Famous Quotes About Purposes
Browse 379 famous quotes and sayings about Purposes.
Top Quotes About Purposes
1. "[...] what Ruskin judged to be the twin purposes of art: to make sense of pain and to fathom the sources of beauty."
Author: Alain De Botton
2. "I usually do one con a year as a GoH and try to make the World Fantasy Convention for business purposes. Last year I went to a worldcon for the first time in two decades. I may go again this year."
Author: Alan Dean Foster
3. "A physical shortcoming could produce a kind of mental excess. The process, it seemed, was reversible. Mental excess could produce, for its own purposes, the voluntary blindness and deafness of deliberate solitude, the artificial impotence of asceticism."
Author: Aldous Huxley
4. "Then as now, whatever disagreements over policies existed among Americans - and there were many such bitter policy disputes - the purposes and goals for which Americans fought were clearly understood."
Author: Allen Weinstein
5. "Those pizzas I ate were for medicinal purposes."
Author: Amy Neftzger
6. "Emotions serve characters' purposes. That is their motivation."
Author: Ang Lee
7. "Your liberals and radicals all want to govern. They want to try it their way-- to show that people will be happier if the power is wielded in a different way or for different purposes. But how do they know? Have they ever tried it? No, it's merely their guess."
Author: B.F. Skinner
8. "The key to good grilling is to recognize that you are setting yourself up to cook in a whole new environment. This is actually one of the main purposes of grilling - to get yourself outside."
Author: Barton Seaver
9. "God hostage to an unanswered question, something we don't understand, like a healing that doesn't come, and will not obey until he answers. I don't have the right to do that. My responsibility is to obey, to surrender my heart and to yield myself to the will of God. It is in the process of obedience that we gain understanding. You can't get the peace that passes understanding until you give up your right to understand. There is something that happens in the heart of a person that just says, ‘God, I want what you want. I want to see your Kingdom come. I want to see your purposes worked out in the earth. I"
Author: Bill Johnson
10. "He and the second wife must have made a very close, self-contained unit--two people moving through life as if in a thinly membraned bubble, venturing out separately for practical purposes but neither of them whole unless they were together. People who didn't need many friends or outside activities, who found complete fulfillment in each other."
Author: Bill Pronzini
11. "Certainly being in California has encouraged a sustained commitment to rethinking the nature, purposes, and relevance of the contemporary arts, specifically music, for a society which by and large seems to manage quite well without them."
Author: Brian Ferneyhough
12. "What was true of an ancient community of Christian believers struggling with a powerful and appealing philosophy is also true for Christians in a postmodern context. Arguments that deconstruct the regimes of truth at work in the late modern culture of global capitalism are indispensable. So also is a deeper understanding of the counterideological force of the biblical tradition. But such arguments are no guarantee that the biblical metanarrative will not be co-opted for ideological purposes of violent exclusion, nor do arguments prove the truth of the gospel. Only the nonideological, embracing, forgiving and shalom-filled life of a dynamic Christian community formed by the story of Jesus will prove the gospel to be true and render the idolatrous alternatives fundamentally implausible."
Author: Brian J. Walsh
13. "I practice neither black nor white magic.What I do is a technology that I use for my own individual purposes. I don't strive to be a member of a club."
Author: Christopher Rankin
14. "Fashion has two purposes: comfort and love. Beauty comes when fashion succeeds."
Author: Coco Chanel
15. "Educators are still spending way too much time trying to control what kids learn, bending the content to their own purposes, hoping beyond hope to change - by using technology - but not change too much."
Author: Daniel Greenberg
16. "If we've deluded ourselves into thinking that our angry mass emails or conversation-stopping talking points serve as a ministry or carry out the purposes of God, we need to slow down and take a breath."
Author: David Dark
17. "Stories serve multiple purposes. At a basic level they are great entertainment, which is essential for living a happy and healthy life, but on a deeper level stories help us explore issues that are otherwise difficult to address. On one hand a good book helps us escape our troubles, and on the other hand it can help us face up to those troubles by bringing real issues to the fore, often in a more manageable way, since the problems are experienced vicariously through the eyes of another."
Author: Dean F. Wilson
18. "My publishers are wonderful because they have let me write what I wanted to. They're wise enough to know that, with any author who's not simply writing formulas - who's trying to create something new - pressuring them to do something for market purposes almost always backfires. I can't imagine working under those circumstances, actually."
Author: Elizabeth Kostova
19. "We have all cherished our life purposes. We have forecast our futures as likely to lie in a certain direction and have dearly desired that it should be so. When hindrances have been put in our way and when we have met with strong opposition and rebuff, we have still clung to our hope. Only very slowly have we yielded and accepted the inevitable. To renounce it has been like tearing out our heart. Not till long years have passed have we realized that the Lord's plan was much wiser and grander that our own. Then suddenly we have awakened to discover that while we were desiring to do one thing, God was leading us to do another and that what we have counted secondary was primary, for His glory, and for the lasting satisfaction of our own heart."
Author: F.B. Meyer
20. "The more a person learns how to use the forces of nature for his own purposes, by means of perfecting the sciences and the invention and improvement of machines, the more he will produce."
Author: Friedrich List
21. "We cannot justify treating any sentient nonhuman as our property, as a resource, as a thing that we an use and kill for our purposes."
Author: Gary L. Francione
22. "To have united the purposes of an entire Nation, is the great historical achievement of the man in whose strong hands our President has placed the fate of our people."
