Famous Quotes About The Flip Side
Browse 54 famous quotes and sayings about The Flip Side.
Top Quotes About The Flip Side
1. "I think about how truly interesting and odd it is that when a woman marries, traditionally she loses her name, becoming absorbed by the husband's family name - she is in effect lost, evaporated from all records under her maiden name. I finally understand the anger behind feminism - the idea that as a woman you are property to be conveyed between your father and your husband, but never an individual who exists independently. And on the flip side, it is also one of the few ways one can legitimately get lost - no one questions it."
Author: A.M. Homes
2. "Western parents worry a lot about their children's self-esteem. But as a parent, one of the worst things you can do for your child's self-esteem is to let them give up. On the flip side, there's nothing better for building confidence than learning you can do something you thought you couldn't."
Author: Amy Chua
3. "The patter of tentative footfalls reached my ears. I flipped on my side to face the door and saw Ansel wander by. I rolled onto my back, rubbing sleep from my eyes. I'd crashed on my bed as soons as I'd gotten back from school, collapsing under the weight of the day. The floorboards squeaked as Ansel passed by my door again. I caught his nervous glance in my direction before he hurried down the hall. 'Ansel, I'm not the sun; stop orbiting and get in here,' I called."
Author: Andrea Cremer
4. "On the flip side, I enjoy covering the Arab world, I've spent my entire career here in the Middle East, but I would never call myself a war correspondent."
Author: Anthony Shadid
5. "Their (Council of Dads) wisdom reads like a psalmbook of living: Approach the cowPack your flip-flopsDon't see the wallTend your tadpolesLive the questionsHarvest miraclesAlways learn to juggle on the side of a hillTake a walk with a turtle"
Author: Bruce Feiler
6. "The force of your gaze has a weight. Even sunlight resting on the ground weighs something. Your attention presses against its object, your eye projects it like a headlight.There's a flip side to it. Learn to go down inside yourself, dim the force of your presence. People's eyes will skate right over you.They'll see you; they just won'tnotice you. This works even if they're looking for you."
Author: Carla Speed McNeil
7. "The narratives we create in order to justify our actions and choices become in so many ways who we are. They are the things we say back to ourselves to explain our complicated lives. Perhaps the reason you've not yet been able to forgive yourself is that you're still invested in your self-loathing. Perhaps not forgiving yourself is the flip side of your stealing-this-now cycle. Would you be a better or worse person if you forgave yourself for the bad things you did? If you perpetually condemn yourself for being a liar and a thief, does that make you good?"
Author: Cheryl Strayed
8. "The exaggerated dopamine sensitivity of the introvert leads one to believe that when in public, introverts, regardless of its validity, often feel to be the center of (unwanted) attention hence rarely craving attention. Extroverts, on the other hand, seem to never get enough attention. So on the flip side it seems as though the introvert is in a sense very external and the extrovert is in a sense very internal - the introvert constantly feels too much 'outerness' while the extrovert doesn't feel enough 'outerness'."
Author: Criss Jami
9. "It is great to add some glamour to the food industry, like television shows have done for the food world and inspiring people to work in the industry. The flip side of that is unfortunately people think that after they get their qualifications, they get their invitation to compete on 'Top Chef.'"
Author: Curtis Stone
10. "That is the flip side, you see, to laissez-faire parenting. It succeeds or not, throughout the animal kingdom as it does with humans, in direct relationship to the strength of the offspring. Some of us don't need very much. Some of us need a lot."
Author: Cynthia Rogers Parks
11. "Author points out in Woodrow Wilson the flipside of the positive we might call big picture vision. He observes that as college president Wilson resorted to the language of a national crusade when he met resistance in a local, academic issue."
Author: David Pietrusza
12. "I had to choose, I'd be so sad. They are flip sides of the same coin. I love both comedy and drama."
Author: Dianne Wiest
13. "I am a recovering narcissist. I thought narcissism was about self-love till someone told me there is a flip side to it. It is actually drearier than self-love; it is unrequited self-love."
Author: Emily Levine
14. "A statement about luck is a statement about the mind, not about the world... We find what seems to have been the lucky break or the big mistake, and so we thank our lucky stars that we took the road less traveled or curse the fates that sent that little wavelet that flipped us on our backs. With hindsight, we seem to see that everything preceding the pivotal point was leading up to it, tending toward it, and that everything following it grew from it.To any observer outside the lucky one himself, however, luck is simply chance. Chance is neutral."
Author: Eric Kraft
15. "Are you gonna kill me?" the kid asked.Kid definitely didn't know who he was. There would be fawning.Wait. He looked that scary?Grinning, Evie said, "Nah. You've got nothing to worry about, squirt. Mr. Brothario is a lover, not a fighter."Blue glared at her.Drew flipped him off before rushing inside his house, probably to hide."Aw, how sweet," Evie said, settling in her seat. "I think he was trying to warn you against unleashing your dreadful wrath on sweet, innocent me.""If the poor kid thinks you're sweet, I have to fear his home life."
