Famous Quotes About Firmly
Browse 389 famous quotes and sayings about Firmly.
Top Quotes About Firmly
1. "Definitely not," Talon said. "If you screw up like that, you don't get another chance." "But what if he really loves her and it was a mistake?" "It wasn't," Talon said firmly. "He'd keep his cockadoodle in his pants if he loved her. He wouldn't hurt the person he loved. And she should leave his ass for her own good."
Author: Aggy Bird
2. "The only picture of Tarrou he would always have would be the picture of a man who firmly gripped the steering-wheel of his car when driving, or else the picture of that stalwart body, now lying motionless. Knowing meant that: a living warmth, and a picture of death."
Author: Albert Camus
3. "There is no absurdity so palpable but that it may be firmly planted in the human head if you only begin to inculcate it before the age of five, by constantly repeating it with an air of great solemnity."
Author: Arthur Schopenhauer
4. "According to Carnap,...... "reality"is a metaphysical term for which there is no legitimate use.......We are interested in other people's loves and hates, pleasures and pains, because we are firmly persuadedthat they are as "real" as our own. We mean something we say this."
Author: Bertrand Russell
5. "In my view, there is nothing more vicious and outrageous than the abuse, exploitation and harm of the most vulnerable members of our society, and I firmly believe that our nation's laws and resources need to reflect the seriousness of these terrible crimes."
Author: Bob Ney
6. "But you have to learn to bend a little," said Clary with a yawn. Despite the story's content, the rhythm of Jace's voice had made her sleepy. "Or you'll break." "Not if your strong enough," said Jace firmly. He reached out, and she felt the back of his hand brush her cheek…"
Author: Cassandra Clare
7. "Her heart was bruised by the kiss, smashed and surprised and unsettled by it. September thought kisses were all nice, sweet things asked for gently and given gladly. It had happened so fast and sharp it had taken her breath. Perhaps she had done it wrong, somehow. She put the kiss away firmly to think about later. Instead, she smiled at him and pulled a carefree mask over her face."
Author: Catherynne M. Valente
8. "Fan would have expected that one or two of the Girls would have long rebelled at spending a life in a room, would have begged, say, the dentist, to help them steal away, but the funny thing about this existence is that once firmly settled we occupy it with less guard than we know. We watch ourselves routinely brushing our teeth, or coloring the wall, or blowing off the burn from a steaming yarn of soup noodles, and for every moment there is a companion moment that elides onto it, a secret span that deepens the original's stamp. We feel ever obliged by everyday charges and tasks. They conscript us more and more. We find world enough in a frame. Until at last we take our places at the wheel, or wall, or line, having somewhere forgotten that we can look up."
Author: Chang Rae Lee
9. "Well, there are better cartoonists now than there ever have been. I firmly believe that. There's some amazing work being done."
Author: Chris Ware
10. "Nothing stands out so conspicuously, or remains so firmly fixed in the memory, as something which you have blundered."
11. "After Blakely delivered that infamous and muchrepeated set down, he transferred his gaze to the newMarchioness of Blakely.She shook her head, once. Firmly. "Gareth," she said dryly. "It is your sister's wedding day. Behave."Silence. He'd lifted his chin, in typical Blakely arrogance.The crowd waited for the blast.And then Lord Blakely shrugged and grinned helplessly.Grinned. Helpless. A Blakely."Oh," said his sister, from where she stood near him. "Isthat how it's done? I'll have to practice that."Like that, everything society knew about nine generations of Blakelys went up in smoke.Since that day, there had been no question. Lady Blakely had been granted otherworldly powers at birth.Every smile she coaxed from him, every laugh that she surprised from his lips, stood as testament to her arcane abilities.And those that questioned her worth still had only to see the look in his eyes when he watched her to find all theproof they required."
Author: Courtney Milan
12. "I don't know how I'm going to do this, move through the hours like someone who wants to still be breathing when I had so firmly made up my mind to stop."
Author: Courtney Summers
13. "Just as a stool requires three legs to stand upright so the taekwondoist must cultivate basic skills, meaningful forms, and effective sparring in order to have both feet firmly planted in the art"
Author: Doug Cook
14. "The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball."
Author: Doug Larson
15. "O gouvernment francais, I think it was not very clever of You to put this terrible doll in La Ferte; for when Governments are found dead there is always a little doll on top of them, pulling and tweaking with his little hands to get back at the microscopic knife which sticks firmly in the quiet meat of their hearts."
