Famous Quotes About Redeem
Browse 317 famous quotes and sayings about Redeem.
Top Quotes About Redeem
1. "Only the redeemed have the ability to like what God likes and to be pleased with what pleases God."
Author: A.W. Tozer
2. "I waste so much time sleeping. And time is of all losses the most irrecuperable, for it can never be redeemed."
Author: Alison Weir
3. "Alas! a woman that attempts the pen,Such an intruder on the rights of men,Such a presumptuous Creature, is esteem'd,The fault, can by no virtue be redeem'd."
Author: Anne Finch
4. "You cannot mend the chromosome, quell the earthquake, or stanch the flood. You cannot atone for the dead tyrants' murders and you alone cannot stop living tyrants. As Martin Buber saw it, the world of ordinary days "affords" us that precise association with god that redeems both us and our speck of world. God entrusts and allots to everyone an area to redeem: this creased and feeble life, "the world in which you live, just as it is, and not otherwise." "Insofar as he cultivates and enjoys them in holiness, he frees their souls…he who prays and sings in holiness, eats and speaks in holiness…through him the sparks which have fallen will be uplifted, and the worlds which have fallen will be delivered and renewed."
Author: Annie Dillard
5. "Love is my foundationWisdom is my capitalStruggle is my mannerTruth is my redeemerSorrow is my companionLove is my foundation"
6. "I will buy you back with My blood because I love you. I will free you from the chains of sin. I will settle the conflict within and give peace to your soul. But you must come to Me with a repentant heart. You must be willing to be redeemed. You must exchange your sin-blackened heart for a new heart that is cleansed by My blood."
Author: Billy Graham
7. "Some are filled with a compelling urge, a temptation that recycles in the mind, perhaps to become a habit, then an addiction. We are prone to some transgression and sin and also a rationalization that we have no guilt because we were born that way. We become trapped, and hence comes the pain and torment that only the Savior can heal. You have the power to stop and to be redeemed."
Author: Boyd K. Packer
8. "If tribulation is a necessary element in redemption, we must anticipate that it will never cease till God sees the world to be either redeemed or no further redeemable."
Author: C.S. Lewis
9. "Redeemed humanity is still young, it has hardly come to its full strength. But already there is joy enough in the little finger of a great saint such as yonder lady to waken all the dead things of the universe into life."
Author: C.S. Lewis
10. "If you want witnesses then I am one and I can tell you now, when you say that he redeemed the world, I will say that it was not worth it. It was not worth it."
Author: Colm Tóibín
11. "Postmodern irony and cynicism's become an end in itself, a measure of hip sophistication and literary savvy. Few artists dare to try to talk about ways of working toward redeeming what's wrong, because they'll look sentimental and naive to all the weary ironists. Irony's gone from liberating to enslaving. ... The postmodern founders' patricidal work was great, but patricide produces orphans, and no amount of revelry can make up for the fact that writers my age have been literary orphans throughout our formative years."
Author: David Foster Wallace
12. "On an individual level, the human condition changed day by day, even hour by hour, and while you were soaking in self-pity over a misfortune, you might miss an opportunity for a redeeming triumph. And for every act of inhumanity, the species managed to committ a hundred acts of kindness; so if you were the type to brood, you would be more sensible if you dwelt on the remarkable goodwill with which most people treated others even in a society where the cultural elites routinely mocked virtue and celebrated brutality.BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOONChapter 5"
Author: Dean Koontz
13. "If we want to be Christians, we must have some share in Christ's large-heartedness by acting with responsibility and in freedom when the hour of danger comes, and by showing a real sympathy that springs, not from fear , but from the liberating and redeeming love of Christ for all who suffer. Mere waiting and looking on is not Christian behavior. The Christian is called to sympathy and action, not in the first place by his own sufferings, but by the sufferings of his brethren, for whose sake Christ suffered."
Author: Dietrich Bonhoeffer
14. "Jesus did not die to increase our self-esteem. Rather, Jesus died to bring glory to the Father by redeeming people from the curse of sin."
Author: Edward T. Welch
15. "We want to avoid suffering, death, sin, ashes. But we live in a world crushed and broken and torn, a world God Himself visited to redeem. We receive his poured-out life, and being allowed the high privilege of suffering with Him, may then pour ourselves out for others."
Author: Elisabeth Elliot
16. "And the remainder of the Message details God's intricate and loving plan to redeem, restore, and reconcile creation back to himself after what happened in Genesis 3."
Author: Eugene H. Peterson
17. "Some cannot loosen their own chains and can nonetheless redeem their friends."
Author: Friedrich Nietzsche
18. "Love is such a priceless treasure that you can redeem the whole world by it, and expiate not only your own sins but the sins of others."
Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
19. "The mission of Jesus brought not a new teaching but a new event. It brought to people an actual foretaste of the eschatological salvation. Jesus did not promise the forgiveness of sins; he bestowed it. He did not simple assure people of the future fellowship of the Kingdom; he invited them into fellowship with himself as the bearer of the Kingdom. He did not merely promise them vindication in the day of judgment; he bestowed upon them the status of a present righteousness. He not only taught an eschatological deliverance from physical evil; he went about demonstrating the redeeming power of the Kingdom, delivering people from sickness and even death."
Author: George Eldon Ladd
20. "Pain redeems all. It is the awareness of life, a reminder of death."
Author: Jacqueline Carey
21. "But that is the nature of true grace and spiritual light, that it opens to a person's view the infinite reason there is that he should be holy in a high degree. And the more grace he has, and the more this is opened to view, the greater sense he has of the infinite excellency and glory of the divine Being, and of the infinite dignity of the person of Christ, and the boundless length and breadth and depth and height of the love of Christ to sinners. And as grace increases, the field opens more and more to a distant view, until the soul is swallowed up with the vastness of the object, and the person is astonished to think how much it becomes him to love this God and this glorious Redeemer that has so loved man, and how little he does love. And so the more he apprehends, the more the smallness of his grace and love appears strange and wonderful: and therefore he is more ready to think that others are beyond him."
Author: Jonathan Edwards
22. "What will my redeemer be like? I wonder. Will he be a bull or a man? Will he perhaps be a bull with the face of a man? Or will he be like me?"
Author: Jorge Luis Borges
23. "The multitude of men and women choose the less adventurous way of the comparatively unconscious civic and tribal routines. But these seekers, too, are saved—by virtue of the inherited symbolic aids of society, the rites of passage, the grace-yielding sacraments, given to mankind of old by the redeemers and handed down through millenniums. It is only those who know neither an inner call nor an outer doctrine whose plight truly is desperate; that is to say, most of us today, in this labyrinth without and within the heart. Alas, where is the guide, that fond virgin, Ariadne, to supply the simple clue that will give us courage to face the Minotaur, and the means then to find our way to freedom when the monster has been met and slain?"
Author: Joseph Campbell
24. "But what is the sense in forever speculating what might have happened had such and such a moment turned out differently? One could presumably drive oneself to distraction in this way. In any case, while it is all very well to talk of 'turning points', one can surely only recognize such moments in retrospect. Naturally, when one looks back to such instances today, they may indeed take the appearance of being crucial, precious moments in one's life; but of course, at the time, this was not the impression one had. Rather, it was as though one had available a never-ending number of days, months, years in which to sort out the vagaries of one's relationship with Miss Kenton; an infinite number of further opportunities in which to remedy the effect of this or that misunderstanding. There was surely nothing to indicate at the time that such evidently small incidents would render whole dreams forever irredeemable."
Author: Kazuo Ishiguro
25. "Anyhow, there'll be plenty of jam in heaven, that's one comfort, he said complacently.Perhaps there will...if we want it, she said, But what makes you think so?Why, it's in the catechism, said Davy.Oh, no, there is nothing like that in the catechism, Davy.But I tell you there is, persisted Davy. It was in that question Marilla taught me last Sunday. Why should we love God? It says, Because he makes preserves, and redeems us. Preserves is just a holy way of saying jam."
Author: L.M. Montgomery
26. "Seeking wholeness is a contradiction in terms; wholeness is an implicit possession of our being. As guardians of our wellbeing, we must rise above human constructs of being that are incompatible with our intended design. Acceptance of this redeemed thinking—as a regulating factor in life—is liberating, and what remains is the highest form of integrity."
Author: LaShaun Middlebrooks Collier
27. "You speak Arabic? Tell him my name is Infidel Redeemed by Christ."
Author: Lili Tufel
28. "I'm messy and a slob and I like beer a little too much. I work long hours and I like to be outside more than inside. I'm restless and reckless, and yes, I admit, a pervert. Upon occasion. But I love you. I've never loved anyone like I love you, Sara. Never will. I want to be with you until I take my last breath, and even when I take my last breath, I want it to be next to you. Please. Redeem my selfish soul and make it better, make me better. Say you'll be my wife."
Author: Lindy Zart
29. "The feeling was not of being attractive precisely, but rather of not having to entertain. It was breathtaking: to be ensconced in another person's company, yet to be relieved of the relentless minute-by-minute obligation to redeem one's existence - for there is some sense in which socially we are all on the Late Show, grinning, throwing off nervous witticisms, and crossing our legs, as a big hook behind the curtains lurks in the wings."
Author: Lionel Shriver
30. "The real unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, without anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future.But the crimes they hope to prevent in that future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present - they are real."
Author: Lois McMaster Bujold
31. "God is the Lord of human history and of the personal history of every member of His redeemed family."
Author: Margaret Clarkson
32. "Fiction is the only way to redeem the formlessness of life"
Author: Martin Amis
33. "We can be redeemed only to the extent to which we see ourselves."
