Famous Quotes About Engineer
Browse 460 famous quotes and sayings about Engineer.
Top Quotes About Engineer
1. "I've got a great team of engineers behind this race car. I've got a great bunch of mechanics that make it reliable. This car is developed to go out there and be better than the Reynard, and I feel that it is."
Author: Al Unser
2. "In literature, too, we admire prose in which a small and astutely arranged set of words has been constructed to carry a large consignment of ideas. 'We all have strength enough to bear the misfortunes of others,' writes La Rochefoucauld in an aphorism which transports us with an energy and exactitude comparable to that of Maillard bridge. The Swiss engineer reduces the number of supports just as the French writer compacts into a single line what lesser minds might have taken pages to express. We delight in complexity to which genius has lent an appearance of simplicity. (p 207)"
Author: Alain De Botton
3. "It is surely significant that the adults who feature in children's books are rarely, if ever, Regional Sales Managers or Building Services Engineers."
Author: Alain De Botton
4. "To an engineer, good enough means perfect. With an artist, there's no such thing as perfect."
Author: Alexander Calder
5. "What made Manhattan Manhattan was the underground infrastructure, that engineering marvel."
Author: Andrew Cuomo
6. "Either we are walled in by religious murals or knee-deep in the gears of engineering projects. An age that values its artists and scientists equally requires a sensitive balance between beauty's lull into complacency and curiosity's journey towards the limits of comfort. This would amount to something like a couch ergonimicized by mosaic cushions, dazzling the eye as it probes the butt with glass and stone."
7. "Don't ask me to put up a shelf, but I love engineering."
Author: Bruce Dickinson
8. "We tend to hear much more about the splendors returned than the ships that brought them or the shipwrights. It has always been that way. Even those history books enamored of the voyages of Christopher Columbus do not tell much about the builders of the Nina the Pinta and the Santa Maria or about the principle of the caravel. These spacecraft their designers builders navigators and controllers are examples of what science and engineering set free for well-defined peaceful purposes can accomplish. Those scientists and engineers should be role models for an America seeking excellence and international competitiveness. They should be on our stamps."
Author: Carl Sagan
9. "Nonetheless, the research budgets of the Department of Defense are under enormous stress-and they are extremely important because they support more than 40 percent of all federal funding for engineering schools across the country. So the threat was and is real."
Author: Charles Vest
10. "I would say the most help I got was from my dad. My dad is a civil engineer in Switzerland; he's 90 years old now, so he's no longer active as a civil engineer, but still a very active person."
Author: Claude Nicollier
11. "Time is only linear for engineers and referees."
Author: Craig Ferguson
12. "One fall day in Boston, a tall mechanical engineering student named Joe entered the student union at Harvard University. He was all ambition and acne"
Author: Dan Ariely
13. "Persons who reach the higher rungs in business management, selling, engineering, religious work, writing, acting & in every other pursuit get there by following conscientiously & continuously a plan for self-development & growth."
Author: David J. Schwartz
14. "One of the obvious things that went wrong with Multics as a commercial success was just that it was sort of over-engineered in a sense. There was just too much in it."
Author: Dennis Ritchie
15. "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Author: Douglas Adams
16. "Yes, there have been ET visitations. There have been crashed craft. There have been material and bodies recovered. There has been a certain amount of reverse engineering that has allowed some of these craft, or some components, to be duplicated. And there is some group of people that may or may not be associated with government at this point that have this knowledge. They have been attempting to conceal this knowledge. People in high level government have very little, if any, valid information about this. It has been the subject of disinformation in order to deflect attention and create confusion so the truth doesn't come out."
Author: Edgar D. Mitchell
17. "By claiming that they can contribute to software engineering, the soft scientists make themselves even more ridiculous. (Not less dangerous, alas!) In spite of its name, software engineering requires (cruelly) hard science for its support."
