Famous Quotes About Respected
Browse 288 famous quotes and sayings about Respected.
Top Quotes About Respected
1. "I will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. It is not the Constitution as I would like to have it, but as it is, that is to be defended. The Constitution will not be preserved & defended until it is enforced & obeyed in every part of every one of the United States. It must be so respected, obeyed, enforced and defended, and let the grass grow where it may."
Author: Abraham Lincoln
2. "Dear and most respected bookcase! I welcome your existence, which has for over one hundred years been devoted to the radiant ideals of goodness and justice."
Author: Anton Chekhov
3. "A testimony is a testimony, and it should be respected, whether it is small or large."
Author: Boyd K. Packer
4. "Fame is one of the potential hazards of this job, but I really just want to make movies. I want to be respected, sure. Who doesn't? But famous-famous? I just don't care about it. And if you genuinely don't give a damn about that stuff, you really are free."
Author: Brady Corbet
5. "When I played, I never needed the spotlight, nor did I want it. I simply wanted to play baseball and be respected by my teammates and the opposing players."
Author: Bruce Sutter
6. "I always respected Neil Armstrong highly. He was probably the coolest under pressure of anyone I ever had the privilege of flying with. I never saw him flustered."
Author: Charles Duke
7. "Well said, forehead; your declaration shall be respected."
Author: Charlotte Brontë
8. "Age was respected among his people, but achievement was revered. As the elders said, if a child washed his hands he could eat with kings."
Author: Chinua Achebe
9. "Tzu Chang asked Confucius about jen. Confucius said, "If you can practice these five things with all the people, you can be called jen."Tzu Chang asked what they were.Confucius said, "Courtesy, generosity, honesty, persistence, and kindness.If you are courteous, you will not be disrespected; if you are generous, you will gain everything. If you are honest, people will rely on you. If you are persistent you will get results. If you are kind, you can employ people."
10. "He respected the power of faith, the benevolence of churches, the strength religion gave so many people . . . and yet, for him, the one intellectual suspension of disbelief that was imperative if one were truly going to "believe" had always proved too big an obstacle for his academic mind. "I want to believe," he heard himself say."
Author: Dan Brown
11. "Corrival looked around. 'So is this it? Is everyone here? Erskine, maybe you should start the ball rolling. I have places to go and things to do.''Me?' Ravel asked. 'Why do I have to start it? You're the most respected mage here. You start it, or Skulduggery.'Skulduggery shook his head. 'I can't start it. I don't like most of these people. I might start shooting."
Author: Derek Landy
12. "They, the women, were like the gargoyles, Mattie thought. Respected in words, but hidden from view of those who ran the city and managing to live in the darkness, in the secret interstices of life."
Author: Ekaterina Sedia
13. "Indeed! I am truly glad to hear it. I always always fond of Osborne; and, do you know, I never really took to Roger; I respected him and all that, of course. But to compare him with Mr. Henderson! Mr. Henderson is so handsome and well-bred, and gets all his gloves from Houbigant!"
Author: Elizabeth Gaskell
14. "If you respected someone, then you had to ask something of them."
Author: Eric Greitens
15. "If you spend your life sparing people's feelings and feeding their vanity, you get so you can't distinguish what should be respected in them."
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
16. "Now I feel like whatever I do, no one can hurt me. I cannot be violated, I cannot be humiliated, I cannot be disregarded, I cannot be disrespected."
Author: Fiona Apple
17. "Another is the paradox of charity or chivalry that the weaker a thing is the more it should be respected, that the more indefensible a thing is the more it should appeal to us for a certain kind of defence."
Author: G.K. Chesterton
18. "Well, I went through some emotionally abusive relationships and allowed myself to not be properly respected as a lady, as a human being even, though I tried everything I knew to be a lady."
Author: Gloria Gaynor
19. "My parents' work ethic amazed me. How could they put in such long hours, day after day?Part of the reason was to keep the family going - to keep me going. I realized that, although we had different values derived from different cultures and wouldn't agree on certain issues, they were good people, incredible people, and I loved and respected them."
Author: Harvey Pekar
20. "Young Surrey now lays down his knife and begins to complain. Noblemen, he laments, are not respected as they were in the days when England was great. The present king keeps about himself a collection of men of base degree, and no good will come of it. Cranmer creeps forward in his chair, as if to intervene, but Surrey gives him a glare that says, you're exactly who I mean, archbishop."
Author: Hilary Mantel
21. "I don't feel that rap has been respected as an art form. Because people have seen rappers rap off the top of their heads, they don't think it is difficult."
Author: Ice T
22. "Funny, he wasn't handsome, not in a Mr. Perfect kind of way, at least. The guy had a nose that had clearly been busted once or three times, and his hazel eyes were too shrewd and too exhausted to be classified as attractive. But he was like a cocked gun: He has a steely intelligence and a dangerous power about him that you respected. Because the combination was a flat-out killer, literally"
Author: J.R. Ward
23. "I'm a very sensitive person. I do like to be respected. I'm very loyal. I like it to be a two-way street."
Author: Jim Brown
24. "The screen came up to light again, showing a devastated section of the city grid. No, not decimated. Had that part of the city been decimated, one out of every ten buildings would be destroyed. That's what decimated means. Personally, I think some early-years, respected television personality got decimated and devastated confused at some point, and no one wanted to point it out to him, so everyone started using them interchangeably. But dammit, words mean what they mean, even if everyone thinks they ought to mean something else."
