Famous Quotes About Unspoken
Browse 143 famous quotes and sayings about Unspoken.
Top Quotes About Unspoken
1. "I cannot be made into the commentator for the unspoken black masses."
Author: Aaron McGruder
2. "Going back to school is like going back in time. Immediately, for better or for worse, you must give up a little piece of your autonomy in order to become part of the group. And every group, of course, has its hierarchies and rules- spoken and unspoken. It is like learning to live once again in a family- which, of course, is the setting where all learning begins."
Author: Alice Steinbach
3. "Unable to come up with any tactful response, I decided to go for honesty instead."That sounds like a lot of fun, Mr. G—Brendan. But, um . . . I'm kind of trying to get out to, you know, meet people."With my dick. I left that part unspoken."Meet— Oh." Enlightenment dawned. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped a little. Then his ears turned red. "Meet people. Right. Yeah, you probably don't want me around for that."
Author: Amelia C. Gormley
4. "Marrying Cal, the scion of a family whose wealth dated to the Industrial Revolution and had multiplied through every turn of the American economy since, ought to have eased her worries about failing to climb as high as she believed she deserved. But the money was his, not theirs. The unspoken power this gave him kept her from asking: Why don't you stay home?"
Author: Amy Waldman
5. "There are some words that once spoken will split the world in two. There would be the life before you breathed them and then the altered life after they'd been said. They take a long time to find, words like that. They make you hesitate. Choose with care. Hold on to them unspoken for as long as you can just so your world will stay intact."
Author: Andrea Levy
6. "The celebrationsOf secret nonmeetings are empty,Unspoken conversations,Unuttered words.Glances that don't intersectDon't know where to come to rest.And only the tears rejoiceBecause they can flow and flow. Sweetbrier around Moscow,Alas! Somehow it is here ...And all this they will callLove eternal."
Author: Anna Akhmatova
7. "What about me?" I whisper. "Where do I belong?""With me," my mother and Galen say in unison. They exchange hard glares. Galen locks his jaw."I'm her mother," she tells Galen, her voice sharp. "Her place is with me.""I want her for my mate," Galen says. The admission warms up the space between us with an impossible heat and I want to melt into him. His words, his declaration, cannot be unspoken. And now he's declared it to everyone who matters. It's out there in the open, hanging in the air. He wants me for his mate. Me. Him. Forever."
Author: Anna Banks
8. "He left the unspoken question hanging in the air. How did one annoy a two- kilometre-long black rectangular slab? And just what form would its disapproval take"
Author: Arthur C. Clarke
9. "The snowy owl has eyes that look just like mine, especially when it widens them. And while I stand there, staring at it, lowering my sunglasses, something unspoken passes between me and the bird - there's this weird kind of tension, a bizarre pressure, that fuels the following, which starts, happens, ends, very quickly."
Author: Bret Easton Ellis
10. "Religion is the emulation of the adult by the child. Religion is the encystment of past beliefs: mythology, which is guesswork, the hidden assumptions of trust in the universe, those pronouncements which men have made in search of personal power . . . all mingled with shreds of enlightenment. And always the ultimate unspoken commandment is "Thou shalt not question!" But we do anyway. We break that commandment as a matter of course. The work to which we have set ourselves is the liberating of the imagination, the harnessing of imagination to humankind's deepest sense of creativity."
Author: Brian Herbert
11. "I'm like Courtney Love without the drugs, right? Edgy. Full of unspoken feeling.' 'You're a brick when the guy is real and in front of you."
Author: Cath Crowley
12. "I learned what research was all about as a research student [with] Stoppani ... Max Perutz, and ... Fred Sanger... From them, I always received an unspoken message which in my imagination I translated as 'Do good experiments, and don't worry about the rest."
Author: César Milstein
13. "I was to grow used to hearing, around New York, the annoying way in which people would say: 'Edward Said, such a suave and articulate and witty man,' with the unspoken suffix 'for a Palestinian.' It irritated him, too, naturally enough, but in my private opinion it strengthened him in his determination to be an ambassador or spokesman for those who lived in camps or under occupation (or both). He almost overdid the ambassadorial aspect if you ask me, being always just too faultlessly dressed and spiffily turned out. Fools often contrasted this attention to his tenue with his membership of the Palestine National Council, the then-parliament-in-exile of the people without a land. In fact, his taking part in this rather shambolic assembly was a kind of noblesse oblige: an assurance to his landsmen (and also to himself) that he had not allowed and never would allow himself to forget their plight. The downside of this noblesse was only to strike me much later on."
Author: Christopher Hitchens
14. "We had an unspoken love for one another. Probably because she'd never talk to me or return my phone calls or texts."
