Famous Quotes About Pretend
Browse 1900 famous quotes and sayings about Pretend.
Top Quotes About Pretend
1. "I want him back, Henry. I want us to be a family.""We are a family." He kissed my forehead, my cheek, and finally brushed his lips against mine. "We cannot pretend it has been easy, but we love each other unconditionally, and that is what matters. We will get him back. I swear it."My chin trembled. "How?""I do not know yet, but I will find a way. We will find a way together."I kissed him back, not caring if he could taste my tears."
Author: Aimee Carter
2. "When you're a stay-at-home mother you have to pretend it's really boring, but it's not. It's enriching and fulfilling, and an amazing experience. And then when you're a working mother you have to pretend that you feel guilty all day long."
Author: Amy Poehler
3. "Sometimes losing a pet is more painful than losing a human because in the case of the pet, you were not pretending to love it."
Author: Amy Sedaris
4. "Alan Blunt got in touch with me and asked me to put you up here for the rest of the week, to pretend that you're my son. I have to say, you don't look anything like me.""I don't look anything like myself either," Alex said."
Author: Anthony Horowitz
5. "The surface of the pond was green with fallen leaves. "How could you have been happy there? I know what you thought, but Valentine was a terrible father. He killed your pets, lied to you, and I know he hit you- don't even try to pretend he didn't."A flicker of a smile ghosted across Jace's face. "Only on alternate Thursdays."
Author: Cassandra Clare
6. "Got plans for the rest of the day ?""No plans," I whispered. Test drive your mattress? Let me pretend to be a Skittle and you can taste my rainbow? Fifty Shades me? Please ! Oh, holy horror, I'm freaking losing it. "
Author: Christine Zolendz
7. "With all of the seats empty, you could pretend everyone's just gone to the bathroom."
Author: Chuck Palahniuk
8. "I've spent too much time pretending, too much time on the outside, too much time feeling spineless. This time... I'm going after what I want."
Author: Cora Carmack
9. "Everyone pretends to be 'free thinkers', but few individuals pass the line into expressive territories that may be detrimental to their own social well-being."
Author: Criss Jami
10. "It is indeed a mortifying reflection to those who are actuated by the love of fame, so justly denominated the last infirmity of noble minds, that the wisest legislator and most exalted genius that ever reformed or enlightened the world can never expect such tributes of praise as are lavished on the memory of pretended saints, whose whole conduct was probably to the last degree odious or contemptible, and whose industry was entirely directed to the pursuit of objects pernicious to mankind. It is only a conqueror, a personage no less entitled to our hatred, who can pretend to the attainment of equal renown and glory."
Author: David Hume
11. "-¿Cómo andan? -preguntó, pretendiendo demostrar cierta despreocupación.-¿Quiénes? ¿Te refieres a Brianna y Roger?.-¿A qué otros, si no? -dijo, dejando a un lado sus pretensiones-. ¿Vatodo bien entre ellos?.-Creo que sí. Se están acostumbrando de nuevo el uno al otro.-¿ Lo hacen?.-Sí -dije, mirando de reojo a la cabaña--Roger acaba de vomitar en la falda de Brianna."
Author: Diana Gabaldon
12. "Nobody should expect an actor to have these wonderful ideas and concepts about the world: they pretend to be other people for a living."
Author: Dominic Cooper
13. "The real loneliness is living among all these kind people who only ask one to pretend!"
Author: Edith Wharton
14. "The rules are simple: they lie to us, we know they're lying, they know we know they're lying, but they keep lying to us, and we keep pretending to believe them."
Author: Elena Gorokhova
15. "So what don't you get?""The way people talk and act like they're crazy in love, and then, ding, suddenly they'renot. It's like it was all just pretend. Like it's just a game."He crunched on an ice cube. "Well, sometimes it is just a game.""Then how are you supposed to believe someone when it isn't?"
