Famous Quotes About Smear
Browse 155 famous quotes and sayings about Smear.
Top Quotes About Smear
1. "The Flies And The Honey-PotA NUMBER of Flies were attracted to a jar of honey which had been overturned in a housekeeper's room, and placing their feet in it, ate greedily. Their feet, however, became so smeared with the honey that they could not use their wings, nor release themselves, and were suffocated. Just as they were expiring, they exclaimed, "O foolish creatures that we are, for the sake of a little pleasure we have destroyed ourselves." Pleasure bought with pains, hurts."
2. "She had crept away from his bed, leaving him asleep across the jumbled sheets. She'd closed the bathroom door softly behind her. Standing naked before the mirror, she'd stared at the girl she saw there. At the disheveled hair and smeared mascara and lips that he'd kissed. Slowly shaking her head at the image in the mirror, the thought played over and over in her mind like a scratched track on a CD: Why? Why did you do it? Why did you let it happen? Then she'd turned away, covered her face with her hands, and cried. She would never again be the same person. She'd been irreversibly changed."
Author: Amy Efaw
3. "No, no, no, Landemere. This time I'm putting my foot down. I mean it. Don't think you're going to smear syrup on my beard, as we say in Ramaldah. You're not making me change my mind by sweet talking me. I know your tricks, and I won't fall for them."
Author: Andrew Ashling
4. "The bullet smashed through the right lens of Winston's glasses and slammed him back against the lounge wall. Ozzy was expressionless as his old friend slid down the wall leaving a smear of red behind him. Above his creased body, a gob of pale tissue clung onto the light switch. "Aw, Winston," he said, "you did have a brain after all!"
Author: Andrew Barrett
5. "We were a family that made our Halloween costumes. Or, more accurately, my mother made them. She took no suggestions or advice. Halloween costumes were her territory. She was the brain behind my brother's winning girl costume, stuffing her own bra with newspapers for him to wear under a cashmere sweater and smearing red lipstick on his lips."
Author: Ann Hood
6. "Cookbooks, it should be stressed, do not belong in the kitchen at all. We keep them there for the sake of appearances; occasionally, we smear their pages together with vibrant green glazes or crimson compotes, in order to delude ourselves, and any passing browsers, that we are practicing cooks; but in all honesty, a cookbook is something you read in the living room, or in the bathroom, or in bed."
Author: Anthony Lane
7. "In the picture, Ava Gardner's tousled black hair obscured her right eye, and her full, closed lips were pulled slightly to the right, resulting in something less than a smile. They looked as if they'd been smeared shut with red paint, though the photo was in black and white. It wasn't so much a fuck-me face as a I've-been-there-and-back look, the kind of expression you see only on the most expensive whores."
Author: Barry Gifford
8. "Many professionals have to sign gagging clauses or face the sack if they speak out. The social worker and therapist was familiar with the scare that revelation brings to the survivor. […]We are in this story. It isn't ours, but we are in it nonetheless, not least because of the viscous campaign which has followed us over the last ten years. Any organisation with which we work may receive correspondence from the accused adults' and ‘false memory' movements. Some of these propagandists are confidentially dominating the professional and political arguments using new information technology to spread what we consider to be smears, innuendo and misinformation. P8(refers to authors Beatrix Campbell & Judith Jones – a journalist and a social worker/therapist)"
Author: Beatrix Campbell
9. "Maybe one day the smears of paint Harley left throughout Godspeed will fade, and maybe the stars never will, but i'd rather have Harley's colors."
Author: Beth Revis
10. "I hate the word shy. I don't ever use that word. Shy was when I was seven and my one Princess signature got smeared across the pastel yellow page because I dripped tears all over it, because I was afraid and couldn't lift my head no matter how much I wanted to. That's how the shyness works. You want to talk, but you can't. People look at you with scorn. Being ice princess is infinitely better, even if some people think you're a total bitch. A snob. Reserved. Those are choices a person makes, to be reserved, to be quiet, or to be a snob. Shy isn't a choice."
