Famous Quotes About Resisted
Browse 105 famous quotes and sayings about Resisted.
Top Quotes About Resisted
1. "I've always resisted the idea of becoming a David Hasselhoff, and I hope I'm still resisting it."
Author: Anthony Head
2. "And therefore to-day is thrillingWith a past day's late fulfilling;And the multitudes are enlistedIn the faith that their fathers resisted,And, scorning the dream of to-morrow,Are bringing to pass, as they may,In the world, for its joy or its sorrow,The dream that was scorned yesterday."
Author: Arthur O'Shaughnessy
3. "A 'god' who's will is resisted, designs frustrated, and purpose checkmated, possesses no title to Deity."
Author: Arthur W. Pink
4. "Sometimes after dinner, he would walk into the woods that began behind the house. He would stretch down on the ground on his stomach, his elbows, planted before him, his hands propping his chin and he would watch the patterns of veins on the green blades of grass under his face, he would blow at them and watch the blades tremble then stop again. He would roll over on his back and lie still, feeling the warmth of the earth under him. Far above, the leaves were still green as if the color were condensed in the last effort before the dusk coming to dissolve it. The leaves hung without motion against a sky of polished lemon yellow, its luminous pallor emphasized that its light was failing. He pressed his hips, his back into the earth under him, the earth resisted, but it gave way; it was a silent victory; he felt a dim, sensuous pleasure in the muscles of his legs."
Author: Ayn Rand
5. "No you don't," he said. "The corpses can wait."I wasn't sure if he was referring to me or the screen. I would've asked him to clarify but, Jack's lips were suddenly very busy moving against Nikki's. I resisted the urge to dry-heave and looked up at the sky, the trees, the buses anywhere that wouldn't trigger the upchuck reflex. Jack needed to learn some manners. Damn epic love."
Author: Brodi Ashton
6. "Wow," I said, since it was all I could think of to say. "Wow. That's some outfit." When you've got a big guy wearing Lycra it doesn't leave a whole lot to the imagination. I resisted the temptation to ask Eric to turn around."I don't believe I could be convincing as a queen," Eric said, "but I decided this sent such a mixed signal, almost anything was possible." He fluttered his eyelashes at me. Eric was definitely enjoying this."Oh, yes," I said, trying to find somewhere else to look. (Living Dead in Dallas)"
Author: Charlaine Harris
7. "Sitting cross-legged on her bed, I watch her take out her gear. She's been smoking so much the room stinks of it. Over the last few weeks, I've seen her do it so often I've resisted the urge. It's surreal, like I'm watching me from outside my body. My willpower is fragile at the best of times, but my resolve is always weaker in the evening.I feel a dread and a revulsion for what I'm about to do, but there's a stronger feeling, an unutterable longing. I crack.‘Give us a line,' I say."
Author: Christine Lewry
8. "Later on, when I tried to imagine how I might have ruined things, that would occur to me - that I'd so rarely resisted, that I hadn't made it hard enough for him. Maybe it was like gathering your strength and hurling your body against a door you believe to be locked, and then the door opens easily - it wasn't locked at all - and you're standing looking into the room, trying to remember what it was you thought you wanted."
Author: Curtis Sittenfeld
9. "I resisted the film business as long as I could, because of the big circus act and the amount of money that it costs to make films - I saw my father suffer through that."
Author: Danny Huston
10. "Now it turns out that a few broadsheet film critics in Britain do indeed belong to a category of people who would have resisted Hitler when he came to power. So the great shame is, clearly film critics should have been running Austria at the time, because Hitler would have represented no problem to them at all. [The Guardian's] Peter Bradshaw would have known exactly what to do, and he would not have been remotely fallible to any Nazi who threatened his life. No, he would have died in heroic acts of individual resistance. So it's a privilege to live among people who enjoy such moral certainty."
Author: David Hare
11. "Happiness is a continuation of happenings which are not resisted."
