Famous Quotes About Giving Back
Browse 174 famous quotes and sayings about Giving Back.
Top Quotes About Giving Back
1. "The role of the prophet was ambiguous in the eyes of some of his contemporaries. The indignation that flowed from him, the anger he displayed, even when extrinsic to his mind, became so intimate a part of his soul that those exposed to it could easily mistake it as his own antipathy rather than as sympathy with divine anger, and could assume that he had his own ax to grind, that he was giving vent to personal hostility. It seems that Jeremiah was accused of feeling delight in anticipating the disaster which he had announced in the name of the Lord. He who loved his people, whose life was dedicated to saving his people, was regarded as an enemy. Over and above the agony of sensing the imminent disaster, his soul was bruised by calumny. What protection was there against such backbiting? No one could look into his heart, but everybody was hurt by his words. Only the Lord knew the truth."
Author: Abraham Heschel
2. "Alessa looked at Brennus giving him a smirk."Brennus.""Alessa.""Still think that you are the God's gift to all faeries?""Still trying to convince yourself that I am not?" Brennus responded smirking arrogantly and leaning back in his chair."
Author: B.C. Morin
3. "You're giving up the hunt for de Taillebourg?' Thomas asked. He had learned the priest's name from Robbie. 'No.' Robbie still had his head back as he stared at the magnificence of the transept's ceiling. 'I'll find him and then I'll gralloch the bastard.' Thomas did not know what gralloch meant, but decided the word was bad news for de Taillebourg."
Author: Bernard Cornwell
4. "We live sacrificially when we're outside the will of God, giving up all sorts of things that were meant to be ours in Christ. We want to claim those things back, but in the process we're going to be putting a few other things on the altar."
Author: Beth Moore
5. "...it's technically impossible for a woman to argue against feminism. Without feminism you wouldn't be allowed to have a debate on a woman's place in society. You'd be too busy giving birth on the kitchen floor -- biting down on a wooden spoon, so as not to disturb the men's card game -- before going back to hoeing the rutabaga field."
Author: Caitlin Moran
6. "Magnus had learned to be careful about giving his memories with his heart. When people died, it felt like all the pieces of yourself you had given to them went as well. It took so long, building yourself back up until you were whole again, and you were never entirely the same."
Author: Cassandra Clare
7. "After the fire, when I'd tried to express my gratitude for their kindness to our customers, they'd been awkward, uncomfortable. My father had had to explain to me that giving thanks is not a common practice in India.'Then how do you know if people appreciated what you did?' I'd asked.'Do you really need to know?' my father had asked back."
Author: Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
8. "Mindfulness does not erase negative memories; it 'transcends' them giving us back our deepest power which resides in our hearts."
Author: Christopher Dines
9. "Giving back involves a certain amount of giving up."
Author: Colin Powell
10. "There is no Thanksgiving back in the old country where I come from. You know why? Because being thankful is a sin."
Author: Craig Ferguson
11. "He's giving it all back. I hate how much this hurts me, how much I'm clearly still hanging on to what we had."
Author: Cynthia Hand
12. "I'll give you your Christmas present now if you'll give me mine."I shook my head. "At breakfast.""But it's Christmas now.""Breakfast.""Whatever you're giving me," she said, "I hope I don't like it.""You'll have to keep them anyway, because the man at the Aquarium said he positively wouldn't take them back. He said they'd already bitten the tails off the..."
Author: Dashiell Hammett
13. "Annamaria had preferred oil rather than electric lamps. She said that sunshine grows plants, the plants express essential oils, and years later those oils fire the lamps - giving back 'the light of the other days'."
Author: Dean Koontz
14. "Livia wiped her cheeks and eyes, then tucked the tissue into her bouquet instead of giving it back to her sister.Years later, a little girl would pull that tissue out and ask her mother about it. "The Sobbing Bride" would become one of the girl's favorite tales She would request it from her mother's point of view, then run to have her father tell his version."
Author: Debra Anastasia
15. "Caregiving offers many fringe benefits, including the sheer sensory delight of nourishing and grooming, sharing, and playing. But caregiving does buttonhole you; you're stitched in one place. . . . Paul wasn't on a learning curve but seemed trapped in a circle. He's swoop forward only to loop back again and fall to earth."
Author: Diane Ackerman
16. "I need to check your ankle." "Ask." "If you object, I—" "Giving me a chance to object is not the same as asking permission. You're used to telling people what to do. That works with those guards you're in charge of. You aren't in charge of me. You have to ask." One corner of his mouth turned up. "It's more efficient my way." "If your primary goal in life is efficiency, you should just die." That startled him. His head actually jerked back. "What?" "The most efficient way to live a life is to die a couple seconds after you're born. Pfft. Done." She dusted her hands to demonstrate that. "It's too late for you to achieve optimal efficiency, but you could still . . ."
