Famous Quotes About September 1
Browse 139 famous quotes and sayings about September 1.
Top Quotes About September 1
1. "What led to September 11 is that most decision makers in the White House thought like you. They supported despotic regimes in the Middle East to multiply the profits of oil and arms companies, and armed violence escalated and reached our shores."
Author: Alaa Al Aswany
2. "The tragedy of September 11th was so sudden, so enormous, and so horrendous, both in terms of lives lost and global consequences, that this country and the world went into immediate and prolonged shock."
Author: Allen Klein
3. "Any attempts at humor immediately after September 11th were deemed tasteless."
Author: Allen Klein
4. "She looks up at me, still rocking. "Henry . . . why did me decide to do this again?" "Supposedly when it's over they hand you a baby and let you keep it." "Oh yeah." --Wednesday, September 5, 2001"
Author: Audrey Niffenegger
5. "While it may be true that the UAE has been an ally since the September 11, 2001, attacks, the American people know it has also harbored and aided some of the al Qaeda agents who were involved in that attack."
Author: Bart Gordon
6. "Pepys recorded in his diary a rather more prosaic milestone in his life. On September 25, 1660, he tried a new hot beverage for the first time, recording in his diary: "And afterwards I did send for a cup of tee (a China drink), of which I never had drank before." Whether he liked it or not Pepys didn't say, which is a shame, as it is the first mention we have in English of anyone's drinking a cup of tea."
Author: Bill Bryson
7. "The Europeans must finally understand the incredible shock triggered by the attacks of September 11."
Author: Brent Scowcroft
8. "Everybody knows, nobody's talking - from LIE --debut novel coming September 1st from St. Martin's Press"
Author: Caroline Bock
9. "America has survived and grown stronger through September 11th and subsequent wars with Afghanistan and Iraq and those who seek to do us harm. We have faced - and met - tremendous challenges ramping up a public health and safety system to protect Americans from future threats."
Author: Christopher Bond
10. "Judy, we think that since the 11th of September, 2001, we've faced a similar heightened threat level. And we've been enhancing both the exchange of intelligence and security information and the assessment of that information, because that's the crucial element."
Author: David Blunkett
11. "The way you start writing is by writing. Over and over again I have proven this to myself but I always forget it the next time. I always believe that I will never write again. The first time I finished a book a painter was visiting me. Her name is Ginny Stanford and her wonderful paintings have been the covers for nine of my books.'I'll never write again,' I told her ... 'That's it ... It's over. It was great while it lasted, but now it's done.'That afternoon she made me a wonderful drawing of a ship sinking in the waves of the sea. 'I'll never write again,' it said on the bottom of the picture. 'September, 1981."
Author: Ellen Gilchrist
12. "In some ways, September 11, 2001, seems a long time ago. Yet we have done so much in only a few years, and we will continue to do so in the future, to prevent such attacks on America."
Author: George Allen
13. "I think what has happened, actually, is that September 11 has given a spur, a renewed urgency, to dialogue between the great faiths."
Author: George Carey
14. "Just a month from this day, on the twentieth of September, 1850, I shall be sitting in this chair, in this study, at ten o' clock at night, longing to die, weary of incessant insight and foresight, without delusions and without hope."
Author: George Eliot
15. "I was just about to begin writing 'Mirror Mirror', within about a week of it, when September 11, 2001 happened. I found myself incapable of caring about fiction-making for a number of months."
Author: Gregory Maguire
16. "I would advise anyone who aspires to a writing career that before developing his talent he would be wise to develop a thick hide."[Writer's Digest, September 1961]"
Author: Harper Lee
17. "It is September 11, 2013. Twelve years have gone by. I'm on a flight from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale, a cross-country flight loaded down with fuel."
Author: Hugh Howey
18. "In September, I left the show. We were going through discussions and negotiations, and I had been on the show for about 11 years, and there were some things that I was asking for that I didn't feel were the moon or the stars."
Author: Hunter Tylo
19. "As for September 11, let us not too easily grant the Americans possession of that date on the calendar. Like May 1 or July 14 or December 25, September 11 may seem full of significance to some people, while to other people it is just another day."
Author: J. M. Coetzee
20. "I played in Kent's triumphant Second XI Trophy final team last season, ironically against Hampshire 2nds at the Rose Bowl last September, finishing with 2-17 off six overs."
Author: James Hibberd
21. "But 'I worked hard on this' doesn't exempt you from criticism. Those harsh reviews aren't about anyone being out to get me. It's not an Authors vs. Reviewers thing. It's people taking the time to express their opinions because they care about this stuff."[Us vs. Them vs. Grow the Hell Up (Blog post, September 1, 2013)]"
Author: Jim C. Hines
22. "Mr. Chairman, on September 11, we were attacked by terrorists who took advantage of weaknesses in our border security. After infiltrating our country, the terrorists were able to conceal their real identities, and thereby plot their attacks without fear of being apprehended."
Author: Jim Ryun
23. "Prior to September 11, we thought the world beyond our shores was one world of risk and the world in our continent was another world of risk."
Author: John Ashcroft
24. "What we learned on September 11 is that the unthinkable is now thinkable in the world."
Author: John Ashcroft
25. "I was born full grown in the middle of a hurricane and an earthquake on 10 September 1954, 12.52 P.M. When I found out that I had missed lunch, I gave such a shout that the Earth stopped and spun backwards two days. That's why I celebrate my birthday on 8 September."