Author: E.E. Cummings
16. "He moves suddenly so that his hand is cupping my sex, and one of his fingers sinks slowly into me. His other arm holds me firmly in place around my waist. "This is mine," he whispers aggressively. "All mine. Do you understand?" He eases his finger in and out as he gazes down at me, gauging my reaction, his eyes burning."Yes, yours…"Abruptly, he moves, doing several things at once: Withdrawing his fingers, leaving me wanting, unzipping his fly, and pushing me down onto the couch so he's lying on top of me."Hands on your head," he commands through gritted teeth as he kneels up, forcing my legs wider…"We don't have long. This will be quick, and it's for me, not you. Do you understand?Don't come, or I will spank you," he says through clenched teeth."
Author: E.L. James
17. "Okay. Ground rules," I said, and locked gazes with Eli. "I pee alone and I shower alone. Some things need to remain a mystery, and those are two I firmly believe in."
Author: Elle Jasper
18. "I believe the defining moment was when certain persons, who shall remain nameless, objected to my fuchsia silk striped waistcoat. I loved that waistcoat. I put my foot down, right then and there; I do not mind telling you!" To punctuate his deeply offended feelings, he stamped one silver-and-pearl-decorated high heel firmly. "No one tells me what I can and cannot wear!" He snapped up a lace fan from where it lay on a hall table and fanned himself vigorously with it for emphasis."
Author: Gail Carriger
19. "The temporal quality of all things was being firmly impressed upon me."
Author: George Peppard
20. "As the Dark Lord becomes ever more powerful, your race is set still more firmly above mine! Gringotts falls under Wizarding rule, house-elves are slaughtered, and who amongst the wand-carriers protests?""We do!" said Hermione. She had sat up straight, her eyes bright. "We protest! And I'm hunted quite as much as any goblin or elf, Griphook! I'm a Mudblood!""Don't call yourself —" Ron muttered."Why shouldn't I?" said Hermione. "Mudblood, and proud of it! I've got no higher position under this new order than you have, Griphook! It was me they chose to torture, back at the Malfoys'!"
Author: J.K. Rowling
21. "Peter,' she asked, trying to speak firmly, 'what are your exact feelings for me?'Those of a devoted son, Wendy.'I thought so,' she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.You are so queer,' he said, frankly puzzled, 'and Tiger Lily is just the same. There is something she wants to be to me, but she says it is not my mother.'No, indeed, it is not,' Wendy replied with frightful emphasis."
Author: J.M. Barrie
22. "Yes,I'm seeing someone," Nick said. Standing beside them but hardly acknowledging them.He was watching for my answer on his phone."For how long?" a woman asked."Four years," I heard him say."Aww!" I squealed. Then I turned to Chloe. "Do I want to be in People?""No," she said firmly. "Nick is ot."Gavin frowned and poked her in the side. "Hey."She ducked away from his finger. "Facts are facts. Nick is hot,and when girls read People and see he's dating you,they will call you a skank ho. You and I have mooned over Prince William. We know the deal."
Author: Jennifer Echols
23. "Seeing how I've held your penis in my hand, I think that puts you firmly in the not a stranger category."
Author: Jessica Scott
24. "Pac-Man?" The beast looked up at me, oversized fangs giving it an expression that straddled the line between deadly and dopey. A string of drool waved pendulum-like from the jaw, pushing it firmly into the latter category. "When he was a puppy, he tried to eat a ghost," Pallas explained."
Author: Jim C. Hines
25. "Thing is, I am not a big fan of hovers. I firmly believe that if man was meant to fly we'd have feathers, rubber bones, or better insurance coverage."
Author: John Zakour
26. "For he was firmly of the conviction that the body was more susceptible to disease without the presence of love to warm the organs."
Author: Julia Stuart
27. "I told you it would be difficult! If I were you I would just not bother trying these tasks! They are great challenges, clearly too great for you." said Guya, but there was a certain sparkle in his eye as he said it. "I shall complete your tasks, " said Yoshiko firmly. "And I'll be back sooner than you think!" With that he spread his wings to head for Fire School. "Oh and one more thing Guya" Yoshiko added. Perhaps when I return you will be so kind as to stop calling me a little dragon!" As Yoshiko flew off Guya chuckled to himself."
Author: Julia Suzuki
28. "I love you, Margaret Macy. And there is something I need to ask you. Something I've asked twice before and am nearly afraid to ask again. The Scriptures say let our yes be yes and our no be no, but I pray, in your case, your no may have changed . . . ?" Margaret leaned forward and kissed him firmly, warmly, on the lips. Then she smiled at him, her eyes brimming with tears. "Yes, it most definitely has."