Author: Eileen Wilks
17. "We grow up going to school, where you get a gold star, you get the A-plus," she says. "At work you're constantly being evaluated. Then you become a homemaker and suddenly nobody is giving you feedback. Suddenly no one is paying attention to what you're doing. Blogging is a way to get this validation from other people. You put up a recipe and people go, 'Hey, that's a great photograph.'" Clearly blogs can give emotional value to housework. But if a blogger is actually making money from a blog, even a little bit of money, it cane make the blog even more validating."
Author: Emily Matchar
18. "Through Christ we have a new identity--we should not be speaking to our old man, the sinner, and giving him his identity back."
Author: Eric Samuel Timm
19. "Her Yankees-loving, bottle cap-giving, dimpled smile other half was gone, and there wasn't anything she wouldn't do to turn back time."
Author: Gail McHugh
20. "I wept when the muse Ulla bent over me. Blinded by tears I could not prevent her from kissing me, I could not prevent the Muse from giving me that terrible kiss. All of you who have ever been kissed by the Muse will surely understand that Oskar, once branded by that kiss, was condemned to take back the drum he had rejected years before, the drum he had buried in the sand of Sapse Cemetery."
Author: Günter Grass
21. "I feel like giving myself a pat on the back. We can create history tonight. We can bid goodbye to 10 years of (Liberal-Conservative) government which has ground to a halt, and get a new government and a new majority in Denmark."
Author: Helle Thorning Schmidt
22. "When you give up,' said a slim older man whose home we rebuilt, 'you might as well lay down and die.' It was obvious that we weren't just giving people back their homes, but also restoring a sense of dignity."
Author: Howard Schultz
23. "Sir -- Professor Dumbledore. Can I ask you something." "Obviously, you've just done so," Dumbledore smiled. "You may ask me one more thing, however." "What do you see when you look in the mirror." "I— I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks." Harry stared."One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books."It was only when he was back in bed that it struck Harry that Dumbledore might not have been quite truthful."
Author: J.K. Rowling
24. "Professor Dumbledore. Can I ask you something?""Obviously, you've just done so," Dumbledore smiled. "You may ask me one more thing, however." "What do you see when you look in the mirror?" "I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks." Harry stared."One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books."It was only when he was back in bed that it struck Harry that Dumbledore might not have been quite truthful. But then, he thought, as he shoved Scabbers off his pillow, it had been quite a personal question."
Author: J.K. Rowling
25. "This isn't the girl I fell in love with. My sweet, giving, patient, loving, caring, fun-loving Skye disappeared when you were kidnapped. I'm so scared I'll never get her back."
Author: J.L. McCoy
26. "Having constant supporters and people who are always there and always giving back and knowing that they're loving what you're doing is always awesome to see."
Author: Jake T. Austin
27. "Colour outside the lines, live outside the box. Don't let anyone tell you what to do, or not. Don't be afraid, listen to your heart. Heaven is a state of being – of one-ness, and Hell is a state of being – lost. We simply need to live as we best define ourselves, find our own ways of being who we are in our world. There is no requirement - only freedom of choice. We should not be judged if we are doing what we think best according to our perceptions at any given time. Guilt should be discarded, moved beyond - what matters is who we choose to be in the next moment, given what we might have learned. We continually create ourselves anew. Forgiving someone is a great way to show love, and forgive yourself too for the hurt you held onto far too long. Take back the energy you have wasted on these things and reclaim your power to be your next best self. Honour the past but refresh, expand, renew, fulfill. Heaven is within us, always reachable."
Author: Jay Woodman
28. "There was this book Dad used to read to me every night called "The Giving Tree." It was a really good book, but the back of it had a picture of the author, this guy named Shel Silverstein.But Shel Silverstein looks more like a burglar or a pirate than a guy who should be writing books for kids.Dad must have known that picture kind of freaked me out, because one night after I got out of bed, Dad said: "IF YOU GET OUT OF BED AGAIN TONIGHT, YOU'LL PROBABLY RUN INTO SHEL SILVERSTEIN IN THE HALLWAY."That really did the trick, Ever since then, I STILL don't get out of bed at night, even if I really need to use the bathroom."
Author: Jeff Kinney
29. "Danny had no idea what the thing was. All he knew was that he lived more or less in a constant state of expecting something any day, any hour, that would change everything, knock the world upside down and put Danny's whole life into perspective as a story of complete success, because every twist and turn and snag and fuckup would always have been leading up to this. Unexpected stuff could hit him like the thing at first: a girl he'd forgotten giving his number to suddenly calling up out of the blue, a friend with some genius plan for making money, better yet a person he'd never heard of who wanted to talk. Danny got an actual physical head rush from messages like these, but as soon as he called back and found out the details, the calls would turn out to just be about more projects, possibilities, schemes that boiled down to everything staying exactly like it was."
