Famous Quotes About Starting
Browse 934 famous quotes and sayings about Starting.
Top Quotes About Starting
1. "You're gonna laugh when I tell you this, man, but I'm starting to enjoy Eminem."
Author: Alan Vega
2. "Becoming an adult means leaving the world of your parents and starting to make your way toward the future that you will share with your peers."
Author: Alison Gopnik
3. "When I'm nervous, I stutter, and I had to keep stopping and starting."
Author: Amy Winehouse
4. "I'd never been a teacher before, and here I was starting my first day with these eager students. There was a shortage of teachers, and they had been without a math teacher for six months. They were so excited to learn math."
Author: Andrew Shue
5. "The starting line of the New York Marathon is kind of like a giant time bomb behind you about to go off. It is the most spectacular start in sport."
Author: Bill Rodgers
6. "You're following me," I finally say. "Why?""Because I'm trying to reclaim what's mine.""I'm not yours.""You are.You always have been.You always will be.""That's crap.""Is it? Look inside youself, Zara. I think you'll find what's true.""I don't know what's true anymore. But I know you're starting to sound like a bad ripoff of Darth Vader in an old Star Wars movie. And I know you're trying to hurt me."He shakes his head and listens to air. "Never.""Which part? The Darth thing or the hurting thing?""Both."
Author: Carrie Jones
7. "This has serveral consequences, starting with screwing over most cryptography algorithms--translation: all your bank account are belong to us--"
Author: Charles Stross
8. "Does anyone in this room have it?""No, Chris, no one here has it.""How do you know?""Because the mark was dark skin. Negroes are the descendants of Cain."I didn't have my civil-rights sensibilities yet, but I was starting to get a bad feeling about God...."
Author: Chris Crutcher
9. "Mathematics is not arithmetic. Though mathematics may have arisen from the practices of counting and measuring it really deals with logical reasoning in which theorems—general and specific statements—can be deduced from the starting assumptions. It is, perhaps, the purest and most rigorous of intellectual activities, and is often thought of as queen of the sciences."
Author: Christopher Zeeman
10. "It was a cold blustery day when he walked out of the courthouse for the last time. He walked down the steps and out the back door and got in his truck and sat there. He couldnt name the feeling. It was sadness but it was something else besides. And the something else besides was what had him sitting there instead of starting the truck. He'd felt like this before but not in a long time and when he said that, then he knew what it was. It was defeat. It was being beaten. More bitter to him than death. You need to get over that, he said. Then he started the truck."
Author: Cormac McCarthy
11. "I am starting to get tired of relying on words."
Author: David Levithan
12. "P—Jamie!" I called. He waded back toward me. "I'm starting to think my name is Pajamie." "Your name should be Pajerky. You said it wasn't deep." "Pajerky?" He gave me a skeptical look. "That's Pathetic." "We'll see how smug you are once I'm on dry land."
Author: Diana Peterfreund
13. "Fairly early in my career, I had a passion for wine just as a consumer, and I started to learn about the whole process, starting with a piece of raw ground, and ending up with a work of art in a bottle."
Author: Drew Bledsoe
14. "Now that young girls like my twelve-year-old friend Mai are being exposed to modern Western women like me through crowds of tourists, they're experiencing those first critical moments of cultural hesitation. I call this the "Wait-a-Minute Moment" - that pivotal instant when girls from traditional cultures start pondering what's in it for them, exactly, to be getting married at the age of thirteen and starting to have babies not long after. They start wondering if they might prefer to make different choices for themselves, or any choices, for that matter. Once girls from closed societies start thinking such thoughts, all hell breaks loose."
Author: Elizabeth Gilbert
15. "When I was starting out, I did not do short fiction well, because I kept wanting to write books."
Author: Elizabeth Moon
16. "The worse I am, the more I need God. I can't shut myself out from His mercy. That is what it would mean; starting a life with you, without Him.Julia to Charles"
Author: Evelyn Waugh
17. "I had some great mentors as I was coming up and starting to sing so early - I've been singing since I was four."
Author: Gladys Knight
18. "It can also be useful to politics, enabling that science to discover how much of it is no more than verbal construction, myth, literary tops. Politics, like literature, must above all know itself and distrust itself. As a final observation, I should like to add that it is impossible today for anyone to feel innocent, if in whatever we do or say we can discover a hidden motive - that of a white man, or a male, or the possessor of a certain income, or a member of a given economic system, or a sufferer from a certain neurosis - this should not induce in us either a universal sense of guilt or an attitude of universal accusation. When we become aware of our disease or of our hidden motives, we have already begun to get the better of them. What matters is the way in which we accept our motives and live through the ensuing crisis. This is the only chance we have of becoming different from the way we are - that is, the only way of starting to invent a new way of being."
