Famous Quotes About Shame And Guilt
Browse 15 famous quotes and sayings about Shame And Guilt.
Top Quotes About Shame And Guilt
1. "Insults fade after years of use, becoming blunt like battle-weary blades. Insults rely on probing the open wounds of shame and guilt. She had neither."
Author: Ben Galley
2. "I had a deeper understanding that no matter what situation would come my way, I would be in the hands of the Lord, and he would rescue me. I felt ashamed and guilty for how I'd complained to the Lord, but he was patient and loving to me, not treating me as I deserved, but gently helping me like an eagle tending her baby chicks."
Author: Brother Yun
3. "Ricky just listens. He isn't shocked. He isn't surprised. He listens to me because he knows. He knows the shame and the guilt and the sorrow and the rage. And he does not judge me. He just listens."
Author: Emily Andrews
4. "Food won't go down when you know your mother didn't want you, never liked to feed you, always hated you in her rooms. You were wrong to clutch and swallow and move your mouth. You must not be flushed, layered in fat or ripe from meat or she will despise your sight. Your skeleton cries, "I make no demands, I am ashamed of my needs, I am unworthy. I'm aware of those more deserving, those with prior and urgent claims to food." Skeleton says, "My safety is in slightness, my pride is denial. My victory is no gluttony, no guilt."
Author: Jenny Holzer
5. "The best way a writer can find to keep himself going is to live off his (or her) spouse. The trouble is that, psychologically at least, it's hard. Our culture teaches none of its false lessons more carefully than that one should never be dependent. Hence the novice or still unsuccessful writer, who has enough trouble believing in himself, has the added burden of shame. It's hard to be a good writer and a guilty person; a lack of self-respect creeps into one's prose."
Author: John Gardner
6. "I had a lot of guilt and shame when I was running from God, but nothing like when I was running for God. I was always looking for God's approval, and that's where the guilt and shame came out in a big way."
Author: Jud Wilhite
7. "Never feel guilty about anything shame and guilt are a waste of time just do what you do-- and deal with it"
Author: Kevin Brooks
8. "The whole crazy business seemed to pull out of my guts the very worst in me—my worst fears—the worst aspects of my character—my worst insecurities and feelings of shame and guilt. I didn't know it at the time, but that was exactly what was supposed to be happening. That's what Solomonic magick is all about. The worst in me was my problem. The worst in me was the demon. When it finally dawned on me that I had successfully evoked the demon, and I had the worst of me trapped in that magick Triangle, I had no alternative but to harness and redirect its monstrous power and give it new marching orders. From then on, that particular demon would be working for me rather than against me."
Author: Lon Milo DuQuette
9. "Woman, where are they? Has no one judged you guilty?"She answers "No one, sir."Then Jesus says, "I also don't judge you guilty. You may go now, but don't sin anymore."If you have ever wondered how God reacts when you fail, frame these words and hang them on the wall.Read them. Ponder them.Drink from them. Stand below them and let them wash over your soul.Or better still, take him with you to to your canyon of shame. Invite Christ to journey with you back to the Fremont Bridge of your world. Let Him stand beside you as you retell the events of the darkest nights of your soul.And then listen. Listen carefully. He's speaking."I don't judge you guilty."And watch. Watch carefully. He's writing. He's leaving a message. Not in the sand, but on a cross.Not with his hand, but with his blood.His message has two words: not guilty."
Author: Max Lucado
10. "You said to me once that you weren't what I dreamed of. You were right. You surpass everything I dreamed of. Even the rot in you that's caused you to do shameful things. Some men let the rot and guilt fester into something ugly beyond words. Few men can turn it into worth and substance. If you're gods' blessed for no other reason, it's for that."
Author: Melina Marchetta
11. "It is sadly true that most institutions and nations admire and reward sins of the "spirit," and various forms of arrogance and greed often lead to promotions and praise. But pride, ambition, and vanity are still pride, ambition, and vanity; they do not stop being capital sins because someone is pope or president. "Greed is good" in America, extravagant bonuses are envied and imitated, and careerism is rampant among the clergy . . . Sins of the flesh, however, carry shame and guilt and can always be used to bring anybody down in church, culture, or the state."
Author: Richard Rohr
12. "When he had read "Why I Am Neither Guilty Nor Ashamed" for the first time this weekend, he had been expecting nothing out of the ordinary. But as one word led to another, and an idiotic thought connected to a dangerous one, Helmut couldn't believe his eyes. These words. He wanted to stop reading. He wanted to will himself back in time before he had ever set eyes on these words. He read the pages to the bitter end again, and put them in a blue folder. Maybe the utter shock of reading them was greater because Helmut had been expecting nothing when he had picked up the pages this past weekend....These words more than thirty-five-years old. From an obscure literary journal. "Why I Am Neither Guilty Nor Ashamed." The language still evoking the bitter, copper stink of blood in the air. A fog of blood."
Author: Sergio Troncoso
13. "In yet another paradox, bulimia nervosa serves as both an expression of feelings and a defense against experiencing feelings, particularly shame, anger, loneliness, sadness, envy, and guilt. A person with bulimia nervosa fear, whether consciously or unconsciously, that painful feelings would be unbearable, even annihilating"."
Author: Sheila M. Reindl
14. "Before, all could have told her, "It's not your fault. You were the victim. You suffered the loss and the pain in the maw of abuse. You are not responsible." She hadn't ever been prepared to hear that in efficacy of the shame and the guilt she felt for the abuses inflicted upon her by the worst of the worst kinds of people in the world, but at least there was the ultimate solace of it not having been her fault."
Author: Stacey Scott Mae
15. "Glory, built on selfish principles, is shame and guilt."
Author: William Cowper
Quotes About Shame And Guilt Pictures