Famous Quotes About Give Up
Browse 3000 famous quotes and sayings about Give Up.
Top Quotes About Give Up
1. "When I moved to Los Angeles, aged 54, I printed out Winston Churchill's phrase, 'Never, never, never give up', and stuck it on my fridge. I had no idea what was going to happen, but I knew I had to keep on going."
Author: Alan Dale
2. "Even now, I found it difficult to believe that my father could or might be dying. He had always been a strong man, a good leader. No one had ever seen him with his head bowed in despair or defeat, no one had ever seen him slump in resignation, nor had anyone ever had even so much as a hint from him that he might ever give up. It was hard to picture all that strength drained from my father's body."
Author: Ann Marston
3. "Often, people give up without knowing success was just around the corner; if they had only preserved a little longer, if they had only tried one more time, they could have succeed."
Author: Ashley Ormon
4. "My life is the highest of values, too high to give up without a fight."
Author: Ayn Rand
5. "I started my life with a single absolute: that the world was mine to shape in the image of my highest values and never to be given up to a lesser standard, no matter how long or hard the struggle."
Author: Ayn Rand
6. "Its harder to beat a person that never gives up."
Author: Babe Ruth
7. "The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water.Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side.It's not surprising a lot of people have given up compeating altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse.What the human race needs is a lot more streakers."
8. "The more you struggle to live, the less you live. Give up the notion that you must be sure of what you are doing. Instead, surrender to what is real within you, for that alone is sure....you are above everything distressing."
Author: Baruch Spinoza
9. "Whenever we give up, leave behind, and forget too much, there is always the danger that the things we have neglected will return with added force"
Author: C.G. Jung
10. "She'd grown up believing in hell in an abstract nightmare way; but west Texas had given her something more concrete upon which to dread the afterlife."
Author: Cherie Priest
11. "When white people envision their perfect home, it always has hardwood floors. In fact, most white people would prefer a dirt floor over wall-to-wall carpeting, because to them it would have the same level of cleanliness and probably fewer germs.White people are petrified of germs, and when they look at a carpet all they can see is everything that has ever been spilled, tracked in, or shaken loose into the carpet fibers. But more disgusting to white people is that wall-to-wall carpeting reminds them of suburban homes, motel rooms, and the horrible apartments that they have visited or lived in over the years. It has no soul. Only germs.Hardwood floors, on the other hand, are easily cleaned and give a sense of character to a place, since they are often the original flooring in older buildings. It is a well-known white fantasy to purchase a home or apartment that has disgusting carpet and then to pull it up to reveal a beautiful hardwood floor underneath."
Author: Christian Lander
12. "When you write it, don't write it in the manner of a spooky story. Don't try to give an explanation. Just say that I don't know what to make of it, just write it like I tell it, so the reader can make up his own mind."
Author: David Mitchell
13. "As if this were not enough, Jesus finished his seeker-sensitive plea with a pull-at-your-heartstrings conclusion. "Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple."8 Give up everything you have, carry a cross, and hate your family. This sounds a lot different than "Admit, believe, confess, and pray a prayer after me."
Author: David Platt
14. "He was my husband, my apartment mate, my soul mate, the father of the little plant in my confused soil, the lover who had made me adore his body without inhibition after my years of relative solitude, the person for whom I'd given up my old self."
Author: Elizabeth Kostova
15. "Sorry, I got hung up or I'd have been here earlier. I made sure I made it for closing, though. I didn't want the streets to suffer if you walked alone."A glance at him showed his lips twitching. Humor, a new facet to my knight in leather armor; one I liked, given my oftentimes sarcastic attitude towards life. He wore the same leather duster of the previous evening, and, once again, I enviously admired it. Unable to resist, I reached out a hand and stroked its supple surface, feeling a thrill that my hand strayed so close to his actual body. "It's so soft," I murmured."Not for long, if you keep stroking it," he drawled."
Author: Eve Langlais
16. "Solitude, I reflected, is the one deep necessity of the human spirit to which adequate recognition is never given in our codes. It is looked upon as a discipline or penance, but hardly ever as the indispensable, pleasant ingredient it is to ordinary life, and from this want of recognition come half our domestic troubles."
Author: Freya Stark
17. "Everything must justify its existence before the judgment seat of Reason, or give up existence."
Author: Friedrich Engels
18. "He entered a confectioner's shop to rest, once. He was in a state of nervous excitement and perturbation; he noticed nothing and no one; and he felt a craving for solitude, to be alone with his thoughts and his emotions, and to give himself up to them passively. He loathed the idea of trying to answer the questions that would rise up in his heart and mind. "I am not to blame for all this," he thought to himself, half unconsciously."
Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
19. "Not to give away the woman one loved, but to back her up in her mistakes -- once they had gone a certain length -- that was perhaps chief among the inevitabilities of the abjection of love."
Author: Henry James
20. "If he does not come to me, then,' said she, 'I shall give him up for ever."
Author: Jane Austen
21. "I was forced to be an artist and a CEO from the beginning, so I was forced to be like a businessman because when I was trying to get a record deal, it was so hard to get a record deal on my own that it was either give up or create my own company."