Author: Italo Calvino
19. "-BDB on the board-VAMPIRES WITH ONE EYEBROW ARE SEXYMay 8, 2006Vishous (Back in the Pit, posting in Rhage's room on the board)Hi! My name is Rhage.....:)I'm starting a new trend in facial hair. Having one eyebrow is COOL.Having one eyebrow is SEXY.Having one eyebrow is very INTELLECTUAL.Come. Join me. Rhage: (In his bedroom) 1. He immobilized me, the motherfucker. Or I woud have gone to work on the goatee. AND IF HE WERE SO TOUGH HE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO PUT A WHAMMY ON MY ASS TO GET AT ME.2. My hair grows back VERY fast. I should be BACK TO NORMAL in a couple of days. 3. Even if it takes me the rest of this month...he has SO got it coming for him. Vishous: Rhage! What happened to your eyebrow?Why...it's gone.Did you slip while you were shaving?Hey....lemme ask you something...Does your head feel off-kilter? You know, heavier on one side?"
Author: J.R. Ward
20. "The knuckles of his hand that had Shaw's name inked across them caught my eye. I pointed to them."You have her with you forever already, a ring isn't going to make that much of a difference, bro.""I need to wait until she's done with school next semester. She needs to graduate and focus on starting med school. I don't want her worrying about me or a wedding while she does it. Honestly, talking to Lando made me start thinking about it. God, forbid something happened to me or to her. I want everyone on the planet to know how much she means to me. How she changed my life and made me want to be a better man for her and her alone."
Author: Jay Crownover
21. "Because behavior is under the control of its consequences, obedience training is about providing consequences to the dog. Life is a never-ending series of:"If you do this, this happens, if you do that, another thing happens." There are two kinds of things that happen in life, good things and bad things, so there are four kinds of consequences: good stuff can 1) start and 2) end; bad stuff can 1) start and 2) end. Your dog is constantly trying to start the good stuff, end the bad stuff, avoid ending the good stuff, and avoid starting the bad stuff. He's playing his entire environment, including you, this way. If you can recognize this and exploit it, *voila!* Control of the dog."
Author: Jean Donaldson
22. "Our starting point then was trying to find a way to incorporate mean reversion into the HoLee model."
Author: John Hull
23. "If that's your definition of the Clinton faction, then I think that that seems to be in ascendancy. That might include a guy like John Edwards, who's just starting this new center in Chapel Hill to deal with issues of poverty and work."
Author: John Podesta
24. "Hi.What are you doing here?"He frowned. "Damned if I know."Unable to suppress her smile she said, "The usual excuse is that you happened to be in the neighborhood and decided to drop by.""Now why didn't I think of that?" Nick mocked dryly. "Well,are you going to invite me in?""I don't know," she said honestly. "Should I?"His gaze traveled down the entire length of her body, lifted to her lips and finally her eyes. "I wouldn't if I were you."Breathless from his frankly sensual glance, Lauren was nevertheless determined to abide by her decision to avoid all personal involvement with him. And judging from the way he had just looked at her, his reason for being here was very, very personal. Reluctantly she made her decision. "In that case,I'll follow your advice. Goodbye,Nick," she said, starting to close the door. "And thank you for stopping by."
Author: Judith McNaught
25. "Jazz is not the format where I want to stay, but it really is a starting point for me."
Author: Justin Guarini
26. "GARNET CITY LIMITPOPULATION 3145"There's bullet holes in that sign," Tino observed drily. "There are," Romeo agreed, starting at the dents and holes in the green metal. "Those are bullet holes, no question." "They shot their own friggin' sign." Tino turned to arch an eyebrow at Romeo. "What the hell are they gonna do to us."
Author: Kele Moon
27. "It feels like it's just starting in America and the UK. It's great to have a loyal fanbase in Australia and New Zealand. People in America say how polished our band are, but that didn't happen overnight; that came from doing all this touring back home."
28. "They're my peace offering for starting over. I gave you one once before, only to deceive you in the most unimaginable way. But not this time, this time, I assure you, my intentions are pure.""So, you're not trying to seduce me?" I asked, only to prolong what I knew was coming. I wasn't sure I was ready for it. His lids were getting heavy and I could feel the sexual tension building between us. There was a gentle pressure at the back of my neck, pulling me closer, his face so close I could smell the wine we shared on his breath. "I said my intentions were pure. That doesn't mean I don't intend to seduce you, Cassie."
Author: L.J. Kentowski
29. "He said it hit him travelling one time in the year or so before he met my mother. Whatever country of the world it was, the poor were starting to look alike, live alike, eat alike, and dress alike in the same kind of clothes all made in the same part of China. To him, it was a sign that the people had got severed from the land."
Author: Marcel Theroux
30. "So if there is a government grant offered for anything, like starting a business or going to school, they cannot discriminate because of your age."
Author: Matthew Lesko
31. "I'm Starting With The Man InThe MirrorI'm Asking Him To ChangeHis WaysAnd No Message Could HaveBeen Any ClearerIf You Wanna Make The WorldA Better PlaceTake A Look At Yourself, AndThen Make A Change"
Author: Michael Jackson
32. "We must begin where we are and move forward immediately by starting small and capitalizing on what's at hand."