Author: Martin Buber
34. "For what reason then do the realists show themselves so unfriendly toward philosophy? Because they misunderstand their own calling and with all their might want to remain restricted instead of becoming unrestricted! Why do they hate abstractions? Because they themselves are abstract since they abstract from the perfection of themselves, from the elevation of redeeming truth!"
Author: Max Stirner
35. "Loss doesn't feel redeemable. But for me one consoling aspect is the recognition that, in this at least, none of us is different from anyone else: We all lose loved ones; we all face our own death."
Author: Meghan O'Rourke
36. "Let us say plainly: the unredeemed state of the world consists precisely in the failure to understand the meaning of creation, in the failure to recognize truth; as a result, the rule of pragmatism is imposed, by which the strong arm of the powerful becomes the god of this world."
Author: Pope Benedict XVI
37. "Anything seemed possible, likely, feasible, because I wanted everything to be possible... Because I had no power to make things happen outside of me in the objective world, I made things happen within. Because my environment was bare and bleak, I endowed it with unlimited potentialities, redeemed it for the sake of my own hungry and cloudy yearning."
Author: Richard Wright
38. "I knew that I lived in a country in which the aspirations of black people were limited, marked-off. Yet I felt that I had to go somewhere and do something to redeem my being alive."
Author: Richard Wright
39. "I hope I redeemed myself with the whole dancing-sex comparison.""I suppose there were a couple of notable similarities," I observed, holding a straight face."A couple? What about attention to detail, heavy exertion, lots of sweat, and single-minded determinedness to get the job done and done well?""Mostly I was thinking you just don't talk during sex." Mean perhaps, but I couldn't resist."Well, my mouth has better things to do."I swallowed, my own mouth dry. "Are we still talking about dancing?"
Author: Richelle Mead
40. "Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost."
Author: Robert A. Heinlein
41. "Jesus never described the gospel as an exchange of this current world for a remote spiritual retreat far away. Never. Rather, his gospel was: "God's kingdom is here! It has arrived! It is now! Heaven has come to earth!" So when Jesus invited his disciples – then as well as now – to "Follow me," he was inviting them to get in on the world-redeeming, evil-conquering, status-reversing, life-transforming movement of God that had invaded planet Earth."
Author: Ronnie McBrayer
42. "Forget not, O Lord, that I am one of those whom Thou hast created, and with Thine own blood hast redeemed. I repent me of my sins: I will strive to amend my ways."
Author: Saint Ambrose
43. "Being in love isn't the only way of loving. I realized with all my being that if you loved somebody- it didn't matter who it was- and dedicated yourself to bringing joy to your loved one, you, too, would be redeemed."
Author: Sayo Masuda
44. "I was never one to run away from trouble - I intend to continue to fight my corner and try to redeem our reputation in some way. It's very difficult when you see the PR campaign that Anglo have built up against us. A lot of the media would be very anti-Quinn and have fallen hook, line and sinker for the Anglo story where they are the good guys."
Author: Sean Quinn
45. "I had a dozen years to act before starting a family, then found that motherhood dwarfed everything else. Once or twice a year, I take a project that appeals to me for its redeeming social value."
Author: Sissy Spacek
46. "God, my God, omnipotent King, I humbly adore thee. Thou art King of kings, Lord of lords. Thou art the Judge of every age. Thou art the Redeemer of souls. Thou art the Liberator of those who believe. Thou art the Hope of those who toil. Thou art the Comforter of those in sorrow. Thou art the Way to those who wander. Thou art Master to the nations. Thou art the Creator of all creatures. Thou art the Lover of all good. Thou art the Prince of all virtues. Thou art the joy of all Thy saints. Thou art life perpetual. Thou art joy in truth. Thou art the exultation in the eternal fatherland. Thou art the Light of light. Thou art the Fountain of holiness. Thou art the glory of God the Father in the height. Thou art Savior of the world. Thou art the plenitude of the Holy Spirit. Thou sittest at the right hand of God the Father on the throne, reigning for ever."
Author: St. Patrick
47. "Although your past has been painful devastating or cruel God has promised to be a Restorer and a Redeemer. He says He will "give us gladness in proportion to our former misery " and "replace the evil years with good"."
Author: Sue Augustine
48. "And throughout all EternityI forgive you, you forgive me.As our dear Redeemer said:"This the Wine, and this the Bread."
Author: William Blake
49. "We will not bend or fail until the blood of every last Jew from the youngest child to the oldest elder is spilt to redeem our land!"
Author: Yasser Arafat
50. "I created you in my own image to make for myself a glorious name. You were clean at the beginning, but you defiled yourselves with sins and became sons of the darkness. However, I am gracious and compassionate. I will redeem my people and establish my kingdom. The earth will be filled with the knowledge of my glory, as the waters cover the sea."
Author: Zhang Yun
Quotes About Redeem Pictures