Famous Quotes About War 1984
Browse 28 famous quotes and sayings about War 1984.
Top Quotes About War 1984
1. "Nobel was a genuine friend of peace. He even went so far as to believe that he had invented a tool of destruction, dynamite, which would make war so senseless that it would become impossible. He was wrong."
Author: Alva Myrdal
2. "New Rule: Since Glenn Beck is clearly onto us, liberals must launch our plan for socialist domination immediately. Listen closely, comrades, I've received word from General Soros and our partners in the UN--Operation Streisand is a go. Markos Moulitsas, you and your Daily Kos-controlled army of gay Mexican day laborers will join with Michael Moore's Prius tank division north of Branson, where you will seize the guns of everyone who doesn't blame America first, forcing them into the FEMA concentration camps. That's where ACORN and I will re-educate them as atheists and declare victory in the war on Christmas."
Author: Bill Maher
3. "New Rule: If you married a manic-depressive, three of your children died, and while you were president civil war broke out and someone shot you in the head, your coin really shouldn't say, "In God We Trust."
Author: Bill Maher
4. "Tell me my heart beats a war drumthat my eyes are not just armiesbut my spineis a harpoon."
Author: Buddy Wakefield
5. "Oh, but Masha, can't you see? You are. An Ivan has come. That is like saying, Midnight has struck. It is time for bed, little one. You cannot have both. In war you must always choose sides. One or the other. Silver or black. Human or demon. If you try to be a bridge laid down between them, they will tear you in half."
Author: Catherynne M. Valente
6. "Killing Japanese didn't bother me very much at that time... I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal."
Author: Curtis LeMay
7. "Oh Kareen why do they have a war right now just when we find each other? Kareen we've got more important things than war. Us Kareen you and me in a house. I'll come home at night to you in my house your house our house. We'll have fat happy kids smart kids too. That's more important than a war. Oh Kareen I look at you and you're only nineteen and you're old old like an old woman. Kareen I look at you and I cry inside and I bleed."
Author: Dalton Trumbo
8. "I do not believe, given her past decisions and comments on the reasons to go to war in Iraq, that Dr. Rice will be able to represent the United States without a predetermined bias from the war."
Author: Daniel Akaka
9. "What a hell of a welcome. I'm sorry. But there's so much still to do outside before the weather closes, and we have to tackle all the dreary minutiæ on weapons and theory where all your knightly warriors start losing their tempers and you have to go through a deadly routine of light relief with competitions and war jokes and community singing, and long, long stories of rape and battle and Generals I have Known."
Author: Dorothy Dunnett
10. "A rebel can be a miserable and contemptible man; but there is nothing contemptible in a revolt as such - and to be a rebel in view of contemporary society does not in itself lower the value of a man. There are even cases in which one might have to honour a rebel,because he finds something in our society against which war ought to be waged - he wakens us from our slumber."
Author: Friedrich Nietzsche
11. "...und ich sage nicht, daß es mehr war als Eitelkeit, weshalb ich die Bühne wieder verlassen habe. Lächerlich, Vater, ich bin gegangen, weil einmal, als ich spielte, ein Polizeipräsident geweint hatte. Aber bedenke auch, ob dies erträglich war. Feinheiten letzten Grades, Einsicht in Herzen, hohe Moral, Modernität des Intellekts und der Seele stelle ich für Menschen dar, die meinesgleichen scheinen, weil sie mir zuwinken und betroffene Gesichter haben. Nachher liefern sie Revolutionäre aus und schießen auf Streikende. [...] Kunst bleibt Kunst, und alles Ungestüm des Geistes rührt nie am Leben."
Author: Heinrich Mann
12. "It is a neglected but essential fact that we cannot appreciate the relationship between religion and violence unless we grasp the nature and meaning of the two partners in this relationship. Yet our understandings both of religion and of violence are inadequate. Further, we usually consider too few offspring of their troubled marriage: when we think of "religious violence," we tend to think only of holy war and (especially since September 11) religious terrorism. However, those are not the only types of religious violence."
Author: Jack David Eller
13. "Die Juden, die Deutschen, diese Trennung der Begriffe wollte mir nicht in den Sinn, nicht aus dem Sinn, es war die peinvollste Überlegung, darüber mit mir selbst ins klare zu kommen."