Author: Dark Jar Tin Zoo
15. "The men skipped their traditional greeting. They'd dropped the ritual. This was their unspoken acknowledgment of Beckett's absence."
Author: Debra Anastasia
16. "I had read history too closely, read of Caesar and the Roman Empire. I had not noticed that in the books there were white spaces between each line; the white spaces are there to remind you of the unspoken, unwritten truth. When one only reads the words and does not read what is not written in the book, then one will never learn to understand."
Author: Erik Christian Haugaard
17. "We live in the shadow of crime with the unspoken understanding that we are victims.. of fear, of violence, of social impotence. A man has risen to show us that the power is, ans always has been, in our hands. We are under siege. He's showing us that we can resist."
Author: Frank Miller
18. "Diets are based on the unspoken fear that you are a madwoman, a food terrorist, a lunatic…The promise of a diet is not only that you will have a different body; it is that in having a different body, you will have a different life. If you hate yourself enough, you will love yourself. If you torture yourself enough, you will become a peaceful, relaxed human being."
Author: Geneen Roth
19. "Oh, Coral, Coral," he murmured, his one almost reproachful, but still he did not make any attempt to cross the space between them. Unspoken words and unfulfilled gestures trembled in the air. In the flickering light of the fire, his bronze skin glowed warmly. Rafe stood there very still, the muscles in his body tense. Coral knew he was waiting for her. She could feel the familiar ache, shattering the last of her control. Before she knew it, she was against him, her arms around his neck. She looked up at him, her lips parted, soft and moist."
Author: Hannah Fielding
20. "My father'sabsence was an unspoken void that lived within ourwalls, and although I longed for the day I, too, would fallin love, I was fearful. What if the person who wouldsomeday hold my heart disappeared too?"
Author: Jennifer Murgia
21. "With every strike of lightning Comes a memory that lasts Not a word is left unspoken As the thunder starts to crash Maybe I should give upStanding out in the rain Need to know if it's over Cause I would leave you alone I'm flooded with all this pain Knowing that I'll never hold her Like I did before the storm"
Author: Jonas Brothers
22. "I think I know now why Jesus had such a tender spot in his heart for the poor. It takes great faith and simplicity of spirit to be poor and not despair. It takes enormous courage to decide to keep on living. The homeless are remarkable people. Their very life is a prayer -- desperate, silent, unspoken pleading with God to keep them alive. And by some miracle, no, not one miracle, but by a continuous chain of miracles all day long and all night, they do stay alive, especially on freezing cold days and nights."
Author: Joseph F. Girzone
23. "Secrets that reside in the mind of one person aren't really secrets. They're unspoken fears."
Author: Josh Kilmer Purcell
24. "It happened all the time. Maybe someone had a legitimate gripe that deserved airing. Maybe someone had a compliment that shouldn't go unspoken. No one said a thing. So long and stay in touch, that's usually all we said. Take care of yourself, good luck. We said nothing about affection, appreciation, admiration."
Author: Joshua Ferris
25. "Yes, but . . ." She hesitated, her gaze finally coming to me. "I survived because I fell in love." With you was unspoken."
Author: Kim Harrison
26. "The unspoken word never does harm."
Author: Lajos Kossuth
27. "Come back and break me, don't let this go unspoken. I'm numb when I'm whole and you left me unbroken."
Author: Lexi Ryan
28. "I try to hide the smile I feel that he's coming in without me having to ask. It's like some unspoken agreement has been reached between us. I'm his and he's mine."
Author: M. Leighton
29. "I'm not used to girls, or familiar with their customs. I feel awkward around them, I don't know what to say. I know the unspoken rules of boys, but with girls I sense that I am always on the verge of some unforeseen, calamitous blunder."
Author: Margaret Atwood
30. "I followed your footsteps," he said, in answer to the unspoken question. "Snow makes it easy." I had been tracked, like a bear. "Sorry to make you go to all that trouble," I said. "I didn't have to go that far, really. You're about three streets over. You just kept going in loops." A really inept bear."
Author: Maureen Johnson
31. "Knowing what you need doesn't always mean you know how to get it, though. I'd spent a long time hiding in my cave. No matter how much I might want to come out into the light, I knew it would hurt my eyes. I was a fool. A fool, but nevertheless too smart not to know I was the architect of my own demise, that it was time to put my past behind me. It was time to stop allowing the white elephants to stand unspoken of in my living room."
Author: Megan Hart
32. "So much of courtship is the unspoken."
Author: Megan McCafferty
33. "But perhaps, after so much talk and fighting, unspoken words do create a silence in whose gentleness the survivors of good and bad can sleep easy."