Author: Deepak Chopra
12. "If I'd known it would be that good, I might not have resisted for so long."
Author: Delilah S. Dawson
13. "Mum said earlier what a lovely dress you're wearing."Beryl's eyebrows wriggled like two tiny tapeworms. "This?" she said. "But I've had this for years."It was a beige dress that would have looked better on an eighty year-old. Any eighty-year-old, man or woman."I think you've really grown into it," Valkyrie said."I always thought it was a little shapeless."Valkyrie resisted the urge to say that was what she meant."
Author: Derek Landy
14. "Valkyrie walked over to her. Since she had met her, all she'd wanted to do was punch her face in. But that was when Kitana has been big and powerful and brimming with murderous arrogance. The girl standing before her now, crying and blubbing like any teenage girl would do under these circumstances, was not the same girl Valkyrie had wanted to punch. But she'd do. Valkyrie's fist connected with such a satisfying jolt that it actually made her smile as Kitana fell sideways, eyes already rolling in her head. Valkyrie resisted the urge to kick her as she lay crumpled.Such behaviour would be unbecoming of a Sanctuary detective."
Author: Derek Landy
15. "So never give in," continued the girl, and restated again and again the vague yet convincing plea that the Invisible lodges against the Visible. Her excitement grew as she tried to cut the rope that fastened Leonard to the earth. Woven of bitter experience, it resisted her. Presently the waitress entered and gave her a letter from Margaret. Another note, addressed to Leonard, was inside. They read them, listening to the murmurings of the river."
Author: E.M. Forster
16. "He was back at the point of departure, at the place that filled writers with dread and excitement, for this was where they must decide which new story to tackle of the many floating in the air, which plot to bind themselves to for a lengthy period; and they had to choose carefully, study each option calmly...because there were dangerous stories, stories that resisted being inhabited, and stories that pulled you apart while you were writing them...At that moment, before reverently committing the first word to paper, he could write anything he wanted, and this fired his blood with a powerful sense of freedom, as wonderful as it was fleeting, for he knew it would vanish the moment he chose one story and sacrificed all the others."
Author: Félix J. Palma
17. "It is a matter for considerable regret that Fermat, who cultivated the theory of numbers with so much success, did not leave us with the proofs of the theorems he discovered. In truth, Messrs Euler and Lagrange, who have not disdained this kind of research, have proved most of these theorems, and have even substituted extensive theories for the isolated propositions of Fermat. But there are several proofs which have resisted their efforts."
18. "She felt so old, so worn out, so far away from the best moments of her life that she even yearned for those that she remembered as the worst… Her heart of compressed ash, which had resisted the most telling blows of daily reality without strain, fell apart with the first waves of nostalgia. The need to feel sad was becoming a vice as the years eroded her. She became human in her solitude."
Author: Gabriel García Márquez
19. "We found, before the hands of the dial had taught us the lapse of a week, that this would be something not to be endured. The sun sank lower every day behind the crags and silvery horns; the heavens grew to wear a hue of violet, almost black, and yet unbearably dazzling; as the notes of our voices fell upon the atmosphere they assumed a metallic tone, as if the air itself had become frozen from the beginning of the world and they tinkled against it; our sufferings had mounted in their intensity till they were too great to be resisted."
Author: Harriet Prescott Spofford
20. "New ideas are always resisted."
Author: Henning Mankell
21. "The last Shah's father, Reza Shah, made the chador for women and the turban for men illegal in the mid 1930's...In the 1930's women had their chadors forcibly removed from their heads if they dared wear them and were sometimes beaten as well if they resisted."
Author: Hooman Majd
22. "The breath of wind that moved them was still chilly on this day in May; the flowers gently resisted, curling up with a kind of trembling grace and turning their pale stamens towards the ground. The sun shone through them, revealing a pattern of interlacing, delicate blue veins, visible through the opaque petals; this added something alive to the flower's fragility, to it's ethereal quality, something almost human ,in the way that human can mean frailty and endurance both at the same time. The wind could ruffle these ravishing creations but it couldn't destroy them, or even crush them; they swayed there, dreamily; they seemed ready to fall but held fast to their slim strong branches-..."
