Famous Quotes About Turns
Browse 1785 famous quotes and sayings about Turns.
Top Quotes About Turns
1. "Since his mother died I have seen him steam a cucumber thinking it was zucchini. That's the kind of thing that turns my heart right over."
Author: Amy Hempel
2. "I pray not to be such a whiny, self-obsessed baby, and give thanks that I am not quite as bad as I used to be (talk about miracles). Then something comes up, and I overreact and blame and sulk, and it feels like I haven't made any progress at all. But it turns out I'm less of a brat than before, and I hit the reset button much sooner, shake it off, and get my sense if humor back."
Author: Anne Lamott
3. "Life, it turns out, is infinitely more clever and adaptable than anyone had ever supposed."
Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
4. "God is indeed the righteous Judge. When Christ returns, those who rejected Him will literally cry to the mountains, "‘Fall on us!' and to the hills, ‘Cover us!'" (Luke 23:30). Judgment is coming, but may the thought of it cause us to weep, plead, and pray. Never boast or feel satisfaction. Only one thing stands between us and the lost: a blood-stained cross."
Author: Beth Moore
5. "As I lie in my bed,Your name running through my head.All I can think of is youAnd all that you do.The way you look at me.I feel as if I'm in a dream.The blue skyReminds me of your eyesWhich gives me butterflies.You have brightened my lifeWith that beautiful smile.No longer are my days a trial.Your touch is like heaven,Upon my young skin.If only you knewThat what I say is trueI would do anything just to be with you.Hand to hand, palm to palmJust hold me in your arms,I love you with all my heart'Till the very day it falls apart.I may be youngBut my heart is strong.I know what love isIt's my name and his.You make all the problems float awayNo matter how was my day.I love our heart to heart chatsWhen our beats connect,And when my head starts to fade backFrom when the blue skyTurns sacred black."
Author: Bethany Walkers
6. "The word Renaissance helps to impose a factitious unity on all the untidy and heterogeneous events which are going on in those centuries as in any others. Thus the "imaginary entity" creeps in. Renaissance becomes the name for some character or quality supposed to be immanent in all events, and collects very serious emotional overtones in the process. Then as every attempt to define this mysterious character or quality turns out to uncover all sorts of things that were there before the chosen period, a curious procedure is adopted. Instead of admitting that our definition has broken down, we adopt the desperate expedient that "the Renaissance" must have begun earlier than we had thought. (55)"
Author: C.S. Lewis
7. "How did Kirchmann understand the worthlessness of jurisprudence ? The answer lies in the aphorism: "Three revisions by the legislator and whole libraries became wastepaper." With a sharp alteration this answer became a slogan:"A stroke of the legislator's pen and whole libraries became wastepaper." Another aphorism in the same vein made the point even more brusquely and less politely: "Positive law turns the jurist into a worm in rotten wood." Kirchmann meant that jurisprudence could never catch up with legislation. Thus our predicament becomes immediately obvious. What remains of a science reduced to annotating and interpreting constantly changing regulations issued by state agencies presumed to be in the best position to know and articulate their true intent?"
Author: Carl Schmitt
8. "Dear Maya,Life is an illusion.And as it turns out, so is death.What is real?What remains when we all fade away?Two things: Love. Forgiveness.Don't forget"
Author: Cathy Ostlere
9. "I have a preponderance to look smug in photos; something to do with the way my mouth turns up at the corners."
Author: Chris Ware
10. "When a clown kills somebody, that's new—that's something you've never seen before. Here's someone you thought was good, and he's doing something so terrible that normal human emotion can't even deal with it—and then he turns around and does something good again. That's fascinating. It's not weird to be obsessed with that, it's weird not to be."
Author: Dan Wells
11. "You said you left Mississippi in 1854," Ron says. He turns to Mamuwalde and asks "Were you a runaway slave?" "Not at all," Cindy Lou answers. "Daddy freed him." Ron's jaw almost hits the floor. His wine glass does."
Author: Daven Anderson
12. "It is very hard to stay alive just for your own sake. It is very hard to stare into day after day without another familiar face staring back. It turns your heart into a purposeless muscle."
Author: David Levithan
13. "You know the drill—your child cruises over to the coffee table and throws the remote control at the dog. But before he does it, he turns his head and looks over at you with a devilish grin on his face. That's because you've already told him, ten times, this is not okay."
Author: Denise Fields
14. "I'm not a trained chef, so I end up making stuff up. It either turns out brilliant or an absolute disaster. I just go for it."