Author: Jon Scieszka
26. "If the events of September 11, 2001, have proven anything, it's that the terrorists can attack us, but they can't take away what makes us American -- our freedom, our liberty, our civil rights. No, only Attorney General John Ashcroft can do that."
Author: Jon Stewart
27. "Since September 11, 2001, the powerful coalition of nations, led by the United States, has seen many successes against al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups. It is imperative that we remain united and steadfast in the quest to defeat terrorism around the world."
Author: Kenny Marchant
28. "I am one of the 11.5% of New Yorkers who remain traumatized by the events of September 11."
Author: Lanford Wilson
29. "As the third anniversary of the September 11th attacks draws near we must ensure our nation is prepared to handle the continued threat of violence and terrorism on our country."
Author: Leonard Boswell
30. "Responsibility sucked rocks. Until a few months ago, I hadn't been responsible for anything more than color-coordinating my wardrobe. But foil one vampire vixen bent on world domination and suddenly people expect all kinds of things. Some days it just didn't pay to wake up dead. (teaser from ReVamped, coming September 1st)"
Author: Lucienne Diver
31. "We appreciate your coming to us with a copy of your letter to your sister, but it was unnecessary. Your offense was known to us even before the letter's receipt by your sister. Effective as of September 15 the primary responsibility of our isle's new assistant chief postal inspector has been to scan all post for use of illegal letters of the alphabet, then to make nightly reports to the Council. A report has been put on file on your behalf, your official sentence to be forthwith in issuance."
Author: Mark Dunn
32. "Mr. Speaker, we are a blessed Nation. We have not suffered another attack on our soil since September 11, and we are grateful. We have killed or captured dozens of members of al Qaeda and the Taliban. Our military and intelligence forces are working both hard and smart."
Author: Marsha Blackburn
33. "Last week, the House of Representatives passed a resolution honoring the victims and heroes of September 11th. As we commemorate the anniversary of 9-11, we must also remember that the threat is still very real today."
Author: Michael McCaul
34. "I think the important thing to remember here is that we haven't been attacked again at home since September of 2001."
Author: Mitch McConnell
35. "I went to Briar Cliff College initially, and then I transferred to Georgetown University, because I was a Russian major, and I was one of two girls accepted that year. This was September 1969 - well, that would have been 1970 - into the School Of Languages And Linguistics in Georgetown."
Author: P. J. Soles
36. "After September 11, I got to understand a little bit of his deep love for this country."
Author: Patti Davis
37. "It was Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda who attacked the U.S. on September 11, 2001, not Saddam Hussein and Iraq."
Author: Peter DeFazio
38. "He was a son of the revolutionary movement when he and the revolutionary movement were still pristine. It was a special time for Filipino activists—a time when a hundred flowers bloomed and a thousand thoughts contended in a movement that did not know yet the price of betrayal from within. But flowers wilt and thoughts give way to rancor with the passing of years. And so some may grieve not his passing, while others fall to the ground in tears./FOR HORACIO BOY MORALES, JR. (September 11, 1943 – February 29, 2012)"
Author: Psyche Roxas Mendoza
39. "I visited the Pentagon a few days after September 11, and I still remember so vividly the smell of terror surrounding the entire building and complex. I was angry that such a brutal act of violence was committed against innocent people."
Author: Randy Forbes
40. "September 11 awoke us to the threat of terrorism. It was forever bookmarked in our history as the day when life as Americans knew it, changed forever."
Author: Randy Forbes
41. "Many of us saw religion as harmless nonsense. Beliefs might lack all supporting evidence but, we thought, if people needed a crutch for consolation, where's the harm? September 11th changed all that."
Author: Richard Dawkins
42. "September 11We thought we'd outdistanced historyTold our children it was nowhere near;Even when history struck Columbine,It didn't happen here.We took down the maps in the classroom,And when they were safely furled,We told the young what they wanted to hear,That they were immune from a menacing world.But history isn't a folded-up map,Or an unread textbook tome;Now we know history's a fireman's childWaiting at home alone."
Author: Richard Peck
43. "September 11… I will never forget feeling scared and vulnerable… I will never forget feeling the deep sad loss of so many lives… I will never forget the smell of the smoke that reached across the water and delivered a deep feeling of doom into my gut… I will never forget feeling the boosted sense of unity and pride… I will never forget seeing the courageous actions of so many men and women… I will never forget seeing people of all backgrounds working together in community… I will never forget seeing what hate can destroy… I will never forget seeing what love can heal…"
Author: Steve Maraboli
44. "We must never allow September 11th to become a time for protest and division. Instead, this day must remain a time for promoting peace and mutual respect."
Author: Timothy Dolan
45. "September 11th was a moment when America had the sympathy of the world."
Author: Tom Ford
46. "September 11 stands on its own as a terrible tragedy."
Author: Vernon Jordan
47. "Mr. Speaker, on September 11, 2001, the United States was attacked, and Britain stood with us. This was not only an attack against America, but against the civilized world; and Britain understood this."
Author: Vito Fossella
48. "Romantic Ireland's dead and goneIt's with O' Leary in the grave(September 1913)"
Author: W.B. Yeats
49. "Before I begin talking about the threats we face, the vulnerabilities that we have, and frankly the courage of the men and women in uniform that stand in harm's way on behalf of a very grateful Nation, let me first honor the sacrifices of September 11."
Author: Zach Wamp
50. "For twenty years, Islamic Jihadists have been attacking American interests around the world and we did not take them seriously until September 11th, 2001."
Author: Zach Wamp
Quotes About September 1 Pictures