Author: Jay Z
22. "If I let them take away my demons, I'll have to give up what I've found."
Author: Jeanette Winterson
23. "The Bravest and Greatest of all men mostly don't live very long simply because they always give up their lives for others. That's what makes them the Greatest..."
Author: Jerome Makiti
24. "I give as much as I can, and it's up to someone else to turn it into a movie. Good luck to you!"
Author: John C. Reilly
25. "When Marconi suggested the possibility of wireless transmission of sound (the radio),he was committed to a mental institution. But people like Lincoln, Edison, and Marconi were strongly motivated. So they didn't give up. They somehow knew that the only real failure is the one from which we learn nothing. They seemed to go on the assumption that there is no failure greater than the failure of not trying, and so they continued to try in the face of repeated failures."
Author: John Powell
26. "After I had given up to go, the thoughts of the journey were often attended with unusual sadness, at which times my heart was frequently turned to the Lord with inward breathings for his heavenly support, that I might not fail to follow him wheresoever he might lead me."
Author: John Woolman
27. "The problem: If you've an antique for sale, then, sad to relate, the world isn't your oyster. It's not that easy. Even if somebody gives you the National Gallery, your options are still very, very limited. Okay, you can sell the Old Masters, set up a trust, buy your favorite brewery. But that's strictly it. You're limited by honesty on one hand and law - that hobble of sanity - on the other."
Author: Jonathan Gash
28. "If you would take one step forward, darling, you could cry in my arms. And while you do, I'll tell you how sorry I am for everything I've done -" Unable to wait, Ian caught her, pulling her tightly against him. "And when I'm finished," he whispered hoarsely as she wrapped her arms around him and wept brokenly, "you can help me find a way to forgive myself."Tortured by her tears, he clasped her tighter and rubbed his jaw against her temple, his voice a ravaged whisper: "I'm sorry," he told her. He cupped her face between his palms, tipping it up and gazing into her eyes, his thumbs moving over her wet cheeks. "I'm sorry." Slowly, he bent his head, covering her mouth with his. "I'm so damned sorry."
Author: Judith McNaught
29. "Please keep your children at your side. Unattended children will be given a shot of espresso and a puppy."(petting zoo sign)"
Author: Katie MacAlister
30. "I see. And who is this author?""Neil Fucking Gaiman.""His second name is Fucking?""No, Leif, that's the honorary second name all celebrities are given by their fans. It's not an insult, it's a huge compliment, and he's earned it. You'd like him. He dresses all in black like you. Read a couple of his books, and then when you meet him, you'll squee too."Leif found the suggestion distasteful. "I would never behave with so little dignity. Nor would I wish to be confronted in such a manner by anyone else. Vampires inspire screams, not squees. Involuntary urination is common, I grant, but it properly flows from a sense of terror, not an ecstatic sense of hero worship."
Author: Kevin Hearne
31. "I have to admit, this place gives me the creeps.' [said Scully].'The creeps?' said Mulder with a smile. 'Just because a bunch of big, strong men cleared out so fast they didn't finish their food? And then vanished into thin air? Don't be silly. I'm sure there's a nice scientific explanation. Oh, sorry Scully. You're the one who's supposed to be telling me that, right?"
Author: Les Martin
32. "My story is about all I got to my name right now, and that's why I feel robbed. But a story's a whole lot more than most people got. All you people watching out there, you're listening to what I say because I have something you don't: I got plot. Bought and paid for. That's what all you people want, and why you're sucking off me. You want my plot. I know how you feel too, since hey, I used to feel the same way. TV and video games and movies and computer screens... On April 8th, 1999, I jumped into the screen, I switched to watchee. Ever since, I've known what my life is about. I give good story. It may have been kinda gory, but admit it, you all loved it. You ate it up. Nuts, I ought to be on some government payroll. Without people like me, the whole country would jump off a bridge, 'cause the only thing on TV is some housewife on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? winning $64,000 for remembering the name of the president's dog."
Author: Lionel Shriver
33. "Lucern was worth giving up chocolate. Dark chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate - she would happily give it all up for him."
Author: Lynsay Sands
34. "Mao recalled: "Very many members of our family have given their lives, killed by the Kuomintang and the American imperialists. You grew up eating honey, and thus far you have never known suffering. In the future, if you do not become a rightist, but rather a centrist, I shall be satisfied. You have never suffered--how can you be a leftist?" "
Author: Mao Tse Tung
35. "I notice that you use plain, simple language, short words and brief sentences. That is the way to write English?it is the modern way and the best way. Stick to it; don't let fluff and flowers and verbosity creep in. When you catch an adjective, kill it. No, I don't mean utterly, but kill most of them?then the rest will be valuable. They weaken when they are close together. They give strength when they are wide apart. An adjective habit, or a wordy, diffuse, flowery habit, once fastened upon a person, is as hard to get rid of as any other vice."
Author: Mark Twain
36. "Give up on me giving up."
