Famous Quotes About Yann
Browse 46 famous quotes and sayings about Yann.
Top Quotes About Yann
1. "...Obyann, you're talking about the Landemere-Ramaldah border dispute of 1416. Damn it, man, that was in the time of our grandfathers."
Author: Andrew Ashling
2. "- Maman, je te présente Yannick Jeffrey. Il vient de me demander en mariage.- Quoi ?Océane prit la main de son ami et l'entraîna vers le jardin.- Depuis combien de temps le connais-tu ? s'inquiéta Andromède en les suivant.- Depuis deux mille ans."
Author: Anne Robillard
3. "It seems priggish or pollyannaish to deny that my intention in writing the work was to titillate the nastier propensities of my readers. My own healthy inheritance of original sin comes out in the book and I enjoyed raping and ripping by proxy. It is the novelist's innate cowardice that makes him depute to imaginary personalities the sins that he is too cautious to commit for himself."
Author: Anthony Burgess
4. "Kellyanne opened the car door and crawled into my bedroom. Her face was puffy and pale and fuzzed-over. She just came in and said: "Ashmol, Pobby and Dingan are maybe-dead." That's how she said it."
Author: Ben Rice
5. "I still say Kellyanne could do with some real-live mates," went on my dad, as if he was talking to someone inside his beer.Mum had stomped off into the kitchen. "Maybe they are real!" she shouted back at him after rattling a few plates together. "Ever thought about that, ye of little bloody imagination?"
Author: Ben Rice
6. "I suffer from a genetic flaw, which is that my mother was a hopeless Pollyanna."
Author: Bill Ayers
7. "- Az ember néha hamarabb kiönti a szívét egy idegennek, mint azoknak, akiket ismer. Miért van ez így?- Talán azért, mert az idegen olyannak lát bennünket, mint amilyenek vagyunk, s nem olyannak, amilyennek látni szeretne."
Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
8. "The secret weapon is cucumber.'Solange sat all the way up. 'Jasmine, cover your ears.'MaryAnn, Juliette and Jasmine burst out laughing.'Sheesh, Solange. Get your mind out of the gutter.''MY mind is just fine, thank you. It's MaryAnn's I'm concerned about.''You put them on your eyes,' MaryAnn said, laughing even harder."
Author: Christine Feehan
9. "My wife forever has made fun of my Yanni CD that I had in college."
Author: Christopher Gorham
10. "In all probability the Human Genome Project will, someday, find that I carry some recessive gene for optimism, because despite all my best efforts I still can't scrape together even a couple days of hopelessness. Future scientists will call it the Pollyanna Syndrome, and if forced to guess, I'd say that mine has been a way-long case history of chasing rainbows."
Author: Chuck Palahniuk
11. "I know it sounds Pollyannish and 'Kumbaya'-like, but I find that the more that you expose Americans to the diversity of what's going on in China and vice versa, the more people find that there is this broad middle path. And so I'm a strong advocate of intense visits and dialogue back and forth."
Author: Dennis C. Blair
12. "Satire is the antidote to Pollyanna and Dr. Pangloss. It focuses our gaze sharply upon the the contrast between things as they are and as they should be."
Author: Edgar Johnson
13. "On the way home I absently minded (you know what I mean) went through a stop sign in Hyannis so of course there was a police car to apprehend me. A soft answer turnethed away wrath, fortunately."
Author: Edward Gorey
14. "Az ember vagy elfogadja Hollywoodot olyannak, amilyen, mint például én tettem, vagy megvetoen legyint rá, ahogyan olyasmire szokás, amit nem értünk."
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
15. "Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna, and thousands died for it."
Author: George R.R. Martin
16. "He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood."
Author: George R.R. Martin
17. "Love is sweet, dearest Ned, but it cannot change a man's nature. -- Lyanna"
Author: George R.R. Martin
18. "YANNI "JOHNNY" BACOLAS: I would always tell him, "Layne [Staley], why don't you take off, go to some deserted island, hire the best counselors, and just kick this shit? Go for six months if you have to." And his rebuttal was, "Johnny, I have celebrity status and I have a lot of money. I could fly planes out to deliver me the dope if I wanted to — and that's what I would do. I can't escape."
Author: Greg Prato
19. "Anar calúva tielyanna"
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
20. "Az ember ilyennek vagy olyannak ítél valakit, azután pont az ellentétét látja meg benne. Eleinte szeret, majd a végén meggyulöl valakit; vagy kezdetben közömbös iránta, késobb pedig már imádja. Sosem lehetünk biztosak benne, ki vagy mi lesz létfontosságú a számunkra, sem abban, hogy kinek vagy minek tulajdonítunk majd jelentoséget. Meggyozodéseink múlandóak és ingatagok, még azok is, amelyeket a legszilárdabbaknak vélünk. Akár az érzelmeink. Nem szabadna bíznunk magunkban."
