Famous Quotes About Performance
Browse 722 famous quotes and sayings about Performance.
Top Quotes About Performance
1. "Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship character."
Author: Alan Armstrong
2. "The heart easily commends and condemns itself, depending on our wave like performance. That is why we must base our worth in Jesus alone."
Author: Alisa Hope Wagner
3. "Performance capture is a technology, not a genre; it's just another way of recording an actor's performance."
Author: Andy Serkis
4. "County government can be simplified greatly by reorganizing and consolidating some of the offices, making others appointive, and reducing salaries in keeping with the salaries paid by private business for the performance of similar duties."
Author: Arthur Capper
5. "Good performance is about the capacity to focus and concentrate."
Author: Betty Buckley
6. "My parents were really encouraging. But I had to teach them the proper way you respond to an actor after seeing a play - regardless of whether you like their performance you tell them how great they are because they have to go on again the next night."
Author: Billy Crudup
7. "...writing is not a performance but a generosity."
Author: Brenda Ueland
8. "It was a kind of fire dance in which the stick was thrown and caught, and the flame, tossed and twirled, created sinuous shapes, circles and ever-moving patterns. Ancel's red hair created a pleasing aesthetic alongside the red and orange fire. And even without the hypnotic movement of the flame, the dance was beguiling, its difficulties made to look effortless, its physicality subtly erotic. Damen looked at Ancel with new respect. This performance required training, discipline and athleticism, which Damen admired. It was the first time that Damen had seen Veretian pets display skill in anything other than wearing clothes or climbing on top of one another."
Author: C.S. Pacat
9. "He peeled onto the road and pushed on the gas, making the high-performance car accelerate with barely a sound. It wasn't until Mina saw that he was going forty over the speed limit that she thought to panic."
Author: Chanda Hahn
10. "Let your performance do the thinking."
Author: Charlotte Bronte
11. "An illusion has three stages."First there is the setup, in which the nature of what might be attempted at is hinted at, or suggested, or explained. The apparatus is seen. volunteers from the audience sometimes participate in preparation. As the trick is being setup, the magician will make use of every possible use of misdirection."The performance is where the magician's lifetime of practice, and his innate skill as a performer, cojoin to produce the magical display."The third stage is sometimes called the effect, or the prestige, and this is the product of magic. If a rabbit is pulled from a hat, the rabbit, which apparently did not exist before the trick was performed, can be said to be the prestige of that trick."
Author: Christopher Priest
12. "Death by drowning, death by snakebite ... death by memory loss, death by claymore ... death by paper cuts, death by whoreknife, death by poker game ... death by authority, death by isolation, death by genocide, death by Kennedy ... death by signature, death by silence ... death by performance"
Author: Colum McCann
13. "Mood evidently affects the operation of System 1: when we are uncomfortable and unhappy, we lose touch with our intuition. These findings add to the growing evidence that good mood, intuition, creativity, gullibility, and increased reliance on System 1 form a cluster. At the other pole, sadness, vigilance, suspicion, an analytic approach, and increased effort also go together. A happy mood loosens the control of System 2 over performance: when in a good mood, people become more intuitive and more creative but also less vigilant and more prone to logical errors."
Author: Daniel Kahneman
14. "Don't be so damned patronizing. Your performance so far has been a little less than dazzling.""I didn't mean no harm," I said and kissed her. "That a new dress?""Ah! Changing the subject, you coward."
Author: Dashiell Hammett
15. "Traditions that cease to evolve render themselves irrelevant or obsolete. And what's the problem with inventing new performance practices? Are customs being slandered? Do successful alternative diminish the value of traditional ones? *The argument that musicians must embrace conventional rituals is just as perilous as unilaterally rejecting them.*"
Author: David Cutler
16. "And we neglect the glorious gospel when we fail to recognize his preeminence. How frequently we forget that everything is for him and about him. We forget that he is to be first, in our honor and in our worship. Whenever the gospel slips from our conscious thought, our religion becomes all about our performance, and then we think everything that happens or will ever happen isa bout us. When I forget the incarnation, sinless life, death, resurrection, and ascension, I quickly believe that I'm supposed to be the unrivaled supreme, and matchless one. It's at this point that I'm particularly in need of an intravenous dose of gospel truth. He is preeminent."
Author: Elyse M. Fitzpatrick
17. "Being a woman is worse than being a farmer there is so much harvesting and crop spraying to be done: legs to be waxed, underarms shaved, eyebrows plucked, feet pumiced, skin exfoliated and moisturised, spots cleansed, roots dyed, eyelashes tinted, nails filed, cellulite massaged, stomach muscles exercised.The whole performance is so highly tuned you only need to neglect it for a few days for the whole thing to go to seed. Sometimes I wonder what I would be like if left to revert to nature — with a full beard and handlebar moustache on each shin Dennis Healey eyebrows face a graveyard of dead skin cells spots erupting long curly fingernails like Struwelpeter blind as bat and stupid runt of species as no contact lenses flabby body flobbering around. Ugh ugh. Is it any wonder girls have no confidence?"
Author: Helen Fielding
18. "Just watching the drama stage does not define your successful performance; success lies in the display you do on that drama platform and how excellent you do it when it's your turn to act!"
Author: Israelmore Ayivor
19. "All good performance pieces have some philosophical validity. That's the difference between mere theater and performance art."
Author: Jack Bowman
20. "Growing up as a dancer, the stage is really where I love to be performance wise."
Author: Jacob Artist
21. "Where, then, is any particular gene—say, the gene for long legs in humans? This is a little like asking where is Beethoven's Piano Sonata in E minor. Is it in the original handwritten score? The printed sheet music? Any one performance—or perhaps the sum of all performances, historical and potential, real and imagined? The quavers and crotchets inked on paper are not the music. Music is not a series of pressure waves sounding through the air; nor grooves etched in vinyl or pits burned in CDs; nor even the neuronal symphonies stirred up in the brain of the listener. The music is the information. Likewise, the base pairs of DNA are not genes. They encode genes. Genes themselves are made of bits."
