Famous Quotes About Odds
Browse 385 famous quotes and sayings about Odds.
Top Quotes About Odds
1. "People stuck by others for years and years, in the face of all odds, and it should be relief, not disbelief, that one felt on witnessing it."
Author: Alexander McCall Smith
2. "Prayer is taking a chance that against all odds and past history, we are loved and chosen, and do not have to get it together before we show up."
Author: Anne Lamott
3. "Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you."
Author: Arnold Palmer
4. "It is harrowing for me to try to teach 20-year-old students, who earnestly want to improve their writing. The best I can think to tell them is: Quit smoking, and observe posted speed limits. This will improve your odds of getting old enough to be wise"
Author: Barbara Kingsolver
5. "Each alter personality had a common goal and raison d'etre, namely my survival. They didn't all realize that though, and so were at odds with each other much of the time. So I continued to be fragmented and divided."
Author: Carolyn Bramhall
6. "And these two elements are at odds with one another because Freud is utterly adversary to almost all the ways of structuring the human experience found in Western religions. No Western religion can countenance Freud's view of man."
Author: Chaim Potok
7. "If we do what is necessary, all the odds are in our favor."
Author: Charles Buxton
8. "Corrigan told me once that Christ was quite easy to understand. Hewent where He was supposed to go. He stayed where He was needed. Hetook little or nothing along, a pair of sandals, a bit of a shirt, a few odds and ends to stave off the loneliness. He never rejected the world. If He had rejected it, He would have been rejecting mystery. And if He rejected mystery, He would have been rejecting faith."
Author: Colum McCann
9. "If a man's at odds to know his own mind it's because he hasn't got aught but his mind to know it with."
Author: Cormac McCarthy
10. "The odds of surviving are not good for serfs, or clerics, since they tended the sick, but miraculously I survive. Mr. Erikson rewards me with a laminated badge that reads, I SURVIVED THE BLACK PLAGUE. Mom will be so proud."
Author: Cynthia Hand
11. "Picture me however you want to picture me. Because odds are that'll be more true than any of the bodies you see me in."
Author: David Levithan
12. "I could only lose her if, from this moment forward, I made wrong choices, or if she made them. But I would take those odds rather than the odds that luck offered."
Author: Dean Koontz
13. "The trick at every turn was to endure the test of living for as long as possible. The odds of survival were punishingly slim, for the world was naught by a school of calamity and an endless burning furnace of tribulation. But those who survived the world shaped it--even as the world, simultaneously, shaped them."
Author: Elizabeth Gilbert
14. "Both the biological and psychological approaches are suspect since both posit an unreal world, completely at odds with human experience, in which people do not get depressed for good reasons having to do with their experience in life and their uneasiness about the facts of existence. Rather, people only get depressed because something in them is flawed or broken. Depression of any magnitude, these approaches claim, is always an illness and never a reaction to being dropped, willy-nilly, into a world not of their making, which they are forced to make mean something."
Author: Eric Maisel
15. "Every time you go to the doctor and get a good report, the odds keep staking more in your favour."
Author: Fran Drescher
16. "I think the odds of her killing me with sex are good, but what a way to go. At least I'll die happy."
Author: Georgia Cates
17. "I knew they would find me. I'm glowing in the moonlight.My darkness was too bright to hide forever. They'll find all of us eventually. They play the odds and they're up a thousand to one."
Author: Jeyn Roberts
18. "The intrinsic and extrinsic heart is always at odds, so which heart is yours? For one will bask in true joy, while the other lives in self-loathing misery."
Author: Joel T. McGrath
19. "He looked up as the party emerged and nickered a soft hello to his master, who was dressed in an unfamiliar green cloak and had dirt plastered on his face. Halt glanced at him, brow furrowed, and silently mouthed the words 'shut up'. Abelardshook his mane, which was as close as a horse could come to shruging, and turned away.'My horse recognized me,' Halt said accusingly out of the side of his mouth to Horace.Horace glanced at the small shagging horse, standing beside his own massive battlehorse.'Mine didn't,' he replied. 'So that's a fifty-fifty result.''I think I'd like odds better than that,' Halt replied.Horace suppressed a grin. 'Don't worry. He can probably smell you.''I can smell myself,' Halt replied acerbically. 'I smell of tea and soot.'Horace thought it was wiser not to reply to that."
