Famous Quotes About Gamblers
Browse 18 famous quotes and sayings about Gamblers.
Top Quotes About Gamblers
1. "Contemplatives are not likely to become gamblers, or procurers, or drunkards; they do not as a rule preach intolerance, or make war; do not find it necessary to rob, swindle or grind the faces of the poor."
Author: Aldous Huxley
2. "Quit while you're ahead. All the best gamblers do."
Author: Baltasar Gracian
3. "Say farewell to luck when winning. It is the way of the gamblers of reputation. Quite as important as a gallant advance is a well-planned retreat. Lock up your winnings when they are enough, or when great. Continuous luck is always suspect; more secure is that which changes. Though half bitter and half sweet, it is more satisfying to the taste. The more luck pyramids, the greater the danger of slip and collapse. For luck always compensates her intensity by her brevity. Fortune wearies of carrying anyone long upon her shoulders."
Author: Baltasar Gracián
4. "I like playing roulette, I like dice. I grew up with gamblers."
Author: Chazz Palminteri
5. "Do you gamble, Captain MacNeill?""Never, sir.""No?" the marquis looked surprised. "Thought you soldiers were all inveterate gamblers.""Only with our lives, sir. Never had anything else I could afford to lose."
Author: Connie Brockway
6. "Mr. Suttree it is our understanding that at curfew rightly decreed by law and in that hour wherein night draws to its proper close and the new day commences and contrary to conduct befitting a person of your station you betook yourself to various low places within the shire of McAnally and there did squander several ensuing years in the company of thieves, derelicts, miscreants, pariahs, poltroons, spalpeens, curmudgeons, clotpolls, murderers, gamblers, bawds, whores, trulls, brigands, topers, tosspots, sots and archsots, lobcocks, smellsmocks, runagates, rakes, and other assorted and felonious debauchees.I was drunk, cried Suttree."
Author: Cormac McCarthy
7. "Who's to say that gamblers don't really understand it better than anyone else? Isn't everything worthwhile a gamble? Can't good come around sometimes through some strange back doors? Donna Tartt, The Goldfinch, p.758"
Author: Donna Tartt
8. "But gamblers know how a man can sit for almost twenty-four hours at cards, without looking to right, or to left."
Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
9. "Ennui has made more gamblers than avarice, more drunkards than thirst, and perhaps as many suicides as despair."
Author: Gautama Buddha
10. "I had, of course, witnessed hundreds of people in a casino before, mindlessly dropping coins into slot machines. They don't play for money in America. It's true. The big payout is incidental to most gamblers. It's the numbness they're after. Not so in China. No one had that look of glazed stupor often found in American casinos."
Author: J. Maarten Troost
11. "Is it the part of the police department to harass me when this city is a flagrant vice capital of the civilized world?" Ignatius bellowed over the crowd in front of the store. "This city is famous for its gamblers, prostitutes, exhibitionists, anti-Christs, alcoholics, sodomites, drug addicts, fetishists, onanists, pornographers, frauds, jades, litterbugs, and lesbians, all of whom are only too well protected by graft. If you have a moment, I shall endeavor to discuss the crime problems with you, but don't make the mistake of bothering me."
Author: John Kennedy Toole
12. "Its inhabitant are, as the man once said, "whores, pimps, gamblers and sons of bitches," by which he meant Everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, "Saints and angels and martyrs and holy men," and he would have meant the same thing.Quoted by Richard Wagamese in Ragged Company"
Author: John Steinbeck
13. "Gamblers and lovers really play to lose."
Author: Lawrence Durrell
14. "Who do you think I am, Pete Rose? I don't bet. I come from a long line of compulsive gamblers. Gambling scares me."
Author: Mario Cantone
15. "Producers are not gamblers. They want a good return on their investment."
Author: Max Von Sydow
16. "The concept of disease is fast replacing the concept of responsibility. With increasing zeal Americans use and interpret the assertion "I am sick" as equivalent to the assertion "I am not responsible": Smokers say they are not responsible for smoking, drinkers that they are not responsible for drinking, gamblers that they are not responsible for gambling, and mothers who murder their infants that they are not responsible for killing. To prove their point — and to capitalize on their self-destructive and destructive behavior — smokers, drinkers, gamblers, and insanity acquitees are suing tobacco companies, liquor companies, gambling casinos, and physicians."
Author: Thomas Stephen Szasz
17. "Gambling is an act of faith of gamblers.Prophecy is an act of faith of the saints."
Author: Toba Beta
18. "I miss the personalization that Vegas was - there were showroom captains and all the dealers knew the gamblers by their first names."
Author: Wayne Newton
Quotes About Gamblers Pictures