Author: Elizabeth Chandler
16. "Where are we as a modern civilization if our educational institutions conspire to train only a fraction of our capacities? and if this is all they can really do, then why not acknowledge that fact openly and give legitimacy to the other alternative forms of education that do cultivate those neglected dimensions of personality, instead of pretending that anything lying outside the standards set by the Wester analytic tradition is either inferior, anti-intellectual, or diabolic? (p. 293-294)"
Author: Eugene Taylor
17. "I pretend I am a princess,so that I can try and behave like one."
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
18. "Soldiers don't complain...I am not going to do it; I will pretend this is part of a war."
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
19. "Dagmar knew there were worse things in this world than pretending to be a caring, demure woman. For instance, actually being a caring, demure woman."
Author: G.A. Aiken
20. "Because that day with Willem, I may have pretended to be someone named Lulu, but I had never been more honest in my life. Maybe that's the thing with liberation. It comes at a price."
Author: Gayle Forman
21. "La imaginación demuestra una habilidad para mentir, para pretender que el mundo es diferente de lo que realmente es."
Author: Gemma Malley
22. "Renly thought she was absurd. A woman dressed in man's mail, pretending to be a knight." "If he'd ever seen her in pink satin and Myrish lace, he would not have complained."
Author: George R.R. Martin
23. "Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now"
Author: Hayley Williams
24. "I liked pretending to be other people: I could reinvent myself, reinvent my own reality."
Author: Helena Bonham Carter
25. "Many filmmakers pretend that they never see anything, which has always seemed odd to me."
Author: Jacques Rivette
26. "I worry about identity theft. What's to stop somebody from cloning me to drain the cash from my bank account? And it'd be just as easy for my clone to pretend to be me as it is for me to pretend to be me."
Author: Jarod Kintz
27. "...the sounds next door served as a kind of trip wire: I seemed to stumble and fall on my face, skinning and bruising myself here and there and scattering my emotional and intellectual possessions. There was no point in pretending that I had not fallen, for when we are stretched out in the dirt we must pick ourselves up and brush off our clothes. This then, in a sense, is what I did, reviewing my considered opinions on marriage, constancy, man's nature, and the importance of love. When I had picked up my possessions and repaired my appearance, I fell asleep."
Author: John Cheever
28. "Evil exists," he says, not flinching at the word. "I believe that what the rich have done to the poor people in this city is something that a preacher would call evil. Somebody has power. Pretending that they don't so they don't need to use it to help people-that is my idea of evil."
Author: Jonathan Kozol
29. "Samhain had its origins, like many modern holidays or celebrations, in pagan times. As the sidhe-seers had been inclined to erect churches andabbeys on their sacred sites, the Vatican had been wont to "Christianize" ancient, pagan celebrations in an if-you-can't-beat-them-and-don't-wantto-join-them-rename-it-and-pretend-it-was-yours-all-along campaign."
Author: Karen Marie Moning
30. "She smiled radiantly at the shield, pretending it was Dageus. The three simple words just didn't seem like enough. Love was so much larger than words."I love you, I love you, I love you. I love you more than chocolate. I love you more than the whole world is big." She paused, thinking, searching for a way to explain what she felt. "I love you more than artifacts. I love you so much it makes my toes curl just thinking about it."Pushing her hair back from her face, she donned her most sincere expression. "I love you.""You can have the confounded shield if you love it that much, lass," Dageus said, sounding utterly bewildered. Chloe felt all the blood drain from her face."
Author: Karen Marie Moning
31. "It's not like I pretend the past doesn't exist or that I'm not proud to be a part of it."
Author: Katharine Weymouth
32. "Trent was positively smug. Showing me his back, he rifled through a rack of earth charms and watched his hair shift color. "And whereas I might otherwise object—" "Bairn did the investigation on your parents' deaths," I interrupted, thoughts scrambling. "And my dad's." Bairn is supposed to be dead. Why is he across the road pretending to be a kind old man named Keasley? And how did Trent know who he was? His hair now an authoritative gray, Trent frowned. "And whereas I might otherwise object," he tried again, "Quen assures me that between Bairn and two pixies—" "Two!" I blurted. "Jih took a husband?""Damn it, Rachel, will you shut up!"