Author: John Flanagan
20. "Well, well," he said. "This can't be a coincidence.""It could," I said. "The odds aren't high, but they do exist.""Uh-huh."
Author: Josh Lanyon
21. "Ll K HamiltonSome days the lion eats you, but some times you shove your arm down it's throat and pull it's visera out through it's mouth and kill it. Of course, sometimes it bites your arm off, and then eats you, but you tried, that's what counts. Some days it's not about winning, but about fighting. If you don't try, the lion will most definetely eat you. But sometimes when you put your all into something, and don't give up even when the odds are so against you, you surprise the lion and yourself, and you win."
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
22. "Because she was seventeen, and still alive, against thousands of years' worth of odds.Because she knew enough to fear what the future would bring."
Author: Lauren Kate
23. "Those who support such survivors of abuse often find it difficult to hear the reality of those survivors' lives and experience and are often unsupported themselves. Rather than being supported, workers are often ridiculed, castigated or accused of being gullible or of giving the survivor false memories. Many workers work in isolation and a climate of hostility and are unable to talk about the work they do.Yes, despite all the odds, survivors of ritual abuse are beginning to speak out about their experiences, and some people, mainly in voluntary organisations, are beginning to listen to them and support them.[Published 2001]"
Author: Laurie Matthew
24. "To nourish children and raise them against odds is in any time, any place, is more valuable than to fix bolts in cars or design nuclear weapons."
Author: Marilyn French
25. "If you just do a Google search and type in 'smoking' or 'lung cancer', you will be barraged with never ending facts and numbers, like how one in every three Americans is affected by lung disease and how COPD is the third leading cause of death and if you get lung cancer the odds are 95% that you will die."
Author: Matthew Gray Gubler
26. "Two against thirty two," Niten said. "Good odds.""I've never fought the Spartoi before," Prometheus admitted. "I only know of them by their reputation—and it's fearsome.""We have an equal reputation," Niten said."Well, you do," the Elder said. "I was never that much of a fighter. And after the fall of the island, I rarely took up weapons again.""Fighting is a skill you never forget," Niten said, a touch of sadness in his voice. "I fought my first duel when I was thirteen. I've been fighting ever since.""But you are more than just a swordsman," Prometheus said. "You are an artist, a sculptor and a writer.""No man is ever just one thing," Niten answered. His shoulder dropped and his short sword appeared in his left hand, water droplets sparkling from the blade. "But first and foremost, I was always a warrior." He jabbed his sword into the fog and stirred it like liquid."
Author: Michael Scott
27. "Hope was based on the unknown, and I liked knowing things. Like that I was going to fail. Failure had better odds."
Author: Nami Mun
28. "There,' said Wednesday, 'is one who "does not have the faith and will not have the fun". Chesterton. Pagan indeed. So. Shall we go out onto the street, Easter my dear, and repeat the exercise? Find out how many passers-by know that their Easter festival takes its name from Eostre of the Dawn? Let's see - I have it. We shall ask a hundred people. For every one that knows the truth, you may cut off one of my fingers, and when I run out of them, toes; for every twenty who don't know you spend a night making love to me. And the odds are certainly in your favour here - this is San Francisco, after all. There are heathens and pagans and Wiccans aplenty on these precipitous streets."
Author: Neil Gaiman
29. "As I uttered these inspiring words the idea came like a flash of lightning and in an instant the truth was revealed. I drew with a stick on the sand the diagram shown six years later in my address before the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, and my companion understood them perfectly. The images I saw were wonderfully sharp and clear and had the solidity of metal and stone, so much so that I told him, "See my motor here; watch me reverse it." I cannot begin to describe my emotions. Pygmalion seeing his statue come to life could not have been more deeply moved. A thousand secrets of nature which I might have stumbled upon accidentally, I would have given for that one which I had wrested from her against all odds and at the peril of my existence ..."
Author: Nikola Tesla
30. "They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy."
Author: Norman Maclean
31. "We're the bridge across forever, arching above the sea, adventuring for our pleasure, living mysteries for the fun of it, choosing disasters triumphs challenges impossible odds, testing ourselves over and again, learning love and love and love!"
