Famous Quotes About Outdoor
Browse 170 famous quotes and sayings about Outdoor.
Top Quotes About Outdoor
1. "The stains could be seen only in the sunlight, so Ruth was never really aware of them until later, when she would stop at an outdoor cafe for a cup of coffee, and look down at her skirt and see the dark traces of spilled vodka or whiskey. The alcohol had the effect of making the black cloth blacker. This amused her; she had noted in her journal: 'booze affects material as it does people'."
Author: Alice Sebold
2. "Well, I spent six or seven years after high school trying to work myself up. Shipping clerk, salesman, business of one kind or another. And it's a measly manner of existence. To get on that subway on the hot mornings in summer. To devote your whole life to keeping stock, or making phone calls, or selling or buying. To suffer fifty weeks of the year for the sake of a two-week vacation, when all you really desire is to be outdoors, with your shirt off. And always to have to get ahead of the next fella. And still — that's how you build a future."
Author: Arthur Miller
3. "Ah,the outdoors," Shallan said. "I visited that mythical place once. It was so very long ago, I've nearly forgotten it. Tell me, does the sun still shine, or is that just my dreamy recollection''Surely your studies aren't that bad."
Author: Brandon Sanderson
4. "Walking and talking are two very great pleasures, but it is a mistake to combine them. Our own noise blots out the sounds and silences of the outdoor world; and talking leads almost inevitably to smoking, and then farewell to nature as far as one of our senses is concerned. The only friend to walk with is one who so exactly shares your taste for each mood of the countryside that a glance, a halt, or at most a nudge, is enough to assure us that the pleasure is shared."
Author: C.S. Lewis
5. "Oppression does not make for hearts as big as all outdoors. Oppression makes us big and small. Expressive and silenced. Deep and dead."
Author: Cherrie Moraga
6. "I didn't know how living outdoors and sleeping on the ground in a tent each night and walking alone through the wilderness all day almost every day had come to feel like my normal life, but it had. It was the idea of not doing it that scared me."
Author: Cheryl Strayed
7. "Anything that involves the outdoors I'm all about, whether it be skiing, snowboarding, wakesurfing to mountain-biking. Anything that gets me outside."
Author: Daniel Cudmore
8. "A peaceful refuge in which to rediscover each other, we thought,, not realizing that, while golf and fishing are Scotland's most popular outdoor sports, gossip is the most popular indoor sport."
Author: Diana Gabaldon
9. "My father also encouraged my love of nature. He urged me to become a Cub Scout, and later a Boy Scout, and I found I really liked being outdoors."
Author: Ed Begley Jr.
10. "From the looks of it, he spent a lot of time outdoors and liked to be prepared, both big pluses in Billie's book."
Author: Elaine Hussey
11. "There is some risk to increase birth defects if you do a lot of outdoor gardening when you are pregnant. That can increase rates of toxoplasmosis."
Author: Emily Oster
12. "No text can be understood out of its entire context. The most "entire" context is Jesus. Every biblical text must be read in the living presence of Jesus. Every word of the scriptural text is a window or door leading us out of the tarpaper shacks of self into this great outdoors of God's revelation."
Author: Eugene H. Peterson
13. "Oh, mansion shmansion. Did Gandhi's house have the largest outdoor trampoline in the tristate area? Did Jesus have a two-acre remote-controlled car track, with mountains to scale and a little village that lit up at night?Not in his Bible."
Author: George Saunders
14. "I love outdoor sports, like volleyball, and I play them whenever I can."
Author: Gisele Bundchen
15. "In the photographs themselves there's a definite contrast between the figures and the location - I like that kind of California backyard look; clapboard houses, staircases outdoors."
Author: Helmut Newton
16. "Every child begins the world again, to some extent, and loves to stay outdoors, even in wet and cold. It plays house, as well as horse, having an instinct for it...At last we know not what it is to live in the open air, and our lives are domestic in more senses than we think."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
17. "Obvious enough that generalities work to protect the mind from the great outdoors; is it possible that this was in fact their first purpose?"