Author: Jennifer Egan
30. "Those who devote their lives to serving our country, children, and neighborhoods are giving back. They have answered the call to serve."
Author: Jennifer M. Granholm
31. "Hi, already doused, was nonchalant. "Did the bad Indian throw you in the water, boy?" Taking a knee, he ruffled Coop's ears. "Been there."Hi was referring to Ben's claim of ties to the Sewee, a North American clan folded into the Catawba tribe centuries ago. He'd even named his boat Sewee."I feel your pain," Hi continued. "Thanksgiving was a huge mistake."Coop licked Hi's face."Not nice," I joked. "You'll sour Jewish-Sewee relations.""It's true, I take it back," Hi said. "Our peoples have a rich history of mutual respect. Long live the alliance!"
Author: Kathy Reichs
32. "He looked at me, eyebrows high and the sun glinting on his disguise-black hair. "You do the damnedest things in order to rile yourself up. Most people settle for doing it in an elevator, but not you. No, you have to make sure it's a vampire you're playing kissy-face with." Heat washed through me, pulled by anger and embarrassment. Ivy had said the same thing. "I do not!" "Rache," he cajoled, sitting up to match my posture. "Look at yourself. You're an adrenaline junkie. You not only need danger to make good in the bedroom, you need it to get through your normal day." "Shut up!" I shouted, giving him a backhanded thwack on his shoulder. "I like adventure, that's all."
Author: Kim Harrison
33. "You're perfect, baby."I blinked. Then I whispered, "Knight – ""No, Anya, no fucked up shit outta that sweet mouth. I'm not gonna listen to it and I'll work my balls off, I don't care if it takes decades, to make you stop even thinkin' it. Instead, you gotta know that every second I spend with you it becomes more and more clear that you were made for me. A gift I don't deserve, didn't earn but I'm not giving it back."
Author: Kristen Ashley
34. ""Your king did not break through with me until his touch stopped taking and started giving and until, in our cham, he treated me with kindness. He is the mightiest of Suh Tunak, recognized the battle he had on his hands, analyzed it, created his strategy and then he went about winning that battle using any means necessary. And, Zahnin," I edged closer and for the sake of this man who pledged to guard me even if it meant giving his life, who backed me against Dortak and who clearly wanted his wife to settle in her new life with him in his cham, I admitted to him at the same time I admitted to myself, "My Lahn won that battle. I now lay awake at night waiting for him to return. When he does not, I fall asleep looking forward to the morning when he will wake me with his hands. He is my King, He is my Warrior, He is my Husband and I am proud to say above all...He is MINE." "
Author: Kristen Ashley
35. "Thurber was asked by a correspondent: "Why did you have a comma in the sentence, 'After dinner, the men went into the living-room'?" And his answer was probably one of the loveliest things ever said about punctuation. "This particular comma," Thurber explained, "was Ross's way of giving the men time to push back their chairs and stand up."
Author: Lynne Truss
36. "I tried to find a way to go on. I could see familiar traces of the path that was my life, but there was always the wall behind me. Do you know what I mean? First you try and climb, pretending it never happened, but it's too tall. Then you try to go around, thinking you can fix it, but it is too far. Then, in frustration, you beat on it with your hands, but it does nothing, so you tire and sit down and just stare at it. You stare because you can't bring yourself to walk away. Walking away means that you're giving up, abandoning them. "There is no way back. There is only forward. It's impossible to imagine there's any reason to move ahead, but that isn't the real reason you give up. The real fear--the terror that keeps you rooted--is that you might be wrong." --Myron, Monk of Maribor"
Author: Michael J. Sullivan
37. "A stubborn refusal of the conditions of 20th Century 'reality', surrealism has denied intransigently and consistently that modern man can live without a sense of wonder at the world that was once embodied in myth. In approaching literature, it has aimed at restoring to the word its magical qualities. And at giving back to language the elemental power it once had within society. This determinism lies at the heart of the surrealist attitude and distinguishes it radically from the modernism which took shape contemporaneously with it."
Author: Michael Richardson
38. "You cry and you scream and you stomp your feet and you shout. You say, 'You know what? I'm giving up, I don't care.' And then you go to bed and you wake up and it's a brand new day, and you pick yourself back up again."
Author: Nicole Scherzinger
39. "Fashion and wearing clothes is a daily routine for everybody. What better way to spread the word of giving back and philanthropic ways of life than to wear something that gives back to charity?"
Author: Patrick Schwarzenegger
40. "We do not want to be giving quality sides such as Southampton, Palace, Norwich and the rest eight or nine points start and expect to get back up with them."