Author: Kim Harrison
33. "-Gracias por esto, Ángel, pero no me gusta el Coco Pops. Le fruncí el ceño, confundida. Siempre estaba comiendo mi cereal. -Claro que sí, te lo comes todos los días.Se echó a reír.-No, no lo hago. Hago un plato cada día y pretendo comerlo, antes de que vengas y me lo arrebates.-¿Por qué diablos harías un plato y pretender comerlo? ¿Te gusta hacerme enojar?-No, Ángel. Me gusta hacerte el desayuno."
Author: Kirsty Moseley
34. "I wait for him to say the words, I'm done pretending."
Author: Krista Ritchie
35. "I kept pretending to sleep. This was hard, the trailing touch at my underwear felt good.Hi fingers went into my hair at the back of my head. "Babe wake up."Hmm.I couldn't ignore him much longer, he would think I was dead."
Author: Kristen Ashley
36. "When someone is crying, of course, the noble thing to do is to comfort them. But if someone is trying to hide their tears, it may also be noble to pretend you do not notice them."
Author: Lemony Snicket
37. "He taunted me, "Pony boy, pony boy," because I liked ponies. Pony boy. He always came to vent his anger of dragons on me. They must really like us. They hide behind their Wasp Queen and pretend to hate us dragons, but in truth they love us. Why else would they bother with fucking us? That sentence probably turned you off. Thing is, I'm a very vulgar boy.-Chance Karrucci (the Sweet Dragon)"
Author: L'Poni Baldwin
38. "It is not new or unusual for the real Americans, meaning those immigrants who came to America a little bit longer ago, to fear the outsiders, the pretenders, the newcomers."
Author: Luis Gutierrez
39. "I punished myself and avoided my reflection in mirrors and any windows. I would see myself reflected back, and I would look away, trying to pretend I didn't exist, because I hated myself so much."
Author: Margaret Cho
40. "If you pretend he's perfect, it's just going to hurt more when you realize he's not."
Author: Marian Tee
41. "He wants to pretend this is all accidental, but for me it isn't a game. I haven't simply let it happen. I'm falling because I jumped, and not because I tripped."
Author: Megan Hart
42. "I smoke a cigarette, and pretend I'm normal. And I wish I was dead."
Author: Neil Gaiman
43. "I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend...I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle like fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend..."
Author: Neil Gaiman
44. "He [Ryan] narrowed his eyes. "You know, Dr. Jones, I don't think you're pretending to be thick. You just don't get it. Yes, I want to live in this house. It's a good spot to raise children. Look at that, you went white as a ghost. God, that's one of the things I love about you. You're always so shocked when someone interrupts the logic. And I love you, Miranda, beyond sense."
Author: Nora Roberts
45. "In our day the conventional element in literature is elaborately disguised by a law of copyright pretending that every work of art is an invention distinctive enough to be patented."
Author: Northrop Frye
46. "Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be."
Author: Orson Scott Card
47. "Oh,' she said, too bone-weary to pretend: 'I would far rather that I love you as I saw yesterday I do than that I had gone on worshiping you as I did not long since.' And she turned away hastily, and did not see that Little John would reach out to her; and half-running, went to Tuck's cottage, where she could pull on her half-dry clothes, and become a proper outlaw again. At least, she thought, fighting back tears, like this I am Cecil, with a place among friends, and a task to do. I am someone. I wonder if perhaps if I am no longer Cecil, I am no one at all."
Author: Robin McKinley
48. "Flattery in courtship is the highest insolence, for whilst it pretends to bestow on you more than you deserve, it is watching an opportunity to take from you what you really have."
Author: Sarah Fielding
49. "I can't pretend to be enjoying this. I can't pretend I'm enjoying going out there and playing this style."
Author: Tiffeny Milbrett
50. "Nothing, brother. Everything's about nothing. You know that, but you prefer to pretend otherwise. We both do."
Author: William T. Vollmann
Quotes About Pretend Pictures