Famous Quotes About Jona
Browse 267 famous quotes and sayings about Jona.
Top Quotes About Jona
1. "You might ask if I loved Jonathan for his beauty, and I would answer: that is a pointless question, for his great, uncommon beauty was an irreducible part of the whole. It gave him his quiet confidence--and his easy, disarming way with the fairer sex. And if his beauty drew my eye from the first, I'll not apologize for it, nor will I apologize for my desire to claim Jonathan for my own. To behold such beauty is to wish to possess it; it's desire that drives every collector. And I was hardly alone. Nearly every person who came to know Jonathan tried to possess him. This was his curse, and the curse of every person who loved him. But it was like being in love with the sun: brilliant and intoxicating to be near, but impossible to keep to oneself. It was hopeless to love him and yet it was hopeless not to."
Author: Alma Katsu
2. "Men jag kan inte döda någon', sa Jonatan, 'det vet du, Orvar!' […] 'Om alla vore som du', sa Orvar, 'då skulle ju ondskan få regera i all evinnerlighet!' Men då sa jag att om alla vore som Jonatan, så skulle det inte finnas någon ondska."
Author: Astrid Lindgren
3. "Distance and difference are the secret tonic of creativity. When we get home, home is still the same. But something in our mind has been changed, and that changes everything." —Jonah Lehrer"
Author: Austin Kleon
4. "The Inquisitor stared at him as if he were a talking cockroach. "Do you know about the cuckoo bird, Jonathan Morgenstern?"Jace wondered if perhaps being the Inquisitor—it couldn't be a pleasant job—had left Imogen Herondale a little unhinged."The cuckoo bird," she said. "You see, cuckoos are parasites. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests. When the egg hatches, the baby cuckoo pushes the other baby birds out of the nest. The poor parent birds work themselves to death trying to find enough food to feed the enormous cuckoo child who has murdered their babies and taken their places.""Enormous?" said Jace. "Did you just call me fat?""It was an analogy.""I am not fat."
Author: Cassandra Clare
5. "Simon to die. Jace to live. Jonathon to retune. And you Valentine's daughter, to be the catalist of it all."
Author: Cassandra Clare
6. "I saw Jonathan after he faced the fear demon, you know. It showed itself to him as you. That told me all I needed to know. The greatest fear in Jonathan's life is the love he feels for his sister."
Author: Cassandra Clare
7. "The Great and Tragic Love of Jonathan Shadowhunter and David the Silent, by Clary Fray, Aged 17.SIMON IT WAS BY SIMON NOT ME(...) Jonathan Shadowhunter: Oh, David, I would trust you with my life!David: Oh, Jonathan, I would sacrifice my own life for your holy mission! (He almost does)Jonathan: (weeping) David, you must return to me! I need you! I cannot do this thing without you!David: Lo, I return!Jonathan: Zounds! I feel a great stirring in my pantaloons!David: What doth thy pantaloSIMON I WILL KILL YOU"
Author: Cassandra Clare
8. "De alguna manera, a pesar de que era un poco amargada y enojona, todas estas personas habían decidido que era digna de su amor. Cualquiera de ellos estaba dispuesto a mirar más allá de todo, o quizás no estaba tan jodida como pensaba que estaba.O quizás era un poco de ambos."
Author: Chelsea M. Cameron
9. "I'm working from the assumption it's going to go horribly wrong. If we get out of here with limbs intact and no aspen slivers in uncomfortable places, we're calling it a win."Merit/Jonah"
Author: Chloe Neill
10. "Once I had asked, ‘But are you a Democrat or a Republican?" and Jonathan said, "I'm socially progressive but fiscally conservative," and Doug Miles, a football player who also came to Sunday breakfast but only ever read the sports section and ignored everyone, lifted his head and said, "Is that like being bisexual?" Which I actually thought was funny, even though I was pretty sure Doug was a jerk."
Author: Curtis Sittenfeld
11. "Do you like a good ghost story?"-Jonah"
Author: Dana Michelle Burnett
12. "As Jonathan Edwards observed a long time ago, we act on our strongest motive. If our strongest motive, our deepest desire, is to know God, it will generate the discipline that we need to pursue this, because we will want to know God more than anything else. If this is not our strongest motive, we will find ourselves with multiple, alternative, and competing foci. These will inevitably distract us."
Author: David F. Wells
13. "Ever since her obsession with Jonathan Cain, a deranged transfer student who had been at Sweet Valley for a month, Enid's life had been entirely guyless."
