Famous Quotes About Iraqis
Browse 51 famous quotes and sayings about Iraqis.
Top Quotes About Iraqis
1. "All Iraqis can unite to defeat terrorism and can unite to rebuild the country."
Author: Ahmed Chalabi
2. "Are Iraqis ready to carry the responsibility for their country? Is Iraq ready to be its own master? We want to be the masters of ourselves and to carry our responsibilities in this region."
Author: Ahmed Chalabi
3. "Just two weeks ago, millions of Iraqis defied the threats of terrorists and went to the polls to determine their own future. I congratulate the Iraqi people for the courage they've shown in making these elections so successful."
Author: Bill Frist
4. "The Iraqis need help establishing a government. We have to provide them with security."
Author: Brent Scowcroft
5. "Most people, when directly confronted by evidence that they are wrong, do not change their point of view or course of action but justify it even more tenaciously. Even irrefutable evidence is rarely enough to pierce the mental armor of self-justification. When we began working on this book, the poster boy for "tenacious clinging to a discredited belief" was George W. Bush. Bush was wrong in his claim that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, he was wrong in claiming that Saddam was linked with Al Qaeda, he was wrong in predicting that Iraqis would be dancing joyfully in the streets to receive the American soldiers, he was wrong in predicting that the conflict would be over quickly, he was wrong in his gross underestimate of the financial cost of the war, and he was most famously wrong in his photo-op speech six weeks after the invasion began, when he announced (under a banner reading MISSION ACCOMPLISHED) that "major combat operations in Iraq have ended."
Author: Carol Tavris
6. "The violent subjugation of the Palestinians, Iraqis, and Afghans will only ensure that those who oppose us will increasingly speak to us in the language we speak to them—violence."
Author: Chris Hedges
7. "Despite the negativity coming from the President's opponents, the United States remains fully committed to assisting the Iraqis in restoring security and rebuilding their nation."
Author: Craig L. Thomas
8. "American POWs from the last Iraq war, who were held prisoner and tortured by Iraq, are now being prevented by our government from suing the Iraqis who tortured them."
Author: Dana Rohrabacher
9. "I've seen looting around the world and thought I knew the best looters in the world. The Iraqis excel at that."
Author: David Kay
10. "The most basic barrier was language itself, very few Americans in Iraq whether soldiers or diplomats or news paper reporters could speak more than a few words of Arabic. A remarkable number of them didn't even have translators. That meant for many Iraqis the typical 19 year old army corporal from South Dakota was not a youthful innocent carrying Americas good will, he was a terrifying combination of firepower and ignorance."
Author: Dexter Filkins
11. "If all goes well, the Iraqis are going to have a country that's going to have a representative government and will be at peace with its neighbors and in the region."
Author: Douglas Feith
12. "The Ambassador and the General were briefing me on the....the vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world. And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."
Author: George W. Bush
13. "It could safely be said that Iraqis are dying at a faster clip since the American-led invasion and occupation than they did during the last decade of Saddam Hussein's rule."
Author: Graydon Carter
14. "I can imagine that the Iraqis undertake the destruction out of fear. If they had denied it, if they had said no, that certainly would have played into the hands of those that would like to take armed action immediately. I have no illusions in that regard."
Author: Hans Blix
15. "The Iraqis are not threatened by the Turks or by the Iranians or by the Saudis and they tell me that these are not weapons of mass destruction, they are weapons of self-destruction."
Author: Hans Blix
16. "I am told that the majority of Iraqis wanted Saddam removed from power, but they were unwilling and were incapable of doing the job themselves because they feared Saddam and knew the pain and torture he was capable of inflicting upon them."
Author: Howard Coble
17. "If we are lucky, and George W. Bush is right, we are about to witness the War of the Happy Iraqis."
Author: Howard Fineman
18. "Iraqis have held elections and have recently put together their government, all encouraging developments."
Author: James A. Leach
19. "Shortly after we arrived in Baghdad, we had another conversation with the ambassador. He said that he wanted us to give him the timeline, because we had 90 days to get these prisons operational and transfer responsibility back to the Iraqis."
Author: Janis Karpinski
20. "Allowing the U.N. into Iraq will demonstrate to the Iraqis that the international community as a whole is committed to bringing stability and safety to their country."
Author: Jay Rockefeller
21. "Fallujah was a Guernica with no Picasso. A city of 300,000 was deprived of water, electricity, and food, emptied of most of its inhabitants who ended up parked in camps. Then came the methodical bombing and recapture of the city block by block. When soldiers occupied the hospital, The New York Times managed to justify this act on grounds that the hospital served as an enemy propaganda center by exaggerating the number of casualties. And by the way, just how many casualties were there? Nobody knows, there is no body count for Iraqis. When estimates are published, even by reputable scientific reviews, they are denounced as exaggerated. Finally, the inhabitants were allowed to return to their devastated city, by way of military checkpoints, and start to sift through the rubble, under the watchful eye of soldiers and biometric controls."
Author: Jean Bricmont
22. "From watching the news one would think the Iraqis want us out of their country. But an overwhelming majority of Iraqis support our involvement there. Our freedom is contagious and we helped liberate them."
