Famous Quotes About Illusions
Browse 312 famous quotes and sayings about Illusions.
Top Quotes About Illusions
1. "Si je rencontrerais ajourd'hui, je lui filerais une grande claque pour le punir de m'avoir maudite en me souhaitant des expériences. Et je pleurerais sur son épaule, pour des tas de raisons. Pas parce qu'il ne m'a pas épousée, mais à cause de toutes les désillusions qui sont venues avec mes expériences."
Author: Agathe Colombier Hochberg
2. "Thus he spent his whole life searching for his own truth, but it remained hidden to him because he had learned at a very young age to hate himself for what his mother had done to him. (...) But not once did he allow himself to direct his endless, justified rage at the true culprit, the woman who had kept him locked up in her prison for as long as she could. All his life he attempted to free himself of that prison, with the help of drugs, travel, illusions, and above all poetry. But in all these desperate efforts to open the doors that would have led to liberation, one of them remained obstinently shut, the most important one: the door to the emotional reality of his childhood, to the feelings of the little child who was forced to grow up with a severely disturbed, malevolent woman, with no father to protect him from her."
Author: Alice Miller
3. "I have loved works of fiction precisely for their illusions, for the author's sleight-of-hand in showing me the magic, what appeared in the right hand but not in the left..."
Author: Amy Tan
4. "This is where we are at right now, as a whole. No one is left out of the loop. We are experiencing a reality based on a thin veneer of lies and illusions. A world where greed is our God and wisdom is sin, where division is key and unity is fantasy, where the ego-driven cleverness of the mind is praised, rather than the intelligence of the heart."
Author: Bill Hicks
5. "They were told what they wanted and they believed it. They can only keep their dream alive by being with others like themselves who will mirror their illusions."
Author: Christopher Moore
6. "Men will clutch at illusions when they have nothing else to hold to."
Author: Czeslaw Milosz
7. "Finally, the illusions of validity and skill are supported by a powerful professional culture. We know that people can maintain an unshakable faith in any proposition, however absurd, when they are sustained by a community of like-minded believers. Given the professional culture of the financial community, it is not surprising that large numbers of individuals in that world believe themselves to be among the chosen few who can do what they believe others cannot."
Author: Daniel Kahneman
8. "Dreams are illusions, and we can't let go of them because we would be dead."
Author: David Copperfield
9. "All problems are illusions of the mind."
Author: Eckhart Tolle
10. "To be identified with your mind is to be trapped in time: the compulsion to live almost exclusively through memory and anticipation. This creates an endless preoccupation with past and future and an unwillingness to honor and acknowledge the present moment and allow it to be. The compulsion arises because the past gives you an identity and the future holds the promise of salvation, of fulfillment in whatever form. Both are illusions."
Author: Eckhart Tolle
11. "These are illusions of popular history which successful religion must promote: Evil men never prosper; only the brave deserve the fair; honesty is the best policy; actions speak louder than words; virtue always triumpths; a good deed is its own rewards; any bad human can be reformed; religious talismans protect one from demon possession; only females understand the ancient mysteries; the rich are doomed to unhappiness"
Author: Frank Herbert
12. "Where we encounter the "naïve" in art, we should recognize the highest effect of Apollinian culture--which always must first overthrow an empire of Titans and slay monsters, and which must have triumphed over an abysmal and terrifying view of the world and the keenest susceptibility to suffering through recourse to the most forceful and pleasurable illusions."
Author: Friedrich Nietzsche
13. "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."
Author: George R.R. Martin
14. "To be fully free to create, we must first find the courage and willingness to let go:Let go of the strategies that have worked for us in the past...Let go of our biases, the foundation of our illusions...Let go of our grievances, the root source of our victimhood...Let go of our so-often-denied fear of being found unlovable."
Author: Gordon MacKenzie
15. "Show me a man who claims he is objective and I'll show you a man with illusions."
Author: Henry R. Luce
16. "If I were a poet, that's what I'd write about. People who worked in the middle of the night. Men who loaded trains, emergency room nurses with their gentle hands. Night clerks in hotels, cabdrivers on graveyard, waitresses in all-night coffee shops. They knew the world, how precious it was when a person remembered your name, the comfort of a rhetorical question, "How's it going, how's the kids?" They knew how long the night was. They knew the sound life made as it left. It rattled, like a slamming screen door in the wind. Night workers lived without illusions, they wiped dreams off counters, they loaded freight. They headed back to the airport for one last fare."
Author: Janet Fitch
17. "Language, philosophy, and science are interwoven into the design of words, which are manipulated to create surprising illusions."
Author: John Langdon
18. "And we all nodded at him: the man of finance, the man of accounts, the man of law, we all nodded at him over the polished table that like a still sheet of brown water reflected our faces, lined, wrinkled; our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions."
Author: Joseph Conrad
19. "Action is consolatory. It is the enemy of thought and the friend of flattering illusions."
Author: Joseph Conrad
20. "No man engaged in a work he does not like can preserve many saving illusionsabout himself. The distaste, the absence of glamour, extend from the occupation to the personality. It is only when ourappointed activities seem by a lucky accident to obey the particular earnestness of our temperament that we can taste the comfort of complete self-deception."
Author: Joseph Conrad
21. "In 2008, I was the woman who thought she had the world by the tail: the "perfect life." In 2010, I was the woman without hope who thought she had no life left to live. Which woman am I today? Neither. Both were illusions."
Author: Julie Anne
22. "The illusions it had woven for me had taken place only in my head. The battle had been invisible to the naked eye, but the hard ones are."
