Famous Quotes About Facing
Browse 503 famous quotes and sayings about Facing.
Top Quotes About Facing
1. "When you are in a combat situation, you mustn't let your mind be polluted by emotions like fear and anger. Simply accept the situation and react, even if you are facing impossible odds. Keep your head clear and you will be one step ahead of your attackers."
Author: Aaron B. Powell
2. "It was not facing what life dealt that made you crazy, but rather trying to set life straight where it was unstraightenable."
Author: Anne Lamott
3. "The trouble with ‘if only' is that it doesn't change anything. It keeps the person facing the wrong way – backward instead of forward. It wastes time. In the end, if you let it become a habit, it can become a real roadblock – an excuse for not trying anymore."
Author: Arthur Gordon
4. "Some people won't have kids, but I'm not going to have parents. I'm burning their birth certificates and defacing their gravestones tonight."
5. "A customer facing crucial decisions: What should I wipe myself with? What should I brush with? His personal hygiene was deteriorating rapidly as he stared at the rows of possibilities, sweating profusely. Would he ever bathe again?"
Author: Benson Bruno
6. "It seemed as if the valley were not always girded by woods, growing on the surrounding hills and facing away from the horizon, but the trees had only taken up their places now, rising out of the ground to offer their condolences. He almost waved away the tangible beauty of the hour like a crowd of persistent friends, almost said to the lingering afterglow, 'thank you, thank you, I'll be all right.'"
Author: Boris Pasternak
7. "People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul."
Author: C.G. Jung
8. "Deficits. Most people of knowledge say it's the biggest single problem facing the economic free world."
Author: David Hartman
9. "Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith. It means being "willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father." Ultimately, patience means being "firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord" every hour of every day, even when it is hard to do so. In the words of John the Revelator, "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and … faith [in] Jesus."
Author: Dieter F. Uchtdorf
10. "We cannot face up to what lies ahead, without facing up to what lies within."
11. "Fireheart dashed to the warrior's side. Cloudtail was standing stiff-legged, every hair in his pelt on end as if he were facing an enemy. His eyes were fixed on the limp heap of tabby fur huddled at his paws."Why, Fireheart?" Cloudtail wailed. "Why her?"Fireheart knew, but rage and grief made it hard to speak. "Because Tigerstar wants the pack to get a taste of cat blood," he rasped. The dead cat lying in front of them was Brindleface."
Author: Erin Hunter
12. "Valdivia's actions symbolize man's indefatigable thirst to take control of a place where he can exercise total authority. That phrase, attributed to Caesar, proclaiming he would rather be first-in-command in some humble Alpine village than second-in-command in Rome, is repeated less pompously, but no less effectively, in the epic campaign that is the conquest of Chile. If, in the moment the conquistador was facing death at the hands of tht invincible Araucanian Caupolican, he had not been overwhelmed with fury, like a hunted animal, I do not doubt that judging his life, Valdivia would have felt death was fully justified. He belonged to that special class of men the species produces every so often, in whom a craving for limitless power is so extreme that any suffering to achieve it seems natural, and he had become the omnipotent ruler of a warrior nation."
Author: Ernesto Guevara
13. "She was right that reality can be harsh and that you shut your eyes to it only at your peril because if you do not face up to the enemy in all his dark power, then the enemy will come up from behind some dark day and destoy you while you are facing the other way."
Author: Frederick Buechner
14. "?e? µ?? e??a? pe? p?? ta µ?t?a a??µa??t?????.... ?????? ?a ???e??a ta d??? µ?? ?ta? se a?t?????a. ?a??te?a se ??a e??????? s??t?d? pa?? se t??t? ed? t? f??a??. ??sa sta d?? s?? µ?t?a ? ?a?d?? µ??... ??? ß??s?? ???e p?? ta ????, ??at? µa???? s??... ap?? de? ?e?t????e?.Theyre didnt tell that the eyes will captivate .... Otherwise I was closed mine when i was facing you. I will be bettere in a peaceful darkness than in this prison. Inside of your eyes my heart ... I find her every time I see you but if i dont ... she just does not work."
Author: Georgia Kakalopoulou
15. "Did not pleasure depend on an architecture of perspective--on contrast and delay, withholding and loss? Did not true enjoyment rely in facing the future?"
Author: Gordon Dahlquist
16. "Facing facts is definitely preferable to facing defeat."
Author: Gordon R. Dickson
17. "Emma felt frightened, apprehensive, yes, but also elated and excited, her feelings all tumbled and mixed together like a stew of varied ingredients tossed into the same pot. She was aware of the blood coursing through her veins, the beat of her heart, the breath in her lungs. Was aware, too, of that clenched knot that hung in the pit of her stomach. This was what it was to be alive, to be at the edge, facing survival eye to eye, knowing, KNOWING, you would win."