Author: Bethany Griffin
11. "I tried to make meat loaf out of the girl but it becomes too frustrating a task and instead I spend the afternoon smearing her meat all over the walls, chewing on strips of skin I ripped from her body"
Author: Bret Easton Ellis
12. "Ashley burned down the school, smeared in the ashes of her sisters, with a that tattoo on her arm saying, 'I am a pleasure to burn."
Author: Cameron Jace
13. "Packard wrestles off his jacket and shirt. He ignores me, leaning far over to the side, reaching down into the rocks. He comes back with a handful of slime, which he swipes across his chest, smearing it over the solid planes of his muscles. "What the hell are you doing?""Interfering with his concentration. Vulnerability and a lack of logic will disturb him. And the bricks exert a pull…""Hold up!" he calls out. "I have to tell you something! Midcity is purchasing the Great Wall of China!" What? Has he gone insane? "Midcity is importing the wall, brick by brick, right now!"He strides, totally unprotected, toward where the Brick Slinger hides. "They're bringing it here on a boat, in its raw brick form, to be deposited in the Maverick's stadium!"
Author: Carolyn Crane
14. "Our masks, always in peril of smearing or cracking,In need of continuous check in the mirror or silverware,Keep us in thrall to ourselves, concerned with our surfaces.[...]So primp, preen, prink, pluck, and prize your flesh,All posturings! All ravishment! All sensibility!Meanwhile, have you used your mind today?"
Author: Carolyn Kizer
15. "Catching sight of himself in the long mirrors that ran along the walls, he stiffened in shock...His eyes were surrounded by black shadows, his shirt smeared with dried blood and filthy mud..."Admiring yourself?" The Inquisitor's voice cut through his reverie. "You won't look so pretty when the Clave gets through with you.""You do seem obsessed with my look...Could it be that you're attracted to me?""Don't be revolting...You could be my son."
Author: Cassandra Clare
16. "After President Obama's election, efforts at othering Obama quickly became about smearing his non-partisan allies and ambassadors."
Author: Christine Pelosi
17. "Leonardo's Mona Lisa is just a thousand thousand smears of paint. Michelangelo's David is just a million hits with a hammer. We're all of us a million bits put together the right way."
Author: Chuck Palahniuk
18. "She's got mascara smeared underneath her eyes, some of which is still on my pillowcase. Her hair is in disarray. Her ponytail holder in on the sheet beside her. She looks like hell. A beautiful hell"
Author: Colleen Hoover
19. "Don't accuse others of eating when juice smears your face-fur."
Author: David Bowles
20. "Single women that place high value on Higher Education are often the brunt of snide remarks and smearing put downs by less educated black man... page 126"
Author: Deborrah Cooper
21. "In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thing like butter over all the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit."
Author: Emma Donoghue
22. "L'artGreen arsenic smeared on an egg-white cloth, Crushed strawberries! Come, let us feast our eyes."
Author: Ezra Pound
23. "Each night when she prepared for bed she smeared her face with some new unguent which she hoped illogically would give back the glow and freshness to her vanishing beauty."
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
24. "Now that I have called you on your false accusation, you are using additional smear tactics."
Author: George Soros
25. "Fangs sank into Nikki Youngblood's leg, setting her skin on fire. A scream gurgled in her throat, but she willed herself past trees smeared by her jarred vision"
Author: Heather Burch
26. "Bad enough that getting turned on when he had nothing more than a bath towel to hide it would make the condition kind of hard to miss, but getting turned on in front of his ex-fiancee was akin to smearing honey on his junk and walking into grizzly territory."
Author: Heidi Betts
27. "I wouldn't want his demonic, undead-blood-smeared, wolf-smelling ass riding me either."
Author: Ilona Andrews
28. "He looked like every glossy frat boy in every nerd movie ever made, like every popular town boy who'd ever looked right through her in high school, like every rotten rich kid who'd ever belonged where she hadn't.My mama warned me about guys like you.He turned to her as if he'd heard her and took off his sunglasses, and she went down the steps to meet him, wiping her sweaty palms on her dust-smeared khaki shorts. "Hi, I'm Sophie Dempsey," she said, flashing the Dempsey gotta-love-me grin as she held out her hot, grimy hand, and after a moment he took it.His hand was clean and cool and dry, and her heart pounded harder as she looked into his remote, gray eyes."Hello, Sophie Dempsey," her worst nightmare said. "Welcome to Temptation."