Author: Richard Bach
32. "In the Tarot deck, the Fool is depicted as a young man about to step off a cliff into empty air. Most people assume that the Fool will fall. But we don't see it happen, and a Fool doesn't know that he's subject to the laws of gravity. Against all odds, he just might float."
Author: Richard Kadrey
33. "A Half-Blood of the eldest gods, Shall reach sixteen against all odds And see the world in endless sleepThe Hero's soul, cursed blade shall reapA single choice shall end his daysOlympus to preserve or raze."
Author: Rick Riordan
34. "A word of advice, Will Henry. When a person of the female gender says she wants to show you something, run the other way. The odds are it is not something you wish to see."
Author: Rick Yancey
35. "Celebrity seems totally at odds with authentic community and honest, real sorts of relationships."
Author: Rob Bell
36. "Leaders are visionaries with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept of the odds against them."
Author: Robert Jarvik
37. "The odds are good, but the goods are odd"
Author: Robert Masello
38. "The one struggling against the odds and getting defeated is a Loser. And this Loser with persistent determination turns a Winner one day...."
Author: Saurabh Dudeja
39. "May the odds be ever in your favour"
Author: Suzanne Collins
40. "I've never been at odds with the world of contemporary artists. If there is any animosity, it's one-sided."
Author: Thomas Kinkade
41. "As actors, if you get a pilot on HBO or on USA, your odds are good that it's going to get picked up."
Author: Tim DeKay
42. "Life is a gamble, at terrible odds - if it was a bet you wouldn't take it."
Author: Tom Stoppard
43. "Service members will only stay on active duty if they can provide for their families—and DOD schools provide a world-class education that has proven time and again to be an incentive for sailors, soldiers, airmen and marines to reenlist. Military dependents that attend DoDDS schools are highly regarded by prestigious universities the world over for a number of reasons, but there's one that you'd have a hard time replicating in a stateside school system: they've lived overseas, traveled the world, seen and experienced other cultures, learned foreign languages through immersion, and they've gained an understanding of the world that you can't get in a traditional classroom. Add a rigorous curriculum and a long track record of high test scores throughout DoDDS, and it's pretty easy to see why military kids are in such high demand."
Author: Tucker Elliot
44. "Anger is energy waiting to be transformed. You can never imagine how quickly you grow beating all odds when you know how to use it right"
Author: Uma Maheswari Anandane
45. "Such she often felt herself--struggling against terrific odds to maintain her courage; to say: "But this is what I see; this is what I see," and so to clasp some miserable remnant of her vision to her breast, which a thousand forces did their best to pluck from her."
Author: Virginia Woolf
46. "She read, and so reading she was ascending, she felt, on to the top, on to the summit. How satisfying! How restful! All the odds and ends of the day stuck to this magnet; her mind felt swept, felt clean. And then there it was, suddenly entire; she held it in her hands, beautiful and reasonable, clear and complete, here—the sonnet"
Author: Virginia Woolf
47. "What sort of diary should I like mine to be? Something loose-knit and yet not slovenly, so elastic that it will embrace anything, solemn, slight or beautiful, that comes into my mind. I should like it to resemble some deep old desk or capacious hold-all, in which one flings a mass of odds and ends without looking them through. I should like to come back, after a year or two, and find that the collection had sorted itself and refined itself and coalesced, as such deposits so mysteriously do, into a mould, transparent enough to reflect the light of our life, and yet steady, tranquil compounds with the aloofness of a work of art. The main requisite, I think, on reading my old volumes, is not to play the part of a censor, but to write as the mood comes or of anything whatever; since I was curious to find how I went for things put in haphazard, and found the significance to lie where I never saw it at the time."
Author: Virginia Woolf
48. "Sure, I always chose rebels to identify with - I still do - but to me a rebel isn't so much someone who breaks the law as someone who goes against the odds."
Author: William Petersen
49. "Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Author: Winston Churchill
50. "If there's a proven track record, the odds are higher that success can be repeated. This is what we investors always hope for."
Author: Ziad K. Abdelnour
Quotes About Odds Pictures