Author: Edsger W. Dijkstra
18. "That's how it was on Irving Circle and how I was raised: You made the best out of what was within reach, which meant friendships engineered by parents and by the happenstance of housing. I stayed with it because we both had queenly older sisters who rarely condescended to play with us, because Shelley was adopted and I was not, because Shelley had Clue and Life, and I did not"
Author: Elinor Lipman
19. "Having a mother who had been an aeronautical engineer convinced me that more things should be open to women."
Author: Elizabeth Moon
20. "Aviation is the branch of engineering that is least forgiving of mistakes."
Author: Freeman Dyson
21. "And so when I moved to IBM, I moved because I thought I could apply technology. I didn't actually have to do my engineer - I was an electrical engineer, but I could apply it. And that was when I changed. And when I got there, though, I have to say, at the time, I really never felt there was a constraint about being a woman. I really did not."
Author: Ginni Rometty
22. "Étant la plus saisissante manifestation de l'art des constructions métalliques par lesquelles nos ingénieurs se sont illustrés en Europe, elle est une des formes les plus frappantes de notre génie national moderne.Being the most striking manifestation of the art of metal structures by which our engineers have shown in Europe, it [the Eiffel Tower] is one of the most striking of our modern national genius."
Author: Gustave Eiffel
23. "For her first summer vacation, my sister went to California with a couple of friends on a package tour put together by her agency. One of the members of the tour group was a computer engineer a year her senior, and she started dating him when they came back to Japan. This kind of thing happens all the time, but it's not for me. First of all, I hate package tours, and the thought of getting serious about somebody you meet in a group like that makes me sick."
Author: Haruki Murakami
24. "When Henry Ford decided to produce his famous V-8 motor, he chose to build an engine with the entire eight cylinders cast in one block, and instructed his engineers to produce a design for the engine. The design was placed on paper, but the engineers agreed, to a man, that it was simply impossible to cast an eight-cylinder engine-block in one piece.Ford replied,''Produce it anyway."
Author: Henry Ford
25. "My father, who had previously been a civil engineer, died in the great influenza epidemic of 1918."
Author: James Rainwater
26. "My father, a mining engineer and colliery manager, gave his brood many advantages not least of which, for me, was his love of singing which gave music a central place in our lives."
Author: James W. Black
27. "I'm surprised there isn't a jet airplane designed in the shape of a brick. Some people (aeronautical engineers) might say that's because bricks aren't aerodynamic. Yeah, right. I'd like to see someone make that claim as they watch a brick flying towards their face at a high velocity."
Author: Jarod Kintz
28. "What were he and his friends doing, really, other than hanging from a branch, sticking their tongues out to catch the sweetness? He thought about the people he knew, with their excellent young bodies, their summerhouses, their cool clothes, their potent drugs, their liberalism, their orgasms, their haircuts. Everything they did was either pleasurable in itself or engineered to bring pleasure down the line. Even the people he knew who were "political" and who protested the war in El Salvador did so largely in order to bathe themselves in an attractively crusading light. And the artists were the worst, the painters and the writers, because they believed they were living for art when they were really feeding their narcissism. Mitchell had always prided himself on his discipline. He studied harder than anyone he knew. But that was just his way of tightening his grip on the branch."
Author: Jeffrey Eugenides
29. "This is a global fight to get the right people in the right place and we're talking about people with PhDs in engineering, computer science, mathematics."
Author: Jerry Moran
30. "Protein engineering is a technology of molecular machines - of molecular machines that are part of replicators - and so it comes from an area that already raises some of the issues that nanotechnology will raise."
Author: K. Eric Drexler
31. "But while doing that I'd been following a variety of fields in science and technology, including the work in molecular biology, genetic engineering, and so forth."
Author: K. Eric Drexler
32. "Painters were also attorneys, happy storytellers of anecdote, psychologists, botanists, zoologists, archaeologists, engineers, but there were no creative painters."
Author: Kazimir Malevich
33. "The Engineer Corps is charged with all construction, including light railways and roads."
Author: Kelly Miller
34. "You can be creative in anything - in math, science, engineering, philosophy - as much as you can in music or in painting or in dance."