Author: Irène Némirovsky
23. "Jessie rummaged through her purse for the necessary equipment. If there were one thing, Baley had once said solemnly, that had resisted mechanical improvement since medieval times, it was a woman's purse."
Author: Isaac Asimov
24. "There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted."
Author: James Branch Cabell
25. "I resisted the urge to hurl my plate at him. "Of course not, Ian. It's just that normally at this hour, Bones and I are fucking like rabbits, so I get twitchy when I have to wait for him to climb aboard."
Author: Jeaniene Frost
26. "And somehow I had always resisted driving very slowly back and forth in front of his house. Willpower? No. I figured his front gate was equipped with security cameras and I would just be embarrassing myself. And this street was definitely not on the bus line."
Author: Jennifer Echols
27. "You are not yet out of reach of the gunshot of the Devil. You have not yet resisted unto death in your striving against sin. Let the Kingdom be always before you, and believe with certainty and consistency the things that are yet unseen. Let nothing that is on this side of eternal life get inside you. Above all, take care of your own hearts, and resist the lusts that tempt you, for your hearts `are deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked.'d Set your faces like a flint; you have all the power of Heaven and earth on your side."Christian"
Author: John Bunyan
28. "Though we run across exceptions, philosophical novels where explanation holds interest, the temptation to explain is one that should almost always be resisted. A good writer can get anything at all across through action and dialogue, and if he can think of no powerful reason to do otherwise, he should probably leave explanation to his reviewers and critics. The writer should especially avoid comment on what his characters are feeling, or at very least should be sure he understands the common objection summed up in the old saw "Show, don't tell."
Author: John Gardner
29. "Later, in her suite at the Stanhope, Ruth resisted calling Eddie. Besides, at the New York Athletic Club, they probably refused to answer the phone after a certain hour. Or else they would demand to know, when you called, if you were wearing a coat and tie."
Author: John Irving
30. "Fist Century Christians never aspired to be "relevant" or "contemporary" with their present day culture. In fact, they resisted the secular influence of the Roman Greco Empire even to the point of their own death. Today there is a movement at large attempting to "re-brand" Christianity. It is lead by those who see themselves as a new breed of Church ‘innovators" with a new approach to building Christ's Church by utilizing a combination of creative marketing techniques, corporate strategies, real estate development and personal development techniques. Amidst all the religious noise and board room business, I hear the sound of a movement underway, it's the sound of people determined to return to the Churches organic roots. People exhausted and wounded by the big corporate machine of religion, desperate for an authentic touch of Jesus. There is a NEW Church that it coming...it is a pure reflection of the very first one. Acts 2"
Author: John Paul Warren
31. "The perfect quote sprang to mind, but I resisted saying it under my breath, since Jonathan would hear. I couldn't even mouth the words, since for all I knew, he'd hear my lips moving. So I conjured up a vision of the Tin Man and let him say it for me in my head. "Now I know I've got a heart. I can feel it breaking."
Author: Jordan Castillo Price
32. "Not only did I avoid speaking of Salinger; I resisted thinking about him. I did not reread his letters to me. The experience had been too painful."
Author: Joyce Maynard
33. "He drew in a shaky breath. "How can you ask me to let you die?" he choked, still keeping the blade at the prince's throat. A thread of blood formed under the knife, and ran down to Ash's collar. "I'd do anything for you, Meghan. Just...not that. Not that."Gently, I reached up and closed my fingers around the knife hilt, easing it down and away from Ash's neck. Puck resisted for a moment, then stepped back with a sob. The dagger fell from his grip and clanged to the floor."
Author: Julie Kagawa
34. "And while national military forces have historically resisted the full participation of women soldiers, female talent has found plenty of scope in revolutionary and terrorist groups around the planet."