Author: Francine Pascal
14. "The key to the city of Florence was about two feet long, and painted a garish gold.Hamilton was fascinated by it. "Wow! How big is the lock?"Jonah laughed. "There is no lock, cuz. It's an honorary gig. Back in my crib in LA, I've got a whole shed full of keys from different cities. Want to know the kicker? I can't get at them. The gardener lost the key to the shed."
Author: Gordon Korman
15. "This was the beginning. The end is easily foreseen; for, given a young man of Dick's temperament, longingfor companionship, and another young man of Charlie's make-up, with a legitimate business to bring the twotogether, and only a friendship of the David and Jonathan order could result."
Author: Harold Bell Wright
16. "...in those jaws of swift destruction, like another Jonah (by which name they indeed called him), bustles a little withered old man, who, for their money, dearly sells the sailors deliriums and death. Abominable are the tumblers into which he pours his poison."
Author: Herman Melville
17. "Realmente estaba sorprendida por la manera de actuar de Jonathan, al menos había insistido en verme y disculparse por algo tal vez insignificante ahora que lo pensaba. Su caballerosidad me sorprendió realmente, prácticamente no me había tocado y aún así aquí estaba, literalmente de rodillas pidiéndome perdón, al menos buscó la manera de arreglar las cosas. Estaba admirándolo, era un digno caballero inglés algo que no puedo pensar del príncipe y que no pudo ser. No pudo darme de una vez la cara y disculparse, pero no podía esperar eso de él, su orgullo no se lo permitiría o tal vez su cobardía."
Author: Itxa Bustillo
18. "When the Lilliputians first saw Gulliver's watch, that "wonderful kind of engine...a globe, half silver and half of some transparent metal," they identified it immediately as the god he worshiped. After all, "he seldom did anything without consulting it: he called it his oracle, and said it pointed out the time for every action in his life." To Jonathan Swift in 1726 that was worth a bit of satire. Modernity was under way. We're all Gullivers now. Or are we Yahoos?"
Author: James Gleick
19. "Keep the change, Gin," McCallister said in a smarmy, mocking voice. "Consider it an early Christmas present.""Aw," I drawled. "A whopping thirteen cents. You're too kind, Jonah. Why, you'd put Ebezener Scrooge to shame with your bighearted generosity."
Author: Jennifer Estep
20. "That evening, as he got ready for bed, he heard his mother and father talking in their bedroom, and that was how he learned that Billy had been naked when he was discovered and that the police had arrested a man who lived with his mother in a clean little house not far from where the body was found. David knew from the way they were talking that something very bad had happened to Billy before he died, something to do with the man from the clean little house....Now, in another bedroom, he thought of Jonathan Tulvey and Anna, and wondered if a man from a clean little house, a man who lived with his mother and kept sweets in his pockets, had made them go down with him to the railroad tracks.And there, in the darkness, he had played with them, in his way."
Author: John Connolly
21. "I went to the lobby and asked Stan what he knew about the person who lived in 6A. He said 'Never seen anyone go in or come out. Just a lot of deliveries and a lot of trash.''Cool'. He leaned down and whispered 'Haunted'.I whispered back 'I don't believe in the paranormal'.He said 'Ghosts don't care if you believe in them'.I walked back up the steps, this time past our floor and to the sixth. There was a mat in front of the door which said 'welcome' in twelve different languages. That didn't seem like something a ghost would put in front of his apartment."? Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"
Author: Jonathan Safran Foer
22. "The sunset was spectacular, and they were safe in the minibus with the students from Estonia who were on their way to Salzburg for the Sound of Music tour. Jonah sat up front with girls and led a sing-along.Who would have guessed that the hip-hop star knew all the words to "Climb Ev'ry Mountain"?"
Author: Jude Watson
23. "Hamilton awkwardly folded himself into the passenger seat. "Couldn't you get something bigger?" he asked as he banged his knee against the dashboard."We're supposed to be a diversion," Jonah said. "Got to make an entrance. Can't do that in a minivan, Giganto Boy. Can't do much in a minivan except look about as uncool as it gets.""Hey! My dad drives a minivan.""Snap."
Author: Jude Watson
24. "I look into his eyes and jump… off of a high dive plunging deep into the pools of green staring back at me. No matter how hard I fought it, no matter how unreasonable or out of control it feels and no matter how much I try to reason it away the truth in this moment… is that Jonathan Hayes owns me heart and soul."
