Famous Quotes About Oedipus The King
Browse 27 famous quotes and sayings about Oedipus The King.
Top Quotes About Oedipus The King
1. "Capricious and unfaithful, the king wished to be called Louis the Just and Louis the Chaste. Posterity will find a difficulty in understanding this character, which history explains only by facts and never by reason."
Author: Alexandre Dumas
2. "The movie is actually from a book by Stephen King called The Body. When they were gonna put it to a motion picture, they found the story was a bit too strong for the title The Body, based on a young kid's movie. It would be too heavy."
Author: Ben E. King
3. "I never needed much, and I never thought I'd get more than what I had. A trip to Burger King was the biggest thing in the world to me. Heaven."
Author: Dave Grohl
4. "What the King dreams, the Hand builds."
Author: George R.R. Martin
5. "Compare King William with the philosopher Haeckel. The king is one of the anointed by the most high, as they claim—one upon whose head has been poured the divine petroleum of authority. Compare this king with Haeckel, who towers an intellectual colossus above the crowned mediocrity. Compare George Eliot with Queen Victoria. The Queen is clothed in garments given her by blind fortune and unreasoning chance, while George Eliot wears robes of glory woven in the loom of her own genius.The world is beginning to pay homage to intellect, to genius, to heart.We have advanced. We have reaped the benefit of every sublime and heroic self-sacrifice, of every divine and brave act; and we should endeavor to hand the torch to the next generation, having added a little to the intensity and glory of the flame."
6. "All we have to do is to peel the shrines like an onion, and we will be with the king himself."
Author: Howard Carter
7. "A player is said to have the opposition when he can place his King directly in front of the adverse King, with only one square between them. This is often an important advantage in ending games."
Author: Howard Staunton
8. "We will grind you revolutionists down under our heel, and we shall walk upon your faces. The world is ours, we are its lords, and ours it shall remain. As for the host of labor, it has been in the dirt since history began, and I read history aright. And in the dirt it shall remain so long as I and mine and those that come after us have the power. There is the word. It is the king of words—Power. Not God, not Mammon, but Power. Pour it over your tongue till it tingles with it. Power."
Author: Jack London
9. "He played the king as if afraid someone else would play the ace."
Author: John Mason Brown
10. "To prevent the weaker members of the community from being preyed upon by innumerable vultures, it was needful that there should be an animal of prey stronger than the rest, commissioned to keep them down. But as the king of vultures would be no less bent upon preying upon the flock than any of the minor harpies, it was indispensable to be in a perpetual attitude of defense against his beak and claws."
Author: John Stuart Mill
11. "Satan has control now. No matter where you look, he is in control, even in our own land. He is guiding the governments as far as the Lord will permit him. That is why there is so much strife, turmoil, and confusion allover the earth. One master mind is governing the nations. It is not the president of the United States; it isnot Hitler; it is not Mussolini; it is not the king or government of England or any other land; it is Satanhimself."
Author: Joseph Fielding Smith
12. "Theban who acquires his wealth by inheritance builds his mansion with the weak poor's money. The clergyman erects his temple upon the graves and bones of the devoted worshippers. The prince grasps the fellah's arms while the priest empties his pocket; the ruler looks upon the sobs of the fields with frowning face, and the bishop consoles them with his smile, and between the frown of the tiger and the smile of the wolf the flock is perished; the ruler claims himself as king if the law, and the priest as the representative if god, and between these two, the bodies are destroyed and the souls wither into nothing."
Author: Kahlil Gibran
13. "I was lucky, as many of my generation was, in having a man like Dr. King in our lives. He came at a time that we needed to take a long look at each other and see how similar we were."
Author: Lena Horne
14. "He's dreaming now,' said Tweedledee: 'and what do you think he's dreaming about?'Alice said 'Nobody can guess that.''Why, about YOU!' Tweedledee exclaimed, clapping his hands triumphantly. 'And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?''Where I am now, of course,' said Alice.'Not you!' Tweedledee retorted contemptuously. 'You'd be nowhere. Why, you're only a sort of thing in his dream!''If that there King was to wake,' added Tweedledum, 'you'd go out—bang!—just like a candle!"
Author: Lewis Carroll
15. "Even in poverty I lived like a king for I tell you that nobility is the thing that makes a king"
Author: Ludwig Van Beethoven
16. "I teethed on books of heroes such as Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln and King David."
Author: Luke Ford
17. "Yes, King Edward VI lived only a few years, poor boy, but he lived them worthily."
Author: Mark Twain
18. "I was a king and a king's heir and now I am a slave."
Author: Mary Renault
19. "Sophos, you sleep with a knife under your pillow? I'm hurt.""I'm sorry," said Sounis, afraid that he had made contact with his wild swing."I was joking. Wake up the rest of the way, would you?""Gen, it's the middle of the night.""I know," said the king of Attolia.Sounis tried to rub the sleep out of his eyes. He was sitting up in his bed. The sky was still entirely dark, and he couldn't have been asleep for long. He suspected that he had just dropped off. The bare knife was still in his hand, he realized, and he rooted under his pillow for the sheath."Don't you trust my palace security?""Yes, of course," Sounis said, trying to think of some other reason besides mistrust to sleep with a knife. He heard Eugenides laugh."My queen and I sleep with a matched set under our pillows, as well as handguns in pockets on the bedposts. Don't be embarrassed."
Author: Megan Whalen Turner
20. "Witnessing the Vette's demise, the way Rick felt, there wasn't a king on Earth who he would bow to. No religious figure whose hand he'd kiss. No icon of history he'd worship. No one whose autograph he'd seek. He was becoming a legend, and he was alive to feel it happen."
Author: Rich Hoffman
21. "What about King Tut's tomb?" I protested."That boy king?" Zia rolled her eyes. "Boring. You should see some of the good tombs."
Author: Rick Riordan
22. "Am I making myself clear, Orrin? I don't regret how I've lived these past few years. I move where I will. I set no appointments. I guard no borders. What landbound king has the freedom of a ship's captain? The Sea of Brass provides. When I need haste, it gives me winds. When I need gold, it gives me galleons." Thieves prosper, thought Locke. The rich remember. He made his decision, and gripped the rail to avoid shaking."Only gods-damned fools die for lines drawn on maps," said Zamira. "But nobody can draw lines around my ship. If they try, all I need to do to slip away is set more sail."
Author: Scott Lynch
23. "He'd never seen one so vibrant, though, or so vividly compelling... those glowing green eyes sparkling with sunlight and curiosity and silent laughter, and when she glanced in Henry's direction, she held his gaze, a look that was both challenging and enigmatic... He was utterly certain that this was Eleanor of Aquitaine, and no less sure that the French King must be one of God's greatest fools."
Author: Sharon Kay Penman
24. "You can party, but I better not catch you drunk. (Wulf)(Chris rolled his eyes, then bent down to said to Cassandra's stomach...)Be wise, little guy, stay in there where Lord King Neurotic can't kill all your fun. (Chris)"
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
25. "Tell her thisAnd more,—That the king of the seasWeeps too, old, helpless man.The bustling fatesHeap his hands with corpsesUntil he stands like a childWith surplus of toys."
Author: Stephen Crane
26. "A king can only work with his best tools."
Author: T.H. White
27. "Kill the king but spare the man."
Author: Thomas Paine
Quotes About Oedipus The King Pictures