manager, between us and loads of people who don't seem to matter. It's constant and harsh sometimes."
Author: Wayne Rooney
47. "And waking, once again, face smudged into Andrea's couch, the red quilt humped around her shoulders, smelling coffee, while Andrea hummed some Tokyo pop song to herself in the next room, dressing, in a gray morning of Paris rain."
Author: William Gibson
48. "A lemon, boiled whole and blitzed, makes a useful base for all sorts of dressings."
Author: Yotam Ottolenghi
49. "Dressing is a way of life."
Author: Yves Saint Laurent
50. "I aim to take possession of this estate," the young woman continued. "With the money you've given me, I'll start a school—a refuge, for girls who've been abused. I can help them gain new lives, as you've given me mine." "Are you certain, my dear?" her mother asked. "I am," came the confident answer. "This is what I've always truly wanted to do." "An excellent idea," Marco said, and the sentiment was echoed by everyone in the room. This, Eva felt, was Nemesis's true purpose—that no one person or organization should be responsible for addressing wrongdoing, but that everyone labored together for justice. Eva's own parents could not fault her for wanting this."
Author: Zoe Archer
Quotes About Dressing Pictures