Famous Quotes About Outrageous
Browse 178 famous quotes and sayings about Outrageous.
Top Quotes About Outrageous
1. "An outrageous instinct to love and be loved blinded your arms to lines of propriety––Women and Men, Christians and Jews, Muslims and Buddhists, white, black, red, brown. An outrageous instinct to love and be loved executed your brain every hour on the hour."
2. "In digital era, privacy must be a priority. Is it just me, or is secret blanket surveillance obscenely outrageous?"
Author: Al Gore
3. "Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it. Whether 'tis better in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them ... but you don't do either. Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy."
Author: Aldous Huxley
4. "The Taliban and its backers bear the responsibility for the consequences of this outrageous act."
Author: Amanullah Khan
5. "We'll need to clarify for the record, that I'm a pretend girlfriend. Pretend," she demands. "Got it? If you're giving me that goofy look because you think there are going to be benefits as part of this deal, you can just hold it right there! Pretend girlfriend. Say it with me." I shake my head at her outrageous comments. "Please. I've got that understood." "Good."
Author: Anne Eliot
6. "Chauncey seethed at the outrageous insult. "And your father?" he demanded, extending the sword. He didn't yet know all his vassals, but he was learning. He would brand the family name of this boy to memory."
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
7. "Memoir today is like one big game of misery poker: The more outlandish, outrageous, or just plain out-there the recounted life, the more likely the book is to attract the attention of reviewers, talk-show bookers, and, ultimately, the public."
Author: Ben Yagoda
8. "Like faith and hope, trust cannot be self-generated. I cannot simply will myself to trust. What outrageous irony: the one thing that I am responsible for throughout my life I cannot generate. The one thing I need to do I cannot do. But such is the meaning of radical dependence. It consists in theological virtues, in divinely ordained gifts. Why reproach myself for my lack of trust? Why waste time beating myself up for something I cannot affect? What does lie within my power is paying attention to the faithfulness of Jesus. That's what I am asked to do: pay attention to Jesus throughout my journey, remembering his kindnesses (Ps. 103:2)."
Author: Brennan Manning
9. "The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."
Author: Carl Sagan
10. "They're paying me an outrageous sum of money; $40,000 a week, which is totally silly."
Author: Cass Elliot
11. "When Arthur Schlesinger Sr. pioneered the 'presidential greatness poll' in 1948, the top five were Lincoln, Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and Jefferson. Only Wilson appears to be seriously fading, probably because his support for the World War I-era Sedition Act now seems outrageous; in this analogy, Woodrow is like the Doors and the Sedition Act is Oliver Stone."
Author: Chuck Klosterman
12. "Those who wish even to focus on the problem of a Christian ethic are faced with an outrageous demand-from the outset they must give up, as inappropriate to this topic, the very two questions that led them to deal with the ethical problem: 'How can I be good?' and 'How can I do something good?' Instead they must ask the wholly other, completely different question: 'What is the will of God?"
Author: Dietrich Bonhoeffer
13. "He brought the mirror carefully around the chaise, placing it where she could see herself in its shining surface. Now she guessed what he intended. It was outrageous. Surely not...A tremor shook her, desire mingled with panic. She rose from the seat. "No, I can't—"As she hesitated, he caught her hands. "Yes, you can, darling. And I promise you will enjoy it."
Author: Elena Greene
14. "In masks outrageous and austere, The years go by in single file; But none has merited my fear, And none has quite escaped my smile."
Author: Elinor Wylie
15. "Holly, do you trust me?"Holly groaned. "Artemis, don't ask me that. I just know one of your outrageous plans is coming.""Do you trust me?""Yes," Holly sighed. "I do. More than anyone."
Author: Eoin Colfer
16. "Life cannot have had a random beginning ... The trouble is that there are about 2000 enzymes, and the chance of obtaining them all in a random trial is only one part in 10^40,000, an outrageously small probability that could not be faced even if the whole universe consisted of organic soup."
Author: Fred Hoyle
17. "Untroubled, scornful, outrageous - that is how wisdom wants us to be: she is a woman and never loves anyone but a warrior."