Author: Julie Klassen
29. "Look," Grace said. "How strange! In spite of the rain, you can still see the stars. How bright they are tonight." She pointed, but Lorcan didn't look. His eyes remained fixed intently on her."I can't think of a finer sight in the whole world than the one I'm looking at right now," he said.In spite of being drenched, Grace flushed at his words.Lorcan's eyes sparkled at her, brighter than ever before. It was as if the rare blue gems of his iriseshad been washed by the rain amd buffed by the moonlight to a new intensity. "Grace, there's been something I've wanted to do for a very long time now, but things have kept getting in the way." He reached forward, bringing a hand to the side of her face. Then he gently but firmly drew her wet face toward his. He gazed at her, as if seeing her for the first time. Then he brought his soft lips down to hers and kissed her."
Author: Justin Somper
30. "Success. I turned back to my sandwich, only to find that it wasn't there anymore. Maybe because it had been hijacked. "Give me that!" I told the vamp, who was holding it firmly against his chest, a determined look on his face. "What ees zat?" he demanded, eyeing my prize. "Cheese." I held it up. "Zat ees not cheese." "How do you know?" "Eet is orange." "A lot of cheese is orange." "Non! No cheese ees that color. Cheese comes from zee milk. Zee milk, eet ees white. When 'ave you seen milk that looks like zat?" I held up the square of little slices and pointed at the bold-faced label. "Processed American Cheese." He snatched the package, without letting go of his hostage. And eyed it warily. "Eet says ‘cheese food.'" He looked up, obviously perplexed. "What ees thees? Zee cheese, it does not eat."
Author: Karen Chance
31. "Blast it! Where is that letter?"Sophia pulled it from her pocket. "I have it here."Sir Reginald's voice lifted with amazament. "You took that from me? When we were-""Yes," she said, her color high. "I thought you'd sold my jewelry and that the envelope contained the payment. I wanted proof,so I took it.""By kissing me?"Outside, lightning cracked."You kissed him?" Dougal demanded."Only once.""Actually, it was twice," Sir Reginald said softly.Dougal punched him, sending the dandy flying into the wall, where he slid to the floor."B'God, that's a nice one!" Red cried. "MacLean, I'd like to see you in a real mill.""Aye," the earl agreed. "He's got a good solid left.""What do you know about boxing? Red asked rudely."I've seen every large match for the last-"Thunder crashed as lightning sent shards of light flashing into the great hall."That's enough," Dougal said firmly, noting Sophia's pale face."
Author: Karen Hawkins
32. "Strolling, keeping step, his stout polished well-made boots setting themselves down firmly beside her thin-soled black suede, they put off as long as they could the end of their moment together, and kept up as well as they could their small talk that flew back and forth over little grooves worn in the thin upper suface of the brain, things you could say and hear clink reassuringly at once without disturbing the radiance which played and darted about the simple and lovely miracle of being two persons named Adam and Miranda, twenty-four years old each, alive and on earth at the same moment: 'Are you in the mood for dancing, Miranda?' and 'I'm always in the mood for dancing, Adam!' but there were things in the way, the day that ended with dancing was a long way to go."
Author: Katherine Anne Porter
33. "Mom was bossy. Even in print I could hear her tone, smugly congratulating me on already earning the prince's affections-she had been informed that I was the only one to get gifts to send home-and telling me firmly to keep up whatever I was doing.Yeah, Mom, I'll just keep telling the prince that he has absolutely no shot with me and offend him as often as I can. Great plan.I was glad I'd saved May's for last."
Author: Kiera Cass
34. "I'll go sleep on the couch," James said. "No, you won't," Poppy said firmly. She flopped on the bed beside him. "You're dead tired. And I know I'm safe with you." James grinned without moving his arm. "Because I'm dead tired?"
Author: L.J. Smith
35. "And also they're just good escapist fun," Vivian said firmly, and Gill subsided beside her, giving an apologetic smile. "To read about these horrible things and know they never happened, and when you're finished you can put down the book and take a deep breath and get on with your life. To know it's fiction – ""Pulp fiction," Gill said ..."