Author: Helen Hollick
18. "In fact the problem Leopardi is facing is speculative and metaphysical, a problem in the history of philosophy from Parmenides to Descartes and Kant: the relationship between the idea of infinity as absolute space and absolute time, and our empirical knowledge of space and time."
Author: Italo Calvino
19. "From the shadows, the young heir to the throne came forward, his expression far older than his seven years. Wrath, son of Wrath, was, like Tohrment, the spitting image of his sire, but there the comparison between the two pairs ended. The regent king was sacred, not just to his parents, but to the race.This small male was the future, the leader to come...evidence that in spite of the affronts committed by the Lessening Society, the vampires would survive.And he was fearless. Whereas many a wee one had shrunk back behind a parent when facing a single Brother, the young Wrath stood his own, staring up at the males before him as if he knew, regardless of his tender age, that he would command the strong backs and fighting arms of those before him."
Author: J.R. Ward
20. "The country is facing a fiscal crisis, and the United States Senate is at the center of the debate about how to bring federal spending under control."
Author: Jeff Flake
21. "Many people require more than just evidence before they'll accept evolution. To these folks,evolution raises such profound questions of purpose, morality, and meaning that they just can't accept it no matter how much evidence they see. It's not that we evolved from apes that bothers them so much; it's [[the emotional consequences of facing that fact.]] And unless we address those concerns, we won't progress in making evolution a universally acknowledged truth."
Author: Jerry A. Coyne
22. "They say you can know a man by his enemies, Dresden." He smiled, and laughter lurked beneath his next words, never quite surfacing. "You defy beings that should cow you into silence. You resist forces that are inevitable for no more reason than that you believe they should be resisted. You bow your head to neither demons nor angels, and you put yourself in harm's way to defend those who cannot defend themselves." He nodded slowly. "I think I like you."
Author: Jim Butcher
23. "How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing?"
Author: John Lennon
24. "Rendering moral judgements in retrospect can be hazardous. It is unfair to judge the past by the standards of the present. Yet we can assess a man's views on a moral issue - which slavery unquestionably was - by what others in the same age and facing the same realities thought and did."
Author: Jon Meacham
25. "If you're new, then perhaps you've seen it. Have you seen it, by chance?"I frowned. "It?""Yes. It.""It...what?" I asked cautiously, facing the old faery again. "What are you looking for?""I don't know." She sighed heavily, seeming to shrink in on herself. "I don't remember. I just know I lost it. You haven't seen it, have you?""No," I told her firmly. "I haven't seen it.""Oh." The old creature sighed again, shrinking down a little more. "Are you sure? I thought you might have seen it.""So, anyway," Puck broke in, before the conversation could go in another circle."
Author: Julie Kagawa
26. "Did you know, the Alpha bond is a lot like the mate bond. The first twenty-four hours are apparently intense. I took oath from ten wolves today, and I can feel every fucking one of them in my head. And I use the adjective on purpose. You know what the most common response to facing death is?"Simon let out a little snort.Aaron's grin was wry. "Yeah, that. And when you consider that one of my wolves is Lucas, I haven't been this horny in about thirty years."
Author: Kaje Harper
27. "You say people's struggles are a game! That's totally wrong!Facing yourself no matter how tough things get... and keeping up the fight... that's what games are really about!You bet your chip of life as if it meant nothing! You lost to yourself! When you realized you were going to lose, you didn't have the courage to keep living!Listen... Real courage is protecting that chip you have in your hands... no matter what!" -Anzu to Kaiba"
Author: Kazuki Takahashi
28. "I think labels have been used alot during this election process to divide people, and at this point in time we really need people to come together, and be their own person, come with their own suggestions, and really solve the problems that we have facing this country."
Author: Kristi Noem
29. "A Harris poll I've seen says only 12 percent of the electorate names taxes as one of the most important issues facing the nation. Voters put tax cuts dead last, behind education, Social Security, health care, Medicare and poverty."
Author: Lane Evans
30. "Emma hears me come up the stairs and asks me to watch a movie with her. I stick Band-Aids on my weeping cuts, put on pink pajamas so we match, and snuggle with her under her rainbow comforter. She arranges all of her stuffed animals around us in a circle, everyone facing the TV, then presses play...Ghosts dare not enter here."
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
31. "Have me," they said, and there was no stopping them. They were frightened, no question, but they were not afraid of me. It was a fear of messing up and having to face themselves again, and facing the world, and the likes of you. There was nothing I could do.They had too many ways, they were too resourceful - and when they did it too well, whatever their chosen method, I was in no position to refuse."