Author: Kathryn Perez
25. "There was a long moment of silence. Philip was holding his breath. When Remigius looked up again, his face was wet with tears. "Yes , please, Father," he said. "I want to come home." Philip felt a glow of joy. "Come on, then," he said. "Get on my horse."Remigius looked flabbergasted.Jonathan said: "Father! What are you doing?"Philip said to Remigius: "Go on, do as I say."Jonathan was horified, "but Ftaher, how will you travel?""I'll walk," Philip said happily. "One of us must.""Let Remigius walk!" Jonathan said in a tone of outrage."Let him ride," Philip said, "He's pleased God today.""What about you? Haven't you pleased God more than Remigius?""Jesus said there's more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people," Philip countered. "Don't you remember the parable of the prodigal son? When he came home, his father killed the fatted calf. The angels are rejoicing over Remigius's tears. The least I can do is give him my horse."
Author: Ken Follett
26. "You grew up on a farm but you became a woman that doesn't belong here and right now, it fuckin' kills me to admit it, I gotta focus on Jonas and I can't afford to get you the goddamned binds you want....You think I don't lose sleep wonderin' what you gave up and wonderin' when you'll want it back and knowin' I can't give it to you?"
Author: Kristen Ashley
27. "Well...," Jonas had to stop and think it through. "If everything's the same, then there are no choices! I want to wake up in the morning and DECIDE things! A blue tunic, or a red one?"
Author: Lois Lowry
28. "They both walked to the center of the room. Jonas put his tunic back on. 'Goodbye, sir,' he said. 'Thank you for my first day.' The old man nodded to him. He looked drained, and a little sad. 'Sir?' Jonas said shyly. 'Yes? Do you have a question?' 'It's just that I don't know your name. I thought you were The Receiver, but you say that now I'm The Receiver. So I don't know what to call you.' The man had sat back down in the comfortable upholstered chair. He moved his shoulders around as if to ease away an aching sensation. He seemed terribly weary. 'Call me The Giver,' he told Jonas."
Author: Lois Lowry
29. "Meltdown when we get home. Mom keeps chocolate for meltdowns. Daddy always has them when Uncle Jonas visits."-David Lyons from Tanner's Scheme-"
Author: Lora Leigh
30. "If Jonah had gone to Yale,Instead of the gut of a whale,He'd have a diploma,A better aroma,And a nice little condo in Vail."
Author: M.J. McGuire
31. "You know how to steer a yacht?" Mr. McIntyre asked Ian worriedly."I was born knowing how to steer a yacht," Ian said. Then a stricken look came over his face. "But–do you suppose Jonah prepaid the full amount for renting this? Once my dad hears what Natalie and I did, he'll cancel our credit cards.""You mean we're...we're poor now?" Natalie gasped."Penniless," Ian said grimly."Actually," Mr. McIntyre said, "I should have mentioned this before the others left. Grace had an addendum to her will regarding everyone who made it through the gauntlet. There were eight of you–you will all receive double the amount you turned down to get the first clue.""It was a million dollars originally," Ian said. "So Natalie and I each get two million dollars? I suppose we could live on that."Natalie beamed."That is such a relief!" she said. "Being poor wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but still–""You were only poor for about two seconds!" Dan protested, rolling his eyes."
Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
32. "Since the accident, Jonathan had noticed, she held on to things, a doorframe, a chair, as it either she or the world needed steadying."
Author: Margot Livesey
33. "[Jonah Griggs] is similar to a hawke and a wolf and Will Trombal – he mates for life."
Author: Melina Marchetta
34. "Girls under the age of fourteen are the most frightening creatures I have ever come across. - Jonah Griggs"
Author: Melina Marchetta
35. "There is a payoff for examining the divine author's literary style. It will tell you something about Him. Whereas, Jonah's actions are extensively described and laboriously detailed, God's reactions (although miraculous) are only described in sparse, minimalist terms.God seems much more amused by Jonah than Jonah is with God. Every miracle is directed at Jonah. Yet, very little copy is used to described God's miracles. Although God's miracles are much more astonishing than Jonah's immature fits of rebellion, more copy is dedicated to Jonah."
Author: Michael Ben Zehabe
36. "How often had she wondered what would have happened if she'd remained with Jonathan? Not often, but regularly over the years. It was impossible not to have imagined that rejected future, a life of many countries, of vast and enduring adventure, of tiny rooms and rental houses. It was the sense of missed opportunity that returned to her, frightening but real, overwhelmingly real."
Author: Michael Stein
37. "After all, the bible was always talking about miracles. i figured that if Daniel could get out of the lion's den alive and Jonah could come up unharmed from the belly of a whale, then surely ole T.j. could get out of going to prison."