Author: Gustav Krupp
23. "As China is about adaptation, not transformation, it is unlikely to change the world dramatically should it ever assume the global driver's seat. But this does not mean that China won't exploit that world for its own purposes."
Author: Ivan Krastev
24. "If you are charged with this responsibility of enhancing interrogations, or using soldiers to enhance interrogations to find Saddam, and you're above the law for all practical purposes, you might try some unusual techniques. Now we know that, in fact, they did."
Author: Janis Karpinski
25. "I was born on a Thursday, hence the name. My brother was born on a Monday and they called him Anton--go figure. My mother was called Wednesday, but was born on a Sunday--I don't know why--and my father had no name at all--his identity and existence had been scrubbed by the ChronoGuard after he went rogue. To all intents and purposes he didn't exist at all. It didn't matter. He was always Dad to me..."
Author: Jasper Fforde
26. "Great countries need to secure their border for national security purposes, for economic purposes and for rule of law purposes."
Author: Jeb Bush
27. "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Author: Jeff Cooper
28. "Demons, werewolves, zombies--they're all supposed to be for entertainment purposes only."
Author: Jen Naumann
29. "I now see my life, not as a slow shaping of achievment to fit my preconceived purposes, but as the gradual discovery of a purpose which I did not know."
Author: Joanna Field
30. "In real life, espionage and sex have so little to do with one another that for all practical purposes they could be married."
Author: John Alejandro King
31. "...Food serves two parallel purposes: it nourishes and it helps you remember. Eating and storytelling are inseparable—the saltwater is also tears; the honey not only tastes sweet, but makes us think of sweetness; the matzo is the bread of our affliction."
Author: Jonathan Safran Foer
32. "The nearer a person approaches the Lord, a greater power will be manifested by the adversary to prevent the accomplishment of His purposes."
Author: Joseph Smith Jr.
33. "Teach your students real-world writing purposes, add a teacher who models his or her struggles with the writing process, throw in lots of real-world mentor texts for students to emulate, and give our kids the time necessary to enable them to stretch as writers."
Author: Kelly Gallagher
34. "The bill would ban human cloning, and any attempts at human cloning, for both reproductive purposes and medical research. Also forbidden is the importing of cloned embryos or products made from them."
Author: Ken Calvert
35. "Terrorism n.Violence for political purposes or the politically motivated threat of violence which, either intentionally or unintentionally, challenges the state's monopoly on political violence."
Author: Leslie Starr O'Hara
36. "For our purposes as human beings, the mind is the center of everything."
Author: Marilynne Robinson
37. "As the unity of the modern world becomes increasingly a technological rather than a social affair, the techniques of the arts provide the most valuable means of insight into the real direction of our own collective purposes."
Author: Marshall McLuhan
38. "...they make us dependent on a social system that exploits our energies for its own purposes. ...If a person learns to enjoy and find meaning in the ongoing stream of experience, in the process of living itself, the burden of social controls automatically falls from one's shoulders."
Author: Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
39. "Even for practical purposes theory generally turns out the most important thing in the end."
Author: Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
40. "Not a day went by that he didn't think of that moment of impact, and when he watched, helplessly, as his son died in his arms. For all intents and purposes, he died too. Jeb Richardson sealed his heart that day; he closed his mind. He cursed god, gave up on his dreams, and turned away from love altogether."
Author: Patricia Cori
41. "Yes; we have a specific procedure which we follow in all cases where the Agency is in contact, for the purposes of acquiring intelligence or whatever the case may be, with an individual."
Author: Richard M. Helms
42. "I laugh for sheer medicinal purposes; because I feel I might die otherwise."
Author: Richelle E. Goodrich
43. "The Bible was not written for entertainment purposes, so it's a real hodgepodge and a compendium of all kinds of stuff."
Author: Robert Crumb
44. "Instead of stubbornly attempting to use surrealism for purposes of subversion, it is necessary to try to make of surrealism something as solid, complete and classic as the works of museums."
Author: Salvador Dalí
45. "Since I became a knitting humor writer, I seem to be understood a little better - at least for the purposes of social discourse."
Author: Stephanie Pearl McPhee
46. "Semi-automatics have only two purposes. One is so owners can take them to the shooting range once in awhile, yell yeehaw, and get all horny at the rapid fire and the burning vapor spurting from the end of the barrel. Their other use – their only other use – is to kill people"
Author: Stephen King
47. "I'm into music for all different sorts of purposes."
Author: Tom Jenkinson
48. "Carnal embrace is sexual congress, which is the insertion of the male genital organ into the female genital organ for purposes of procreation and pleasure. Fermat's last theorem, by contrast, asserts that when x, y and z are whole numbers each raised to power of n, the sum of the first two can never equal the third when n is greater than 2."
Author: Tom Stoppard
49. "There are well established and easily understood historical reasons why every legitimate influence should be brought to bear on the removal of this roadblock from the pathway of normal human advancement. This must be done for the sake of the Homo-Marxian as well as the rest of humanity. He is the victim of a man-made experiment, trapped in his own self-perpetuating cycle of human negation. As long as free men are the prevailing majority in the earth there is a very good chance of breaking this cycle. To do so, however, free men must achieve an intelligent and dynamic solidarity at least as strong as the illusory but firmly fixed purposes of Homo-Marxian."
Author: W. Cleon Skousen
50. "If he who employs coercion against me could mould me to his purposes by argument, no doubt he would. He pretends to punish me because his argument is strong; but he really punishes me because his argument is weak."
Author: William Godwin
Quotes About Purposes Pictures