Author: Jim Butcher
25. "A horse perceives eye contact as provocative, as if it and its status in the herd are not being respected. If it cannot avoid eye contact, it will react in a different way, by rebelling for example. In dressage you don't get anywhere by not showing respect, however superior your species might be. Any animal trainer can tell you that. In the mountains in Argentina there's a wild horse which will jump off the nearest precipice if any human tries to ride it."
Author: Jo Nesbø
26. "In coming to that agreement, my party had a clear philosophy throughout. In Northern Ireland, we should have institutions that respected the differences of the people and that gave no victory to either side."
Author: John Hume
27. "For with dandies, a joke is the only way of making yourself respected."
Author: Jules Amédée Barbey D'Aurevilly
28. "I have respected women from the beginning of my life."
Author: Julio Iglesias
29. "Whether you are a twelve-year-old princess or a twelve-year-old regular kid, you need to know you are loved and respected."
Author: Kathryn Lasky
30. "I fell, as they say. Into love. I practiced saying it, first to myself, in my head. I believed in it. I did. I thought love and I bought it completely. I was excited by my belief but was careful not to let this excitement influence or manipulate the belief in any way. The belief had to be pure. So I said it to her, I love you, and she said it back. And this was our contract. We treated the words seriously and respected that they came with implications."
Author: Kyle Beachy
31. "I was aware of something stable in his nature. Ha game me a feeling of security, as if nothing I said or did would change his opinion of me. I never found his pleasantries irksome, partly, no doubt, because he was a Viscount, but, partly, too, because I respected his self-discipline. He had very little to laugh about, I thought, and yet he laughed. His gaiety had a background of the hospital and the battlefield. I felt he had some inner reserve of strength which no reverse, however serious, would break down."
Author: L.P. Hartley
32. "A female's body should be looked at and respected as something divine. At least, that was the original thought, but time marches on, and the sanctity of the sacred body is no longer sacred."
Author: Lionel Suggs
33. "I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good; to be admired, loved and respected; to have a happy youth; to be well and wisely married; and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send."
Author: Louisa May Alcott
34. "In countries other than Pakistan - I won't necessarily call them 'Western' - people support me. This is because people there respect others. They don't do this because I am a Pashtun or a Punjabi, a Pakistani, or an Iranian, they do it because of one's words and character. This is why I am being respected and supported there."
Author: Malala Yousafzai
35. "Many believers naively assume that real Christianity is alive and well and respected by the majority of our people. Brace yourself. It's an illusion."
Author: Mark Driscoll
36. "A public library is the most enduring of memorials, the trustiest monument for the preservation of an event or a name or an affection; for it, and it only, is respected by wars and revolutions, and survives them."[Letter to the Millicent (Rogers) Library, February 22, 1894]"
Author: Mark Twain
37. "It is better to be respected by few than to be feared by all"
38. "Socrates' fame spread all over Greece, and the most respected and educated men from all around came to him, in order to enjoy his friendly company and instruction."
Author: Moses Mendelssohn
39. "A good many of our higher-bracket businessmen might have been just as rich, just as powerful, but more respected and infinitely happier, if they had taken the slower and longer road of absolute ethical integrity and moral decency."
Author: Og Mandino
40. "We believed that it was most desirable that the North should win, we believed in the principle that the Union is indissoluable, we, or many of us at least, also believed that the conflict was inevitable, and that slavery had lasted long enough. But we equally believed that those who stood against us held just as sacred conviction that were the opposite of ours, and we respected them as every men with a heart must respect those who give all for their belief."
Author: Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
41. "Only in Russia poetry is respected--it gets people killed."
Author: Osip Mandelstam
42. "Provided the gods of Rome are given their due, it doesn't really matter to them whether their worshippers believe in them or not. Having taken part in the official rituals, a citizen is free to worship whatever other deities he pleases. Rom'es gods are there to be obeyed and respected, not loved, and they no more mind sacrifices to other deities than the taxman minds people paying other dues elsewhere. Dealing with the gods is an exchange of duties and mutual respect. Confessing a deep love for a particular god is superstitio and the person concerned is probably emotionally concerned."
Author: Philip Matyszak
43. "In the mass of mankind, I fear, there is too great a majority of fools and knaves; who, singly from their number, must to a certain degree be respected, though they are by no means respectable."
Author: Philip Stanhope
44. "You are respected till you have something needed by them or something they are jealous of..."
Author: Ranu Das
45. "The high road is always respected. Honesty and integrity are always rewarded."
Author: Scott Hamilton
46. "I like to be bought flowers and taken out for dinner. I like a man to be a gentleman. I don't like to be treated as if I am brainless. I like to be respected and to give respect."
Author: Sharon Stone
47. "I wonder what it was like to be an actor years ago. We're so respected now and I don't think it does us any good. We used to be vagabonds. I want to be a vagabond!"
Author: Sophie Thompson
48. "The meaning of man's life, as we have seen, is not measured by what he has, but by what he is. No matter how many possessions we have amassed, how much wealth we have accrued, how respected and secure our position is in society, how numerous the pieces of information we have accumulated, in moments of lucidity we may still abruptly perceive the dreadful futility of it all, the overwhelming emptiness and pointlessness of such a life."
Author: Stephen Batchelor
49. "Mr. Young hadn't had to quiet a screaming baby for years. H'ed never been much good at it to start with. He'd always respected Sir Winston Churchill, and patting small versions of him on the bottom had always seemed ungracious."
Author: Terry Pratchett
50. "In 1998, a year or two after I started skating, I saw Michelle Kwan at the Nagano Olympics. I liked her a lot. And I could remember every part of her performance. She was the world champion many times over a long period. And although not a gold medalist, there is no skater as respected and recognized as her. So I wanted to become someone like her."
Author: Yuna Kim
Quotes About Respected Pictures