Author: Mildred D. Taylor
38. "People think, Hey, I love kids, I want to write children's books. But they think children are happy. That's their first mistake. [Messinger, Jonathan. "Guilt for dinner: The Mo Willems interview." Hipsqueak. 5 May 2011. Web. 18 November 2011.]"
Author: Mo Willems
39. "I'll never forget Jonah's face. A light poured out of him and became the spirit of the room, like a genie released from a bottle after centuries of darkness."
Author: Natalie Standiford
40. "I enjoyed Jonathan Franzen's 'Freedom.' Would I make that into a film? I think it's better suited to television. That would very much be a dialogue and performance piece, and it would take some very skilful direction - but not my kind of directing. But I thought it was a real literary work."
Author: Peter Weir
41. "Just humor me for a few more minutes at least... You are hands-down, the most gorgeous woman here tonight. Or probably anywhere, for that matter. When you leave, at least I'll be able to say I got a whole dance with you." - Jonathan di Luca"
Author: R. Matthews
42. "Think of you today how am i and where you belong need to understand meant to do. "Who cares your like might be exemption for me my worked well done. — Jonathan Guarinopower,love,heaven,inspirationalSee translation...?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - ????????????????????????????"
Author: Raven Josh
43. "Jonah was cute and all before I left, but in Paris he became a God. It was a rather simple equation: loneliness + silly crush - reality check = full-blown obsession. "
Author: Rebecca Bloom
44. "And then, being Rose Hathaway, I said something I really shouldn't have to the boy. "You should go punch him and find out."Jonathan's mother screamed again, but he was a fast little bastard, eluding her grasp. He ran up to Dimitri before anyone could stop him - well, I could have - and pounded his tiny fist against Dimitri's knee.Then, with the same reflexes that allowed him to dodge enemy attacks, Dimitri immediately feinted falling backward, as though Jonathan had knocked him over. Clutching his knee, Dimitri groaned as though he were in terrible pain."
Author: Richelle Mead
45. "At Camp Don Bosco, there were Bibles all over the place, mostly 1970s hippie versions like Good News for Modern Man. They had groovy titles like The Word or The Way, and translated the Bible into "contemporary English," which meant Saul yelling at Jonathan, "You son of a bitch!" (I Samuel 20:30). Awesome! The King James version gave this verse as "Thou son of the perverse rebellious woman," which was bogus in comparison. Maybe these translations went a bit far. I recall one of the Bibles translating the inscription over the cross, "INRI" (Iesus Nazaremus Rex Iudaeorum), as "SSDD" (Same Shit Different Day), and another describing the Last Supper — the night before Jesus' death, a death he freely accepted — where Jesus breaks the bread, gives it to his disciples, and says, "It's better to burn out than fade away," but these memories could be deceptive."
Author: Rob Sheffield
46. "Though it's true that (dictionary-maker Samuel) Johnson sometimes seem to feel that the language was in decline, he didn't rail against it with (Jonathan) Swift's anger. Instead, he hoped the example of his dictionary would temper that change by providing a distinguished literary example"
Author: Robert Lane Greene
47. "Tadas was sent to the principal today," announced Jonas at dinner. He wedged a huge piece of sausage into his small mouth."Why?" I asked."Because he talked about hell," sputtered Jonas, juice from the plump sausage dribbling down his chin."Jonas, don't speak with your mouth full. Take smaller pieces," scolded Mother."Sorry," said Jonas with his moth stuffed. "It's good." He finished chewing. I took a bite of sausage. It was warm and the skin was deliciously salty."Tadas told one of the girls that hell is the worst place ever and there's no escape for all eternity.""Now why would Tadas be talking of hell?" asked Papa, reaching for the vegetables."Because his father told him that if Stalin comes to Lithuania, we'll all end up there."
Author: Ruta Sepetys
48. "You need to cool it some, geek." said Motti. "Why not go to the fridge, open the door, and stand there for a minute? Then grab a beer from inside and bring it to me." Jonah smiled despite himself. "Good of you to think of my welfare like that."
Author: Stephen Cole
49. "A large section of the idling classes of England get their incomes by believing that Jesus was born of a virgin and that Jonah swallowed a whale; and with the progress of science they were naturally finding this more and more difficult. A school of ingenious Bible-twisters arose, to invent symbolical and literary meanings for fairy tales, in order that people who no longer believed could continue with good conscience to collect the salaries of belief."
Author: Upton Sinclair
50. "And the band—oh, sweet mercy—the band. They're like a cross between mini Justin Biebers and the Jonas Brothers, and the Halloween covers they're playing make my ears bleed."
Author: Victoria Scott
Quotes About Jona Pictures