Famous Quotes About Revenge In The Merchant Of Venice
Browse 28 famous quotes and sayings about Revenge In The Merchant Of Venice.
Top Quotes About Revenge In The Merchant Of Venice
1. "That night we made love "the real way" which we had not yet attemptedalthough married six months.Big mystery. No one knew where to put their leg and to this day I'm not surewe got it right.He seemed happy. You're like Venice he said beautifully.Early next dayI wrote a short talk ("On Defloration") which he stole and had publishedin a small quarterly magazine.Overall this was a characteristic interaction between us.Or should I say ideal.Neither of us had ever seen Venice."
Author: Anne Carson
2. "Old family motto: "The best revenge is revenge."
Author: Anne McCaffrey
3. "As a child, I had no idea that I would end up in the film industry. My ambitions changed from wanting to join the army like my grandfather to taking up merchant navy as a career to running for India, and finally, investment banking while I was a student of economics honour. But during my college days, I began to get offers for modelling."
Author: Arjun Rampal
4. "I love Santa Monica and Venice because I like the beach. I have a lot of friends in that area."
Author: Denis Leary
5. "Fate, at first so amenable, so reasonable, so open to negotiation, ends up by exacting a cruel revenge for happiness."
Author: Diane Setterfield
6. "I do not say that there is no glory to be gained [in war]; but it is not personal glory. In itself, no cause was ever more glorious than that of men who struggle, not to conquer territory, not to gather spoil, not to gratify ambition, but for freedom, for religion, for hearth and home, and to revenge the countless atrocities inflicted upon them by their oppressors."
Author: G.A. Henty
7. "Virtue is not the absence of vices or the avoidance of moral dangers; virtue is a vivid and separate thing, like pain or a particular smell. Mercy does not mean not being cruel or sparing people revenge or punishment; it means a plain and positive thing like the sun, which one has either seen or not see"
Author: G.K. Chesterton
8. "The idea of revenge coming from a 14-year-old girl isn't, you know, exactly right."
Author: Hailee Steinfeld
9. "They say revenge is a dish best eaten cold, but for most people, by the time it's ready to eat, they just don't fancy it any more."
Author: Jo Brand
10. "As men obsessed with the idea that all knowledge lies within a woman's body, but having entered it to find themselves as ignorant as before, they are driven towards all women again and again: in childish hope that somehow the next time they will find the treasure, and then the equally childish desire for revenge since it cannot be found, that knife in the unfathomable entrails; and they grow full of hatred."
Author: John McGahern
11. "Revenge is not a good thing. Revenge is like politics: one thing always leads to another until bad has become worse, and worse has become worst."
Author: Jonas Jonasson
12. "He could pass off the inferior bottles on tables seven and four. Table seven knew nothing of wine, sending back a bottle of Riesling as "corked" because it had bits of cork in it, the imbeciles. Table four had gulped down a very special old pale brandy as though it was common wood alcohol, which was probably what they had been drinking because they had said that his brandy lacked bite. They deserved inferior burgundy. The bottles that had been stored too close to the stove might have enough bite by now for table four. A wine waiter's revenge may be long in coming, but it arrives in the end."
Author: Kerry Greenwood
13. "What'd you want to talk about?""Just to commend you on your revenge last night. It must have been fiendish. Of course, I can only imagine since there wasn't a mark on Chase this morning, only residual bliss.""He heals fast! I whaled on his face. Must've been thirty hits."Natalya's lips quirked. "You're glowing like a Lite-Brite.""Shut it, fairy."
Author: Kresley Cole
14. "The enemy is over there and we are still seeking revenge from the nature."
Author: M.F. Moonzajer
15. "He had long ago learned that society imposes insults that must be borne, comforted by the knowledge that in this world there comes a time when the most humble of men, if he keeps his eyes open, can take his revenge on the most powerful. It was this knowledge that prevented the Don from losing the humility all his friends admired in him."
Author: Mario Puzo
16. "You should know I disagree with a lot of traditional advice. For instance, they say the best revenge is living well. I say it's acid in the face—who will love them now?"
Author: Mindy Kaling
17. "The wish to disappear sends many travelers away. If you are thoroughly sick of being kept waiting at home or at work, travel is perfect: let other people wait for a change. Travel is a sort of revenge for having been put on hold, or having to leave messages on answering machines, not knowing your party's extension, being kept waiting all your working life - the homebound writer's irritants. But also being kept waiting is the human conditon."
Author: Paul Theroux
18. "One great objection to the Old Testament is the cruelty said to have been commanded by God. All these cruelties ceased with death. The vengeance of Jehovah stopped at the tomb. He never threatened to punish the dead; and there is not one word, from the first mistake in Genesis to the last curse of Malachi, containing the slightest intimation that God will take his revenge in another world. It was reserved for the New Testament to make known the doctrine of eternal pain."
Author: Robert G. Ingersoll
19. "Advertising is, actually, a simple phenomenon in terms of economics. It is merely a substitute for a personal sales force - an extension, if you will, of the merchant who cries aloud his wares."
Author: Rosser Reeves
20. "But then, his revenge had been more direct. He'd hunted down the ones who'd killed his sister and nephew – those who'd survived his mother's attack – and he'd made them wish they'd never been born with nerve endings.' (Acheron)"
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
21. "Why does the Destroyer hate Artemis? (Cassandra)Love. Why else? Love, hatred, and revenge are the most powerful emotions on earth. Apollymi wants revenge on Artemis for killing the one thing she loved most in the universe. (Katra)And that is? (Cassandra)I would never betray either one by saying it. (Katra)Would you write it down?...Oh, yeah, like the two of you weren't thinking the same thing. (Chris)"
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
22. "To exact revenge for yourself or your friends is not only a right, it's an absolute duty."
Author: Stieg Larsson
23. "A revenge kill is the best kind of kill.But a revenge kill for your family, with your woman's permission?That's borderline erotic."
Author: T.M. Frazier
24. "Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit, because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure"
25. "I think of winter, which is nothing but a rift in the firmament through which the winds break loose, the shreds of cloud over the hilltops in the new blue of the morning -- and dew-drops, those false pearls, and frost, that beauty powder, and mankind in disarray and events out of joint, and so many spots on the sun and so many craters in the moon and so much wretchedness everywhere -- when I think of all this I can't help feeling that God is not rich. He has the appearance of riches, certainly, but I can feel his embarrassment. He gives us a revolution the way a bankrupt merchant gives a ball. We must not judge any god by appearances. I see a shoddy universe beyond that splendour of the sky. Creation itself is bankrupt, and that's why I'm a malcontent."
Author: Victor Hugo
26. "Never having been able to succeed in the world, he took his revenge by speaking ill of it."
27. "When a player keeps a calm demeanor on the court, it's easier for his ability to shine. The best response to an opposing player's physical or psychological tactics is to keep cool and come right back at him with the force of your game, not your fists. Revenge is always sweeter if your team wins the game."
Author: Walt Frazier
28. "Only a shallow mind would be puzzled by the fact that Original Sin appears to be distributed so much more noticeably among the deprived...than among merchant bankers living in Surrey's green belt."
Author: William Donaldson
Quotes About Revenge In The Merchant Of Venice Pictures