Author: Ken Robinson
35. "However, the occasional visit of success provides just the excitement an engineer needs to face work the following day."
Author: Koichi Tanaka
36. "One has to look out for engineers - they begin with sewing machines and end up with the atomic bomb."
Author: Marcel Pagnol
37. "Her life seemed to her a great engineering work scarcely begun. Lately more excavation than construction had occurred. She had lost a sense of her own invincibility. In that way she was no longer archetypically American."
Author: Marge Piercy
38. "When the maker's (or fixer's) activity is immediately situated within a community of use, it can be enlivened by this kind of direct perception. Then the social character of his work isn't separate from its internal or "engineering" standards; the work is improved through relationships with others. It may even be the case that what those standards are, what perfection consists of, is something that comes to light only through these iterated exchanges with others who use the product, as well as other craftsmen in the same trade. Through work that had this social character, some shared conception of the good is lit up, and becomes concrete."
Author: Matthew B. Crawford
39. "He only wishes there were something that would heal the scars in his mind, which he can still feel. He sees his mind now as an archipelago of islands that he labors to build bridges between - and while he's had great success engineering the most spectacular of bridges, he suspects there are some islands that he'll never reach."
Author: Neal Shusterman
40. "Of course, I have given my engineers some headaches over the years, but they go with me. I have always wanted my buildings to be as light as possible, to touch the ground gently, to swoop and soar, and to surprise."
Author: Oscar Niemeyer
41. "The call of God is a call according to the nature of God; where we go in obedience to that call depends entirely on the providential circumstances which God engineers, and is not of any moment. The danger is to fit the call of God into the idea of our own discernment and say, "God called me there." If we say so and stick to it, then it is good-bye to the development of the life of God in us."
Author: Oswald Chambers
42. "Passion makes a person stop eating, sleeping, working, feeling at peace. A lot of people are frightened because, when it appears, it demolishes all the old things it finds in its path. No one wants their life thrown into chaos. That is why a lot of people keep that threat under control, and are somehow capable of sustaining a house or a structure that is already rotten. They are the engineers of the superseded. Other people think exactly the opposite: they surrender themselves without a second thought, hoping to find in passion the solutions to all their problems. They make the other person responsible for their happiness and blame them for their possible unhappiness. They are either euphoric because something marvelous has happened or depressed because something unexpected has just ruined everything. Keeping passion at bay or surrendering blindly to it - which of these two attitudes is the least destructive? I don't know."
Author: Paulo Coelho
43. "Our enemy is Al Qaeda and its allies, people who have publicly said they wish to attack the United States again, people who have publicly called on nuclear physicists and engineers to help them gain access to nuclear weapons, which, as the whole world knows, Pakistan has."
Author: Richard Holbrooke
44. "One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null word."
Author: Robert A. Heinlein
45. "Ask Gandhi, and eye for an eye makes us both blind.....ask an engineer, and the numbers don't lie - the first to strike wins."
Author: Steven Ivy
46. "The same undisciplined government spending and social engineering that has undermined our economy over the past 30 years has also been tearing at the social fabric of this land."
Author: Stockwell Day
47. "All it takes is for people to believe and I am no longer just an artefact put together by clever engineers. I am an idea, a something made of nothing, whose time has come to be. Some may even call me "Goddess"
Author: Terry Pratchett
48. "DJ Sliink is amazing, and his production is on the next level. There are a lot of EDM producers that I'd like to work with, not for the sake of having an engineered record, but for the fact that I love their production and music."
Author: Travie McCoy
49. "Connect creativity with technology, so he built a company where leaps of the imagination were combined with remarkable feats of engineering. He and his colleagues at Apple were able to think differently: They developed not merely modest product advances based on focus groups, but whole new devices and services that consumers did not yet know they needed. He was not a model boss or human being, tidily"
Author: Walter Isaacson
50. "I think one problem we've had is that people who are smart and creative and innovative as engineers went into financial engineering."
Author: Walter Isaacson
Quotes About Engineer Pictures