Author: Markus Zusak
32. "1."Ahem. I know you hate Mondays, madam, but you picked the absolutely wrong one to play hooky. Or be sick. Yes, I suppose it's vaguely possible that you are actually sick. Anyway, here we are at lunch, Sadie and I, witnessing total social disorder. Your friend Alexander Bainbridge is sitting at the usual table, but facing the room. Amanda Alstead is sitting at Table One. Or, should I say,sitting more or less on a Phillite senior boy, whose name is unimportant, at Table One. A very nice young lady at the next table over-you know, the one who writes about Mr. Darcy-has just informeed us that Amanda dumpled Alex over the break. On Thanksgiving Day,no less. By e-mail. No telling how much truth is there, but a lot more than a kernal, I would say. We have a large, seven-dollar bag o' movie popcorn here. Thought you'd like to know. Call me."
Author: Melissa Jensen
33. "The kind of issues that we face as detectives are similar to what the other married couples out there are facing, or the brother and sister, or the brother and brother are facing. Relationships are universal."
Author: Michael Ealy
34. "Eva seemed to be on some sort of mission to work her evil/cute baby magic on me. Ever since she'd started toddling around on those chubby little legs, she'd been targeting me, the least enthusiastic baby person in the room. I think she enjoyed the challenge, which proved that we were related.Eva would tug on my pants leg until I picked her up. And then she'd basically stare me down with those big blue-grey eyes of hers, daring me not to snuggle her. It was like facing down a tiny, diapered mastermind.And of course, I caved. I snuggled her. I babbled. I read her Where the Wild Things Are until I was hoarse. I actually found myself watching my language. Shudder."
Author: Molly Harper
35. "It is not so much a question of how far you have traveled as which way you face. It is facing life the right way, with .the right spirit, that will push you forward."
Author: Orison Swett Marden
36. "It is one thing to go on stage and be funny or be in a good place in your career, but for a woman, actually facing the elements in a physical way is a very powerful thing."
Author: Pamela Stephenson
37. "That's what education should be," I said, "the art of orientation. Educators should devise the simplest and most effective methods of turning minds around. It shouldn't be the art of implanting sight in the organ, but should proceed on the understanding that the organ already has the capacity, but is improperly aligned and isn't facing the right way."
38. "There are ominous signs about the future of classical music. The record companies are facing threats from piracy and unauthorized downloading. It's important for those of us who have achieved success to speak out for the choristers and violinists, and beginning artists who won't have work at all if the piracy continues."
Author: Renee Fleming
39. "This is what matters to me: the story of the scholarship boy who returns home one summer from college to discover bewildering silence, facing his parents. This is my story."
Author: Richard Rodriguez
40. "For a year she found an exquisite pain - almost pleasure - in facing the world as if she didn't care. Look at me, she would say to herself in the middle of a trying day. Look at me: I'm surviving; I'm coping; I'm in control of all this."
Author: Richard Yates
41. "Facing them (men) with knives and spears was much easier than loving them, much easier."
Author: Robert Jordan
42. "Although social media is a relatively new form of communication, it has become the primary way retailers and customers are interfacing."
Author: Ryan Holmes
43. "The most divisive issue facing New Yorkers in 2013 is stop and frisk, a tactic used by law enforcement to stop, question, and frisk people suspected of a crime."
Author: Sal Albanese
44. "Hey. Hey, stop that, now. Uncle Drake is a nice man." He held Maggie, patting her while Jenny and Christian looked at their sister like she was crazy.Drake looked like he was facing down the worst thug imaginable."We're a little sensitive.""About cookies or cops?""Cookies. Spiders. Dogs. Cats. Birds. Balloons. Semi trucks. Caterpillars…"
Author: Sean Michael
45. "Many emerging countries are facing the same issue of overheating and inflation because they have been vigorously expanding fiscal and monetary policy to counter the 2008 shock."
Author: Sri Mulyani Indrawati
46. "I believe our biggest issue is the same biggest issue that the whole world is facing, and that's habitat destruction."
Author: Steve Irwin
47. "Perfectionist parents seem to operate under the illusion that if they can just get their children to be perfect, they will be a perfect family. They put the burden of stability on the child to avoid facing the fact that they, as parents, cannot provide it. The child fails and becomes the scapegoat for family problems. Once again, the child is saddled with the blame."
Author: Susan Forward
48. "Before facing you enemy, you must first face yourself."
Author: Tite Kubo
49. "Some people live their lives as if each day will be their last. Some approach love the same way, in a desperate attempt to outrun the tiny changesor huge ones that are always looming on each of our horizons. But the sense of urgency that comes from wanting to experience life and love to thefullest can force decisions that are not always in your best interests or anyone else's, for that matter. In fact, sometimes facing the consequences ofyour choices can be even worse than death. You may live only once, but you don't necessarily want it to feel like forever."
Author: Tonya Hurley
50. "Again, as a gay man I look at that and say there's a hopelessness that surrounds it, but as a human being I look at it and say 'Why? Where's this disparity coming from, and why can't we as a culture and society dig deeper to examine that?' We're terrified of facing ourselves."
Author: Zachary Quinto
Quotes About Facing Pictures