Famous Quotes About Europea
Browse 546 famous quotes and sayings about Europea.
Top Quotes About Europea
1. "So I think that is from the European perspective, for the European future, this engagement can be one of the most important and effective decisions in the last 50 years maybe."
Author: Aleksander Kwasniewski
2. "What sort of attractions do you think lured our coreligionists out of the ghetto and into the mainstream of European culture? Was it the wit of Molière, or the ingenious stage mechanisms of Pixérécourt? Or was it simply the opportunity to cast an eye, without shame, upon the living, unclad human form?"
Author: Ben Katchor
3. "No European who has tasted savage life can afterwards bear to live in our societies."
Author: Benjamin Franklin
4. "Most metaphysical words in Hopi are verbs, not nouns as in European languages."
Author: Benjamin Whorf
5. "I am closer to a European viewpoint of the world than an American one. My ethics and ideals are based on European concepts."
Author: Bianca Jagger
6. "Nothing, however, bemused the Indians more than the European habit of blowing their noses into a fine handkerchief, folding it carefully, and placing it back in their pockets as if it were a treasured memento."
Author: Bill Bryson
7. "…though queens are a particular obsession of mine. I'm not speaking of European sovereigns, mind you, but that most glorious force of the chessboard. Did you know her square was originally occupied by a male "vizier," able to advance only one meager diagonal step per move? But during the reign of the great female monarchs, this piece metamorphosed into a "queen," and her power grew commensurate with her title. Only then did the game become something more— A mental odyssey that helped reshape the world."
Author: Brian K. Vaughan
8. "The idea of a licentious West that many Arabs hold today closely mirrors the view that Europeans had of the Middle East a couple of centuries or more ago."
Author: Brian Whitaker
9. "If . . . you are ever tempted to think that we modern Western Europeans cannot really be so very bad because we are, comparatively speaking, humane--if, in other words, you think God might be content with us on that ground--ask yourself whether you think God ought to have been content with the cruelty of past ages because they excelled in courage or chastity. You will see at once that this is an impossibility. From considering how the cruelty of our ancestors looks to us, you may get some inkling of how our softness, worldliness, and timidity would have looked to them, and hence how both must look to God."
Author: C.S. Lewis
10. "The artist is something of an outsider in America. I have always felt that America does not value its artists, certainly not in the sense that the Europeans do."
Author: Carlisle Floyd
11. "Jay-Z and Kanye West are to authentic rap culture what diseased rates were to 14th century Europeans"
Author: Dean Cavanagh
12. "I thought about soccer in history, the inspiration for wars, truces, rampaging mobs. The game was a global passion, spherical ball, grass or turf, entire nations in spasms of elation or lament. But what kind of sport is it that disallows the use of players' hands, except for the goalkeeper? Hands are essential human tools, the things that grasp and hold, that make, take, carry, create. If soccer were an American invention, wouldn't some European intellectual maintain that our historically puritanical nature has compelled us to invent a game structured on anti-masturbatory principles?"
Author: Don DeLillo
13. "As a European I had fit in almost seamlessly in New York for the last 25 years, but in Oklahoma I stood out like a sore thumb."
Author: Famke Janssen
14. "Andrew Moraviscik, one of the best American scholars of Europe, points out that once you exclude translators and clerical workers, the European Commission employs 2.500 officials, "fewer than any moderately sized European city and less than 1 percent of the number employed by the French state alone". As for its undemocratic nature, any new law it wishes to pass needs more than 71 percent of the weighted national-government votes - "a larger proportion than the required to amend the American Constitution"."
Author: Fareed Zakaria
15. "By putting the spotlight on the female child and framing her as the ideal of beauty, he condemns the mature woman to invisibility. In fact, the modern Western man enforces Immanuel Kant's nineteenth-century theories: To be beautiful, women have to appear childish and brainless. When a woman looks mature and self-assertive, or allows her hips to expand, she is condemned ugly. Thus, the walls of the European harem separate youthful beauty from ugly maturity."