Author: Masashi Kishimoto
37. "We seem to think that God wants us to give up things!... God nowhere tells us to give up things for the sake of giving them up. He tells us to give them up for the sake of the only thing worth having ---- viz., life with Himself."
Author: Oswald Chambers
38. "So what really works? Treatments in jail do some good, but it's mostly too late: finding a family and a job or just growing older make most prisoners eventually give up crime."
Author: Polly Toynbee
39. "If beauty is pain — let me get lost in it. If you're my salvation — I want to earn it. If love is all I have to give — then let me give it. You. It's all for you." Gabe's eyes opened and locked in on mine. "How can I prove that what I feel is real? You ask for truth I give you lies. You ask for joy I make you cry. But I don't want to lose you. Not like this. Not when I've left your heart in such a mess. Give me one chance — I'm letting go of the past — but I need you here to know." "If beauty is pain — let me get lost in it. If you're my salvation — I want to earn it. If love is all I have to give — then let me give it. You, it's all for you." He paused, hitting the last few notes, and the song ended. Gabe's smile lit up the room. But I was frozen in place. Me. He'd sung that to me."
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
40. "I had achieved the most important things in my life when I married Joan and had the sons. Given the choice between Joan and the boys, and being a writer, I world give up being a writer without a blink."
Author: Robert B. Parker
41. "Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, face the facts."
Author: Ruth Gordon
42. "Mr. Robbins let slip that he had not beensleeping well. He'd given up his room at the lodging house to a lady traveling by herself,who'd come into Nowshera too tired to stand, when Nowshera was overrun and bedsimpossible to find. When the lady left, the landlord had given the room to someone else,leaving Mr. Robbins to sleep in rather atrocious places.""Dear me," said Lady Vera."He didn't know it, but that lady was Mrs. Marsden. And I, for one, will always be gratefulthat he helped her when there was absolutely nothing in it for him."Lady Vera set down her tea. She reached forward and took Leo's hands. "Thank you, Mr.Marsden. Sometimes I forget that beneath Michael's ambition, there is not a void, but muchkindness. Thank you for reminding me."
Author: Sherry Thomas
43. "Parents, families, and caregivers are a "minority" group in the mental health system. This population is hungry for knowledge, direction, and peace of mind. The first step toward these things is embracing truth about our "fallen" mental health system"
Author: Tamara Hill
44. "Derrida… labels as ‘metaphysical' any such thought system which depends on an unassailable foundation, a first principle or unimpeachable ground upon which a whole hierarchy of meanings may be constructed. It is not that he believes that we can merely rid ourselves of the urge to forge such first principles, for such an impulse is deeply embedded in our history, and cannot — at least as yet — be eradicated or ignored. Derrida would see his own work as inescapably ‘contaminated' by such metaphysical thought, much as he strives to give it the slip. But if you examine such first principles closely, you can see that they may always be ‘deconstructed': they can be shown to be products of a particular system of meaning, rather than what props it up from the outside."
Author: Terry Eagleton
45. "Wherever sufficiently numerous series of the remains of any given group, which has endured for a long space of time, are carefully examined, their morphological relations are never in discordance with the requirements of the doctrine of evolution, and often afford convincing evidence of it. At the same time, it has been shown that certain forms persist with very little change, from the oldest to the newest fossiliferous formations; and thus show that progressive development is a contingent, and not a necessary result, of the nature of living matter."
Author: Thomas Henry Huxley
46. "Well, it gives me the opportunity to make the movies that I want to do, because L'Oreal pays me very well. Also it means that I can work with great directors. My last commercial was directed by Erick Zonca, who made 'Dream Life of Angels.' And finally, it doesn't take up a lot of my time."
Author: Virginie LeDoyen
47. "(In a letter from Einstein to Curie) Do not laugh at me for writing you without having anything sensible to say. But I am so enraged by the base manner in which the publc is presently daring to concern itself with you that I absolutely must give vent to this feeling. I am impelled to tell you how much I have come to admire your intellect, your drive, and your honesty, and that I consider myself lucky to have made your personal acquaintance in Brussels. Anyone who does not number among these reptiles is certainly happy, now as before, that we have such personages amoung us as you, and Langevin too, real peole with whom one feels privileged to be in contact. If the rabble continues to occupy itself with you, then simply dont read that hogwash, but rather leave it to the reptile for whom it has been fabricated."
Author: Walter Isaacson
48. "He was the mighty Fezzik, lover of rhymes, and you did not give up, no matter what."
Author: William Goldman
49. "I thought if you loved someone you were supposed to, like, forgive them. I thought that was what love was supposed to be all about."Cork shook his head: "Easy to say, harder to do."
Author: William Kent Krueger
50. "So you cheat on your wife and you want me to give you a gold star for it, said Domino. Well, mister, I pity your wife and I don't give a fuck about you. Now I've got to go outside for a minute and see a man about a dog. When I come back, if you want a flatback or a blow, you just lay down your money in my hand. But no more of your hypocritical bullshit. Who the hell do you think you are? You're just a kid in the candy store that can't decide which kind of liquorice he wants to stuff his face with. Now sit there and shut up."
Author: William T. Vollmann
Quotes About Give Up Pictures