Author: Mike Schmoker
33. "It seems there is always a road with bends and forks to choose, and taking one path means you can never take another one. There's no starting over nor undoing the steps I've taken. It isn't like I'd want to not have my little ones and Jack and that ranch, it is part of life to have to support yourself. It's just that I want everything, my insides are not just hungry, but greedy. I want to find out all the things in the world and still have a family and a ranch. Maybe part of passing that test was a marker for where I've been, but it feels more like a pointer for something I'll never reach. (November 29, 1887 entry, pg 309)"
Author: Nancy E. Turner
34. "We dragged Linc along. His current honey is working tonight.""Still the intern?""Yeah." Helen sat on the curvy velvet chaise, made herself at home. "I'm starting to think he'sgetting serious about her.""And?""I don't know. She's a nice girl, raised well. Focused, which he could use, and independent,which I appreciate.""But he's your baby.""But he's my baby," Helen agreed. "I miss the little boy sometimes, with the scabbed knees andloose shoelaces. Still see him in that tall, gorgeous lawyer in the three-piece suit that strolls in andout of my life now. And Jesus,"
Author: Nora Roberts
35. "Do not forget that the Arab countries, starting with Algeria and Egypt, are the ones that have paid the heaviest toll because of Islamic terror."
Author: Omar Bongo
36. "Yes", Kumiko said, seriously. "Exactly that. The extraordinary happens all the time. So much, we can't take it. Life and happiness and heartache and love. If we couldn't put it in story - ""And explain it -""No!" she said, suddenly sharp. "Not explain. Stories do not explain. They seem to, but all they provide is a starting point. The story never ends at the end. There is always after. And even within itself, even by saying that this version is the right one, it suggests other versions, versions that exist in parallel. No, story is not an explanation, it is a net, a net through which the truth flows. The net catches some of the truth, but not all, never all, only enough so that we can live with the extraordinary without it killing us." She sagged a little, as if exhausted by this speech. "As it surely, surely would."
Author: Patrick Ness
37. "For a creative person starting out on a career, try not thinking about film or media or whatever. think about money."
Author: Paul Arden
38. "I knew I had a problem. I was starting to like that kinky rich bastard."
Author: R.K. Lilley
39. "Please, let me take you home. You're drunk.""I am not." I shoved him, spilling some kind of delicious poison on him. "Go home and have a wild time with Ms. Scarlet. In the bedroom. With the—""Okay, you're starting to talk board game. Let's go home, babe. I'll get you into bed."
Author: Rachael Wade
40. "And to any new fans we made along the way, I say... welcome to our party. It's just starting to get going."
Author: Richard Marx
41. "I can't go into a bar anywhere without someone starting to play 'the Entertainer'."
Author: Robert Redford
42. "Another term for preventive war is aggressive war - starting wars because someday somebody might do something to us. That is not part of the American tradition."
Author: Ron Paul
43. "When I saw you on the stairs before, I'd forgotten how beautiful you are,' he whispered against her skin.‘Spotty, not beautiful,' she corrected gently, running her finger along his crooked nose. ‘Now you, you're beautiful.'‘I even missed your inferiority complex.' Max smiled and shifted against her.‘Not being inferior. It's a point of fact. I'm covered in zits,' Neve said and she didn't know why she felt the need to share that with Max but then she was glad that she had because he was kissing each one of the angry red bumps along her forehead and chin and cheeks, even though a few of them were starting to suppurate. ‘Don't do that, it's completely unhygienic. Kiss my mouth instead."
Author: Sarra Manning
44. "He leans back against the starting gate like he's in a hammock in the Caribbean..."
45. "My medication must be wearing off I'm starting to think my jokes are funny."
Author: Stanley Victor Paskavich
46. "Do you know what a poem is, Esther?'No, what?' I would say.A piece of dust.'Then, just as he was smiling and starting to look proud, I would say, 'So are the cadavers you cut up. So are the people you think you're curing. They're dust as dust as dust. I reckon a good poem lasts a whole lot longer than a hundred of those people put together.'And of course Buddy wouldn't have any answer to that, because what I said was true. People were made of nothing so much as dust, and I couldn't see that doctoring all that dust was a bit better than writing poems people would remember and repeat to themselves when they were unhappy or sick or couldn't sleep."
Author: Sylvia Plath
47. "But a girl starting out in life might well say to herself: 'Is this it? You worked hard and denied yourself things and what you got at the end was hard work and self-denial?"
Author: Terry Pratchett
48. "I'm starting to play all the melodies with kind of keyboard sound but playing it from the bass guitar."
Author: Tom Jenkinson
49. "It's an old copy and it's starting to fall apart, but I hold on to my Handbook because nothing else makes promises like that around here, promises with these words burning inside them: honor, duty, and try."
Author: Tupelo Hassman
50. "Often, the pretexts for starting a war are not real shortages of land, food or fuel, but rather perceptions - like fear, honor and perceived self-interest."
Author: Victor Davis Hanson
Quotes About Starting Pictures