Author: Lavie Tidhar
36. "His hand clenched firmly over her bottom, holding her there while his mouth devoured hers with smoldering sensuality, licking deeply, exploring the damp silk of her inner cheeks. She couldn't seem to catch her breath…she gasped as she felt his free hand search the front of her bodice. "I want to feel you," Westcliff muttered against her trembling lips, tugging in at the unrelenting obstruction of her padded basque. "I want to kiss you everywhere…" Her breasts hurt inside her tightly cinched bodice. She was possessed by the insane urge to tear away the quilted lining of her corset and beg him to soothe her tormented flesh with his mouth and hands. Instead she threaded her fingers through the thick, slightly curling locks of his hair while he kissed her in a fever of rising need, until her thoughts were no longer coherent and she was shivering with desire."
Author: Lisa Kleypas
37. "I firmly believe artists should be paid for what they create."
Author: Mark Hoppus
38. "Life had stopped. Life would have to go on. Life went on, and in time the unbelievable began to happen; pleasure and happiness came back, and even joy. But love? Not again. I said it very firmly. Not again."
Author: Mary Stewart
39. "All I need to understand is the unwritten law of warriors," he said firmly. "And women and children are never sent to do our work without our protection." He pointed to the trees, emphatically. "That's the language I share with them."
Author: Melina Marchetta
40. "Caine wanted to be a doctor," Serena recalled with an innocent smile. "At least,that's what he told all the little girls.""It was a natural aspiration," Caine defended himself, lifting his hand to his mother's knee while his arm held Diana firmly against him."Grant used a different approach," Shelby recalled. "I think he was fourteen when he talked Dee-Dee O'Brian into modeling for him-in the nude.""That was strictly for the purpose of art," he countered when Gennie lifted a brow at him. "And I was fifteen.""Life studies are an essential part of any art course," Gennie said as she started to draw again. "I remember one male model in particular-" She broke off as Grant's eyes narrowed. "Ah,that scowl's very natural,Grant,try not to lose it."
Author: Nora Roberts
41. "You ate something that disagreed with you last night, didn't you?' I said, by way of giving him a chance to slide out of it if he wanted to. But he wouldn't have it at any price.'No!' he replied firmly. 'I didn't do anything of the kind. I drank too much. Much too much. Lots and lots too much. And, what's more, I'm going to do it again. I'm going to do it every night. If ever you see me sober, old top,' he said, with a kind of holy exaltation, 'tap me on the shoulder and say "Tut! Tut!" and I'll apologise and remedythe defect."
Author: P.G. Wodehouse
42. "It's not our place to judge the guilt or innocence of the prisoners, Nurse Webster. The sooner you learn that the better. Any other approach just leads to conflicts of duty and undermines the smooth running of the institution. We are here to ensure that the prisoners are dealt with firmly and professionally. It's up to their lawyers to handle matters pertaining to their sentences."
Author: Rachel Dax
43. "To be a good actor... it is necessary to have a firmly tempered soul, to be surprised at nothing, to resume each minute the laborious task that has barely just been finished."
Author: Sarah Bernhardt
44. "I trust my points are noted... Very noted... Received, recognized, and duly considered with the utmost gravity. Sealed, notarized, and firmly imprinted upon my rational essence."
Author: Scott Lynch
45. "I hand the cage to him and he takes it firmly in his arms.'Your hankie smells nice,' he says, almost in a whisper."
Author: Shan Sa
46. "Though plucking artichoke leaves doesn't mend all cracked spirits as firmly as pea shelling, it has its own curative power. There is a Dutch saying: "Bitter in the mouth cures the heart." If you happen to have a friend shaken by heartache, hand over a bag of raw artichokes. Once she has relieved them of their leaves, encourage one brave bite. Between the meditative peeling and the bitter taste, she should be completely healed. If there are no artichokes around, raw dandelion greens are a good substitute."
Author: Tamar Adler
47. "[T.J.] I kissed her as soon as we were inside her apartment, and I wasn't gentle about it, holding her face firmly in my hands and pressing my lips hard against hers. She wasn't anyone's to own – I knew that – but right then she was mine."
Author: Tracey Garvis Graves
48. "Pressure selling is firmly rooted in American economic life, and I'm sorry it is, for it should not be necessary. Some people think part of the panic following 1929 was due to too much pressure in selling."
Author: Vash Young
49. "Only science and the spirit of seeking truth from facts can save China. I firmly believe in this."
Author: Wen Jiabao
50. "I am firmly of the opinion that people who can't speak have nothing to say. It's one more thing we do to the poor, the deprived: cut out their tongues … allow them a language as lousy as their life"
Author: William H. Gass
Quotes About Firmly Pictures