Author: Javier Marías
21. "Olyannak akarta érezni a világot, mint ahol csak most kezdodik az élet – holott valójában épp véget érni készült."
Author: Jeffrey Eugenides
22. "If the prime directives were followed a little more accurately here on earth, I mean it sounds somewhat Pollyanna, but I think people would certainly get along better."
Author: Jonathan Frakes
23. "He looked like a Yanni fan at an Iron Maiden Concert."
Author: Kelley Armstrong
24. "This is what we do in this family, Bryanna. We protect our own."
Author: Kristen Proby
25. "But I called, as we came near, to one who stood beside the water's edge, asking him what men did in Astahahn and what their merchandise was, and with whom they traded. He said, "Here we have fettered and manacled Time, who would otherwise slay the gods." I asked him what gods they worshipped in that city, and he said, "All those gods whom Time has not yet slain." (from "Idle Days on the River Yann")"
Author: Lord Dunsany
26. "A no jobban benn él az élet folyásában, olyannak veszi az életet, amilyen."
Author: Marie Louise Von Franz
27. "So what's all the fuss?" he asked instead. "Where's all the shit coming from?"Dean told him. He tried to make it concise, using flash words such as "fire" and "conspiracy" and "bigfreakin' shape-shifter," and told Roland, too, about Miri and Robert and Kevin. The red jade."You're both fucked," Roland said. "Seriously. I'll start arranging the funeral now.""I want a happy boss. Where's the positive reinforcement?""Buried with Pollyanna in my backyard. Which is where you'll be if you don't play your cards right."
Author: Marjorie M. Liu
28. "Balance in life is the key, as Aristotle taught us. Nobody likes a naive Pollyanna, but neither do we like to be around people who are constantly complaining and finding fault."
Author: Mark Skousen
29. "When Cole entered his darkened room on the Benedict, he said, "Hello, Kenneth."There was a rich chuckle from the corner of the room"My, my! How is it you knew I'd be here?" said Kenneth.Cole smiled to himself. Since leaving MaryAnn's house, he'd been saying "Hello, Kenneth" each time he turned a corner or entered a new space, figuring that eventurally he'd be right."
Author: Michael Rubens
30. "I try to keep things as varied as possible in my career, and after playing something as fun and over the top as Maryann on 'True Blood,' I wanted to find something antithetical to that."
Author: Michelle Forbes
31. "Gospel hope keeps us from being muted by being either a naive Pollyanna or a despairing Cassandra. Voices of warning are meant to be heard, not just raised."
Author: Neal A. Maxwell
32. "We are swimming upstream against a great torrent of disorganization...In this, our main obligation is to establish arbitrary enclaves of order and system...It is the greatest possible victory to be, to continue to be, and to have been. No defeat can deprive us of the success of having existed for some moment of time in a universe that seems indifferent to us.This is no defeatism...The declaration of our own nature and the attempt to build up an enclave of organization in the face of nature's overwhelming tendency to disorder is an insolence against the gods and the iron necessity that they impose. Here lies tragedy, but here lies glory too...All this represents the manner in which I believe I have been able to add something positive to the pessimism of...the existensialists. I have not replaced the gloom of existence by a philosophy which is optimistic in any Pollyanna sense, but...with a positive attitude toward the universe and toward our life in it."
Author: Norbert Wiener
Author: Peter Boghossian
34. "Having bad experiences sometimes helps; it makes it clearer what it is youshould be doing. I know that sounds very Pollyannaish but it's true. People who have had only good experiences aren't very interesting. They may be content, and happy after a fashion, but they aren't very deep. It may seem a misfortune now, and it makes things difficult, but well—it's easy to feel all the happy, simple stuff. Not that happiness is necessarily simple. But I don't think you're going to have a life like that, and I think you'll be the better for it. The difficult thing is to not be overwhelmed by the bad patches. You mustn't let them defeat you. You must see them as a gift—a cruel gift, but a gift nonetheless."
Author: Peter Cameron
35. "He told me to not let my friends throw my clothes out of the window," she paused and looked pointedly at Sally, who had the good sense to look sheepish, "because he had to get my clothes back – which he called souvenirs – from the wolves who apparently found them." She chuckled to herself, knowing she was once again the color of a beet."And from the tone in his voice, said souvenirs must've been my womanly garments."Jacque laughed. "Did you just call your bras and panties 'womanly garments'?""That is classic." Sally laughed along."Could you two Pollyannas focus, please?"