Author: Eric Balfour
15. "On fine summer evenings, at the hour when the warm streets are empty and the maids play shuttlecock in doorways, he would open his window and lean out on the sill. The river, which turns this part of Rouen into a sort of shabby little Venice, flowed by beneath him, yellow, violet or blue between its bridges and its railings. Some workmen were crouched down on the bank, washing their arms in the water. On poles projecting from the lofts up above, skeins of cotton hung out to dry. In front, away beyond the roof-tops, was a pure expanse of sky with a red sun setting. How good it would be over yonder, now! How cool under the beeches! He opened his nostrils to breathe in the wholesome country smells - which failed to reach him here."
Author: Gustave Flaubert
16. "There is a pause, while she turns the great pages of her volume of rage, and puts her finger on just the right word."
Author: Hilary Mantel
17. "Turns he didn't expect. When the plan backfired, she disappeared. A shadow belonging"
Author: J.C. Reed
18. "He specializes in virgins! The brush of his fingertips turns virgins into slobbering mush." Mary Lou Molnar"
Author: Janet Evanovich
19. "Roe Deer, when your spirit returns to the Great Earth Mother, thank Her for giving us one of your kind, that we may eat," Jondalar said quietly."
Author: Jean M. Auel
20. "This is your heart.Keep it locked until the chap turns up who has the key."
Author: Jean Webster
21. "Don't you ever think of going back?" Silly question. There are threads that help you find your way back, and there are threads that intend to bring you back. Mind turns to the pull, it's hard to pull away. I'm always thinking of going back. When Lot's wife looked over her shoulder, she turned into a pillar of salt.Pillars hold things up, and salt keeps things clean, but it's a poor exchange for losing your self. People do go back, but they don't survive, because two realities are claiming them at the same time. Such things are too much. You can salt your heart, or kill your heart, or you can choose between two realities. There is much pain here. Some people think you can have your cake and eat it. The cake goes mouldy and they choke on what's left."
Author: Jeanette Winterson
22. "Grief turns out to be a place none of us know until we reach it. We anticipate (we know) that someone close to us could die, but we do not look beyond the few days or weeks that immediately follow such an imagined death. We misconstrue the nature of even those few days or weeks. We might expect if the death is sudden to feel shock. We do not expect this shock to be obliterative, dislocating to both body and mind. We might expect that we will be prostrate, inconsolable, crazy with loss. We do not expect to be literally crazy, cool customers who believe their husband is about to return and need his shoes."
Author: Joan Didion
23. "A Protestant has seldom any mercy shown him, and a Jew, who turns Christian, is far from being secure."
Author: John Foxe
24. "We are not as Christ-centered and cross-cherishing as we should be, because we do not ponder the truth that everything good, and everything bad that God turns for the good, was purchased by the sufferings of Christ."
Author: John Piper
25. "Lady Sylvia McCordle: Mr Weissman -- Tell us about the film you're going to make.Morris Weissman: Oh, sure. It's called "Charlie Chan In London". It's a detective story.Mabel Nesbitt: Set in London?Morris Weissman: Well, not really. Most of it takes place at a shooting party in a country house. Sort of like this one, actually. Murder in the middle of the night, a lot of guests for the weekend, everyone's a suspect. You know, that sort of thing.Constance: How horrid. And who turns out to have done it?Morris Weissman: Oh, I couldn't tell you that. It would spoil it for you.Constance: Oh, but none of us will see it."
Author: Julian Fellowes
26. "Actors are greedy. They can never be satisfied. I want praise as well as box office returns."
Author: Kareena Kapoor Khan
27. "Momma was with the pony last night. Lily and me have him in the mornings, and we give him a wash with the shammy cloths and a soapy bucket so he's ready for Jade to look after him the next night. I think Momma must ride him too rough because he's always sweating and white-eyed when we get him, pulling tight at his rope and spreading his wide beige lips. He won't settle forever and ever, he just turns circles around the stake. Me and Lily get nervy watching him paw scoops out of the backyard soil."
Author: Kirsty Logan
28. "To look into what will be isn't unlike self-abuse. To watch yourself march through possibilities, to follow the truth through all those twists and turns. Just a little might stunt your growth." I thought of Jane, tiny and older than Gorgoth. "Or make you go blind." His cataracts seemed opalescent in the Builder light. "And if you look too far, if you look to see what waits for us all at the end . . ." "Tell me." Father Merrin shook his head. "It burns." And for an instant I glimpsed a skinless hand holding a copper box."
Author: Mark Lawrence
29. "A discovery is like falling in love and reaching the top of a mountain after a hard climb all in one, an ecstasy not induced by drugs but by the revelation of a face of nature that no one has seen before and that often turns out to be more subtle and wonderful than anyone had imagined."
Author: Max F. Perutz
30. "It's Tolstoy, by the way," I say as I open the door.He turns around. "What?"Shut up, I tell myself. Shut up."The writer of Anna Karenina. Not Trotsky. Trotsky was a revolutionary who was stabbed with apickax in Mexico in 1940. But I can understand how the T thing could confuse you."