Author: Jennifer Crusie
29. "Art should look like art, trees and flowers and people, not weird shapes and splotches of color all smeared together."
Author: Jennifer Estep
30. "Getting old means getting lucky sometimes means sometimes you learn & along with other sweeter acquisitions you learn that ninetenths of what goes down is bullshit that there's just no way to be with people & not smear yr tongue with bullshit lies that it doesn't help to fuck with people & anyway once you know how it's no fun any more"
Author: John Thomas Idlet
31. "We are the strong ones. We squash anything that we don't like. Anything that threatens us gets smeared! (Grimalkin to Alice)"
Author: Joseph Delaney
32. "Between Friday evening and Sunday afternoon, I broke into a total of six offices, one penthouse suite and a small bank, and cursed them all. I cursed the stones they were built on, the bricks in their walls, the paint on their ceilings, the carpets on their floors. I cursed the nylon chairs to give their owners little electric shocks, I cursed the markers to squeak on the whiteboard, the hinges to rust, the glass to run, the windows to stick, the fans to whir, the chairs to break, the computers to crash, the papers to crease, the pens to smear; I cursed the pipes to leak, the coolers to drip, the pictures to sag, the phones to crackle and the wires to spark. And we enjoyed it."
Author: Kate Griffin
33. "But then a revelation came crashing down on me. The harshness of it was so fierce I was the one trembling instead of Melanie. My memory flashed back to her Monday night in the parking lot with her messed up hair and smeared makeup. They weren't willingly hitting it in his office. He hadn't turned me away that night because he had been with someone. Oh, no, it was much worse than that. I stared at her in disbelief. He had screwed her—the panties were proof of that. But it wasn't by her consent…he had truly raped her. I gasped. "Oh my God!" My mind shattered with the thoughts of what he had done. To his star…to his son's girlfriend. It was too much. I slammed back against the sink and shook my head. "He raped you, didn't he?"Her eyes widened in horror. "NO!" she screamed."
Author: Katie Ashley
34. "It flopped into my leg, leaving a vile, dark smear of disgusting on my jeans. Brilliant."
Author: Kiersten White
35. "A Sad ChildYou're sad because you're sad.It's psychic. It's the age. It's chemical.Go see a shrink or take a pill,or hug your sadness like an eyeless dollyou need to sleep.Well, all children are sadbut some get over it.Count your blessings. Better than that,buy a hat. Buy a coat or pet.Take up dancing to forget.Forget what?Your sadness, your shadow,whatever it was that was done to youthe day of the lawn partywhen you came inside flushed with the sun,your mouth sulky with sugar,in your new dress with the ribbonand the ice-cream smear,and said to yourself in the bathroom, I am not the favourite child My darling, when it comesright down to itand the light fails and the fog rolls inand you're trapped in your overturned bodyunder a blanket or burning car,and the red flame is seeping out of youand igniting the tarmac beside your heador else the floor, or else the pillow,none of us is;or else we all are."
Author: Margaret Atwood
36. "Smears are not only to be expected but fought. Honor is to be earned, not bought."
Author: Margaret Chase Smith
37. "The work of the world is common as mud.Botched, it smears the hands, crumbles to dust.But the thing worth doing well donehas a shape that satisfies, clean and evident."
Author: Marge Piercy
38. "I'd spent way more years worrying about how to look like a poet -- buying black clothes, smearing on scarlet lipstick, languidly draping myself over thrift-store furniture -- than I had learning how to assemble words in some discernible order."
Author: Mary Karr
39. "The love of the painter standing alone and staring, staring at the great coloured surface he is making. Standing with him in the room the rearing canvas stares back with tentative shapes halted in their growth, moving in a new rhythm from floor to ceiling. The twisted tubes, the fresh paint squeezed and smeared across the dry upon his palette. The dust beneath the easel. The paint has edged along the brushes' handles. The white light in a northern sky is silent. The window gapes as he inhales his world. His world: a rented room, and turpentine. He moves towards his half-born. He is in love."