Author: Quinn Loftis
36. "I kind of hate Nick right now, too, but there's someone else higher on my list, someone I hate more than Saddam Hussein and any asshole named Bush combined, hate more than that fuckhead who canceled 'My So-Called Life' and left me with a too-small boxed DVD set that does not answer the questions whether Angela and Jordan Catalano did it, or if Patty and Graham got a divorce, or if there really was something to all that lesbian subtext between Rayanne and Sharon."
Author: Rachel Cohn
37. "If I'd found out that Norman Mailer liked me, I'd have killed myself. I think he was too hung up. I'm glad Kurt Vonnegut didn't like me either. He had problems, terrible problems. He couldn't see the world the way I see it. I suppose I'm too much Pollyanna, he was too much Cassandra. Actually I prefer to see myself as the Janus, the two-faced god who is half Pollyanna and half Cassandra, warning of the future and perhaps living too much in the past—a combination of both. But I don't think I'm too over optimistic."
Author: Ray Bradbury
38. "It takes only one bad amp to turn your ears to oatmeal: That's how old hippies became Yanni fans."
Author: Rob Sheffield
39. "It's not human to let go of love, even when it's dead. We expected one of these monthlyanniversaries to be the Final Goodbye. We figured that we'd said all our goodbyes, and given up all the tears we had to give. We'd passed the testand would get back what we'd lost. But instead, every anniversary it hurt more, and every anniversary it felt like she was further away from comingback. The idea that there wouldn't be a final goodbye—that was a hard goodbye to say in itself and, at that point, still an impossible goodbye. Noprivate eye has to tell you it's a long goodbye."
Author: Rob Sheffield
40. "We can't make love out here. It's freezing!" Maryanne cried.A boyishly beseeching look lit up his eyes. "We would heat up quickly.""It's fine for you," she protested. "You only need one part of your body, and you'll be sliding that into warmth."
Author: Sharon Page
41. "Filozófusok és pszichológusok tanakodhatnak, hogy mi az, ami létezhet, és mi az, ami nem, de mi, a hétköznapokban élo kisemberek kiigazodunk a világban, és el is fogadhatjuk olyannak, amilyen. Ami velem most történik, az valós és létezo."
Author: Stephen King
42. "A corollary of this has been that Christians have thought that they should only create art with a Pollyanna quality to it: paintings of birds and kittens, movies that extol family life and end happily, songs that are positive and uplifting – in short, works of art that show a world that is almost unfallen where no one experiences conflict and where sin is naughty rather than wicked."
Author: Steve Turner
43. "Bloody rain" says Mr ChiversBouncing a basketballOn the one dry patch of courtbloody rain" he nods to our Sports classAnd gives us the afternoon off.Bloody rain all rightAs Annabel and I run to Megalong Creek hutFaster than we ever have in Chivers's classAnd the exercise we have in mindWe've been training for all yearBut I doubt if old ChiversWill give us a medal if he ever finds out.We high jump into the hutAnd strip downClimb under the blanketsAnd cheer the bloody rain As it does a lap or twoAround the mountainWhile Annabel and meEmbrace like winners shouldLike good sports doAs Mr. Chivers sips his third coffeeAnd twitches his bad kneeFrom his playing daysWhile miles awayAnnabel and IScore a convincing victoryAnd for once in our school lifeThe words "Physical Education"Make sense…"
Author: Steven Herrick
44. "When people pose the question, are you "coxom", Tom Conrad? I like to pose a question back at them: Is J.K. Rowling actually a witch? Is Thomas Harris the no. 1 serial killer in the the US, did Yann Martell really spend a lifetime eating pie?Of course, as far as I know J.K. Rowling is not a witch, but instead is a rather lovely and talented writer. As for that Thomas Harris (equally talented), I very much suspect he isn't actually a serial killer at all, or if he is, he's involved in the biggest case of double bluff… ever! As for Yann Martell, well, as everyone with half a brain knows his book is actually concerned with a mathematical constant, so ignore the dumb pie joke. Hm :/"
Author: Tom Conrad
45. "Repetition is important in the training not only of animals but also of humans." Yann Martel in Life of Pi, Page 25"
Author: Yann Martel
46. "When you hear 'Truth of Touch,' I believe you recognize that it is me; however it's not the typical Yanni album."
Quotes About Yann Pictures