Author: Jakob Wassermann
14. "Preparation for war is a constant stimulus to suspicion and ill will."
Author: James Monroe
15. "She did not respond, only clung harder to my embrace, and I held her with all the afflictions of a man torn by love. What a miracle she was, what a truly exquisite paragon of beauty and virtue so incredibly combined. And all perhaps wrenched from my grasp because of a war I had no real interest in nor knowledge of. In that moment I did not care who won, if only it would end and I could be with her. I would accept the whole responsibility of defeat if I had to, if only it meant a life with her by my side.I just wanted her. Needed her. As simply and clearly as one needs food and oxygen and light, I needed her in my life.And above us, flittering tranquilly in the trees above, the finches and skylarks continued to sing peacefully into the fading sun."
Author: Jamie L. Harding
16. "But when Christopher mentioned that he and Talbott had been trying to package post-Cold War policy in a single phrase, Kennan said they shouldn't. "Containment" had been a misleading oversimplification; strategy could not be made to fit a "bumper sticker." The president laughed when Talbott told him what had happened: "that's why Kennan's a great diplomat and scholar but not a politician."
Author: John Lewis Gaddis
17. "God is with the vanquished, not with the victors! At a time when His Holiness, the infallible Pope of Christendom, is concluding a peace agreement, a Concordat, with the enemies of Christ, when the Protestant's are establishing a "German church" and censoring the Bible, we descendants of the old Jews, the forefathers of European culture, are the only legitimate German representatives of that culture. Thanks to inscrutable divine wisdom, we are physically incapable of betraying it to the heathen civilization of poison gases, to the ammonia-breathing, Germanic war god."
Author: Joseph Roth
18. "If image is everything, how can the Democratic presidential hopefuls compete with a President fresh from a war victory."
Author: Judy Woodruff
19. "He wondered what it was like for her to be reading about what happened instead of having lived through it—seeing the war in fading calibrated text instead of in blood."
Author: Laekan Zea Kemp
20. "I see war as that insane enterprise wherein men dig up the riches of the earth and hurl them at one another. —ATTRIBUTED TO JOSEPH DANIEL HARRINGTON"
Author: Larry Niven
21. "God doesn't like lesbians," Grandma Huberman hised, throwing the magazine in the trash.Jennifer knew what lesbian meant, and she knew she probably was one. But she couldn't understand why God would hold that against her or against Monica Mathers, who'd never started a war or killed anybody, and whose deadeye three-pointers were straight-up amazing. After all, hadn't God made both of them? But people were like that, she'd noticed. They'd invoke Godly privilege at the weirdest of times and for the most stupid reasons."
Author: Libba Bray
22. "See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel. That's literally true."
Author: Milton Friedman
23. "…you'll learn that war only destroys. No one escapes from a war. No one. Not even the survivors. You accept things that would appall you at any other time because life has temporarily lost all meaning."
Author: Patrick Ness
24. "A friend in the War Office warned me that I was in Kitchener's black books, and that orders had been given for my arrest next time I appeared in France."
Author: Philip Gibbs
25. "For a war correspondent to miss an invasion is like refusing a date with Lana Turner."
Author: Robert Capa
26. "And in the end, of course, a true war story is never about war. It's about sunlight. It's about the special way that dawn spreads out on a river when you know you must cross the river and march into the mountains and do things you are afraid to do. It's about love and memory. It's about sorrow. It's about sisters who never write back and people who never listen."
Author: Tim O'Brien
27. "Before the war Sofya Levinton had once said to Yevgenia Nikolaevna Shaposhnikova, 'If one man is fated to be killed by another, it would be interesting to trace the gradual convergence of their paths. At the start they might be miles away from one another – I might be in Pamir picking alpine roses and clicking my camera, while this other man, my death, might be eight thousand miles away, fishing for ruff in a little stream after school. I might be getting ready to go to a concert and he might be at the railway station buying a ticket to go and visit his mother-in-law – and yet eventually we are bound to meet, we can't avoid it..."
Author: Vasily Grossman
28. "Having now reached a point where danger might be reasonably apprehended from strolling war parties of Indians, spies were kept in advance and strict diligence observed in the duty of sentinels."
Author: William Henry Ashley
Quotes About War 1984 Pictures