Author: Jim Bunning
23. "On Jan. 30, millions of Iraqis will cast ballots in the country's first fair and free election in decades, marking continued progress in Iraq's transition toward a country built on the pillars of democracy and freedom for all."
Author: Jim Gerlach
24. "According to recent opinion polls, a large majority of Iraqis believe that the U.S. military has no intention to leave Iraq, and that it would stay even is asked by the Iraqi government to leave."
Author: John Conyers
25. "If we want to build the Iraqis' confidence about our intentions in their country, if we want to stop adding fuel to the fire of insurgency and terrorism, we must clarify our intent."
Author: John Conyers
26. "The act of voting by ordinary Iraqis in the face of extreme danger confirms President Bush's belief that people around the globe, when given a chance, will choose liberty and democracy over enslavement and tyranny."
Author: John Ensign
27. "The men and women of our armed forces played an instrumental role in the election process - securing polling sites and providing security - that allowed so many Iraqis the opportunity to vote freely for the first time ever."
Author: John M. McHugh
28. "We need to make it clear that we will withdraw from Iraq within 6 to 9 months - so that the Iraqis will know that they must stand up and defend the opportunity given to them."
Author: John Olver
29. "I argued that the Bush administration, and the Coalition officials more recently, didn't understand Iraqi society. They thought it was a blank slate, that they could use Iraqis as guinea pigs."
Author: Juan Cole
30. "There's been an increase in the number of Iraqis in training, but more Americans are dying and violence is increasing."
Author: Lawrence Korb
31. "Sure, they say, we may not live in a condition of perfect Goodness. But we're lucky that we don't live in a condition of Evil. Our democracy is not perfect. But it's better than the bloody dictatorships. Capitalism is unjust. But it's not criminal like Stalinism. We let millions of Africans die of AIDS, but we don't make racist nationalist declarations like Milosevic. We kill Iraqis with our airplanes, but we don't cut their throats with machetes like they do in Rwanda, etc."
Author: Mark Fisher
32. "Our own State Department polls say that 80 percent of Iraqis view the United States as an unpopular occupier."
Author: Marty Meehan
33. "Well, Mr. Speaker, if so many of these Iraqis are ready to come up and to provide the security, the police work in the country, then surely there should be no problem with putting American forces into the background instead of having them up front."
Author: Marty Meehan
34. "The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not 'insurgents' or 'terrorists' or 'The Enemy.' They are the revolution, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow - and they will win."
Author: Michael Moore
35. "God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis."
Author: Mohammed Saeed Al Sahaf
36. "All Iraqis should live under one roof and for one goal."
Author: Muqtada Al Sadr
37. "In addition to a timeline, I have proposed that U.S. troops be removed from front line combat positions in Iraqi cities and towns, turning over daily security patrols, interactions with citizens, and any offensive security actions to the Iraqis themselves."
Author: Peter DeFazio
38. "It's very unlikely that we're going to send more troops to Iraq. We are going to have to train the Iraqis faster and harder."
Author: Richard Lugar
39. "I think the Bush Administration had basically inherited a policy toward Iraq from the Reagan/Bush Administration that saw Iraq as a kind of fire wall against Iranian fundamentalism. And as it developed over the 1980s, it became a real political run-a-muck... even though the Iraqis were known to be harboring Palestinian terrorists."
Author: Rick Atkinson
40. "I am so sick of reading about another car bomb, another suicide bomber, another 10, 20, 30, 70, 100 people dead in a day, both Americans and Iraqis."
Author: Rosanne Cash
41. "We are ready to sacrifice our souls, our children and our families so as not to give up Iraq. We say this so no one will think that America is capable of breaking the will of the Iraqis with its weapons."
Author: Saddam Hussein
42. "We should not mislead the Iraqis into thinking they have unlimited time to reach a settlement. The longer they think that, the less likely they will be to act."
Author: Sherrod Brown
43. "We were told this war would be over in a matter of weeks, and that the Iraqis would be able to finance it with oil sales. We were promised it was not a mission of nation building."
Author: Sherrod Brown
44. "As we continue to fight the war on terror, we express our gratitude to our troops whose valor over the last three years provided freedom to the Iraqis, while protecting our liberty here at home."
Author: Tim Murphy
45. "We have exhausted all of our diplomatic effort to get the Iraqis to comply with their own agreements and with international law. Given that... we have got to force them to comply, and we are doing so militarily."
Author: Tom Daschle
46. "The fact is, beneath the hype, Iraqis will soon appreciate American help and idealism far more than French perfidy. It is never wrong to be on the side of freedom - never."
Author: Victor Davis Hanson
47. "You can tell when Iraqis are getting upset because, like Italians we start talking with our hands."
Author: Wafaa Bilal
48. "Almost all Iraqis with any previous experience in the intelligence business are Sunni Arab, increasing the risk of penetration of the new intelligence apparatus by the insurgency."
Author: Wayne White
49. "We've killed a million Iraqis since the start of the Gulf war - mostly by blocking humanitarian aid."
Author: Woody Harrelson
50. "The U.S. and Iraq will work together next year to shift Iraqi resources from unproductive subsidies to productive uses that enable Iraqis to earn livelihoods."
Author: Zalmay Khalilzad
Quotes About Iraqis Pictures