Author: Karen Marie Moning
23. "The trouble is",sighted the Doctor, grasping her meaning intuitively, "that youth is given up to illusions. It seems to be a provision of Nature; a decoy to secure mothers for the race. And Nature takes no account of moral consequences, of arbitrary conditions which we create, and which we feel obliged to maintain at any cost."
Author: Kate Chopin
24. "Both the old and new physics were dealing with shadow-symbols, but the new physics was forced to be aware of that fact - forced to be aware that it was dealing with shadows and illusions, not reality."
Author: Ken Wilber
25. "During my three years in Vietnam, I certainly heard plenty of last words by dying American footsoldiers. Not one of them, however, had illusions that he had somehow accomplished something worthwhile in the process of making the Supreme Sacrifice."
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
26. "We owe more to our illusions than to our knowledge"
Author: Lafcadio Hearn
27. "People enjoy the passion of delusions. However, the world is built on a basis that if you free yourself, you find yourself within another illusion. There is always a truth hidden within a truth. It is no different from illusions and deceptions of reality. The question then becomes -- how does one become truly free?"
Author: Lionel Suggs
28. "Everyone lives bound by their own knowledge and awareness. They define that as reality; but knowledge and awareness are vage, and perhaps better called illusions."
Author: Masashi Kishimoto
29. "It was a time of beautiful brutal illusions."
Author: Mick Karabegovic
30. "Credit is where credit is due and to honner the trixture whose illusions finally become true"
Author: Neal Shusterman
31. "We lost the war and it is not a surprise because we entered it with everything Eastern of the illusions of speeches. We invoke Antar and yet cannot slay a fly, because we entered it with the logic of the reed and the flute."
Author: Nizar Qabbani
32. "Perhaps someday you can have one city as easy to see as Illusions and as hard to forget as Reality."
Author: Norton Juster
33. "She was usually in love with somebody, and, as her passion was never returned, she had kept all her illusions."
Author: Oscar Wilde
34. "With me, illusions are bound to be shattered. I am here to shatter all illusions. Yes, it will irritate you, it will annoy you - that's my way of functioning and working. I will sabotage you from your very roots! Unless you are totally destroyed as a mind, there is no hope for you."
35. "I must be more sensible and realize that at my age, illusions are hardly permitted and they will always destroy me."
Author: Paul Cezanne
36. "Drizzt Do'Urden had followed a line of precepts based upon discipline and ultimate optimism. He fought for a better world because he believed that a better world could and would be made. He had never held any illusions that he would change the world, of course, or even a substantial portion of it, but he always held strongly that fighting to better just his own little pocket of the world was a worthwhile cause."
Author: R.A. Salvatore
37. "One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive hour. Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. No man has learned anything rightly, until he knows that every day is Doomsday."
Author: Ralph Waldo Emerson
38. "But I cannot forget that, at other times I have been deceived in sleep by similar illusions; and, attentively considering those cases, I perceive so clearly that there exist no certain marks by which the state of waking can ever be distinguished from sleep, that I feel greatly astonished; and in amazement I almost persuade myself that I am now dreaming."
Author: René Descartes
39. "- "What is reality?"- "One of the many possible illusions."
Author: Robert Sheckley
40. "I don't have any illusions anymore. The illusion that rock 'n' roll could change anything - I don't believe that. I've changed."
Author: Roger Daltrey
41. "Upset The Established Order Of Your Life And Everything Becomes Chaos...To A Degree That You Wont Be Able To Differentiate Between Mere Illusions And Solid Reality"
Author: Sherif A. El Mawardy
42. "All our religion is but a false religion, and all our virtues are mere illusions and we ourselves are only hypocrites in the sight of God, if we have not that universal charity for everyone--for the good, and for the bad, for the poor and for the rich, and for all those who do us harm as much as those who do us good."
Author: St. John Vianney
43. "Reuben nails my fantasies everytime, with iron rods of reality. He asserts that I am going to die, but probably not for a while, and that maybe I should try getting married and having a life first. He is 70 and knows things, which is why I go to him. But it's sad to leave my romantic illusions at the door of this passage. Although false and destructive and useless, they've been tremendous company."
Author: Suzanne Finnamore
44. "Each of us, I suppose needs his illusions. Life after death. A maker of planets. A woman to love, a man to hate. Something sacred. But what a waste."
Author: Tim O'Brien
45. "You must not look in that mirror at your doughy legs and flat feet, for today is about dreams and illusions, and unfiltered natural daylight is the enemy of dreams."
Author: Tina Fey
46. "Now you see. We are all fugitives. We have always been fugitives from the void. Whatever comfort, whatever power we gain from outside of ourselves diminishes us -- because comfort and power, unless they are won from the void inside of us, are illusions that make us forget the emptyness that carries us. When we forget that, we believe we deserve comfort and power and so are capable of any evil. We deserve nothing but what we make of ourselves. We deserve nothing else. And when we understand that, then nothing is enough."
Author: Tirumalai S. Srivatsan
47. "And when I fall in love," I began, "I will build a mountain to touch the sky. Then, my lover and I will have the best of both worlds, reality firmly under our feet, while we have our heads in the clouds with all our illusions still intact. And the purple grass will grow all around, high enough to reach our eyes."
Author: V.C. Andrews
48. "Perhaps lovers aren't supposed to look down at the ground. That kind of story is told in symbols--and earth represents reality, and reality represents frustrations, chance illnesses, death, murder, and all kinds of other tragedies. Lovers are meant to look up at the sky, for up there no beautiful illusions can be trampled upon."
Author: V.C. Andrews
49. "The soul does not give itself up to despair until it has exhausted all illusions."
Author: Victor Hugo
50. "I have the nerve to walk my own way, however hard, in my search for reality, rather than climb upon the rattling wagon of wishful illusions."
Author: Zora Neale Hurston
Quotes About Illusions Pictures