Author: Mervyn Peake
40. "It bothered me in a kind of Charles Manson way to have a brown smear of blood on my wall but I also liked it because every time I looked at it I was reminded that I was, at that very moment, not bleeding from my face. And those are powerful words of hope, really."
Author: Miriam Toews
41. "Dylan, in her skintight black jeans, safety-pinned shirt, and bulky armbands, with her hair sticking out in every direction and that black freshly smeared around her eyes, doesn't just smile, doesn't just walk toward Maddy and put her arms around her. No. Instead, every muscle in her whole body seems to lose all tension, her step forward resembles a skip, and she lets out a hey that might as well say, I love you, you are so beautiful, no one in the world is as amazing as you are."
Author: Nina LaCour
42. "Her face was smeared with mud and blood and ash. Just another bit of debris in the wreckage of war."
Author: Paolo Bacigalupi
43. "I'm not going to roll the window down," I told him. "This car doesn't have automatic windows. I'd have to pull over and go around and lower it manually. Besides, it's cold outside, and unlike you, I don't have a fur coat."He lifted his lip in a mock snarl and put his nose on the dashboard with a thump."You're smearing the windshield," I told him.He looked at me and deliberately ran his nose across his side of the glass.I rolled my eyes. "Oh, that was mature. The last time I saw someone do something that grown-up was when my little sister was twelve."
Author: Patricia Briggs
44. "I squinted at the western sky behind Thaddeus, a blood-red smear melting into blackness. Twisting my neck, I glanced the opposite direction. My teeth clenched at a magnified, round moon nearly as scarlet as the portending sunset, its luminous face half masked by hazy cloud cover. Hatred, vengeance, anger……such emotions coursed through my veins in a poisonous concoction that muddied my mind, impelling me to grip my sword tighter and fight with every ounce of strength I possessed against those who threatened my family - my kind. Currently, Thaddeus was behaving as such a threat, using his powers of persuasion to condone human sacrifice for some outrageously perceived good. He wanted an offering for the monsters; a desperate, futile offering of human flesh that would in no way protect the other villagers from being mauled as he promised."
Author: Richelle E. Goodrich
45. "The best dog training was based on the reward system. You did not punish a dog for doing wrong, you rewarded the dog for doing right. The dog did something you wanted, you reinforced the behavior with a reward - pet'm, tell'm they're a good dog, let'm play with a toy. The standard reward for a K-9 working dog was a hard plastic ball with a hole drilled through it where Leland liked to smear a little peanut butter."
Author: Robert Crais
46. "Because we spoke so loudly, opponents of reproductive health access demonized and smeared me and others on the public airwaves. These smears are obvious attempts to distract from meaningful policy discussions and to silence women's voices regarding their own health care."
Author: Sandra Fluke
47. "He made his voice low and smug as he thumbed her hardened nipple. Smearing soot in a lewd circle. "Don't play innocent, Miss Highwood. You've been wanting this. A hard, sweaty pounding from the village smith. These strong, dirty hands all over your body. You've been wanting it, haven't you?" "I . . ." He withdrew halfway, then slid deep. "Haven't you?" As he moved in and out, her head bobbed in a subtle nod. "Say it." He thrust hard. She gasped. "Yes."
Author: Tessa Dare
48. "You should go then." Don't go. Don't bloody leave me. Throw your arms around me. I don't care if you smear my face with paint, Anna. Tell me you love me. Show me you still want me. Torture me at bit more.Oh, God...she was walking away from me."
Author: Wendy Higgins
49. "Not marble, nor the gilded monuments Of princes, shall outlive this powerful rhyme;But you shall shine more bright in these contents Than unswept stone, besmear'd with sluttish time. When wasteful war shall statues overturn, And broils root out the work of masonry, Nor Mars his sword nor war's quick fire shall burnThe living record of your memory. 'Gainst death and all-oblivious enmityShall you pace forth; your praise shall still find roomEven in the eyes of all posterity That wear this world out to the ending doom.So, till the judgment that yourself arise, You live in this, and dwell in lovers' eyes."
Author: William Shakespeare
50. "Chermoula is a potent North African spice paste that is ideal for smearing on your favourite vegetables for roasting."
Author: Yotam Ottolenghi
Quotes About Smear Pictures