Author: Miljenko Jergović
34. "He kissed her, and something moved between them, an unspoken bond pulling them together over what they had gone through and what they would face. But those memoires and thoughts faded away until there was nothing but the sensation of his lips on hers, the exchange of breath and the soft harmony of hearts beating. For one blissful moment they were nothing but feelings and physical sensation. The moment lasted a very long time."
Author: Mindee Arnett
35. "It stands as an unspoken warning to everyy Unwind there. You will get with the program,or your stay here will be very, very, short. The lesson is always learned."
Author: Neal Shusterman
36. "I've really written my books for my husband and our family. They've brought us closer together by allowing us to discuss things that were unspoken for so long."
Author: Pamela Stephenson
37. "We rode along in silence, thinking our private thoughts. Charlie and I had an unspoken agreement not to throw ourselves into speedy travel just after a meal. There were many hardships to our type of life and we took these small comforts as they came; I found they added up to something decent enough to carry on"
Author: Patrick DeWitt
38. "Those who are near me do not know that you are nearer to me than they areThose who speak to me do not know that my heart is full with your unspoken wordsThose who crowd in my path do not know that I am walking alone with youThose who love me do not know that their love brings you to my heart"
Author: Rabindranath Tagore
39. "You can rely too much, my love, on the unspoken things. And the wry smile. I have that smile myself, and I've learned the silence too, over the years. Along with your expressions, like No notion and Of necessity. What happens, though, when it is all unsaid, is that you wake up one morning, no, it's more like late one afternoon, and it's not just unsaid, it's gone. That's all. Just gone. I remember this word, that look, that small inflection, after all this. I used to hold them, trust them, read them like a rune. Like a sign that there was a house, a billet, a civilization where we were. I look back and I think I was just there all alone. Collecting wisps and signs."
Author: Renata Adler
40. "Until recently, most environmental organizations offered only token attention to children. Perhaps their lack of zeal stems from an unconscious ambivalence about children, who symbolize or represent overpopulation. So goes the unspoken mantra: We have met the enemy and it is our progeny."
Author: Richard Louv
41. "And I know that I am. I am his moon, and his brightly shining star. I am his life, his heart. I am all that and the answer to every unspoken question, the comfort for every hurt, the companion who will walk beside him from now until the end of our lives, reveling in the bliss of each simple chore done in his name, overflowing with beauty because I am blessed to spend my life with my love."
Author: Stacey Jay
42. "Mirabelle knows, and she lets this be unspoken, that all free things require conversation. Sitting in a darkened movie theatre requires absolutely no conversation at all, whereas a free date, like a walk down Hollywood Boulevard in the busy evening, requires comments, chatter, observations, and with luck, wit. She worries that since they have only exchanged perhaps two dozen words between them, these free dates will be horrible."
Author: Steve Martin
43. "And our resistance against changing our habits of thought is immense and unrelenting. If we try, briefly, we find it ass vexing and unrewarding as writing a letter with the left hand. What we are used to is comfortable; what is comfortable is good; and what is good is right - this is the unspoken belief of almost all people everywhere. When a scientist, however, tackles a problem that has hitherto seemed insoluble, he abandons all his preconceptions, and all the preconceptions of the past. Only when he begins to question the basic assumptions he has always held can he make an utterly fresh start, unencumbered by the intellectual baggage of the past."
Author: Sydney J. Harris
44. "Orange Juice? Sure. Toast? Sure. One last time on the couch? Sure. Phone number? Sure. See you again? Oooh, absolutely. That was the lie I told. Probably not, that was the truth, that was that which went unspoken."
Author: T. Scott McLeod
45. "This form, this face, this life living to live in a world of time beyond me; let me resign my life for this life, my speech for that unspoken, the awakened, lips parted, the hope, the new ships."
Author: T.S. Eliot
46. "Love is a wordless unspoken poem"
Author: Tarif Naaz
47. "Unspoken words between you and I,Present in the eyes of knowing,Lost in the realm of unforeseen beauty,I am yours."
Author: Truth Devour
48. "Part of her—a small but defiant part, the part that still remembered her girlhood fantasies—desperately wanted to trust him, but the stronger part remembered how he had thoughtlessly cast her aside. "We can't always have what we want, Marcus. You must accustom yourself to disappointment." As I have. The unspoken words hung between them.Marcus' mouth twitched. "But there you are wrong, my love. I always get what I want."
Author: Victoria Vane
49. "The air was heavy with unspoken knowledge. Sam twisted and the obscene word shot out of him. "--dance?"Memory of the dance that none of them had attended shook all four boys convulsively."
Author: William Golding
50. "You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic."
Author: Winston Churchill
Quotes About Unspoken Pictures