Author: Howard Nemerov
18. "I stare up at him, and it dawns on me that I've never actually heard Grant Blue raise his voice to an outdoor level, or laugh out loud. Either he's very calm in general, or he's got a huge stash of Zoloft hidden away somewhere. Also, his eyes are like this really awesome color between brown and green. You'd think such a color would end up looking like split peas, or baby poop. But it doesn't."
Author: Isobel Irons
19. "I was always a very indoor videogame nerd movie buff... Now I've come to appreciate Scouts and the outdoors."
Author: Jared Gilman
20. "I'm not an outdoors person by instinct or nature. I'm more of a city person."
Author: Jim Sturgess
21. "I grew up like Huck Finn, always outdoors, exploring, collecting frogs - there was space everywhere. I want my kids to experience that too. I love being outside."
Author: Josh Duhamel
22. "The full California workup: shopping on Rodeo Drive, a ridiculously overpriced lunch at the Ivy, an afternoon at the beach, and dinner at a quaint outdoor bistro in Santa Monica."
Author: Julie James
23. "I have composed several pieces which are performed outdoors, not only in the auditoria."
Author: Karlheinz Stockhausen
24. "Such a simplified lifestyle can be truly wonderful - you'll finally have time for the things you really love, for relaxation, for outdoor activities, for exercise, for reading or finding peace and quiet, for the loved ones in your life, for the things you're most passionate about. This is what it means to thrive - to live a life full of the things you want in them, and not more. To live a better quality of life without having to spend and buy and consume."
Author: Leo Babauta
25. "My favorite memories growing up in North Carolina were hunting and fishing with my father and brothers. There, I developed a deep appreciation for protecting land and waterways. There, I learned outdoorsmanship."
Author: Louis Bacon
26. "If the ghost that haunts the towns of Ypres and Arras and Albert is the staturory British Tommy, slogging with rifle and pack through its ruined streets to this well-documented destiny ‘up the line', then the ghost of Boulogne and Etaples and Rouen ought to be a girl. She's called Elsie or Gladys or Dorothy, her ankles are swollen, her feet are aching, her hands reddened and rough. She has little money, no vote, and has almost forgotten what it feels like to be really warm. She sleeps in a tent. Unless she has told a diplomatic lie about her age, she is twenty-three. She is the daughter of a clergyman, a lawyer or a prosperous businessman, and has been privately educated and groomed to be a ‘lady'. She wears the unbecoming outdoor uniform of a VAD or an army nurse. She is on active service, and as much a part of the war as Tommy Atkins."
Author: Lyn Macdonald
27. "I'm an outdoorsy person. I really enjoy the hiking in L.A."
Author: Matt Lanter
28. "When I was a kid I used to go to the movies, double features in outdoor theaters, and my parents used to take us to see like, 'Cat On a Hot Tin Roof' or something like that, with Elizabeth Taylor."
Author: Michael Biehn
29. "I'm back in Boston. I own an outdoor deck hockey rink, and I own a boxing gym here also."
Author: Micky Ward
30. "Reading is a solitary pursuit, even a lone passage to a separate world. Yet to read in public, amid strangers, gives it another dimension. Sometimes the city speaks to the page, or the page seems to open up to people passing by. An outdoor reader shares the pulse of a timeless urban conversation between the world and the written word."
Author: Nina Bernstein
31. "Father was about to leave the house with his camera on his way to call for Mrs Walsh. They were going to a nearby park where, he said, he was planning to take her on the swings if the light was appropriate, and possibly on the roundabout as well ... Father explained that in outdoor work he has found a fillip which delights him."
Author: Norma Hall
32. "It is born to every Western girl to like outdoor life and to do all kinds of wild, daring things."