Author: Fatema Mernissi
16. "In fact, from then on scholars engaged in a kind of game of comparing different Indo-European languages with one another, and eventually they could not fail to wonder what exactly these connections showed, and how they should be interpreted in concrete terms."
Author: Ferdinand De Saussure
17. "What I tried to make clear in Good Calories, Bad Calories was that nutrition and obesity research lost its way after the Second World War with the evaporation of the European community of scientists and physicians that did pioneering work in those disciplines. It has since resisted all attempts to correct it. As a result, the individuals involved in this research have not only wasted decades of time, and effort, and money but have done incalculable damage along the way. Their beliefs have remained imperious to an ever-growing body of evidence that refutes them while being embraced by public-health authorities and translated into precisely the wrong advice about what to eat and, more important, what not to eat if we want to maintain a healthy weight and live a long and healthy life."
Author: Gary Taubes
18. "If you put all the European countries together, we are the biggest economy in the world."
Author: George Papandreou
19. "Long before the Europeans arrived in Africa, the blacks were enslaving each other. They still do," said Valmorain. "Just as whites are enslaving each other, monsieur," the physician countered. "Not all Negroes are slaves, nor all slaves black. Africa is a continent of free people. Millions of Africans are subjected to slavery but many more are free. Slavery is not their destiny, just as is also the case with thousands of whites who are slaves."
Author: Isabel Allende
20. "Therefore one should speak at the same time of national citizenship and wider European citizenship."
Author: Jacques Delors
21. "It's striking that Native Americans evolved no devastating epidemic diseases to give to Europeans, in return for the many devastating epidemic diseases that Indians received from the Old World."
Author: Jared Diamond
22. "I had to choose between American and British actors, and it didn't take me more than a second to decide: Russians are Europeans and should be played by other Europeans."
Author: Jean Jacques Annaud
23. "I have got an anthology album out. The American version has got the same mixes but the European version, I remixed them in the studio and added a couple of things that I have always wanted to add."
Author: John Entwistle
24. "Road testing the effects of regulation on European business must become second nature to the European Union."
Author: John Hutton
25. "...one of the more sophisticated and accepting things about Europe, when it came to difficult decisions regarding sexual identity, was that the Europeans were so used to sexual differences that they had already begun to make fun of them."
Author: John Irving
26. "As the political leaders of Europe meet to save the euro and European Union, so should religious leaders."
Author: Jonathan Sacks
27. "A specter is haunting Europe—the specter of Communism. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this specter; Pope and Czar, Metternich and Guizot, French radicals and German police spies.Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as Communistic by its opponents in power? Where the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of Communism, against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?Two things result from this fact.I. Communism is already acknowledged by all European powers to be in itself a power.II. It is high time that Communists should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Specter of Communism with a Manifesto of the party itself ."
Author: Karl Marx
28. "I've had lengthy discussions with European farm leaders. It is clear they have an agricultural strategy to support their producers and gain dominance in world agricultural trade. They're gaining markets the old-fashioned way - they're buying them."
Author: Kent Conrad
29. "Speaking of plunging into war, do you know why I think George W. Bush is so pissed off at Arabs? They brought us algebra. Also the numbers we use, including a symbol for nothing, which Europeans had never had before. You think Arabs are dumb? Try doing long division with Roman numerals."
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
30. "We on the left who are pro-European and Internationalist wish to unite the peoples under a social model."
Author: Laurent Fabius
31. "So anyway, I really enjoyed the European audiences."
Author: Lee Hazlewood
32. "If the euro becomes a factor promoting Europe's drifting apart, then the foundation of the European project is destroyed."
Author: Mario Monti
33. "The arts are very alive in Ireland, so that had its influence on me. But I consider myself European, really."
Author: Michael Fassbender
34. "I feel very much ideologically, politically if you like, and emotionally part of the European cinema."
Author: Mike Leigh
35. "Florence which included diplomatic missions to various European courts."