Author: Friedrich Nietzsche
18. "Americans, though apparently impressed by ghastly sentimentality and outrageous hypocrisy, are by nature much more politically cynical than Canadians. In their longer history they have had much more to be cynical about. They demand a vulgar show, enjoy it, guffaw, and forget it the next morning. When a new U.S. President takes office all bets are off and his campaign platform is dismantled and stored away."
Author: Gordon Donaldson
19. "Conversation! Supple sentences, with first and second meanings and overtones beyond, outrageous challenges with cleverly planned slip-points, rebuttals of elegant brevity; deceptions and guiles, patient explanations of the obvious, fleeting allusions to the unthinkable. As a preliminary, the conversationalist must gauge the mood, the intelligence and the verbal facility of the company. To this end, a few words of pedantic exposition often prove invaluable."
Author: Jack Vance
20. "What the times demand, and in an unprecedented fashion, is that one be--not seem--outrageous, independent, anarchical. That one be thoroughly disciplined--as a means of being spontaneous. That one resist at whatever cost the fearful pressures placed on one to lie about one's own experience. For in the same way that the writer scarcely ever had a more uneasy time, he has never been needed more."
Author: James Baldwin
21. "I put on such a good show, the story is outrageous, and people don't want to hear that I'm basically a reasonable human being. As long as it continues to get me print, I'll continue to perform in an exuberant manner."
Author: James Ellroy
22. "His lectures were always well attended, and not just because he imparted so much wisdom and knowledge: he also managed to do it with humour. It had taken Danny some time to realize that the professor enjoyed provoking discussion and argument by offering up outrageous statements to see what reaction he would arouse from his students."
Author: Jeffrey Archer
23. "I can't afford to say yes to all my staff's desires, but one thing is certain – I can't afford the outrageous cost of not listening to their requests."
Author: John Yokoyama
24. "He waited until she was standing directly across his desk from him before he said quietly, "You've chosen a poor time to apologize,Lauren. I have to leave for a luncheon appointment in five minutes."Lauren almost choked on his outrageous presumption that she owed him an apology,but she merely favored him with an amused smile. "I hate to bruise your ego, but I didn't come up here to apologize."
Author: Judith McNaught
25. "She smiled brightly on Mrs. West. "Who's your dressmaker, Mrs. West?" she asked, with a view to avoiding the woman all costs. Such extremes of fashion as the purple shift dress which Mrs. West was almost wearing was not for Phryne. She preferred her personality to supply the outrageous edge to her appearance, not her exposed bosom."
Author: Kerry Greenwood
26. "My heart went into my throat. I leaned back against Luke, his arm moved to wrap around my chest and we watched two people we both cared a lot about. They were in love, they were healed and most of all, they were outrageously happy."
Author: Kristen Ashley
27. "I have thousands and thousands of hats. Some are the most outrageous hats in the world. They are my disguise. I hide beneath them."
Author: Larry Hagman
28. "At school, Max searched the archives alone-Edmund had stopped appearing, and I didn't have the heart to summon him. Kylee was still acting timid and injured, and the ghost jocks were even more outrageously annoying-trying to cover their underlying nervousness, I thought.Harry and Sara couldn't feel anything wrong, but they took their cues from us, and searched the student lounges with a wariness that I'd never seen from either of them. Britta was as sneering and mean as ever, completely unchanged, and I wanted to kiss her.I managed to restrain myself."
Author: Lee Nichols
29. "I like that kind of 'straight-faced' comedy. I like to be straight-faced and outrageous."
Author: Leslie Nielsen
30. "Charming people live up to the very edge of their charm, and behave as outrageously as the world lets them."
Author: Logan Pearsall Smith
31. "Hey, no worries. I don't need to be on top." Pausing he quirked one brow outrageously before continuing smoothly. "I like to be on the bottom every now and again."Jules wondered if there were some sort of daily sexual innuendo quota he had to meet."
Author: Louisa Edwards
32. "My goal is to do something outrageous every day."
Author: Maggie Kuhn
33. "House-training, I must tell you, is a formality that can elude young dachshunds for some time; this is particularly true in climates that affront their sensibilities with outrageous meteorological insults. Rain, for example, or a startling gust of wind."
Author: Mary Doria Russell
34. "Among the dragons, the prohibition against asking direct questions did not exist, and-as Harrier discovered immediately-dragons were even more outrageous gossips than sailors."