Author: James Gleick
22. "The power of doing any thing with quickness is always much prized by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance. - Mr Darcy"
Author: Jane Austen
23. "I accept that responsibility and ask only that I be judged by my performance as its chief executive."
Author: Jane Byrne
24. "Given Mr. Obama's lack of experience as an executive, and his past performance in crises such as the oil spill, it is reasonable for those of us who support the effort in Afghanistan to worry that he will not be up to the job."
Author: Jim Talent
25. "Royalties are not how most writers or musicians make their living. Musicians by and large make a living with a relationship with an audience that is economically harnessed through performance and ticket sales."
Author: John Perry Barlow
26. "It was only once I was in the car ... that the only two reasons I hadn't joined right in with the loon with the gray crew cut, beating my head and screaming "Fuck!" in primal syncopation, were (1) I'd be embarrassed and (2) I didn't want to get my cute vintage suit any dirtier than it already was. Performance anxiety and a dry-cleaning bill, those were the only things keeping me from stark raving lunacy."
Author: Julie Powell
27. "If I am ever put to death on the hook, expect a very human performance."
Author: Kurt Vonnegut
28. "Too often we're happy to receive thanks from the nonprofits we fund, accepting gratitude instead of feedback or performance measurements."
Author: Laura Arrillaga Andreessen
29. "It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage."
Author: Learned Hand
30. "As I sit down and start to work, I often panic. I stare at the empty piece of music paper. How can I say that my piece will be ready for performance next January when I do not have a recipe for making it happen?"
Author: Lukas Foss
31. "It is the element I miss in electronic music - no performance, no loving immersion. Maybe that is why I was never particularly drawn to electronic music."
Author: Lukas Foss
32. "I feel like this is the way I was meant to interact with acting. Which is as a director, and helping, working with actors to find their way. Facilitating their performances is so satisfying for me."
Author: Lynn Shelton
33. "As one who appreciated the tragic side of eating, it seemed to him that anything other than fruit for dessert implied a reprehensible frivolity, and cakes in particular ended up annihilating the flavour of quiet sadness that must be allowed to linger at the end of a great culinary performance."
Author: Manuel Vázquez Montalbán
34. "It is a terrible smudge on grace and unconditional love to think that God simply winks and smiles at our poor choices; that God must rubber stamp everything we do or else He is unloving. God loves us unconditionally regardless of our performance - good or bad. When God challenges us or corrects us He does not stop loving us. In the safety of His love we can receive correction and challenge without shame or feelings of rejection."
Author: Michael M. Rose
35. "It was more freeing, mainly because he's so free anyway. He just is in his performance. So to mimic someone doing a free performance, well, that's pretty freeing within itself."
Author: Michael Welch
36. "I arrive at the theatre four hours before the beginning of the performance. I must get accustomed to the hall even if I know it well."
Author: Mireille Mathieu
37. "A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
Author: Pat Riley
38. "This book itself is not a book on what people at the top do or should do. It is addressed to everyone who, as a knowledge worker, is responsible for actions and decisions which are meant to contribute to the performance capacity of his organization."
Author: Peter F. Drucker
39. "Musicals are written and then rewritten. Those things used to happen on the road. Now they are done in New York during preview performances."
Author: Peter Stone
40. "That's quite a performance you gave earlier [...] I'm sure the theater lost a fine actor when you chose to devote yourself to murder and cannibalism."
Author: Ransom Riggs
41. "After the comedy boom of the '80s, there was a certain formula that comedians had to do and could do in order to be successful touring comedians, and those were mainly observational comedians who had a very strict structure of what made an act, and I think it was very performance oriented."
Author: Scott Aukerman
42. "The most memorable performance was my appearance in concert in Carnegie Hall. The first standup to do so."
Author: Shelley Berman
43. "The Steve Allen Sunday night show had the right to two options after my first performance."
Author: Shelley Berman
44. "Instead, over the past thirty years, in the world of action and adventure sports, in situations where asses really were on the line, the bounds of the possible have been pushed further and faster than ever before in history. We've seen near-exponential growth in ultimate human performance, which is both hyperbolic paradox and considerable mystery. Somehow, a generation's worth of iconoclastic misfits have rewritten the rules of the feasible, not just raising the bar but often obliterating it altogether. And this brings up one final question: Where–if anywhere–do our actual limits lie?"
Author: Steven Kotler
45. "I just produced Criminal, this remake of Nine Queens, and one of the things that appealed to me about Nine Queens is that it was a performance piece, and that's the most fun."
Author: Steven Soderbergh
46. "American-made genuine book. Each component of this book was selected to provide you with maximum book performance, whatever your reading needs may be. If you are a woman and you bought this book for practical"
Author: Tina Fey
47. "Today, researchers have identified a strong link between children's sleep patterns and their performance in the classroom. They found simply having a specific bedtime rule makes a profound difference. Children with higher sleep quality are more active and eat healthier foods. All of this research suggests we need to rethink sleep as a core family value."
Author: Tom Rath
48. "We now live in a time when PEOPLE and profits must become equally valuable in the corporate leaders Mindset.Rethink your Leadership Culture to become a conscious, high performance organisation"
Author: Tony Dovale
49. "Lizzy Weiss is such a great writer, and she really writes for the performances."
Author: Vanessa Marano
50. "Strangely, when I was a kid, my first acting job, at 5 years old, was a performance of 'The Three Little Pigs.' They cast me as the Big Bad Wolf."
Author: William Zabka
Quotes About Performance Pictures