Author: Pearl White
33. "It's very warm there, so we were outdoors all the time. The local people had programs for us year-round, where as kids we had the opportunity to play football, basketball, baseball, track and field - we just went from one sport to the next, year-round."
Author: Rafer Johnson
34. "The outdoors, the beautiful environment, both in fresh and salt water. And the thing that concerns me is the amount of kids that stand on street corners, or go into pinball parlours, and call it recreation."
Author: Rex Hunt
35. "No other youth group like the Scouts has trained so many future leaders while at the same time being a nature organization with its outdoor focus."
Author: Richard Louv
36. "How can our kids really understand the moral complexities of being alive if they are not allowed to engage in those complexities outdoors?"
Author: Richard Louv
37. "SAUL: 'We made love outdoors, my favorite place to make love, assuming the weather be fair and balmy, and the earth beneath be clean. Our souls intertwined and dripping with sweat."
Author: Roman Payne
38. "I'm a man's man. I go out climbing and live outdoors."
Author: Rory McCann
39. "I want to get people to connect to the outdoors."
Author: Sally Jewell
40. "He wondered if he would live to see the blossom on his apple trees and felt an answering pop inside himself. Ah, so it would not be long now. It began to snow lightly, the last flakes to fall before the spring. He put on his wedding finery, the clothes he had worn so long ago when he married his beloved Pamposh, and which he had kept all this time wrapped in tissue paper in a trunk. As a bridegroom he went outdoors and the snowflakes caressed his grizzled cheeks. His mind was alert, he was ambulatory and nobody was waiting for him with a club. He had his body and his mind and it seemed he was to be spared a brutal end. That at least was kind. He went into his apple orchard, seated himself cross-legged beneath a tree, closed his eyes, heard the verses of the Rig-Veda fill the world with beauty and ceased upon the midnight with no pain."
Author: Salman Rushdie
41. "Those who don't have a wife should sublimate their sexual energies with outdoor sports or long walks."
Author: Samael Aun Weor
42. "The lack of power to take joy in outdoor nature is as real a misfortune as the lack of power to take joy in books"
Author: Theodore Roosevelt
43. "Brass bands are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away."
Author: Thomas Beecham
44. "We're playing all these weird festivals, usually outdoors."
Author: Thurston Moore
45. "Growing up in northern California has had a big influence on my love and respect for the outdoors. When I lived in Oakland, we would think nothing of driving to Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz one day and then driving to the foothills of the Sierras the next day."
Author: Tom Hanks
46. "The climate outdoors is another matter. Serious reading is hardly a social activity and every halfway serious reader is perpetually subject to a form of coitus interruptus. Family members or friends who lack the desire, the courage, or the opportunity to burst in on you when there's some indication that you could be sexually entwined will seldom hesitate to interject themselves between you and a page, even though the act of reading is often ass intimate and intense as a full-fledged carnal embrace. You must take steps to ensure your privacy."
Author: Tom Robbins
47. "I hate going to the gym, so sweating outdoors sure beats sitting on a stationary bike staring at my navel."
Author: Tom Selleck
48. "A fitly born and bred race, growing up in right conditions of outdoor as much as indoor harmony, activity and development, would probably, from and in those conditions, find it enough merely to live—and would, in their relations to the sky, air, water, trees, etc., and to the countless common shows, and in the fact of life itself, discover and achieve happiness—with Being suffused night and day by wholesome ecstasy, surpassing all the pleasures that wealth, amusement, and even gratified intellect, erudition, or the sense of art, can give."
Author: Walt Whitman
49. "I hate the outdoors. To me the outdoors is where the car is."
Author: Will Durst
50. "But what I remember is the countryside then, the brilliance of outdoors and outwindows, and the sunlight streaming through the lozenge shapes of the glass, and we were locked away from it, locked inside to worship. And there was the sun out there for everyone else to see. Good God, tell me Clovis wasn't lonely at dawn. Tell me he wasn't sick at the sunset."
Author: William Gaddis
Quotes About Outdoor Pictures