Author: Gena Showalter
16. "Moving into the hallway, I make the mistake of looking down. The floor seems to drop out from under me, with nothing solid to support me but my own reflection. I take a step, watching the sole of my bare left foot meet its twin rising up on the flipside. I get the weirdest sensation that I won't fall as long as I have the reversed images of my own feet to walk on."
Author: Graham McNamee
17. "The moon is so beautiful. It's a big silver dollar, flipped by God. And it landed scarred side up, see? So He made the world."
Author: Grant Morrison
18. "On the flip side of everything we think we absolutely have pegged lurks an equal amount of the unknown. Understanding is but the sum of our misunderstandings. Just between us, that's my way of comprehending the world. In a nutshell."
Author: Haruki Murakami
19. "The enforcement is the flip side to the growth. And that's OK."
Author: Hilary Rosen
20. "The wired feeling that started when I left my house has grown into a thrumming, crackling, electrical field. I want to kiss Lukas. I want to dance down the street. There's a reason people get drunk after funerals, and I suddenly know what it is: the flip side of sadness is a dark, devouring joy, a life that demands to be fed."
Author: Hilary T. Smith
21. "Hot." The last word, barely a whisper, lost itself in my hair as he pressed his lips to that spot just below my ear that can, apparently, flip the off switch in my brain. Before I realized it my hands were inside that jacket, stroking the hard planes of his chest and stomach. And then, as if moving without any prompting from me they reached down, undid his belt, pulled it loose, and…"Ahhh, that feels great," I moaned."I am completely grossed out over here!" Cassandra informed us.Vayl, who'd been peering down at me with an expression of utter disbelief, stared at Cassandra over the top of my head. "It is not what you think," he assured her."As if I'd do something that disgusting," I said, pulling away from him, but keeping the belt, because the buckle relieved the itching so much better than fingernails. I continued using it to scratch the inflamed skin across my stomach as I sat down by Cassandra."You are pathetic," she told me."I'd get all offended, but I'm pretty sure you're right."
Author: Jennifer Rardin
22. "If you're going to believe in a God, then you also have to equally believe that there's a flip side to this."
Author: Joe Mantegna
23. "The capacity for love that makes dogs such rewarding companions has a flip-side: They find it difficult to cope without us. Since we humans programmed this vulnerability, it's our responsibility to ensure that our dogs do not suffer as a result."
Author: John Bradshaw
24. "It all began when... they're funny, those words. Everyone uses them, without thinking what they mean. When does anything begin? With everyone it begins when you're born. Or before that, when your parents got married. Or before that, when your parents were born. Or when your ancestors colonised the place. Or when humans came squishing out of the mud and slime, dropped off their flippers and fins, and started to walk. But all the same, all that aside, for what's happened to us there was quite a definite beginning"
Author: John Marsden
25. "Humility is the flip side of giving God all the glory. Humility means reveling in his grace, not our goodness."
Author: John Piper
26. "Well, it just goes to show you," the inventor said as he flipped through the pages of notes and ideas, "It is easy to think outside the box when you aren't smart enough to know where the box is."
Author: Joseph R. Lallo
27. "Flora's heart, the lonely, many-armed squid of it, flipped and flailed inside her."
Author: Kate DiCamillo
28. "What's the woman doing there?" he asked."Covering a scratch on the hood. She was cheaper than a new paint job."He flipped through a few more pages of barely dressed women and classic cars. "Nick used to have magazines like this when we were kids. But without the cars." He rotated a photo sideways. "Or the bathing suits."
Author: Kelley Armstrong
29. "If John Lennon was right that life is what happens when you're making other plans, parenthood is what happens when everything is flipped over and spilling everywhere and you can't find a towel or a sponge or your "inside" voice."
Author: Kelly Corrigan
30. "She stared at his sharp teeth and swallowed the lumpthat formed in her throat. "Um, you look scary when youshow your…uh…teeth. They look really sharp."He didn't get angry. In fact, her words seemed toamuse him greatly. "The better to eat you with," heteased softly.Tammy's heart flipped inside her chest. "That's a badjoke, right? Please tell me you're just kidding.""I'm not a wolf.""I'm not wearing red.""I still want to eat you."
Author: Laurann Dohner
31. "I hope it's not genetic, this ridiculous determination to ignore all the people around me and answer a concern with a laissez-faire flip of the hand. If I ever catch myself doing that, I hope I smack myself upside the head in the process."
Author: Lisa Wingate
32. "We think birth is a miracle and death is a tragedy, but really they're flip sides of the same coin - anything born is gonna die."
Author: Mario Van Peebles
33. "I believe in joy, but I believe in the flip-side, agony."