Author: Katherine Dunn
35. "Alex resisted the urge to throw Seb off the balcony and see if he could fly."
Author: L.a Weatherly
36. "Tell that to the BTK killer," I said. "He was a churchgoer, raised two kids, married, and resisted the urge to kill for decades. He was a person, but he was a monster, too"
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
37. "... for it is the small temptations which undermine integrity unless we watch and pray and never think them too trivial to be resisted."
Author: Louisa May Alcott
38. "I have resisted temptation for two and a half minutes at least: my redemption is sure."
Author: Malcolm Lowry
39. "The Lights..." said Norv the Raw, as if we might not have noticed.Before any further statements of the obvious could be made doors of gleaming steel started to slide down from recesses above every entrance above the Gilden Gate. The action accompanied by a squealing noise that set my teeth on edge, the sound of nails down Lundist's chalkboard."The doors..." said Norv. I resisted temptation to beat him around the head."
Author: Mark Lawrence
40. "Did you learn?"The face in the corner watched the flames. "I did." There was a considerable pause. "Until I was nine. At that age, my mother sold the music studio and stopped teaching. SHe kept only the one instrument but gave up on me not long after I resisted the learning. I was foolish.""No," Papa said. "You were a boy."
Author: Markus Zusak
41. "..did i think i was god that i had to lie and take it did i think then i was a mountain or a hill or a ridge and who told me that and who decided stones had no rights for stones can waste away from being denied from being abused and who decided who is the ploughed and who ploughs and why did i not get up and why not go away and what would have happened if i had resisted.."
Author: Marlene Van Niekerk
42. "?I did not understand how quickly one could fall in love, and I regarded almost as an affliction that one would eventually recover from. However, I now recognize that it is a force that reaches into every fiber of your body, and that it is something not to be resisted, but embraced."
Author: Mary Lydon Simonsen
43. "What had happened still seemed implausible. A person was present your entire life, and then one day she disappeared and never came back. It resisted belief."
Author: Meghan O'Rourke
44. "He knows that had he been a young man himself he would not have stopped at Peshawar: he doesn't know how he would have resisted entering Afghanistan. And not just for help and aid – he would have fought and defended with his arms. And, yes, had he been present in the United States of America back in September, he would have done all he could to save the blameless from dying in those attacked cities, partaken in their calamity.How not to ask for help these days – from others, from God – when it seems that one is surrounded by the destruction of the very idea of man?"
Author: Nadeem Aslam
45. "Maybe the first time you saw her you were ten. She was standing in the sun scratching her legs. Or tracing letters in the dirt with a stick. Her hair was being pulled. Or she was pulling someone's hair. And a part of you was drawn to her, and a part of you resisted--wanting to ride off on your bicycle, kick a stone, remain uncomplicated. In the same breath you felt the strength of a man, and a self-pity that made you feel small and hurt. Part of you thought: Please don't look at me. If you don't, I can still turn away. And part of you thought: Look at me."
Author: Nicole Krauss
46. "I am so fortunate to be red! I'm fiery. I'm strong. I know men take notice of me and that I cannot be resisted."
Author: Orhan Pamuk
47. "Any change is resisted because bureaucrats have a vested interest in the chaos in which they exist."
Author: Richard M. Nixon
48. "[From a May 1, 2004 article entitled "Still Up to Mischief" from The Guardian reporting on and quoting Altman]Still, it's worth noting that by the age of 20 this whistle- blower had resisted two of the most powerful institutions - church and army, both. He is an atheist, 'And I have been against all of these wars ever since."
Author: Robert Altman
49. "We should every night call ourselves to an account; What infirmity have I mastered today? What passions opposed? What temptation resisted? What virtue acquired? Our vices will abort of themselves if they be brought every day to the shrift."
50. "The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to."
Author: Thomas Jefferson
Quotes About Resisted Pictures