Author: Paul Ince
41. "Yeah, well," Nico said, "not giving people a second thought…that can be dangerous." "Dude, I'm trying to say thank you." Nico laughed without humor. "I'm trying to say you don't need to. Now I need to finish this, if you could give me some space?" "Yeah. Yeah, okay." Percy stepped back while Nico took up the slack on his ropes. He slipped them over his shoulders as if the Athena Parthenos were a giant backpack. Percy couldn't help feeling a little hurt, being told to take a hike. Then again, Nico had been through a lot. The guy had survived in Tartarus on his own. Percy understood firsthand just how much strength that must have taken. Annabeth walked up the hill to join them. She took Percy's hand, which made him feel better. "Good luck," she told Nico."
Author: Rick Riordan
42. "Time is your most precious gift because you only have a set amount of it. You can make more money, but you can't make more time. When you give someone your time, you are giving them a portion of your life that you'll never get back. Your time is your life. That is why the greatest gift you can give someone is your time.It is not enough to just say relationships are important; we must prove it by investing time in them. Words alone are worthless. "My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action." Relationships take time and effort, and the best way to spell love is "T-I-M-E."
Author: Rick Warren
43. "When you shoot a movie, the camera is always taking, taking, taking and not giving anything back."
Author: Rodrigo Santoro
44. "Wrong Question: How to love?Right Question: Why am I afraid to love?Wrong Question: Why do you love me?Right Question: Do I love myself as much as you do?Wrong Question: Why does love hurt?Right Question: Why do I live in fantasies and expect so much without really giving anything back?Wrong Question: What will you do for me?Right Question: Am I capable of making your life more beautiful?Wrong interpretation: Let's be practical.Right interpretation: Let's be wild and unconditional in our love without pretending.Wrong Confession: I want love in life.Right Confession: I am lonely and I will start by being friendly with myself first.Wrong Advice: Mind and ThoughtsRight Advice: Heart"
Author: Saurabh Sharma
45. "I'm not as good as a man as you are, Sundown. I find it hard to give an enemy my back under any circumstance." – Ren"Oh, I didn't say I was giving her my back. I'm not lacking all my noodle sense. But I'm not holding a grudge neither. Sometimes you just got to let the rattlesnake lay in the sun." – Sundown"Men? You do know I'm standing in this little box with you and can hear every word?" – Abigail "We know. I merely don't care." – Ren"
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
46. "But as much as Greyson's overly warm body had to be worked around and compensated for in summer, at that moment she was eternally and ridiculously grateful for it. She almost thought she heard her own skin sizzle when it came into contact with his: some of the cramping in her muscles relaxed. Only to tense up again when she saw, through her half-closed eyes, Greyson's second gaurd and Malleus's brother, Maleficarum, advancing on her with a hypodermic needle. Something clear squirted ominously from it's sharp silver tip. "Oh, no," she managed, "You are not giving me a shot.""'Sonly under the skin, m'lady. You'll barely even feel it, honest." Maleficarum's features did no do "innocent" well: he looked like a serial killer trying to hide a severed head behind his back."
Author: Stacia Kane
47. "Manifesting your desires requires an understanding of the universe's abundance and inherently giving nature. If you ask from a position of fear or desperation, you are sending out your fear and desperation, and the universe, giving, reflecting, and non-judgmental as it is, will send those right back at you."
Author: Stephen Richards
48. "My father... very generous, very philanthropic, very charitable man. My siblings and I and my mother continue with always appreciating and always giving back. It's something I hope that I've become a role model for my children."
Author: Steve Tisch
49. "Balloons"Since Christmas they have lived with us, Guileless and clear, Oval soul-animals, Taking up half the space, Moving and rubbing on the silk Invisible air drifts, Giving a shriek and pop When attacked, then scooting to rest, barely trembling. Yellow cathead, blue fish--- Such queer moons we live with Instead of dead furniture! Straw mats, white walls And these traveling Globes of thin air, red, green, Delighting The heart like wishes or free Peacocks blessing Old ground with a feather Beaten in starry metals. Your small Brother is making His balloon squeak like a cat. Seeming to see A funny pink world he might eat on the other side of it, He bites, Then sits Back, fat jug Contemplating a world clear as water. A red Shred in his little fist."
Author: Sylvia Plath
50. "So you," she said, meeting his eyes, "are a librarian. What does that make me then? A seven-day loan?"Daniel laughed as he set his book aside. He moved toward her and lightly gripped her knees."Seven-day loan… I'm not sure I like the thought of giving you back." He slid his hands up her thighs and took her by the hips."But what about overdue fines?" she asked, playfully flashing her eyes at him."I think I can afford them," he said. Eleanor tried to voice another protest but his mouth was already on hers."
Author: Tiffany Reisz
Quotes About Giving Back Pictures