Author: Mercedes Lackey
35. "I love to interview outrageous people who speak their minds; also, people who have some kind of mystery attached to them."
Author: Nancy Jo Sales
36. "The actors are in control, getting outrageous amounts of money. The reason they're getting this kind of money is because the studios don't know what else to do. They don't have a clue about what to do except to pay an actor a lot of money."
Author: Peter Bogdanovich
37. "I don't try to pretend to be what I'm not. I don't feel I need to do anything outrageous."
Author: Pixie Lott
38. "There's an enormous difference between being a story writer and being a regular person. As a person, it's your duty to stay on a straight and even keel, not to break down blubbering in the streets, not to pull rude drivers from their cars, not to swing from the branches of trees. But as a writer it's your duty to lie and to view everything in life, however outrageous, as an interesting possibility. You may need to be ruthless or amoral in your writing to be original. Telling a story straight from real life is only being a reporter, not a creator. You have to make your story bigger, better, more magical, more meaningful than life is, no matter how special or wonderful in real life the moment may have been."
Author: Rick Bass
39. "English is an outrageous tangle of those derivations and other multifarious linguistic influences, from Yiddish to Shoshone, which has grown up around a gnarly core of chewy, clangorous yawps derived from ancestors who painted themselves blue to frighten their enemies."
Author: Roy Blount Jr.
40. "I don't like looking outrageous."
Author: Sade Adu
41. "My attitude is always one of sensuality, aggressive enthusiasm and a kind of outrageousness in my expression."
Author: Sally Kirkland
42. "Each Javelin round costs $80,000, and the idea that it's fired by a guy who doesn't make that in a year at a guy who doesn't make that in a lifetime is somehow so outrageous it almost makes the war seem winnable."
Author: Sebastian Junger
43. "The things I see now on TV and in movies are so outlandish. Kids doing rude things with pies! And the language that they use! It's being outrageous for the sake of being outrageous. I can't watch it. It turns me off."
Author: Sid Caesar
44. "He wasn't just beautiful; he was… enthralling. He was the kind of guy who made a woman want to rip his shirt open and watch the buttons scatter along with her inhibitions. I looked at him in his civilized, urbane, outrageously expensive suit and thought of raw, primal, sheet-clawing fucking."
Author: Sylvia Day
45. "In sleep, you are safe from the revolting mechanics of living and being a prey to outrageous fortune."
Author: Taylor Caldwell
46. "The role of benefactor is worse than thankless, it's the role of a victim, Doctor, a sacrificial victim, yes, they want your blood, Doctor, they want your blood on the altar steps of their outraged, outrageous egos!"
Author: Tennessee Williams
47. "I have never described the time I was in Doctor Who as anything except a kind of ecstatic success, but all the rest has been rather a muddle and a disappointment. Compared to Doctor Who, it has been an outrageous failure really - it's so boring."
Author: Tom Baker
48. "The longing for a man, as you know, is a grand escape. It can arch your mental process to extremes so that, like a gymnast or a ballerina, you're contorted to such outrageous limits – I'm speaking of passion – that nothing else matters. I wanted this. I desired diversion."
Author: Vicki Covington
49. "He was a thundering paradox of a man, noble and ignoble, inspiring and outrageous, arrogant and shy, the best of me and the worst of men, the most protean, most ridiculous, and most sublime. No more baffling, exasperating soldier ever wore a uniform. Flamboyant, imperious, and apocalyptic, he carried the plumage of a flamingo, could not acknowledge errors, and tried to cover up his mistakes with sly, childish tricks. Yet he was also endowed with great personal charm, a will of iron, and a soaring intellect. Unquestionably he was the most gifted man-at arms- this nation has produced. -William Manchester on Douglas MacArthur"
Author: William R. Manchester
50. "I never heard a passion so confused, So strange, outrageous, and so variable, As the dog Jew did utter in the streets: 'My daughter! O my ducats! O my daughter! Fled with a Christian! O my Christian ducats! Justice! the law! my ducats, and my daughter! A sealed bag, two sealed bags of ducats, Of double ducats, stolen from me by my daughter! And jewels, two stones, two rich and precious stones, Stolen by my daughter! Justice! find the girl; She hath the stones upon her, and the ducats."
Author: William Shakespeare
Quotes About Outrageous Pictures