Author: Mercedes McCambridge
34. "Kammy jerked upright. It was as though the trees had parted beneath the pressure of the storm and a bolt of lightning had struck her. She had never entered the mouth for it had always been much too small. Yet, she had never seen anything else enter it either. The thought alone made her feel sick with excitement and fear. A small voice told Kammy that such a reaction was ridiculous, it was just a squirrel. But warmth spread to the tips of Kammy's fingers as they stretched forward. She could see now that it was not a burrow at all, but a tunnel large enough for her to fit through. She was quite sure that she would not even have to bend her head. The same small voice tried to speak again but Kammy could not hear it through the rush of blood in her ears.Kammy stepped inside the mouth of the forest and felt herself flipped upside down."
Author: Natalie Crown
35. "I can do comedy, so people want me to do that, but the other side of comedy is depression. Deep, deep depression is the flip side of comedy. Casting agents don't realize it but in order to be funny you have to have that other side."
Author: Parker Posey
36. "Peace through strength works; but the flip side is war invited by weakness."
Author: Pete Hegseth
37. "Toddlers were running the place like some miniature version of Lord of the Flies, complete with weapons made from blocks and tinker toys. One of them came at me, charging my knees and the pink pod that held my precious baby. I screamed and made a run for the front door, flip-flops sticking to squelchy dried puddles of juice. I let out a relieved sigh when we were outside breathing fresh air. The near-deafening roar of the highway was a lark song compared to the screeching we'd just escaped."
Author: Piper Vaughn
38. "Scott could feel the contents of his stomach flip over and over on themselves. He turned to the side and retched, frothy yellow bile spilled out onto the newspaper covered floor, filling the room with the putrid stench of previously ingested alcohol.'Look's like someone can't hold their drink,' McBlane said, and Dominic and Shugg laughed.Scott was still staring at the steam rising from his evacuated stomach contents as he heard the hammer fall. The dull crack of bone splintering under its weight."
Author: R.D. Ronald
39. "FLY A HELICOPTER? SURE, WHY NOT. Leo had done plenty of crazier things that week. The sun was going down as they flew north over the Richmond Bridge, and Leo couldn't believe the day had gone so quickly. Once again, nothing like ADHD and a good fight to the death to make time fly. Piloting the chopper, he went back and forth between confidence and panic. If he didn't think about it, he found himself automatically flipping the right switches, checking the altimeter, easing back on the stick, and flying straight. If he allowed himself to consider what he was doing, he started freaking out. He imagined his Aunt Rosa yelling at him in Spanish, telling him he was a delinquent lunatic who was going to crash and burn. Part of him suspected she was right. "Going okay?" Piper asked from the copilot's seat. She sounded more nervous than he was, so Leo put on a brave face."
Author: Rick Riordan
40. "I needed the 'Chuck' phase to appreciate the 'Captain Awesome' phase because otherwise I don't think I would have realized the flip side of that coin. I think I needed to see the world through Chuck's eyes before becoming Captain Awesome."
Author: Ryan McPartlin
41. "Hell's only the flip side of Paradise. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate between the two."
Author: Sara Craven
42. "There is a fun, flippant side to me, of course. But I would much rather be known as the Ice Queen."
Author: Siouxsie Sioux
43. "Innocence as we understand it in our culture is very theatrical. The flip side is, if you're charming enough, you can get away with anything."
Author: Susan Choi
44. "Clove!" Cato's voice is much nearer now. I can tell by the pain in it that he sees her on the ground. "You better run now, Fire Girl," says Thresh. I don't need to be told twice. I flip over and my feet dig into the hard-packed earth as I run away from Thresh and Clove and the sound of Cato's voice. Only when I reach the woods do I turn back for an instant. Thresh and both large backpacks are vanishing over the edge of the plain into the area I've never seen. Cato kneels beside Clove, spear in hand, begging her to stay with him. In a moment, he will realize it's futile, she can't be saved."
Author: Suzanne Collins
45. "It was then that my gaze happened to fall on the bookcase, on the gap there, where the old paperback of "Nine Stories" had fallen flat. "Where's the thing?" I said. "What thing?" "The mesh. My mesh." She shrugged. "I tossed it." "Tossed it? Where? What do you mean?" In the next moment I was in the kitchen, flipping open the lid of the trash can, only to find it empty. "You mean outside?" I shouted. "In the dumpster?" When I came thundering back into the room, she still hadn't moved. "Jesus, what were you thinking? That was mine. I wanted that. I wanted to keep it." Her lips barely moved. "It was dirty."
Author: T.C. Boyle
46. "The flip side of the coin of which Good and Evil are but one side."
Author: Terry Pratchett
47. "Betrayal was the flip side of loyalty."
Author: Tiffany Snow
48. "I open the door to the fear landscape room and flip open the small black box that was in my back pocket to see the syringes inside. This is the box I have always used, padded around the needles; it is a sign of something sick inside me, or something brave."
Author: Veronica Roth
49. "Moderation is actually the flip side of dieting, that is, imposed deprivation."
Author: Victoria Moran
50. "In many ways, the young are more religiously minded than the older generations. I think it's the flip side of an age of individualism. Youngsters are not afraid to tell you what they think, to express their faith and be quite exuberant about it."
Author: Vincent Nichols
Quotes About The Flip Side Pictures