Author: Melina Marchetta
31. "Readers probably haven't heard much about it yet, but they will. Quantum technology turns ordinary reality upside down."
Author: Michael Crichton
32. "Life twists and turns - especially when you don't expect it."
Author: Molly Looby
33. "I wish I could've lived my life without making any wrong turns. But that's impossible. A path like that doesn't exist. We fail. We trip. We get lost. We make mistakes. And little by little, one step at a time, we push forward. It's all we can do. On our own two feet."
Author: Natsuki Takaya
34. "Dullard: Someone who looks up a thing in the encyclopedia, turns directly to the entry, reads it, and then closes the book."
Author: Philip José Farmer
35. "I shall possess this woman; I shall steal her from the husband who profanes her: I will even dare ravish her from the God whom she adores. What delight, to be in turns the object and the victor of her remorse! Far be it from me to destroy the prejudices which sway her mind! They will add to my happiness and my triumph. Let her believe in virtue, and sacrifice it to me; let the idea of falling terrify her, without preventing her fall; and may she, shaken by a thousand terrors, forget them, vanquish them only in my arms."
Author: Pierre Choderlos De Laclos
36. "I scrupulously hide every legitimate reason for people to hate me, and it turns out they don't need legitimate reasons. Heaven has fashioned a knife of irony to stab me with."
Author: Rachel Hartman
37. "Storm returns with close-cropped hair the color of corn silk and a new swagger."
Author: Rae Carson
38. "To reach him you have to back up and back up, and the further back you go, the further back you see you have to go, until what looked like a small problem of communication turns into a major philosophic inquiry."
Author: Robert M. Pirsig
39. "Why must people be hateful toward anyone who is different?Because we live in a fallen world, my girl. I'm afraid people will continue to find reasons to hate until the day Jesus returns."
Author: Robin Lee Hatcher
40. "I felt I was drawing close to that age, that place in life, where you realize one day what you'd told yourself was a Zen detachment turns out to be naked fear. You'd had one serious love relationship in your life and it had ended in tragedy, and the tragedy had broken something inside you. But instead of trying to repair the broken place, or at least really stop and look at it, you skated and joked. You had friends, you were a decent citizen. You hurt no one. And your life was somehow just about half of what it could be."
Author: Roland Merullo
41. "That agony returns;And till my ghastly tale is told,This heart within me burns."
Author: Samuel Taylor Coleridge
42. "Tis this desire of bending all things to our own purposes which turns them into confusion and is the chief source of every error in our lives."
Author: Sarah Fielding
43. "Being a nerd, which is to say going too far and caring too much about a subject, is the best way to make friends I know. For me, the spark that turns an acquaintance into a friend has usually been kindled by some shared enthusiasm . . . At fifteen, I couldn't say two words about the weather or how I was doing, but I could come up with a paragraph or two about the album Charlie Parker with Strings. In high school, I made the first real friends I ever had because one of them came up to me at lunch and started talking about the Cure."
Author: Sarah Vowell
44. "Now, the essence, the very spirit of Christmas is that we first make believe a thing is so, and lo, it presently turns out to be so."
Author: Stephen Leacock
45. "Others may sit around and wait for magic to happen… I like to get up early and work towards my goals and dreams. Every morning I plant the seeds of what the haters call ‘luck.' Now, I love magic as much as the next guy, but I realized a long time ago that the magic that turns dreams into reality is YOU. When you are inspired by a dream, create a good plan. Creating that plan turns your dream into a goal. Then, take action! Live your life in a way that will bring that dream, that goal, to life. The magic is you."
Author: Steve Maraboli
46. "It didn't look like the kind of snow that whispers down gently in the pit of the night and in the morning turns the landscape into a glittering wonderland of uncommon and ethereal beauty. It looked like the kind of snow that intends to make the world as bloody cold as possible."
Author: Terry Pratchett
47. "Still, when all is said, somewhere one must belong: even the soaring falcon returns to its master's wrist."
Author: Truman Capote
48. "Furniture is like that. Used and enjoyed as intended, it absorbs the experience and exudes it back into the atmosphere, but if simply bought for effect and left to languish in a corner, it vibrates with melancholy. Furnishings in museums... are as unspeakably tragic as the unvisited inmates of old folk's homes. The untuned violins and hardback books used to bring 'character' to postwar suburban pubs crouch uncomfortably in their imposed roles like caged pumas in a zoo. The stately kitchen that is never or rarely used to bring forth lavish feasts for appreciative audiences turns inward and cold."
Author: Will Wiles
49. "Here lies resting, out of breath,Out of turns, ElizabethWhose quicksilver toes not quiteCleared the whirring edge of night."
Author: X.J. Kennedy
50. "I believe in Karma. If the good is sown, the good is collected. When positive things are made, that returns well."
Author: Yannick Noah
Quotes About Turns Pictures