Author: Niccolò Machiavelli
36. "These subsidies from four European governments, which include aircraft launch assistance, capital injections, debt forgiveness, have enabled Airbus to develop and range market airliners well below cost."
Author: Norm Dicks
37. "If I had political responsibility, I would want to prepare for a plan B that would foresee that the European currency union, that the eurozone, no longer necessarily consists of 17 member states. And that means to make provisions so that other countries are not pulled into the maelstrom through contagion."
Author: Peer Steinbruck
38. "Via the mediation of the Enlightenment, this movement had changed from a hobby among a tiny literate elite and their secretaries, an ostentatious amusement among princely and mercantile art patrons and their masterly suppliers (who established a first 'art system'), into a national, a European, indeed a planetary matter. In order to spread from the few to the many, the renaissance had to discard its humanistic exterior and reveal itself as the return of ancient mass culture. The true renaissance question, reformulated in the terminology of practical philosophy - namely, whether other forms of life are possible and permissible for us alongside and after Christianity, especially ones whose patterns are derived from Greek and Roman (perhaps even Egyptian or Indian) antiquity - was no longer a secret discourse or an academic exercise in the nineteenth century, but rather an epochal passion, an inescapable pro nobis."
Author: Peter Sloterdijk
39. "This much should be clear by now: the term 'renaissance' can only remain fruitful and demanding as long as it refers to a far-reaching idea: that it is the fate of Europeans to develop life and forms of life according to and alongside the Christian definitions of life and forms of life."
Author: Peter Sloterdijk
40. "A piazza is not a plaza. The plaza is the theme park of the piazza; the plaza is the commercial version. A piazza is an empty space with no function. This is what Europeans understand."
Author: Renzo Piano
41. "The same European governments that hesitated to confront terrorists were more than prepared to oppose us."
Author: Richard Perle
42. "For anyone who understood the essence of modernism based on and originating in the secularizing and humanistic tendencies of the European Renaissance, it was easy to detect the confrontation that was already taking place between traditional and modern elements in the Islamic world."
Author: Seyyed Hossein Nasr
43. "If Germany, thanks to Hitler and his successors, were to enslave the European nations and destroy most of the treasures of their past, future historians would certainly pronounce that she had civilized Europe."
Author: Simone Weil
44. "Many of the Europeans who want Israel to go away don't even know why they do. Nearly a third of those interviewed concede they have no idea what the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is all about. It's enough to know that Israelis are Jews."
Author: Suzanne Fields
45. "Canadians tend to be a bit more religious than most Europeans - though not more than the Poles or Ukrainians. Most important, their attitude to immigration and ethnic minorities is more positive than that of most Europeans."
Author: Timothy Garton Ash
46. "The next challenge for Christianity is to remind Europeans that we are called to seek the truth."
Author: Timothy Radcliffe
47. "When I left England, my hope of India's conversion was very strong; but amongst so many obstacles, it would die, unless upheld by God. Well, I have God, and His Word is true. Though the superstitions of the heathen were a thousand times stronger than they are, and the example of the Europeans a thousand times worse; though I were deserted by all and persecuted by all, yet my faith, fixed on the sure Word, would rise above all obstructions and overcome every trial. God's cause will triumph. (William Carey, quoted in Iain Murray, The Puritan Hope, Banner of Truth 1971, p 140.)"
Author: William Carey
48. "For years all I seemed to be doing was lobbying politicians and others to persuade them that European culture needed movies, and that we had to protect it."
Author: Wim Wenders
49. "Anyone can relate to struggle, whether you're European or Asian. Anyone can relate to having to get up and go to work and eat."
50. "Ukraine is a vital link for Europe: our energy transportation networks; our location between the European Union and Eurasia. We're the melting pot of Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity. The democracy we founded with the Orange Revolution has to be an example for other post-Soviet states."
Author: Yulia Tymoshenko
Quotes About Europea Pictures